Oklahoma and Tx rumored to be leaving conference for SEC

8,216 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by itsjuzme
Bulldog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any thoughts on this? How would this affect us in WBB???
fredbear
UConn is proof positive that no matter your conference strength, as long as your nonconfrece schedule is competitive you can be the champion. In fact, all the non power fives, men especially, have taught us that in Bball.
slimecap
Bulldog said:

Any thoughts on this?

SICEM365 RADIO
3:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. M-F

Guest Lineup 7-22-20
3:30 p.m. - Cedric Golden Austin American-Statesman
4:00 p.m. - Ryan Aber The Oklahoman
Eball
I am not trying to start anything or be called a Kim stalker...but assuming the Big 12 implodes and with the SEC gaining increased power, stature and money in the day and age of NIL well Kim certainly wound up in a better spot than if she had stayed at BU...whether she wins or not or we win or not...going forward LSU would have a tremendous advantage in terms of what they could offer athletes and coaches for that matter....

I know, I know UCONN but that was a different era than now...we are moving in a direction where there will be a top tier of have's that will clearly now have an advantage over the have not's...
Bulldog
Eball said:

I am not trying to start anything or be called a Kim stalker...but assuming the Big 12 implodes and with the SEC gaining increased power, stature and money in the day and age of NIL well Kim certainly wound up in a better spot than if she had stayed at BU...whether she wins or not or we win or not...going forward LSU would have a tremendous advantage in terms of what they could offer athletes and coaches for that matter....

I know, I know UCONN but that was a different era than now...we are moving in a direction where there will be a top tier of have's that will clearly now have an advantage over the have not's...
One has to wonder if maybe Kim knew of this possibility beforehand. I tend to agree 100% with your post.
baylorbear33
Eball said:

100%
Bone Squad
I doubt she had inside information this was coming, but there's a sense in which we all knew of this possibility. The league has been unstable since 2011. It seems like the Big 12 is always living on a razor's edge (and balancing on a ledge...any other Maiden fans in the house?)

Why Bowlsby continues to have a job confounds me.
Bubear22
The party is over let the circus begin ! Kim won this round!
fredbear
Which power 5 conference are Gonzaga men in? Remind me. Makes no difference in bball?
Villanova? Creighton? Houston? Loyola? Top teams in bball often from outside power 5 conferences and they have never had power 5 resources.
SirBearALot
just add SMU , Houston, and one other, and lets play ball !!!
Lion82
The issue is how do you fund the programs if you lose you $35 million from the tv contract? I would think at least $2 million or more of annual donor money is now going to go directly to athletes nil to be remotely competitive and it could be more.

Baylor proved time and again in multiple sports that you can win against the major programs if you have enough money. Without the money, it will be tough to compete across the board.

WNIT in '23
TxRainMkr
Kim has in many ways been fortunate even when she fought against it. She really wanted to stay at Louisiana Tech, but didn't get what she wanted, and came to Baylor. No way Louisiana Tech, even with Kim, could have been a basketball power at that time. Kim didn't think she would leave Baylor, but wasn't getting what she wanted, and now suddenly she's in the SEC as our Big 12 implodes. With a new era of being able to pay players, it looks like it's working out for her again.
SirBearALot
SCREW TEXAS AND OKIE.. BRING ON SMU, HOUSTON, RICE, WITH TECH, OKIE ST. BAYLOR , TCU, KANSAS, K ST. IOWA ST. W.VA. ADD ONE MORE FOR A 12 TEAM CONFERENCE. KIDS WILL WANT TO BE CLOSE TO HOME IN TEXAS AND PLAY OTHER TEXAS KIDS.. WITH A FEW OUT OF STATE TRI[PS TO OUR NEIGHBORING STATES NORTH, WILL NOT HAVE PAY TO FLY THE TEAM TO FLORIDA, TENNESSEE, ETC. SAVE MONEY, BUILD A GOOD CONFERENCE, BASEBALL, BB, WBB, FOOTBALL , TRACK ETC..

TEXAS WILL GET KILLED AGAIST GEORGIA , BAMA , FLORIDA AND A$M.. KISS EM GOOD BYE , NEVER CRY OVE SPILT MILK.. SEE YA !!!
fredbear
My prediction. Texas and UT go nowhere. Ou has no shot at being a perineal playoff team in Sec. This is all posturing to demand a larger share of big 12 revenue. Poker plain and simple.
Lion82
The playoff is expanding to 12 and the sec payout will
Almost double the amount of what the big 12's is. The sec is a far superior football conference in recruiting , competition and nfl draftees and Texas and ou want in on that.
WNIT in '23
slimecap
BIG 12 OFFICIALS MEET
to discuss possible departures of Oklahoma and Texas to SEC

The Big 12 athletic directors and their university presidents and chancellors held a videoconference on Thursday evening to discuss the possible moves. Both OU and Texas were invited to the meeting but declined to participate in the call, sources said.

In a statement provided to ESPN, the Big 12 said, "There is a recognition that institutions may act in their own self-interest, however there is an expectation that members adhere to Conference bylaws and the enforcement of Grant of Rights agreements."

The Big 12 bylaws require any withdrawing member to give the league at least 18 months' notice. There also is a hefty exit fee -- departing schools must pay the league a "commitment buyout fee," which is an amount equal to the sum of distributions that otherwise would be paid to the school during the final two years of its membership. Exiting schools, according to the bylaws, "shall be deemed to have agreed to forfeit all distributions of any type that otherwise would have been made to the withdrawing member during the interim period" between the notice date and the actual departure date.

Last year, the Big 12 distributed about $38 million to each of its members, third most among Power 5 conferences, so Texas and Oklahoma would owe about $76 million each.

One source said the Big 12 also discussed the possibility of finding more revenue for Texas and OU if their motivation to exit is driven by money.

OU and Texas also signed a Big 12 grant-of-rights agreement, in which they granted their first- and second-tier media rights for football and men's basketball to the conference through June 30, 2025. That means the Big 12 would still own the schools' media rights for those sports -- even if they are no longer members -- until the agreement expires.

- Excerpts from espn, 22 July 2021 @ 9:01 p.m. CT
Jacques Strap
Bulldog said:

Eball said:

One has to wonder if maybe Kim knew of this possibility beforehand. I tend to agree 100% with your post.
Adriacus Peratuun
Jacques Strap said:

If SEC leadership purposefully withheld info from a Member institution [while informing other members], it would create the Mother of All Liability. Not reality.
Jacques Strap
Adriacus Peratuun said:

Jacques Strap said:

If SEC leadership purposefully withheld info from a Member institution [while informing other members], it would create the Mother of All Liability. Not reality.
I don't know Aggy really loves chanting SEC SEC SEC when Bama wins a championship. They may pout a little but will ultimately be happy their fight song lyrics make sense again and settle back into Howdying the folks at the bank when they deposit their $EC $hare.
Eball
Adriacus Peratuun said:

Jacques Strap said:

I don't know AP...this all has the makings of a tremendous conspiracy theory...Kim just up and bolts to LSU and the SEC...the AD is the former Aggie AD...LSU would likely be one of the schools told about the maneuvering that started 6 months ago they are saying now...then suddenly on eve of her HOF induction and birth of second grandchild...a radio sports talk show starts the rumor mill well in advance to it actually happening that Kim is coming to LSU! Nobody really believes it is happening or that Kim would leave but she does for roughly same money but heads off into a much more competitive league...now our side says she got her feelings hurt over something well maybe she did or maybe she just orchestrated it all to make a clean exist based on some tipped inside info? Who knows....

all I know is she is now at one of the premier Athletic institutions in the premier conference where the money will be rolling in and NIL opportunities abound...

The worst part about the change for me is the story we all heard and Kim share all the time about leaving a power at the time LaTech and going to BU a WBB wasteland more or less and never looking back...insinuating that LaTech's lack of foresight led to the deterioration of their program...

I just don't want us to be on the wrong side of that story in the future....
Bulldog
I promise you Mulkey KNEW.... She's generally several steps ahead and now here we are!!!
BUatbirth
Here we go. I could give a rats a$$ about Kim Mulkey. If she knew, then it just fits the narrative that Kim is all about Kim. As for WBB,,,recruits are going to go to the schools that consistently WIN and go deep into the tournament. Kim made Baylor that program. I believe Nicki will keep us there. WIN and recruits come,,,regardless of conference affiliation. One could argue that NIL will follow the same logic. Win and you get attention.
Eball
BUatbirth said:

Here we go. I could give a rats a$$ about Kim Mulkey. If she knew, then it just fits the narrative that Kim is all about Kim. As for WBB,,,recruits are going to go to the schools that consistently WIN and go deep into the tournament. Kim made Baylor that program. I believe Nicki will keep us there. WIN and recruits come,,,regardless of conference affiliation. One could argue that NIL will follow the same logic. Win and you get attention.
I am praying you are right....
Lion82
To say Mulkey is well connected is an understatement. LSU admin probably knew months ago. It sure does put a lot of the pieces together.

Baylor hired a mid major athletic director before they knew they were going to need one. I guess that is staying ahead of the game.
WNIT in '23
SirBearALot
Talked to an Aggie fan today, he pissed. Tex made fun of Aggie for leaving B12 and now they are going there too. Said it will make Aggie the little brother to UT again, even though they are the larger school.. Says UT should go to liberal left coast. aka PAC12. they don't fit in SEC . Southern States are more conservative than UT elite leftist liberals in Austin.. Said this was all done behind the backs of most SEC teams, they can nix it with a 25% vote against it.
Bulldog
SirBearALot said:

Talked to an Aggie fan today, he pissed. Tex made fun of Aggie for leaving B12 and now they are going there too. Said it will make Aggie the little brother to UT again, even though they are the larger school.. Says UT should go to liberal left coast. aka PAC12. they don't fit in SEC . Southern States are more conservative than UT elite leftist liberals in Austin.. Said this was all done behind the backs of most SEC teams, they can nix it with a 25% vote against it.
He can say whatever he wants, but I highly doubt they are able to nix this. This appears to be a done deal...
DanaDane
Congrats, Texas. You get 10 more years of Kim constantly kicking your ass until she retires.

Different conference, same ass kicking.
DustyM
DanaDane said:

Congrats, Texas. You get 10 more years of Kim constantly kicking your ass until she retires.

You gotta love that.
willtalk
I remember when Texas and Oklahoma where being considered for the Pac 12 some years back, but Oklahoma did not want to leave Oklahoma St. When that was still a possibility it was also seen as potentially the end of the NCAA power. If the major conferences were reduced to 4 teams it creates the possiblility of them creating their own football playoff system. With the decline of the NCAA regulatory power this becomes even more possible. This could create a two tier D1 system totally controled by the major four conferences. Everyone not in the P4 would be out of luck. And believe me with out Texas and Oklahoma there will only be four major conferences. The other teams will have to try to get in the remaining four.

Ditching the NCAA would be a finacial windfall for the remaining P 4 conferences since the NCAA rather large cut would be eliminated. The National Championship playoffs draw big money and those conferences could totally control the playoffs.
bawitdaball
DustyM said:

DanaDane said:

You gotta love that.

It will taken a. Few years before LSU is in the same field as Texas. And you have to remember that there coach has some roots in the SEC.
Media Bear
fredbear said:

My prediction. Texas and UT go nowhere. Ou has no shot at being a perineal playoff team in Sec. This is all posturing to demand a larger share of big 12 revenue. Poker plain and simple.
After this latest round of bull$#!+ from those two, who's gonna want them around if they stay? Who's gonna want to be constantly looking over their shoulder, year after year, to see what kind of knives they're gonna used to backstab the conference next. As far as I'm concerned (and numerous others), here's what UT/OU can do:

LadyChickBear
slimecap said:

BIG 12 OFFICIALS MEET

The Big 12 athletic directors and their university presidents and chancellors held a videoconference on Thursday evening to discuss the possible moves. Both OU and Texas were invited to the meeting but declined to participate in the call, sources said.

In a statement provided to ESPN, the Big 12 said, "There is a recognition that institutions may act in their own self-interest, however there is an expectation that members adhere to Conference bylaws and the enforcement of Grant of Rights agreements."

The Big 12 bylaws require any withdrawing member to give the league at least 18 months' notice. There also is a hefty exit fee -- departing schools must pay the league a "commitment buyout fee," which is an amount equal to the sum of distributions that otherwise would be paid to the school during the final two years of its membership. Exiting schools, according to the bylaws, "shall be deemed to have agreed to forfeit all distributions of any type that otherwise would have been made to the withdrawing member during the interim period" between the notice date and the actual departure date.

Last year, the Big 12 distributed about $38 million to each of its members, third most among Power 5 conferences, so Texas and Oklahoma would owe about $76 million each.

One source said the Big 12 also discussed the possibility of finding more revenue for Texas and OU if their motivation to exit is driven by money.

OU and Texas also signed a Big 12 grant-of-rights agreement, in which they granted their first- and second-tier media rights for football and men's basketball to the conference through June 30, 2025. That means the Big 12 would still own the schools' media rights for those sports -- even if they are no longer members -- until the agreement expires.

I know I am about to sound revengeful and probably stupid, but I am ready to tell them to go rather than give them anything else especially Texas. What sport have they been relevant in the past 5 to 6 years? Every time I see the Longhorn network, I get furious.

But I am also a realist and I know Baylor can't compete with the money. I just hate what may happen to our recruiting promise.
bawitdaball
LadyChickBear said:

slimecap said:

BIG 12 OFFICIALS MEET

I know I am about to sound revengeful and probably stupid, but I am ready to tell them to go rather than give them anything else especially Texas. What sport have they been relevant in the past 5 to 6 years? Every time I see the Longhorn network, I get furious.

But I am also a realist and I know Baylor can't compete with the money. I just hate what may happen to our recruiting promise.

To be fair, Texas won the directors cup this last year. So claiming they aren't relevant is a bit of an emotional response. They played in the NC game for volleyball, we're in the final four in baseball. Softball made a super regional. They won the National Championship in men's swimming/diving, rowing and women's tennis. There women's basketball was an elite 8 finisher - same as us. Men's tennis was in the final four. They struggled in football but still won their bowl game, and men's basketball won the Big 12 and then laid a goose egg during March Madness. We don't like what they are doing, and it's mainly because we weren't prepared. But they are not irrelevant.
mcleod66
DanaDane said:

Doubtful
mcleod66
bawitdaball said:

LadyChickBear said:

slimecap said:

BIG 12 OFFICIALS MEET

To be fair, Texas won the directors cup this last year. So claiming they aren't relevant is a bit of an emotional response. They played in the NC game for volleyball, we're in the final four in baseball. Softball made a super regional. They won the National Championship in men's swimming/diving, rowing and women's tennis. There women's basketball was an elite 8 finisher - same as us. Men's tennis was in the final four. They struggled in football but still won their bowl game, and men's basketball won the Big 12 and then laid a goose egg during March Madness. We don't like what they are doing, and it's mainly because we weren't prepared. But they are not irrelevant.
Are you saying, ut won the Big 12 in men's basketball? Pretty sure they did not!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.