Inexplicable Pessimism About Recruiting

11,234 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Buforlife
Adriacus Peratuun
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Seeing so many pessimistic comments about recruiting that make no sense to me.

How can anyone know the recruiting prowess of the new staff without seeing even one full recruiting cycle?
How many of you would think it fair to have your work evaluated with zero observation?

To Date:

Scrambling for 2021 transfers.

Data: got a high quality PG from OSU, was able to flip a Top 100 recruit.

Evaluation: given the situation and VERY late start, really solid success.

Data: gotten numerous top recruits [2022 & 2023] on campus for Unofficial & Official visits.

Evaluation: solid first step.

What NO ONE knows: how successful the new staff can be.

What hints we do see:

greater emphasis on recruiting than former staff. More bodies going more places.
similar recruiting budget. Able to send entire staff [4 recruiters] across the country for multiple events.
players are interested enough to visit.

What facts we can read in:

the new O should be FAR easier to sell to players.
player professional development is a key selling point.
Baylor is still Baylor......a name brand.

Reality:

creating solid relationships with 8-12 Summer teams is enough buy-in to be nationally competitive. Current/Former Baylor players played on and/or currently sponsor such teams.
Given the visible acceptance by current/former players, the new staff should be able to go to SA Finest, CyFair Elite, ProSkills, etc. and feel like they can be top competitors for recruits.

Only time will tell how well this staff recruits. No one........no one.........can offer an informed opinion based solely on the current data.

Keys:

Make a deep run in the Tourney this year.
Highlight the new O.
Build relationships.
Hope NaLyssa Smith grows her game and gets drafted very high.

Next May [2023 commitments].......and unlikely any earlier.......we will begin to understand the recruiting prowess of the new staff. 2022 recruits signing in November won't be a fair measuring stick due to the fact that most top recruits were committed before this staff was hired. Any solid 2022 recruits [and top transfers] they land are pluses.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Had a good time interviewing two standouts yesterday and another 2025 today. Trying to get another 2023 today, but her game schedule might not allow it.
GarlandBear84
With so many starters likely leaving after this next season we might see some grad transfers to fill those spots until recruiting fills the cupboard.
fredbear
Baylor has 3 nattys, a new field house coming (state of the art), one of the largest wbb budgets in the nation, a new dynamo personality coach who knows the WNBA, and top ten attendance. Yep, I expect recruiting to fall in line like always. I Appreciate the foundation KM built, and expect NC to build upon it nicely. The staff is hungry and hard working with a great product to sale. Sic em.

AP thanks for your usual, thoughtful analysis
Lion82
What I can't understand is that if the previous staff were not good recruiters, and their players who got drafted we're not good enough for the WNBA and they we're not player's coaches and they ran an antiquated offense that every team they played knew what they were running before than ran it....how did they win 3 nc's, go to 12 straight sweet 16's, win 11 straight big 12 championships, go 24-1 against Texas and have a competitive W/L record again UConn?

This Board is like 1984. What is isn't and what isn't is.

And by the way, it's a stretch to say we "flipped"
A top 60 recruit. Kendra followed greene from ole miss to Marquette to Baylor.

WNIT in '23
fredbear
There was no need to turn this thread bitter. KM was great, one of a kind, now we move forward. Period. Now be big enough to wish NC well and move on, Kim did. Why does every thread have to be a fight between old guard and new guard. I loved Kim and supported her fully, I will offer NC the same, unless I have reason three years from now to conclude otherwise. But the constant bitterness from the Kim or bust crowd is growing really old. The student athletes deserve our continued support, which includes getting behind their coach. They chose to stay with BU and we need to choose the same. Hope Kim wins every game she plays unless she plays BU.
Oldgrizzly
Bitter haters will be bitter haters. No need to waste emotional energy on them.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Lion82 said:

What I can't understand is that if the previous staff were not good recruiters, and their players who got drafted we're not good enough for the WNBA and they we're not player's coaches and they ran an antiquated offense that every team they played knew what they were running before than ran it....how did they win 3 nc's, go to 12 straight sweet 16's, win 11 straight big 12 championships, go 24-1 against Texas and have a competitive W/L record again UConn?

And by the way, it's a stretch to say we "flipped"
A top 60 recruit. Kendra followed greene from ole miss to Marquette to Baylor.

That is the definition of flipping a recruit.

You continue to strawman everything as a negative to your long lost love. She's gone. You're not Lloyd Dobbler and Diane Court.
KIA
Brian Ethridge said:

Had a good time interviewing two standouts yesterday and another 2025 today. Trying to get another 2023 today, but her game schedule might not allow it.
You interviewed an 8th grader?
Eball
I appreciate your post but I must have missed all the negative pessimistic posts about new coaches recruiting abilities? I have seen positives about the transfer and 2021 flip but little to no negative? Concern and wonder about next years roster size sure but that's just a fan thing isn't it? I feel better with 9 than 8 don't you?
baylor1984
Judge CNC results on the floor this year but recruiting shouldn't be judged till the 23 class. Hopefully both will be outstanding and will lead to conference championships, final fours and national championships.
BUBBFAN
Eball said:

I appreciate your post but I must have missed all the negative pessimistic posts about new coaches recruiting abilities? I have seen positives about the transfer and 2021 flip but little to no negative? Concern and wonder about next years roster size sure but that's just a fan thing isn't it? I feel better with 9 than 8 don't you?

And would feel even better with 10.
Eball
Amen
pwactwac
Great Lloyd reference!
Brian Ethridge
Staff
pwactwac said:

Great Lloyd reference!
It was that or the Sip and Gulp
Adriacus Peratuun
Lion82 said:

Try arguing with objective facts:

High School Recruits Post Griner/Sims:

[ol]
  • Sune Agbuke -role player
  • Sarah Andrews - role player [to date]
  • Kaitlin Bickle - role player
  • Kalani Brown - star
  • Micayla Buckner - transferred
  • Khadijah Cave -role player
  • Dekeiya Cohen - role player
  • Lauren Cox - star
  • Natalie Chou - transferred
  • Maryam Dauda - released from LOI
  • Nina Davis - star
  • Aquila DeCosta - transferred
  • Alyssa Dry - glued to bench
  • Queen Egbo - good player
  • Chardonae Fuqua - transferred
  • Alexandria Gulley - glued to bench
  • Hannah Gusters - transferred
  • Kristina Higgins - role player
  • Niya Johnson - good player
  • Juicy Landrum - great player
  • Beatrice Mompremier - transferred
  • Alexis Morris - transferred
  • Jordyn Oliver - transferred
  • Trinity Oliver - role player
  • Alexis Prince - good player
  • Didi Richards - star
  • Honesty Scott-Grayson - transferred
  • Ieshia Small - transferred
  • NaLyssa Smith - star
  • Justis Szczepanski - transferred
  • Moon Ursin - great player
  • Kristy Wallace - star
  • Imani Wright - transferred
  • [/ol]

33 High School Recruits:

11 transferred
    1 released from LOI before arrival
    2 permanently glued to bench
    6 role players
    1 role player [to date]
    3 good players
    2 great players
    6 star players

Almost half of the recruits contributed basically nothing [on court] to the program or transferred out.
    One third would fall in good+ categories.
    The remainder are role players.

Clear downward trend:

2018:

5 recruits: 1 Star, 1 good player, 1 role player, 2 transfers

2019:

1 transfer

2020:

1 role player [so far], 1 transfer

2021:

1 player released from LOI

The prior staff clearly was forced to use the transfer portal to mask holes caused by recruiting failures.

Eball
    Adriacus Peratuun said:

Lion82 said:

Try arguing with objective facts:

High School Recruits Post Griner/Sims:

[ol]
  • Sune Agbuke -role player
  • Sarah Andrews - role player [to date]
  • Kaitlin Bickle - role player
  • Kalani Brown - star
  • Khadijah Cave -role player
  • Dekeiya Cohen - role player
  • Lauren Cox - star
  • Natalie Chou - transferred
  • Maryam Dauda - released from LOI
  • Nina Davis - star
  • Aquila DeCosta - transferred
  • Alyssa Dry - glued to bench
  • Queen Egbo - good player
  • Chardonae Fuqua - transferred
  • Alexandria Gulley - glued to bench
  • Hannah Gusters - transferred
  • Kristina Higgins - role player
  • Niya Johnson - good player
  • Juicy Landrum - great player
  • Beatrice Mompremier - transferred
  • Alexis Morris - transferred
  • Jordyn Oliver - transferred
  • Trinity Oliver - role player
  • Alexis Prince - good player
  • Didi Richards - star
  • Honesty Scott-Grayson - transferred
  • Ieshia Small - transferred
  • NaLyssa Smith - star
  • Justis Szczepanski - transferred
  • Moon Ursin - great player
  • Kristy Wallace - star
  • Imani Wright - transferred
  • [/ol]

32 High School Recruits:

11 transferred
    1 released from LOI before arrival
    2 permanently glued to bench
    6 role players
    1 role player [to date]
    3 good players
    2 great players
    6 star players

Almost half of the recruits contributed basically nothing [on court] to the program or transferred out.
    One third would fall in good+ categories.
    The remainder are role players.

Clear downward trend:

2018:

5 recruits: 1 Star, 1 good player, 1 role player, 2 transfers

2019:

1 transfer

2020:

1 role player [so far], 1 transfer

2021:

1 player released from LOI

The prior staff clearly was forced to use the transfer portal to mask holes caused by recruiting failures.

You just can't help yourself...you are determined to convince everyone we better of with CNC than Kim fine believe what you want...I hope it is so...

3 National Championships and a level of excellence where in every year we in the National discussion for how long?

A top 7 left for CNC that can compete with just about any top 7 in the Country and an All - American who some are listing as the best player in the game for next year..CNC has an excellent chance to keep us up in the National discussion with a great run next year, which should be nothing but beneficial for her recruiting chances.

Once again for those who do not understand the recruiting game, the transfer portal now, roster sizes and management...you can look at the above and think oh my we missed on some but you have to look at the product on the CRT and it has been excellent...the transfers have more than improved our depth and chances year in and year out.

I stand ready to be amazed at seeing how much better CNC is in recruiting! I truly hope it is because if it dramatically improves our level of talent just imagine how dominate we will be on the floor?
    baylor1984
    In the end the results on the court are what matter. How you piece your team together or why you piece your team together in a certain fashion doesn't matter to me. Win that's the bottom line.
    IowaBear
    You and EBALL nailed it! First off EVERY top tier program has players transfer out. That's inevitable when you recruit at such a high level. Secondly the transfer portal is a HUGE part of recruiting nowadays. Every coach uses it. Even the almighty Geno who AP loves to use as a reference uses the portal. Kim left Baylor with a top 3 roster talent wise. A small roster but a very talented one. It shouldn't be real hard for CNC to have a successful campaign
    baylor1984
    IowaBear said:

You and EBALL nailed it! First off EVERY top tier program has players transfer out. That's inevitable when you recruit at such a high level. Secondly the transfer portal is a HUGE part of recruiting nowadays. Every coach uses it. Even the almighty Geno who AP loves to use as a reference uses the portal. Kim left Baylor with a top 3 roster talent wise. A small roster but a very talented one. It shouldn't be real hard for CNC to have a successful campaign
    It's an elite 8 or better roster. I would say that no matter who the coach is.
    Wbbfan29
    Let me fix this for you Ap lol

Justis -dismissed
    Alexis -dismissed
    Honesty- dismissed
    Chardonnay - did not transfer, but was bench player

Adriacus Peratuun
    Wbbfan29 said:

Let me fix this for you Ap lol

Justis -dismissed
    Alexis -dismissed
    Honesty- dismissed
    Chardonnay - did not transfer, but was bench player

Did not feel the need to dog the players over why they transferred.

The transfer not the why was the point being made.
    Adriacus Peratuun
    IowaBear said:

Even the almighty Geno who AP loves to use as a reference uses the portal.
    Electric car manufacturers are compared to Tesla.
    Comic based movies are compared to MCU.
    Men's basketball coaches are compared to Wooden or Coach K.
    Women's basketball coaches are compared to Auriemma.

That is how life [and sport] works. People/ventures are compared to the tops in their field.

The fact that you find it unusual speaks volumes about you.
    Wbbfan29
    O ok. Just didn't want people that don't know the lady bears that will be confused on players leaving because of choice rather than those that did not. But you may proceed with your point....
    IowaBear
    Ahh taking digs at me as person again. I'm utterly shocked. Big bad bully AP at it again from behind a screen. I was simply pointing out every program has transfers. You seem to be attempting to use that against Mulkey not sure why you felt the need to attack me.
    Adriacus Peratuun
    IowaBear said:

Ahh taking digs at me as person again. I'm utterly shocked. Big bad bully AP at it again from behind a screen. I was simply pointing out every program has transfers. You seem to be attempting to use that against Mulkey not sure why you felt the need to attack me.
    So.......

Commenting on your mindset that comparing coaches to the pinnacle in their profession is somehow weird or unusual is now a "dig", "bullying", etc.? Maybe you are simply thin skinned and don't like to have your viewpoints and mindset challenged.

Your comments are routinely similar. Kim won, she is great, critiques are unfair, you are bad.

Let me give you an analogy to consider:

Bobby Knight won 3 championships but was hopelessly out of date his last few yers coaching.

Jim Calhoun won 3 championships and is hopelessly out of date as he still coaches.

As every investment ad will tell you, past performance is not a guarantee of future performance.

And you are incredibly thin skinned and whiny.

Eball
    IowaBear said:

Eventually like all bullies if you punch back he/she will leave you alone or put you on ignore which he seems to have done with me!

You know he is knowledgeable about the game and as I have told him he posts some really good insights from time to time but he just can't help himself he comes across as the most obnoxious poster at times.

I make a living cross examining experts who are lot a smarter than me in their area but most are just so egotistical they can not imagine that a lawyer might have read an article or two on the subject and so my questions come with a purpose, to expose their bias in their own opinion, it may be right but they are hired guns to testify to what that other lawyer wants them to say or they would not be paid to give testimony. The problem is there is always another side...some one equally as smart and qualified who since they are paid by me come up with, guess what a different opinion....it is up to the judge or jury to believe the one who is right? Hah, you hope so, but usually it is the one most persuasive not necessarily the one who is right.

AP never will give an inch and he is always right in his opinion....if you make to many good opposing opinions in opposition he just puts you on ignore.
    IowaBear
    Thin skinned? Whiny? Says the guy who gets defensive anytime anyone questions him. HOW DARE ANYONE question AP! I'll leave it at this I can guarantee if we were sitting in a bar having this talk you wouldn't be running your mouth. I expect nothing less from you on here as your widely known as the ******* of these boards.
    baylor1984
    Adriacus Peratuun said:

IowaBear said:

So.......

Commenting on your mindset that comparing coaches to the pinnacle in their profession is somehow weird or unusual is now a "dig", "bullying", etc.? Maybe you are simply thin skinned and don't like to have your viewpoints and mindset challenged.

Your comments are routinely similar. Kim won, she is great, critiques are unfair, you are bad.

Let me give you an analogy to consider:

Bobby Knight won 3 championships but was hopelessly out of date his last few yers coaching.

Jim Calhoun won 3 championships and is hopelessly out of date as he still coaches.

As every investment ad will tell you, past performance is not a guarantee of future performance.

And you are incredibly thin skinned and whiny.

Was she out of date when she beat ND in 19 ? She certainly didn't have more talent .
    sicem45
    IowaBear said:

I think there are reasonable points although I understand not all of us will agree. Kim did great things here and obviously overall recruited well, but you cannot deny there was a slip in recruiting (HS kids mostly) ever since Smith and Egbo's recruiting class three years ago. What was the previous staff's saving grace is their ability to land top tier transfers, to their credit was a significant reason we won a natty a couple years ago, Chloe Jackson was the X factor.

2019 Class
    -Jordyn Oliver (limited playing time and transferred to Duke)

2020 Class
    -Sarah Andrews
    -Hannah Gusters (Came in not in shape and transferred to LSU)

2021 Class
    -Maryam Dauda (Asked for NLI release and is back in Arkansas, was rumored to request one even before Kim left).

Signing 4 prep recruits in the last 3 recruiting classes IMO is a bit of a failure. Now some of the kids they did sign are solid players but compare that to teams like UCONN, Stanford, South Carolina, etc we were falling off from overall talent and depth perspective. The implications of these recruiting effects will be seen the next two years, Kim got out in time before it came back to bite them. Why they struggled to recruit HS kids much recently, I am not sure. Part of me thinks they fell in love with the portal a little too much since Chloe Jackson success. Outside of S. Messer, no one on the current staff was a strong recruiter. Rice and Brock arent very big recruiters and IMO it seemed like a major reach to promote Rice to an assistant position this early in her career. Kim obviously is a hard worker but it felt she got out worked on the recruiting trail in recent years and depended on her resume for top kids to fall in her lap.

IowaBear
    I'm usually able to keep my cool. I've openly complimented AP but I've just had enough. But I apologize for the posting match I shouldn't have responded to him
    3rdgenbear
    Oldgrizzly said:

Bitter haters will be bitter haters. No need to waste emotional energy on them.

I think there may be a lot more hate and bitterness toward Kim than toward CNC. Respect the past, hope for the future.

Sic'em
    Eball
    IowaBear said:

I'm usually able to keep my cool. I've openly complimented AP but I've just had enough. But I apologize for the posting match I shouldn't have responded to him
    you good...AP had it out for Kim before she left...it just makes sense he has continued on with his dislike for her...he can't resist taking shots whenever he can....this whole thread is nothing but a set up by AP to take a shot at Kim while outwardly saying it was to counter the negative comments about CNC and her recruiting ability? Which is primarily a nonissue at this point time will tell and she did great with the late 21 and the OSU transfer...I certainly did not notice any strong attempts to shoot at CNC over recruiting per se...but here he comes and starts a thread where folks are already feeling happy about CNC and recent results creates a straw-man to trash Kim...classic....
    Reverend
    AP consistently belittles KM with endless citing of statistics which he believes are infallible. He then belittles anyone who simply cites her record. I'll go with her record and wait to see what kind of record NC achieves. I hope it's a good one.
    IowaBear
    It's clear more and more posters see right through him like you and I. It's even more funny that most are starting to call him out on it. The OP was a clear shot at Kim it's fairly obvious.
    Last Page
    Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.