Baylor only has four non seniors coming back next year

5,297 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by blackie
chorne68
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Five out of nine players are either seniors or grad transfers. Owens, Asberry, Andrews, and Gillispie are underclassmen. We have nothing now in the pipeline. We had two recruits two years ago and one left and had one recruit last year and she never came. I think we have a great chance of a final four year this year with all our experienced players and are in real trouble in coming years. I blame Kim for this mess. Recruiting has not been good for several years and we have none this year. I am sure coaches are doing their best to catch up with transfers and trying to get recruits to come here and I hope they are successful.
IowaBear
Oh no the sky is falling… and Kim failed Baylor miserably. Good lord you people are clueless. Didn't BU just win a Natty like what 2 years ago. If Collen is half the coach some on here claim she is will be winning Nattys every year. So quit panicking and blaming the evil record setting HOF coach
Wbbfan29
Ugh here we go again...
IowaBear
We aren't going anywhere. This discussion has been had a million times. Does anyone really think If the prior staff was in the same situation next year with 4 returning players that they wouldn't have found players and had another great year? There's literally zero evidence that BU was falling off a cliff this notion is hilarious and shows just how clueless this fan base is regarding the WBB program. New hires dream of inheriting the talent CNC has this season. She's literally taking over a team who should win the Natty with all the talent they possess
Wbbfan29
Caitlin already stated that she will stay another year. You never know who else might stay . Yes we are low on players but let's worry about next year... NEXT YEAR. Let's not blame a coach that chose to move on from Baylor. Yes we are in a hard spot possibly for the next 2 years but let's move on. I'm not even sure why mulkey is always being brought up. She left ... she is where she chose to be. Collen will find away eventually to get a full team. Let's just worry about this year...
SirBearALot
Queen my come back , we will get a few good transfers who want playing time and some freshmen recruits.
baylor1984
Kim had Hannah, Dauda and the Carr sisters. She would have had 8 plus a couple of 22's ( Sa"Myah was a heavy BU lean and still may sign here). Kim would also have taken a transfer or two and would have had a roster of 10 to 11 girls which is just how she likes it. In 23 Sammie was already in the fold with most likely Maddie as well. Kim had this program primed for the future and more NC's. Let's all support CNC in her tenure here at BU and hope we can accomplish greatness like we have had in the past.
SirBearALot
****e happens. Mulkey is a traitor, selfish. Move on !!!!!!!!!!
baylor1984
SirBearALot said:

****e happens. Mulkey us a traitor, selfish. Move on !!!!!!!!!!
1. I've never started a single post about our former coach since she left
2. I will respond to posts about our former coach that are stupid, childish and full of nonsense.
3. I moved on the day she left and could care less what the lady does in the future.
4. I support CNC to the fullest and want nothing but the best for her and the WBB team.
5. I love Baylor and want the best for all the coaches who stand on our sidelines, fields and courts.
BaylorBears_254
baylor1984 said:

Kim had Hannah, Dauda and the Carr sisters. She would have had 8 plus a couple of 22's ( Sa"Myah was a heavy BU lean and still may sign here). Kim would also have taken a transfer or two and would have had a roster of 10 to 11 girls which is just how she likes it. In 23 Sammie was already in the fold with most likely Maddie as well. Kim had this program primed for the future and more NC's. Let's all support CNC in her tenure here at BU and hope we can accomplish greatness like we have had in the past.

This. It's laughable that some think Mulkey was losing her groove recruiting haha.

Had Mulkey stayed, we would've saw an entirely different offense centered around Smith obviously, but we had players on board that could go and get a bucket
baylor1984
BaylorBears_254 said:

baylor1984 said:

This. It's laughable that some think Mulkey was losing her groove recruiting haha.

Had Mulkey stayed, we would've saw an entirely different offense centered around Smith obviously, but we had players on board that could go and get a bucket
She was going to be fine. Her offense was going to be low post centered aka inside-out and was going to have a team that played some of the best if not the best defense in the nation as well as being one of the top rebounding teams in the nation .Kim was going to recruit to that way of basketball and had those type of players on board for that style. That formula worked for her/us for many years and won a ton of games. That doesn't mean we can't and won't win a different way aka motion offense with more 3pt. shooting. You can win both ways and I'm looking forward to seeing our new offense and what this year and the future holds for WBB at BU.
ABC BEAR
Assuming that the OP is correct, it is imperative that our November signing class be capable of playing ball at this level. We are making a 4 year commitment to players who will be on the floor early and for extended minutes. Transfers can fill in as spot players but you can't build a program around them. The bulk of our stating minutes and bench minutes will be recruits.

I've been the most outspoken critic of CNC in the offseason....but once the flag goes up the pole and the season starts, I will be fully supportive of everyone who is out there representing Baylor.
setshot
Stanford, UCONN, and South Carolina are loaded from top to bottom. Several other programs are competitive at the level of Baylor, once this season is behind us. I agree with those who say we should let the future take care of itself and just concentrate on enjoying this year.

It is noteworthy that two of our best contributors in the WNBA, Cooper and Carrington, were one year transfers to our program. It is very possible that Collen will tack in a couple of transfers next year who will improve our outlook considerably. She has a staff that was hired in part because they work hard on the recruitment trail, so in time we should see some signs of progress in that regard. In the meantime I am excited about the season ahead.

I do not expect a national championship, but I do hope for another trip to the Final Four.
DanaDane
National signing date is in slightly more than a month. Are we expecting a sudden burst of recruiting commitments in the next 30 days?
BUbearinARK
oh well, I guess I should stop following wbb now. It's over.

<sarcastic emoji>
fredbear
Iowa bear, from your other posts I would think you too wise. Perhaps one who could stop, ponder, and resist biting every hooked bait they send you. But you bit again. Hook, line and sinker. Kim does not need anyone's defense. Period. Her record shouts. They lob it up, and you predictably pounce. Just show some restraint and reflection before they sucker punch you again. Responding gives credence to their foolishness. A three time natty coach in the hall of fame doesn't need you to continue to rescue her reputation. Relax.
ABC BEAR
DanaDane said:

National signing date is in slightly more than a month. Are we expecting a sudden burst of recruiting commitments in the next 30 days?
At the risk of being overly dramatic, the long term direction might very well depend on the depth and quality of this class. The pickings will be thin in the Spring signing period.

In answer to your question: Hopefully 3-4 top quality players.
Scout Bear
We are doomed...
Booboo Bear

We are domed!

Scout Bear
Not for long.

Doooommmed!
Big guy
Last night (Tip Off Club Dinner) CNC said she is fine with 9 players, right now. "Everyone knows their role."

Look for the 10th player, to join the team (possibly) when volleyball is finished.
1845_Society
chorne68 said:

Five out of nine players are either seniors or grad transfers. Owens, Asberry, Andrews, and Gillispie are underclassmen. We have nothing now in the pipeline. We had two recruits two years ago and one left and had one recruit last year and she never came. I think we have a great chance of a final four year this year with all our experienced players and are in real trouble in coming years. I blame Kim for this mess. Recruiting has not been good for several years and we have none this year. I am sure coaches are doing their best to catch up with transfers and trying to get recruits to come here and I hope they are successful.
Hate to make your world even worse.....but this year's team is NOT a Final 4 team. Nowhere near it.

Sorry.
Give
Wbbfan29
How did you determine that??? You haven't even seen them play one game this year.
baylor1984
1845_Society said:

chorne68 said:

Hate to make your world even worse.....but this year's team is NOT a Final 4 team. Nowhere near it.

Sorry.
Your clueless.
BUbearinARK
baylor1984 said:

1845_Society said:

chorne68 said:

Sorry.
Your clueless.
IDK, maybe 1864 was implying that BU is a championship game level team rather than just a final 4 level. That's what I took from it
Brusinbear2001
when you have 9 players it makes injuries and the covid situation a lot tougher to deal with. But i don't think these are just any 9 players these are some of the best in the country.
NaLyssa Smith: nothing really needed to be said about her but if you didn't know she is one of the players in the conversation for going #1 in a tough draft this coming year. I believe she will thrive in this system CNC is developing.

Queen Egbo: I believe she is beast that needs to be unleashed last year to end the season she was finally letting the WBB world know who Queen is and there is so much more to see. i'm predicting her to go 1st round in the draft.

Jordan Lewis: She is a 6th year senior coming from Alabama she has experience and a poise that we will need this year. She is great beyond the arch and will help the spacing a lot.

Ja'Mee Asberry: she was on of the best shooters in the Big 12 last year and teams didn't have to worry about a Nalyssa Smith and a Queen Egbo in the paint (Yes i know they had Mack and she was great but it wasn't 2) She will prove the honorable mention award was low.

Kamaria Mcdaniel: Before coming to Baylor was the leading scorer in the Big 10, she is battling a injury but I don't believe we will need her to be the leading scorer in the Big 12 to win ball games. But we will need her to give sparks and obviously she is capable of doing so.

The rest of the team: We have Mcdonald all americans and top 10 recruits on our bench. I believe Sarah and Jaden will be able to finally give Baylor nation what we have been dying to see from them because they will get their opportunity. Bickle is one that CNC believes will have a break out season and she believes in what she can bring to the team will be things we never seen before from her. She even said in practice how much better they look when she is on the floor. Gillispie is a freshman but will have her moment and role on this team. I believe in the hands of this amazing coaching staff we have she will grow to be something great.

So when we mention the 9 let's talk about who the 9 are okay?
1845_Society
Brusinbear2001 said:

when you have 9 players it makes injuries and the covid situation a lot tougher to deal with. But i don't think these are just any 9 players these are some of the best in the country.
NaLyssa Smith: nothing really needed to be said about her but if you didn't know she is one of the players in the conversation for going #1 in a tough draft this coming year. I believe she will thrive in this system CNC is developing.

Queen Egbo: I believe she is beast that needs to be unleashed last year to end the season she was finally letting the WBB world know who Queen is and there is so much more to see. i'm predicting her to go 1st round in the draft.

Jordan Lewis: She is a 6th year senior coming from Alabama she has experience and a poise that we will need this year. She is great beyond the arch and will help the spacing a lot.

Ja'Mee Asberry: she was on of the best shooters in the Big 12 last year and teams didn't have to worry about a Nalyssa Smith and a Queen Egbo in the paint (Yes i know they had Mack and she was great but it wasn't 2) She will prove the honorable mention award was low.

Kamaria Mcdaniel: Before coming to Baylor was the leading scorer in the Big 10, she is battling a injury but I don't believe we will need her to be the leading scorer in the Big 12 to win ball games. But we will need her to give sparks and obviously she is capable of doing so.

The rest of the team: We have Mcdonald all americans and top 10 recruits on our bench. I believe Sarah and Jaden will be able to finally give Baylor nation what we have been dying to see from them because they will get their opportunity. Bickle is one that CNC believes will have a break out season and she believes in what she can bring to the team will be things we never seen before from her. She even said in practice how much better they look when she is on the floor. Gillispie is a freshman but will have her moment and role on this team. I believe in the hands of this amazing coaching staff we have she will grow to be something great.

So when we mention the 9 let's talk about who the 9 are okay?
Just say'n they are not a Final 4 team. I guess we will all see.....
Give
Brusinbear2001
and could i ask why you feel as such? I am not oblivious to the fact that CNC has to prove her self but i believe we have to give her the chance to do so. At the end of the day there will be hurt teams some good teams will not be in the final 4.
We have a Uconn, South Carolina, Stanford, Duke, Maryland , Indiana, Iowa, Baylor, NC State so many teams that if they click could do damage and only 4 teams will be in the final 4. The game is growing and becoming more exciting. But i still love our chances.
Double D
Amen to that!
setshot
The level of experience on this team is extraordinarily high, and the talent is well regarded, based on the fact that All Conference first and second team positions were awarded to five of them (from three different Power Five conferences.) There will be a larger number of high quality teams this year, as Brusin points out above, and it may take awhile for the chemistry of the team to gel, but I think that this is a team that very few teams would want to face in the NCAA Tournament.

In all likelihood Mulkey's teams missed the Final Four at least three times because of the calls, made or omitted, by officials, twice on the last play of the Elite Eight game. One cannot predict those things, and when teams are as evenly matched as they usually are by the second weekend of the Tournament, it does not take much to tilt the scales just enough to decide the outcome of one-loss and you're out contests.

No one can say with certainty that a team as talented as the Baylor team is conceded to be is not a Final Four team, just as surely as no one, no matter their conviction on the matter, can with utter confidence predict that they will be. As the sayin goes, that is why they play the game.
Adriacus Peratuun
WBB has become more competitive and the top teams this year all have at least one major weakness.

Baylor has serious depth issues and is undersized. But has the best combination of shooting and athleticism.
Stanford (as always) is very skilled and has solid depth but is not very athletic.
South Carolina has good depth, athleticism and height but is a poor shooting team.
UConn is a good shooting team with a ton of depth but is not overly athletic at some positions and the key players don't necessarily all fit into the same offensive style.
Maryland is a bad defensive team and has limited athleticism. But they can really shoot.

One of those teams might elevate itself. One of those teams might get bounced early in March. Injuries happen. Players transfer. COVID.

It is FAR too early to predict Final Four participants.

blueeyedbear
Adriacus Peratuun said:

WBB has become more competitive and the top teams this year all have at least one major weakness.

Baylor has serious depth issues and is undersized. But has the best combination of shooting and athleticism.
Stanford (as always) is very skilled and has solid depth but is not very athletic.
South Carolina has good depth, athleticism and height but is a poor shooting team.
UConn is a good shooting team with a ton of depth but is not overly athletic at some positions and the key players don't necessarily all fit into the same offensive style.
Maryland is a bad defensive team and has limited athleticism. But they can really shoot.

One of those teams might elevate itself. One of those teams might get bounced early in March. Injuries happen. Players transfer. COVID.

It is FAR too early to predict Final Four participants.

Exactly !!
setshot
Good summary, AP. There is a lot more talent across the board in the women's game than in the past.
Task Force 2015
The Sweet 16 round will be tougher than usual.Will Arizona be back in the top tier next year?I am not sure if the Wildcats have been discussed above.Their Coach was mentioned as someone worthy of consideration during our Coach search.I think everyone has UConn,S. Carolina and Stanford as their top 3.And,I like our chances too.
Adriacus Peratuun
Task Force 2015 said:

The Sweet 16 round will be tougher than usual.Will Arizona be back in the top tier next year?I am not sure if the Wildcats have been discussed above.Their Coach was mentioned as someone worthy of consideration during our Coach search.I think everyone has UConn,S. Carolina and Stanford as their top 3.And,I like our chances too.
Arizona was a VERY limited offensive team [but great D team] with Aari MacDonald. Without her, can't see them making a deep run. They are the anti-Maryland, all D and little O.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.