Wnba vs Olympic team

55,265 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by elizabethasibley
fredbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Second team beat olympians. BG looks good, but some of the old UConn players are there by default and politics. No way any of the old hens are better than Ogunbowale and Williams who dominated the game.
TechDawgMc
Way too much about politics and Geno's comfort level. There probably aren't any international teams that can hang with them, but this isn't the best team the USA could have put together.
fredbear
For sure not the best. They will win Gold, but the second team took it to them from beginning to end. Take BG and Wilson from the Olympian team and add them to the WNBA all star team and you have a powerhouse new team. Can't imagine the selection discussions. "I know she is old and slow or I know she has been injured all season off and on, but they are collecting medals and Geno likes them because they are UConn." Time for the injured and has been to move over for the healthy and up and coming. No way to defend those selections when you observe head to head or head to injured on the bench comparisons last night.
caesarscott
there should be an age ceiling on team usa.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Screwing some talented ladies out of a lifetime experience.
baylor1984
Arike and Nneke should both be on the team. Arike was the MVP of the game last night.
BluesBear
Nneke used like a "slave" in a way .....10 years committing all that time and effort to the US National team but to always be left off the Olympic team.

Denied an opportunity to play for Nigeria. Geno shouldn't have the final say...

Put them both on the Men's team!!!
fredbear
Please don't say the s word, such use is belittling to those who experienced that horror. Really bad analogy to compare being cut from elite basketball team selection to slavery. Please think before posting insensitive remarks. I assume you meant no harm
BluesBear
I meant no harm but research up on history and you'll likely find in your blood line someone who once was a slave. Whether, they are black, white, red, yellow or brown - it existed everywhere and still does today in its' current form and in other forms - abusive fathers, mothers, sisters, brothers, relatives; child trafficking, etc....one could argue "it" is in greater numbers than what the perception was....

If you want to make a difference against it today - don't avoid the word; volunteer for organizations that fight it in the other forms I mentioned.

And for the record, one side of my family fled Nazi Germany prior to WW1 and the other half was expelled to the Western part of the US by our own US government.

fredbear
I don't avoid the word, but I don't use it lightly as you did. Not making a basketball team should never be compared to that, just don't do it.
historian
At least we can have a civil conversation about it on these boards. That's something we don't see often enough in our society. Kudos to both of you.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Chibears2
I thought the Olympic team was chosen by committee. Is it just the national team invites that are committee chosen? Didn't think the coaches had that much say.

Anyway, best teams are usually made up of a balanced mix of veteran experience and leadership and younger, perhaps hungrier and more athletic, players. Going too far either way is not good, but leaning toward the too old is much worse than toward the too young. At least there is future benefit from the latter
fredbear
Geno is on the committee. He is not the coach. But coach does influence too. Bottom line, no matter the straw man structure, the picks are still Under Geno's UConn politics.

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/31746723/uconn-coach-geno-auriemma-declines-address-nneka-ogwumike-us-olympic-team-omission

Geno protests a bit too much. Guilty.
fredbear
Team USA goes down again. No real "go to" guards with athleticism. N Collier doesn't seem to fit the team. Nostalgia will not win. Need our young athletes.
Heart
Was there a second game?
TxRainMkr
Old player UCONN politics not a good look for the USA.
slimecap
Chibears2 said:

I thought the Olympic team was chosen by committee.

June 21, 2021
US Olympic Women's Basketball Team Roster announced

2020 USA Basketball Women's National Team
Player Selection Committee
Carol Callan Chairperson, USA Women's National Team director
Geno Auriemma special advisor
Curt Miller WNBA Connecticut head coach
Bethany Donaphin WNBA league operations
Katie Smith athlete representative
- USA Basketball website

July 5, 2021
Carol Callan
U.S. women's national basketball team director since 1995
will be stepping down from her role
after the upcoming Tokyo Olympics
- Michelle Voepel, espn
fredbear
Lost to Australia. Blew 15 point lead. Slow and lazy.

Yes committee of one, Geno A. And collection of puppets.
historian
Olympic team should have Mulkey for their coach. She's got the spirit & personality. She's also get the 2nd best record in the country, only behind Geno. But I don't know if he has any Olympic experience. She does & has the gold medal to prove it.
Reverend
I'm afraid she'd be too hard on them. Trying to make a real "team" takes some work.
TxRainMkr
If Mulkey was the coach, they would actually have to play defense.
historian
I think you're both correct. I also think the team would perform better with Mulkey.
fredbear
KM once said she would be willing to coach, but would not serve for years as an assistant just to work her way up. Not playing second fiddle to Geno at anytime and did it want more time away from her kids. She deserves the chance.
fredbear
https://es.pn/3erScnY
elizabethasibley
Olympic associations and commercial sports organizations are mutually hatred. I am reminded of the division of Olympic soccer and classic soccer in the world sports rankings. I think that the division of the national teams is political manipulation of funding. Everyone forgets about sportsmen and I recently found a cool review https://studymoose.com/to-an-athlete-dying-young of a forgotten sports poem. We forget about people's needs for fuss and political games. An athlete is an unwitting character who fulfills a contract.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.