Oklahoma State's Ja'Mee Asberry

24,429 Views | 124 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Dcheetah
Adriacus Peratuun
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jpbu152001 said:

Adriacus Peratuun, I am not here to argue just to say hey I was one of those players could it factor in absolutely, to what level I don't know but to completely ignore it isn't correct. Personally my opinion is it should be acknowledged and then dropped. I guarantee you the coaches are prepared to be asked about it, if not then they aren't prepared. As someone who went thru a recruiting process (nothing like top 50 basketball player) and chose a school a lot of things factor into the decision and some things are more important to some than others. I can't tell you how many people, gay and straight asked me how it was to go to Baylor ( and continuing to support them) knowing I wasn't accepted. When I get a chance to share all the wonderful things at Baylor some can overlook what they disagree with and some can't.
I have students about to begin writing their master thesis and/or PhD dissertations maybe I will suggest they take it on so we can get you data points and quantitative data since data speaks more to you than personal experiences.

Not ignoring your personal experience, simply stating that any one personal experience is statistically meaningless [not personally meaningless, statistically meaningless]. Would Amazon, WalMart, Disney or Netflix change company policies based upon one customer review? No. Why? It doesn't move the meter. Your experience informs your opinion. But it doesn't establish you as a representative of the whole.

Pouring a single glass of water into the ocean and then speculating on its impact on sea level is basically the equivalent. The variety of other factors and the predictability of their impact is far too uncertain to allow anyone to draw any conclusions.

Not arguing your experience or opinion. Do disagree with the intellectual leap applying your personal experience as directly correlative. Same reason coaches look at season long stats over single game stats.
Jpbu152001
I choose Baylor so in your terms it didn't have correlation or causation for me. It's not black and white and there can be gray here. Also what sample size of personal experiences would indicate to you that maybe just maybe a gay player might take notice of whether or not their next home was known to be anti gay or at the minimum not gay friendly (this is not how I feel but is the perception)? We have had many and I mean gay athletes so to them it wasn't as important as a what made them choose Baylor. It is in no way an intellectual leap to say that this could factor into a 18 year old's decision. I would counsel any kid to never make a decision on only 1 reason. I would also argue to not be at least aware of it a possible factor is just sticking your head in the sand.
We are literally on the same side and I would love for every good recruit to want to attend my alma mater. That's not going to happen and that is the one of the best part of choosing a college it's your choice to try and find the place and program that fits you the best.
fredbear
Jpbu

I was not responding to you above. Sorry, thought that was obvious given your complex position. Did not mean to offend you in any way. And if AP and others seem quick to respond on the topic, it may be due, in part, to the fact that many on the board attacked Sophia Young's right to have a traditional opinion and still be effective as a coach to all players. She was given a beating for not waiving a rainbow flag. I'm not even sure what she would say on the topic now, and really, all we wanted is for her to be welcomed as the great coach, person, and BU and WNBA legend that she has been and not be attacked for a personal, religious belief. If you want space for your view, give others space to have the opposing view. I sense you do exactly that, so none of my darts are directed your way. Thanks for standing with BU given your differences and personal experiences, good and bad. Blessings. And we both can say sic em to ALL our players!
Jpbu152001
No problem, just wasn't sure and wanted to make sure! I agree 100 percent! Baylor students, for the most part, accept everyone and Baylor has so much to offer. This is actually one of the things I tell people when asked how I still support Baylor. Most of my teammates who were gay feel the same way, but we can't ignore that fact that some (how many and to what level who knows ) will hold the the perception of Baylor being anti gay and conservative against them when choosing a school. I would tell them to visit the school officially and see for themselves that people of all faiths, races, social economic status, ethnicity, and sexual orientation co exist on campus fairly well.
I am very excited that Sophia Young will be able to return to Baylor and be involved with the sport she obviously loves! She is a proven winner who also appears to be an amazing person. Anytime kids have a chance to be around people like that is is a good thing!
Also I rarely respond or post, definitely never to criticize anything, as I rarely have knowledge or info to add to the situation except in this case lol!
fredbear
Blessings, and thanks for embracing the complexities of being at BU. You do us good by telling the rest of the story. We can disagree and still embrace each other and say sic em together. Your welcome of Sophia is grace in action.
Adriacus Peratuun
My take is simple.

Is LGBT policy a potential recruiting issue? Yes. So are academics, geography, coaching staff, style of play, etc.

Where I tend to differ is what that means. Some folks think that Baylor needs to change its policy. I don't head down that path.

Baylor never fares well when it tries to be like UT, Stanford, UConn, etc. I think Baylor is most successful when it seeks its own unique path. Coach Drew & MBB are proof. Know our heritage & core constituency. Aim that direction. Pursue that path. We can't "out-woke" UT or Stanford. And trying to do so simply alienates Baylor's base. Baylor being Baylor hasn't prevented A&T from being dominant, WBB from winning championships, WT from being in the finals, & Softball from being in the CWS.

Why tear down something that may not be broken?
Jpbu152001
Where did I say change anything? I said acknowledge and move on. Like I said we are on the same side and agree more than we disagree. My point is if we don't acknowledge then we aren't being self aware and honest. Every school has pros and cons! If a recruit doesn't choose Baylor and this factors in than that decision then that just means it wasn't a good fit and I wish them luck with the school they chose.
fredbear
Let bu, with charity and grace, be who she be! Agreed.
Adriacus Peratuun
Jpbu152001 said:

Where did I say change anything? I said acknowledge and move on. Like I said we are on the same side and agree more than we disagree. My point is if we don't acknowledge then we aren't being self aware and honest.
The word "acknowledge" is used in many different ways with quite different meanings.

Can you explain [at least to me] which use/meaning you intend? Want to make sure I understand what you are saying.
Jpbu152001
This will be my last post on this it's a beautiful day where I am and I am heading out on the lake! I hope you too will have a great day!

To me acknowledge means - accept or admit the existence or truth of. Pretty standard definition. You already acknowledged it above so that is all I ask. Like everything else it is not the sole reason for any recruiting issues but to say it's nothing or irrelevant is just as incorrect.
BUbackerinET
I agree with you, and the comment about Cal intrigued me, because I can't recall the last time they won the P12 season or tournament, or even advanced in the NCAA tournament.
SirBearALot
I thought we had one more player transfer coming ? A big from USC ?
ctxbear
Adriacus Peratuun said:

My take is simple.

Is LGBT policy a potential recruiting issue? Yes. So are academics, geography, coaching staff, style of play, etc.

Where I tend to differ is what that means. Some folks think that Baylor needs to change its policy. I don't head down that path.

Baylor never fares well when it tries to be like UT, Stanford, UConn, etc. I think Baylor is most successful when it seeks its own unique path. Coach Drew & MBB are proof. Know our heritage & core constituency. Aim that direction. Pursue that path. We can't "out-woke" UT or Stanford. And trying to do so simply alienates Baylor's base. Baylor being Baylor hasn't prevented A&T from being dominant, WBB from winning championships, WT from being in the finals, & Softball from being in the CWS.

Two things about this...

1. Embracing all students as God created them and giving them equal value, worth, and opportunities is the right thing to do, whether or not UT or Stanford got there before us. That's not being "woke", it's expressing Christian love and hospitality.

2. With regards to this conversation, to compare what coach Drew has done with MBB ignores a glaring reality that I don't have data for, but I'm sure exists, and which I think few people who frequent this board would argue with-- The numbers of LGBTQ student-athletes in men's sports are dwarfed by the numbers of LGBTQ student-athletes in women's sports. Embracing Conservative, Mega-Church Evangelicalism is a much better business move in MBB than it is in WBB.
Eball
ctxbear said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

My take is simple.

Two things about this...

1. Embracing all students as God created them and giving them equal value, worth, and opportunities is the right thing to do, whether or not UT or Stanford got there before us. That's not being "woke", it's expressing Christian love and hospitality.

2. With regards to this conversation, to compare what coach Drew has done with MBB ignores a glaring reality that I don't have data for, but I'm sure exists, and which I think few people who frequent this board would argue with-- The numbers of LGBTQ student-athletes in men's sports are dwarfed by the numbers of LGBTQ student-athletes in women's sports. Embracing Conservative, Mega-Church Evangelicalism is a much better business move in MBB than it is in WBB.
#2 seems like you are enforcing a stereotype? Not a very equity based view?
Dcheetah

slimecap
74Bear said:

Wbbfan29 said:

Rumor that we are getting an All-American post player from USC.
Angel Jackson?
Above post dated June 3, 2021
-------------------------------------------

UPDATE
Feb 1, 2022
TRANSFER PORTAL
6-5 Angel Jackson has entered the portal a 2nd time

Her 1st portal entry was April 2021
but decided to remain at USC after the head coach change
Brusinbear2001
Now it is a matter of do we go for her or do we need to wait and see what else will come out of the portal?
Lynnp550
So, Rickea and Angel, TWO Jacksons in the portal.
Brusinbear2001
If we could get those two and maybe one more pure shooter we are cooking!!!
Dcheetah
I would wait on another Center but that's just me. Earlier buzz was we had a foreign big waiting in the wings but don't know the veracity of that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.