Oklahoma and Tx rumored to be leaving conference for SEC

8,281 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by itsjuzme
Bexar Pitts
How long do you want to ignore this user?
mcleod66 said:

bawitdaball said:

LadyChickBear said:

slimecap said:

BIG 12 OFFICIALS MEET
to discuss possible departures of Oklahoma and Texas to SEC

The Big 12 athletic directors and their university presidents and chancellors held a videoconference on Thursday evening to discuss the possible moves. Both OU and Texas were invited to the meeting but declined to participate in the call, sources said.

In a statement provided to ESPN, the Big 12 said, "There is a recognition that institutions may act in their own self-interest, however there is an expectation that members adhere to Conference bylaws and the enforcement of Grant of Rights agreements."

The Big 12 bylaws require any withdrawing member to give the league at least 18 months' notice. There also is a hefty exit fee -- departing schools must pay the league a "commitment buyout fee," which is an amount equal to the sum of distributions that otherwise would be paid to the school during the final two years of its membership. Exiting schools, according to the bylaws, "shall be deemed to have agreed to forfeit all distributions of any type that otherwise would have been made to the withdrawing member during the interim period" between the notice date and the actual departure date.

Last year, the Big 12 distributed about $38 million to each of its members, third most among Power 5 conferences, so Texas and Oklahoma would owe about $76 million each.

One source said the Big 12 also discussed the possibility of finding more revenue for Texas and OU if their motivation to exit is driven by money.

OU and Texas also signed a Big 12 grant-of-rights agreement, in which they granted their first- and second-tier media rights for football and men's basketball to the conference through June 30, 2025. That means the Big 12 would still own the schools' media rights for those sports -- even if they are no longer members -- until the agreement expires.

- Excerpts from espn, 22 July 2021 @ 9:01 p.m. CT

I know I am about to sound revengeful and probably stupid, but I am ready to tell them to go rather than give them anything else especially Texas. What sport have they been relevant in the past 5 to 6 years? Every time I see the Longhorn network, I get furious.

But I am also a realist and I know Baylor can't compete with the money. I just hate what may happen to our recruiting promise.

To be fair, Texas won the directors cup this last year. So claiming they aren't relevant is a bit of an emotional response. They played in the NC game for volleyball, we're in the final four in baseball. Softball made a super regional. They won the National Championship in men's swimming/diving, rowing and women's tennis. There women's basketball was an elite 8 finisher - same as us. Men's tennis was in the final four. They struggled in football but still won their bowl game, and men's basketball won the Big 12 and then laid a goose egg during March Madness. We don't like what they are doing, and it's mainly because we weren't prepared. But they are not irrelevant.
Are you saying, ut won the Big 12 in men's basketball? Pretty sure they did not!
Texas did win the Big 12 tournament...Believe they beat Okie State in title game..
bawitdaball
mcleod66 said:

bawitdaball said:

LadyChickBear said:

slimecap said:

BIG 12 OFFICIALS MEET

The Big 12 athletic directors and their university presidents and chancellors held a videoconference on Thursday evening to discuss the possible moves. Both OU and Texas were invited to the meeting but declined to participate in the call, sources said.

In a statement provided to ESPN, the Big 12 said, "There is a recognition that institutions may act in their own self-interest, however there is an expectation that members adhere to Conference bylaws and the enforcement of Grant of Rights agreements."

The Big 12 bylaws require any withdrawing member to give the league at least 18 months' notice. There also is a hefty exit fee -- departing schools must pay the league a "commitment buyout fee," which is an amount equal to the sum of distributions that otherwise would be paid to the school during the final two years of its membership. Exiting schools, according to the bylaws, "shall be deemed to have agreed to forfeit all distributions of any type that otherwise would have been made to the withdrawing member during the interim period" between the notice date and the actual departure date.

Last year, the Big 12 distributed about $38 million to each of its members, third most among Power 5 conferences, so Texas and Oklahoma would owe about $76 million each.

One source said the Big 12 also discussed the possibility of finding more revenue for Texas and OU if their motivation to exit is driven by money.

OU and Texas also signed a Big 12 grant-of-rights agreement, in which they granted their first- and second-tier media rights for football and men's basketball to the conference through June 30, 2025. That means the Big 12 would still own the schools' media rights for those sports -- even if they are no longer members -- until the agreement expires.

I know I am about to sound revengeful and probably stupid, but I am ready to tell them to go rather than give them anything else especially Texas. What sport have they been relevant in the past 5 to 6 years? Every time I see the Longhorn network, I get furious.

But I am also a realist and I know Baylor can't compete with the money. I just hate what may happen to our recruiting promise.

To be fair, Texas won the directors cup this last year. So claiming they aren't relevant is a bit of an emotional response. They played in the NC game for volleyball, we're in the final four in baseball. Softball made a super regional. They won the National Championship in men's swimming/diving, rowing and women's tennis. There women's basketball was an elite 8 finisher - same as us. Men's tennis was in the final four. They struggled in football but still won their bowl game, and men's basketball won the Big 12 and then laid a goose egg during March Madness. We don't like what they are doing, and it's mainly because we weren't prepared. But they are not irrelevant.
Are you saying, ut won the Big 12 in men's basketball? Pretty sure they did not!

A simple google search would reveal that they defeated Ok State 91-86.
slimecap
Jacques Strap said:

LadyChickBear
bawitdaball said:

LadyChickBear said:

slimecap said:

BIG 12 OFFICIALS MEET

Good point. And I intentionally forgot all of that...oops!!
LadyChickBear
bawitdaball said:

DustyM said:

DanaDane said:

Congrats, Texas. You get 10 more years of Kim constantly kicking your ass until she retires.

Different conference, same ass kicking.
You gotta love that.

It will taken a. Few years before LSU is in the same field as Texas. And you have to remember that there coach has some roots in the SEC.
And Vic Shaffer is right back in Dawn Staley's corral!!!
Bulldog
LadyChickBear said:

bawitdaball said:

DustyM said:

DanaDane said:

Congrats, Texas. You get 10 more years of Kim constantly kicking your ass until she retires.

You gotta love that.

It will taken a. Few years before LSU is in the same field as Texas. And you have to remember that there coach has some roots in the SEC.
If you are truly objective, Vic Schaefer made two NC Ganes with not one McDonalds All American on his roster. Dawn Staley's teams were loaded with top recruits so I don't see that as a fair comparison. With the recruiting classes he is reeling in at UT, he would have been nipping at our heels eventually anyway. I look for him to be better this go round in the SEC because he will have more talent. He made the elite eight in his first year at TU with not a lot of talent. Like him or not, the guy can flat out coach....
LadyChickBear
Bulldog said:

LadyChickBear said:

bawitdaball said:

DustyM said:

DanaDane said:

You gotta love that.

If you are truly objective, Vic Schaefer made two NC Ganes with not one McDonalds All American on his roster. Dawn Staley's teams were loaded with top recruits so I don't see that as a fair comparison. With the recruiting classes he is reeling in at UT, he would have been nipping at our heels eventually anyway. I look for him to be better this go round in the SEC because he will have more talent. He made the elite eight in his first year at TU with not a lot of talent. Like him or not, the guy can flat out coach....
I do like him. He coaches defense like KM ... It will be interesting to see. Did he make two NC games? I thought it was just the one against SC, or you counting when he was an asst. at A&M? Clearly, A&M's production fell off when Vic departed.
Bulldog
LadyChickBear said:

Bulldog said:

LadyChickBear said:

bawitdaball said:

DustyM said:

DanaDane said:

You gotta love that.

I do like him. He coaches defense like KM ... It will be interesting to see. Did he make two NC games? I thought it was just the one against SC, or you counting when he was an asst. at A&M? Clearly, A&M's production fell off when Vic departed.
He made two NC games...that loss to Norte Dame and another loss against SC...
LadyChickBear
Bulldog said:

LadyChickBear said:

Bulldog said:

LadyChickBear said:

bawitdaball said:

DustyM said:

DanaDane said:

You gotta love that.

He made two NC games...that loss to Norte Dame and another loss against SC...
Of course!! I am blonde, old and forgetful!! Arike made that amazing shot at the end.
mcleod66
Bexar Pitts said:

mcleod66 said:

bawitdaball said:

LadyChickBear said:

slimecap said:

BIG 12 OFFICIALS MEET

Texas did win the Big 12 tournament...Believe they beat Okie State in title game..
Ah yes, the TOURNAMENT. I thought you meant the conference as a whole. Thanks for your clarification.
mcleod66
bawitdaball said:

mcleod66 said:

bawitdaball said:

LadyChickBear said:

slimecap said:

BIG 12 OFFICIALS MEET

They did not clarify that they were talking about the TOURNAMENT and not the CONFERENCE. But thanks for the google tip.
bawitdaball
mcleod66 said:

bawitdaball said:

mcleod66 said:

bawitdaball said:

LadyChickBear said:

slimecap said:

BIG 12 OFFICIALS MEET

They did not clarify that they were talking about the TOURNAMENT and not the CONFERENCE. But thanks for the google tip.
The way the Big 12 is set up, the tournament is the only Big 12 Champion - the season is merely an 18 game stretch for seeding. The tournament champion gets the NCAA auto bid, and the tournament champion gets the trophy. I think its dumb, but supposedly it goes to ensure that there isn't a "tie" and there aren't like three or four champions. But having worked in athletics for over 15 years, tournament champions are referred to as champions, regular season champions are referred to, well, regular season champions. My apologizes for not clarifying, I often forget what is normal and industry speak. But yes, Texas won the tournament championship. I believe they were seeded 3rd behind Baylor and Kansas.
Bone Squad
itsjuzme
Bone Squad said:

https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/223212663_10226243774178817_1145235300513819317_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=WRdKCdzWMSYAX_0p4XL&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=7341bd653a58f2911a8958de7bd9c84d&oe=612880D0

It's UT and OU. As much as it pains us they'll find a way out. They haven't spent all this time planning, then pretty much letting us all know they're leaving, without having plotted out an exit strategy. We might as well get ready. Hopefully the Big XII can grab a few new members and remain intact. I don't see any other attractive option for us.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.