Kalani Brown Waived

5,076 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ABC BEAR
Wbbfan29
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wbbfan29
Meladee
Thought this might happen.
Mulder
This move doesn't surprised me.
There are only so many spots in the league.
I doubt if any team picks her up.
An Objective Fan of The Former Baylor Lady Bears.
fredbear
She is more than worthy of the WNBA. She will get another chance. There are only so many spots, but fewer athletic girls who are 6'6".
Bearprof
In an uptempo league, Brown will find it difficult to get too many minutes. Has size but not speed. Wish her the best.
Bear2019
When you've only got a league of 12 teams...with an average roster of 11-12 players?...What's that? About 135-140 players total in the entire league?* That's a lot of competitive pressure coming up from the bottom out of the college ranks. Very little room for error. Overseas teams will have some room for her, not a problem. Wish the young lady well. And so grateful for what she did for Baylor.

*(Perspective: You can seat the entire WNBA roster of all 12 teams inside of one 737 aircraft..and still have seats for all 12 team's coaching staff.)
BaylorRocks
CKM's "get the biggest girls we can down low and feed them the ball every time" game does not always translate to the (new) WNBA. And before you haters jump.....yes Brittney (superior height and athleticism) and Lauren (height and length) are the exceptions.

Wishing all the best for Kalani. She should easily be able to make a (much better) living and enjoy the game playing overseas than in the WNBA.

Sic'em
BUbackerinET
She has options, if she doesn't get picked up, domestically and doesn't want to play internationally, I bet Collen could find a place for her. IMO, she would do a good job coaching inside players, and could you imagine her on the recruiting trail?
BaylorRocks
BUbackerinET said:

She has options, if she doesn't get picked up, domestically and doesn't want to play internationally, I bet Collen could find a place for her. IMO, she would do a good job coaching inside players, and could you imagine her on the recruiting trail?
Appreciate the green-n-golden passion......but Asst Coach at a storied D-I P5 program? As silly as the "Nina should be Asst Coach" assertions. Even 2 Star knows better than that.......

Sic'em
ABC BEAR
BUbackerinET said:

.....or a potential LSU hire. She'd be going home too.
BUatbirth
Caddywampus said:

When you've only got a league of 12 teams...with an average roster of 11-12 players?...What's that? About 135-140 players total in the entire league?* That's a lot of competitive pressure coming up from the bottom out of the college ranks. Very little room for error. Overseas teams will have some room for her, not a problem. Wish the young lady well. And so grateful for what she did for Baylor.

*(Perspective: You can seat the entire WNBA roster of all 12 teams inside of one 737 aircraft..and still have seats for all 12 team's coaching staff.)
Great point Caddy. I'm reminded of a CNC statement..."It's not so much getting to the WNBA, but finding a way to STAY in the WNBA." Is that ever a true statement. Tough road.
ScottS
Because of Covid could Kalani get 1 more year at Baylor?
Task Force 2015
No,she used up her eligibility before Covid interfered with college athletics.
Scout Bear
Could we put a beard on her and try to pass her off as a grad transfer to play for us again?
bawitdaball
zunooreo said:

BUbackerinET said:

Appreciate the green-n-golden passion......but Asst Coach at a storied D-I P5 program? As silly as the "Nina should be Asst Coach" assertions. Even 2 Star knows better than that.......

Sic'em
Via socials she was very excited for Mulkey to be going to LSU. I would not expect her to end up back in Waco - she has plenty of years left internationally, at the very minimum.
BUbackerinET
I'm talking about a position coach - thought the post made that clear.
BUbackerinET
She also expressed on SM enthusiasm for Collen's move to Baylor.
WacoKelly83
BUbackerinET said:

She also expressed on SM enthusiasm for Collen's move to Baylor.

But she, like Mulkey, is a South Louisiana native and I believe her parents still live there. So LSU would probably be a very desirable job for her. Assuming Mulk has room or needs her.
BUbackerinET
Not disputing that, just pointing out as I originally stated, she has plenty of options, and if I'm CNC, I'm at least giving her a call. Hell, for all I know she has no interest in coaching, and may just want to turn to another career altogether. Anybody know her degree? (Is Kalani the one that went to law school?)
Bone Squad
I know this is just a message board and people can speculate about anything. But I will say I would be very surprised to see Kalani on Mulkey's staff.

1) Kalani's young and can still make plenty of money playing pro-ball overseas even if no one else in the WNBA picks her up.

2) I've never once heard Kalani express an interest in coaching (feel free to post any interviews to the contrary though).

3) I cannot think of a single former Lady Bear that Mulkey ever hired onto her staff, and there are plenty of them who have coached at some level or another. Off of the top of my head, that includes Nina Davis, Jhasmin Player, Niya Johnson, Jessika Stratton, Jordan Davis, Emily Niemann, and Melanie Hamerly. That's not to say she never would, but it suggests to me that having played for her does not necessarily give anyone a leg up against other qualified candidates.
Bone Squad
BUbackerinET said:

(Is Kalani the one that went to law school?)
That was Sune Agbuke. She is practicing law in Waco.
BUbackerinET
Thanks.
WacoKelly83
Kalani majored in communication studies. I'm too old to know what that is.
Bone Squad
WacoKelly83 said:

Presumably it focuses on the study of carrier pidgeons.
blackie
ScottS said:

Because of Covid could Kalani get 1 more year at Baylor?
I know you know this, but once you turn pro, your college career is over regardless of how many years of eligibility you might have left.
BUbackerinET
Agree on all points, especially point number 3.
Bear2019
Bone Squad said:

I know this is just a message board and people can speculate about anything. But I will say I would be very surprised to see Kalani on Mulkey's staff.

1) Kalani's young and can still make plenty of money playing pro-ball overseas even if no one else in the WNBA picks her up.

2) I've never once heard Kalani express an interest in coaching (feel free to post any interviews to the contrary though).

3) I cannot think of a single former Lady Bear that Mulkey ever hired onto her staff, and there are plenty of them who have coached at some level or another. Off of the top of my head, that includes Nina Davis, Jhasmin Player, Niya Johnson, Jessika Stratton, Jordan Davis, Emily Niemann, and Melanie Hamerly. That's not to say she never would, but it suggests to me that having played for her does not necessarily give anyone a leg up against other qualified candidates.
In response to #3: Makenzie (Robertson) Fuller

[url=https://www.instagram.com/makenzie.fuller/?hl=en][/url]
Bone Squad
Yes, that's true. I suppose I should revise to add the caveat and not related to her by blood.
historian
Yes, Makenzie was on her staff at Baylor.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Mulder
In the conversation about former players as assistant coaches, Makenzie Robertson Fuller, who was never recruited, doesn't count.

An Objective Fan of The Former Baylor Lady Bears.
ABC BEAR
Bone Squad said:

WacoKelly83 said:

Presumably it focuses on the study of carrier pidgeons.
I considered Communication Studies as a major at one time but developed an upper respiratory condition during Smoke Signals 101.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.