What the Asst. Coaching hires [as a whole] tell the fans.....

9,639 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by blackie
sicem45
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It was time to move on. Kim did good things here although when you look at body of work, she underachieved significantly only winning 3 titles in over 20 years with the teams she has had. She cannot outcoach teams when she gets to a certain point in the tournament most years. Her treatment of players was extremely poor at times and it hurt us in recruiting believe it or not, and this is coming from a few high profile AAU coaches. Players talk and word gets around about what goes on behind the scenes.

A bigger issue is she was becoming very toxic for those in the know behind the scenes. There is a reason Mack and others are happy she is gone. There is also a bigger reason Kim was failing to connect with recruits the last few years, people know why... Karma is a real thing.

The fact that some want Kim's name on the court is laughable. Nothing remotely special or deserving for that to happen.

Lets move forward. I am excited to watch Nicki contend for titles and be in more final fours frequently. Kim can go enjoy her gumbo and paycheck sitting at home come tourney time every other year. She is checked out and LSU was dumb enough to take the bait without doing their due diligence.
Reverend
NC's record is going to have to a lot better than 38-52 the next three years to meet the expectations. I know there are a lot of reasons for that record. But just sayin.
Bear2393
For sure, all about wins and losses. Kim won at an unbelievable clip. That is why she is in the hall of famenot whether she was well liked or not. All the comments saying she couldn't coach, she didn't know offense and couldn't recruit is really funny. She built the Baylor women's basketball program and won big time at an unbelievable clip. I hope we can continue to win like that but coaches like her don't come around just everday!
IowaBear
There' Been a massive bar set by some on here that requires CNC win nattys almost yearly. And I truly hope she does. The issue is if she doesn't you'll see excuses from that same crowd of people on here claiming she's miles better then Kim without coaching a single game. People like Sicem45 and others refuse to give credit where it's due and that's fine but like many bashing Kim have said they expect nattys every year. So it's win one this year or CNC failed period because that's how Kim was viewed by this same idiotic crowd.
Lion82
28 wins - 52 losses as a head coach. Let's hope she can dig out of that hole at Baylor.
WNIT in '23
Zerooreo
IowaBear said:

There' Been a massive bar set by some on here that requires CNC win nattys almost yearly. And I truly hope she does. The issue is if she doesn't you'll see excuses from that same crowd of people on here claiming she's miles better then Kim without coaching a single game. People like Sicem45 and others refuse to give credit where it's due and that's fine but like many bashing Kim have said they expect nattys every year. So it's win one this year or CNC failed period because that's how Kim was viewed by this same idiotic crowd.
No....not really about winning a "natty" next year. But when/if there's a few WNITs mixed in to the next few years we'll check back in with you to make sure you're still ok. Deal?
Edmond Bear
Zerooreo said:

IowaBear said:

No....not really about winning a "natty" next year. But when/if there's a few WNITs mixed in to the next few years we'll check back in with you to make sure you're still ok. Deal?

Both sides have moved to the extreme on CNC and Kim while trying to prove whatever point they are making - even being willing to sink down to citing out of context coaching records to make a terrible point.

Both sides are ridiculous.

It's okay to like and support CNC while also acknowledging the greatness of Kim Mulkey.

Reverend
Im sure we are all happy that you are above the fray.

Except for your comment about irrelevant coaching statistics. You may have sunk down below the clouds for just a second.
Brownbw
Hear is my take. I support CNC .Things will be run different than Mulkey ran things. To the question of whether moving to a more modern offense is better, I say that is to be determined. Look guys there is no question that Mulkey was an old school offense and a strong defense. But, and this is a big But, big 12 teams did not come close to catching up to Baylor no matter what offense they ran. Mulkey was not on the downside of her big 12 dominance. She is gone and now we will do things different. I will be a big supporter of CNC and am looking forward to different. See no reason we have to bash Mulkey in order to support Baylor's new coach. I will support both coaches but my heart is with Baylor and our CNC.
2023 ADOPT-A-BEAR
KADEN SIERACKI #74
6’8’’ 315 RF WOODLANDS
Big boy is going to put some hurt on big 12 foes
ABC BEAR
Lion82 said:

28 wins - 52 losses as a head coach. Let's hope she can dig out of that hole at Baylor.
As I wrote in a previous post, CNC doesn't have the resume' to support all the grandiose predictions of her tenure at Baylor. Since this years squad is capable of winning 28 games, CNC might just double her career win total in one season.
3rdgenbear
I like your perspective, Brownbw. There is no reason to attack CKM. For some, the bitterness is so palpable, it affects every post and makes the poster lose all credibility. Some of you need to put on some taller boots and climb out of the bitter pit and LET IT GO! Take a stroll by the bear pit, then head over to the Ferrell and take a look in the rafters and be proud of all the Lady Bears accomplished over the last 20 years. Then, if you are really a true Lady Bear fan, let's give CNC our complete support without comparing to the previous teams and staff.
Talk of modernizing, upgrading, or finally using players the way they should be - are all ways to slip in your bitterness and hatred toward CKM and insult those of us who enjoyed one of the most remarkable runs in NCAAWB history.

Let's get back to being Lady Bear fans!

Sic'em

chorne68
sicem45 said:

Buforlife said:

This is a PR/Media hire. Minor news portrayed as a major hire. The coaching staff is a minimally talented group. Hope they rise to the expectations of Baylor fans. Hope I'm wrong, but this is another underwhelming announcement. This staff will live off of the talent developed by Mulkey(smith,etc) and when they are gone we will be able to see how good the staff will be. Good luck
I will take Nicki and this staff over Kim and her staff. Trust me, this new staff is an upgrade all around.

Kim left good talent but trust me, they did not develop or utilize all of it... see Andrews, Owens, and company.

This is a stupid response.
GrizBear
chorne68 said:

sicem45 said:

Buforlife said:

This is a PR/Media hire. Minor news portrayed as a major hire. The coaching staff is a minimally talented group. Hope they rise to the expectations of Baylor fans. Hope I'm wrong, but this is another underwhelming announcement. This staff will live off of the talent developed by Mulkey(smith,etc) and when they are gone we will be able to see how good the staff will be. Good luck
I will take Nicki and this staff over Kim and her staff. Trust me, this new staff is an upgrade all around.

Kim left good talent but trust me, they did not develop or utilize all of it... see Andrews, Owens, and company.

This is a stupid response.
Trust me, you are correct.
SSadler
Sicem45 has been on this Board less than 3 months yet asks us to "trush him/her". Posting only on WBB and quite often directly bashing BadKMulkey.

Let that sink in for just a second. Less than 90 days among us.

That is all.

BU71
Brownbw said:

Hear is my take. I support CNC .Things will be run different than Mulkey ran things. To the question of whether moving to a more modern offense is better, I say that is to be determined. Look guys there is no question that Mulkey was an old school offense and a strong defense. But, and this is a big But, big 12 teams did not come close to catching up to Baylor no matter what offense they ran. Mulkey was not on the downside of her big 12 dominance. She is gone and now we will do things different. I will be a big supporter of CNC and am looking forward to different. See no reason we have to bash Mulkey in order to support Baylor's new coach. I will support both coaches but my heart is with Baylor and our CNC.
I'd like to say amen!
BearnMI
blueeyedbear said:

sicem45 said:

Eball said:

sicem45 said:

Buforlife said:

No I don't trust you! And your constant bashing of Kim a HOF coach and someone who built the Baylor Lady Bear Bear brand where it is today...is unseemly and rude. Why you insist on the attacks almost every time you post is border line obsessive. She is gone and CNC is the coach now save the comparisons for at least the third season of CNC ? Sic em Bears!

If you can't see that Kim was past her prime, I don't know what to tell you. She literally stopped recruiting hard after 2018 and refused to adapt with changes in the game today. 4 final fours in over 20 years is honestly embarrassing considering the resources we have. It's time to bring in someone who gets the most out of this program and I believe that will be Nicki
Kim was loyal to Leaon Barmore and his vision of women['s basketball to a fault. Neither understood how the 3 ball changed the women's game. Neither could adapt or change to the evolving women's game. Your not going to find 6'7" - 6'9" in every recruiting class ! I noticed the fire in her belly leave Kim with the death of her grandchild. Certainty understandable and she coped with it like the role model class person she is but even before then there were signs that the monster she built had become just too much for her. The signs were there we just ignored them because the wins kept coming. That's on us.
Her offense has always been too predictable but her recruiting the last several years really dropped off and Baylor women's basketball was heading for an epic drop al la UT. If it had not been for the transfer portal the success of the last three seasons would never have happened. and coaches were having more and more success defending BU WBB (Iowa Stare, WV, Oregon State and Mississippi State) were able to win games they should not have.
The truth is hard to accept some times and fact is sicem and others are right...it was time for CKM to move on with the gratitude and thanks of a grateful University and fan base. Kim talked about how timing is everything .....she is absolutely right the timing for Kim to move on and the timing of the hiring of Nicki was if I can say this without incurring the wrath of some was almost divine intervention. The confluence of events that came together and made this happen is amazing. Financially the move to LSU is a financial windfall for Kim if she makes 5 years at LSU, she is home and I thank her for her decision and for LSU to be there with open arms and for Nicki having the courage to follow a Legend and I wish Kim all the best except of course if we play LSU.
CNC has already shown she is a breath of badly needed fresh air into BU women's basketball. She and her staff have hit the ground running and never have so many quality recruits been contacted, offered and visited and she is not done yet. CNC is a visionary and that will manifest itself in the next few years. Kim did not leave the cupboard bare like someone else did so thank you Kim but honestly a lot of that has to do with the young ladies who decided to stay !!!! Again the confluence of events is amazing and still in progress and I for one am totally jacked about the upcoming season.

"Almost divine intervention" !?! ... of course, now I see the light.
Bubear22
CNC is overrated the hire has set the program back a decade
Wbbfan29
O well get over it.. Go cry in a corner.
Dcheetah
blueeyedbear is very tied in.
BUbearinARK
Bubear22 said:

CNC is overrated the hire has set the program back a decade
I know right. She hasn't won a single game here.
Adriacus Peratuun
blueeyedbear said:

sicem45 said:

Eball said:

sicem45 said:

Kim did not leave the cupboard bare like someone else did so thank you Kim but honestly a lot of that has to do with the young ladies who decided to stay !!!! Again the confluence of events is amazing and still in progress and I for one am totally jacked about the upcoming season.

One point of slight disagreement:

Kim didn't leave the cupboard bare but the roster was in bad shape even if she stayed.

What a 21/22 Mulkey roster would have been:

Grad/Seniors: Smith, Egbo, Bickel, Oliver, Lewis, McDaniel

Juniors: Owens

Sophomores: Andrews, Gusters

Freshmen: Dauda

That roster is seriously imbalanced. The situation simply worsened by losing Oliver, Gusters & Dauda.
Collen inherited a one season quality roster but a 2nd season [and beyond] roster mess.
BaylorBears_254
Adriacus Peratuun said:

blueeyedbear said:

sicem45 said:

Eball said:

sicem45 said:

Kim did not leave the cupboard bare like someone else did so thank you Kim but honestly a lot of that has to do with the young ladies who decided to stay !!!! Again the confluence of events is amazing and still in progress and I for one am totally jacked about the upcoming season.

Kim didn't leave the cupboard bare but the roster was in bad shape even if she stayed.

That roster is seriously imbalanced. The situation simply worsened by losing Oliver, Gusters & Dauda.
Collen inherited a one season quality roster but a 2nd season [and beyond] roster mess.

You're forgetting Carr and her sister that was set to come here. Definitely wasn't unbalanced.

She would've gotten the necessary pieces for the next 1-2 years and then we would've gotten our generational players in Wagner, Cox, and most likely another that would've set us up for success in the coming years.

NC has to win with what's her now, it's a Final 4 roster on paper.

Our next few years will be through the transfer portal
Adriacus Peratuun
BaylorBears_254 said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

blueeyedbear said:

sicem45 said:

Eball said:

sicem45 said:

You're forgetting Carr and her sister that was set to come here. Definitely wasn't unbalanced.

She would've gotten the necessary pieces for the next 1-2 years and then we would've gotten our generational players in Wagner, Cox, and most likely another that would've set us up for success in the coming years.

Add the two Carrs. One as a Senior, one as a Junior. Still massively imbalanced.

Eball
Adriacus Peratuun said:

BaylorBears_254 said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

blueeyedbear said:

sicem45 said:

Eball said:

sicem45 said:

Add the two Carrs. One as a Senior, one as a Junior. Still massively imbalanced.

Got to love a Jr and Sr laden team they tend to win. with the transfer portal well it is a new day...
blackie
Eball said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

BaylorBears_254 said:

Adriacus Peratuun said:

blueeyedbear said:

sicem45 said:

Eball said:

sicem45 said:

Got to love a Jr and Sr laden team they tend to win. with the transfer portal well it is a new day...
You also have to factor in the extra year of eligibility because of COVID and who would take advantage of it. Certainly Smith would not, but I believe Bickel had indicated she would take a fifth year, for example.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.