Mark and Paula Hurd Court

5,996 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ScottS
Born_A_Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Floor, not Court.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10159730111739497&id=87236249496

"Thank you Paula Hurd for your generosity and your family's commitment to Preparing Champions for Life.

This gift will be honored through the naming of the Mark & Paula Hurd Floor at the Baylor Basketball Pavilion: baylorbea.rs/3y7DbzN"

Stranger
this is one of the reasons Kim left. Fact,
I'm a Bearbacker
Born_A_Bear
And as Paul Harvey would say, "and that is the rest of the story.
allstate2000
This Mark Hurd?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/mark-hurd-brilliant-ceo-career-legacy-2019-10%3famp
GarlandBear84
Yes
Jacques Strap
Baylor leadership responds to the death of Board of Regents vice chair Mark Hurd

Quote:

Hurd played tennis on scholarship while he was a student at Baylor, and served a role in establishing the nation's No. 1 ranked tennis facility in 2011, Hurd Tennis Center at Baylor, which was previously named the Hurd Tennis Building. Mack B. Rhoades IV, vice president and director of intercollegiate athletics at Baylor, said he referred to Hurd as a "trusted friend" and someone who has played an important role in contributing generously to Baylor.
fredbear
They have been so generous to Baylor. We are grateful!
whitetrash
So we will have the Hurd Howdy Hut and the Hurd Hoopy Hut, on opposite sides of the highway?
PartyBear
If the graphic I saw (it is also posted in the OP) of the floor is an accurate depiction of the floor in the new arena, it looks much better than the new floor they put down in Ferrell Center a couple of years ago.
ABC BEAR
whitetrash said:

So we will have the Hurd Howdy Hut and the Hurd Hoopy Hut, on opposite sides of the highway?
Baylor is not pursuing a policy of Hurd immunity in 2021 or beyond.
Born_A_Bear
Is there another Mark Hurd?
Proud 1992 Alum
The Hurds were also one of the 5? founding donors for McLane Stadium along with Drayton, John Eddie Williams, Walter Umphrey, and Bob Simpson.
boatergal
Jacques Strap said:

Baylor leadership responds to the death of Board of Regents vice chair Mark Hurd

Quote:

Hurd played tennis on scholarship while he was a student at Baylor, and served a role in establishing the nation's No. 1 ranked tennis facility in 2011, Hurd Tennis Center at Baylor, which was previously named the Hurd Tennis Building. Mack B. Rhoades IV, vice president and director of intercollegiate athletics at Baylor, said he referred to Hurd as a "trusted friend" and someone who has played an important role in contributing generously to Baylor.

Mark and Paula Hurd have given millions of dollars to Baylor in a wide variety of areas from academics to the Welcome Center to McLane to the new basketball arena. I was a student at Baylor with Mark and he was a very intelligent, talented man. I am grateful that Paula Hurd has carried on with giving major donations to Baylor.
Proud 1992 Alum
Especially since she is a UT grad. She is on the Baylor Board of Regents. I think one of her daughters may be a student or graduate of Baylor.
whitetrash
Proud 1992 Alum said:

The Hurds were also one of the 5? founding donors for McLane Stadium along with Drayton, John Eddie Williams, Walter Umphrey, and Bob Simpson.

Paul Foster was the 6th.
boatergal
Proud 1992 Alum said:

Especially since she is a UT grad. She is on the Baylor Board of Regents. I think one of her daughters may be a student or graduate of Baylor.
I believe the Hurd's daughter has graduated from Baylor. Paula is obviously fully aware of Mark's love for Baylor. I remember several interviews with the Hurds over the years as well as articles in Baylor Magazine. It is so unfortunate for his family that Mark passed away so young.
Bone Squad
We could have honored a 3 time national championship coach, which I personally have been saying for years anyway. We chose to sell out for money though. I hope someone threw in 30 pieces of silver as a bonus for Mack.
MaxTeller
I've had dinner with the Hurds when Mark was still alive. They both love(d) Baylor.
fredbear
Bone squad you're writing a check that you can't cash. Unless you can make up the difference in dollars, best to be quiet. Cheap piety doesn't build field houses. Mulkey would have benefited from the field house and playing on the Hurd floor. No doubt BU would have honored her after her retirement, appropriate time, in a very meaningful way. But she pouted and left the party, so only time will tell how her legacy will be written. One thing is sure, it will now never be what it would have been if she had written her last chapter here. In time, She will regret her rash, ego driven decision.
Bone Squad
Good call. Millionaires can share opinions. All the other peasants should pipe down.

Real inspiring stuff.
Adriacus Peratuun
Bone Squad said:

We could have honored a 3 time national championship coach, which I personally have been saying for years anyway. We chose to sell out for money though. I hope someone threw in 30 pieces of silver as a bonus for Mack.
Because we should simply disregard all the teachings [Biblical or otherwise] about fiscal responsibility.

Seem to remember that Baylor was "honoring" that former coach with some fairly sizable paychecks and bonuses. And, as she liked telling folks, a new Corvette every year.

But why let the truth get in the way of a sanctimonious rant......

Bone Squad
There is absolutely a difference between paying an honor to someone and fulfilling a contractual obligation. One they had to do. The other they obviously did not. I stand by my opinion, sanctimonious though you may find it, that Baylor should have taken that additional step.

You can get right out of town with your invocation of the Bible's teachings on fiscal responsibility, though. And not even necessarily because that's untrue, but because that certainly was not the school's basis for this decision. If they were guided primarily by Biblical principles, they wouldn't be building a basketball stadium. They'd be feeding hungry kids with that money, or helping with the crisis at the border, or funding pregnancy help centers, or increasing need-based scholarships to underprivileged students. And hey, maybe it's the speck in my eye that leads me to being ok with them building an arena in the first place. But you don't believe any more than I do that they opened up the scripture and found God's instructions on enticing donations for a basketball arena.
chorne68
I appreciate the Hurds and their love for Baylor. Mrs. Hurd, not even a Baylor graduate donated millions to our new basketball field house. Great that they named it after them. I hope many more people that can afford donations do like wise.
fredbear
Gratitude is a rare gift. So grateful to the Hurds for enriching the Baylor experience for all students, rich or poor! And for the great experience all the elementary kids in the Waco area will have as they get to attend those pro Bono wbb games.
Jacques Strap
chorne68 said:

I appreciate the Hurds and their love for Baylor. Mrs. Hurd, not even a Baylor graduate donated millions to our new basketball field house. Great that they named it after them. I hope many more people that can afford donations do like wise.
That is how I feel too. +1
IowaBear
You act as though Kim's legacy isn't already written. She's a 3x time national champ. Her legacy's written dude. She's amongst the very best the woman's game has seen period end of discussion. I wouldn't bet against her winning another at LSU either. Kim's gone we've all acknowledged that. But the fact that you and several others question what her legacy will be simply because she left is laughable
BaylorRocks
Regardless of your personal opinion, I just ask everyone to be knowledgeable of how this truly works. The school, not Ms Hurd (donor), made the decision to put the Hurd's name on the court (not Kim's) to honor the gift (money). Ms Hurd did not request it nor require it. Kim approached 2 Star and simply asked for the honor. Liberal Linda and 2 Star made the decision, not the donor(s), period.

Decisions like this are business decisions, focused on and all about managing and maintaining a pipeline of the Top 1% of donations.

Sic'em
fredbear
Kim is a hall of fame member
3 nattys
No question there
But she did not leave well.
Pat leave Tennessee, Geno leave Uconn?
Real legacies are made finishing the race before you. Baylor will not honor her the way she should have been if she stayed. U can't fix that she walked on us. She quit her marathon at 22 miles to go run a 5k! All over ego issues on both sides. I wish her well, but I'd bet against statues and endless accolades now. Her choice. Her mistake. Hope the best for her.
BUatbirth
zunooreo said:

Regardless of your personal opinion, I just ask everyone to be knowledgeable of how this truly works. The school, not Ms Hurd (donor), made the decision to put the Hurd's name on the court (not Kim's) to honor the gift (money). Ms Hurd did not request it nor require it. Kim approached 2 Star and simply asked for the honor. Liberal Linda and 2 Star made the decision, not the donor(s), period.

Decisions like this are business decisions, focused on and all about managing and maintaining a pipeline of the Top 1% of donations.

Sic'em
You are absolutely right. You are also correct that Kim "simply asked for the honor"...that's a nice way of putting it.
I may be in the minority on this, then again, maybe not...The very idea that someone would have the ego large enough, and a seemingly total lack of humility, to walk into their bosses office and demand...oh, I'm sorry "simply ask for the honor"... of having a honor bestowed on their self. Really?! Then, absolutely wigg out over not getting the answer that person wants. But wait, there's more...then, go over your bosses head and demand, sorry "simply ask", for the same from the company president. Again, not getting their way, quit to work for another company. Are you kidding me?! Absolutely within that person's right...but my gosh. Again, to me, the very idea that someone, ANYONE, would go down this road is repulsive. Fred bear makes a good point above. This was imperfect people, making imperfect decisions...everyone must live with the consequences.
Wicked_Wombat
Dude - get over it...a massively generous donor gave money and BU recognized it...that's how things work. KM was an employee. We paid her...a ton (tens of millions)...her kid(s) studied at BU for free...how much did she donate to the university?
BaylorRocks
BUatbirth said:

zunooreo said:

Sic'em
You are absolutely right. You are also correct that Kim "simply asked for the honor"...that's a nice way of putting it.
I may be in the minority on this, then again, maybe not...The very idea that someone would have the ego large enough, and a seemingly total lack of humility, to walk into their bosses office and demand...oh, I'm sorry "simply ask for the honor"... of having a honor bestowed on their self. Really?! Then, absolutely wigg out over not getting the answer that person wants. But wait, there's more...then, go over your bosses head and demand, sorry "simply ask", for the same from the company president. Again, not getting their way, quit to work for another company. Are you kidding me?! Absolutely within that person's right...but my gosh. Again, to me, the very idea that someone, ANYONE, would go down this road is repulsive.
Yep, being nice. You and I, my friend, are on the same page here. Miss pouty face picked up her marbles and stomped off from the game. A poor look that absolutely should tarnish her Baylor legacy. Maybe not her professional record, and career HOF'er accolades, but her Baylor legacy for sure.

Kim Mulkey's ego and arrogance has been obvious and the front and center of the program for at least a decade now. In the end, she let it get the best of her personally. Kim Mulkey has believed that SHE is the show for a very long time now. Mind you, she's not alone in this regard in coaching circles, but in her head she is. Above the school. Above her own players. And to a great extent, like all in this circle, the fans themselves helped put her there. Only the truly blinded blue-hair fans have been unable to see it.

You treat someone like a god, and sooner or later they start believing they are.

Good luck to Coach Mulkey. But I am not down or shattered that she left. A new coach will be very refreshing for Baylor IMO......win or lose.

Sic'em
blueeyedbear
zunooreo said:

BUatbirth said:

zunooreo said:

Sic'em
I may be in the minority on this, then again, maybe not...The very idea that someone would have the ego large enough, and a seemingly total lack of humility, to walk into their bosses office and demand...oh, I'm sorry "simply ask for the honor"... of having a honor bestowed on their self. Really?! Then, absolutely wigg out over not getting the answer that person wants. But wait, there's more...then, go over your bosses head and demand, sorry "simply ask", for the same from the company president. Again, not getting their way, quit to work for another company. Are you kidding me?! Absolutely within that person's right...but my gosh. Again, to me, the very idea that someone, ANYONE, would go down this road is repulsive.
Yep, being nice. You and I, my friend, are on the same page here. Miss pouty face picked up her marbles and stomped off from the game. A poor look that absolutely should tarnish her Baylor legacy. Maybe not her professional record, and career HOF'er accolades, but her Baylor legacy for sure.

Kim Mulkey's ego and arrogance has been obvious and the front and center of the program for at least a decade now. In the end, she let it get the best of her personally. Kim Mulkey has believed that SHE is the show for a very long time now. Mind you, she's not alone in this regard in coaching circles, but in her head she is. Above the school. Above her own players. And to a great extent, like all in this circle, the fans themselves helped put her there. Only the truly blinded blue-hair fans have been unable to see it.

You treat someone like a god, and sooner or later they start believing they are.

Good luck to Coach Mulkey. But I am not down or shattered that she left. A new coach will be very refreshing for Baylor IMO......win or lose.

Sic'em
Couldn't have summed it up any better myself. Almost a mirror of J and J..
BUatbirth
zunooreo said:

BUatbirth said:

zunooreo said:

Sic'em

Sic'em
Amen...I knew you were being nice. I played off the kindness. I'm grateful for all the accomplishments and accolades afforded to Baylor and Lady Bear basketball through her and by her. The best leaders lead with humility and treat all those around them with respect. These are just two. One can be an "effective" leader while lacking some, or even most, of the best traits. It's almost always a person with a strong personality, gifted in their area of expertise, accomplishing through a force of will. I had a CEO that fell into this category. We had a saying about this person...(I'll clean it up) "###### may be a jerk, but at least ###### is our jerk."
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Proud 1992 Alum said:

Paul Foster the other
Brian Ethridge
Staff
zunooreo said:

Sic'em
You are wrong on part of it.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.