Dawn Staley- Wow

3,012 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BUatbirth
baylor1984
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Signs new contract for 2.9 million and will escalate to 3.5. Makes more than 2 SEC football coaches.

Dawn Staley's new contract makes her the SEC's highest-paid women's basketball coach (saturdaydownsouth.com)
fredbear
So Kim not even the highest paid coach in her own conference despite three nattys on her resume. These salaries are getting ridiculous. Kim actually just got Dawn and Geno both raises now.
IowaBear
What id do to make 3.5 million good lord
BUVA
Taking a quick glance, it seems SC took over as premier SEC WBB team after Pat Summitt left Tennessee. SEC doesn't appear to rally much around WBB; doesn't draw big crowds like football and men's BB, though SC has had great attendance.
Eball
Sad that Baylor could not step up and lead out on this important issue. Now we are in direct conflict with where this pay issue headed. At least from the progressive women's view. Baylor let one of the highest paid women's coach walk and saved money by hiring someone much cheaper. You don't think that will be used against us in recruiting!
BUatbirth
Coaches salary used against us in recruiting? Is that really what your saying? If so, no way.
Ask a recruit what a coaches salary is and you'll get a blank stare. I say you would get the same
stare if you ask how much a university invests in their WBB program. The difference here is that a recruit
can SEE how much is invested in WBB,,,facilities, etc. I believe that does matter. Baylor is near the top of what a university puts into women's athletics, and WBB specifically.
Eball
Not that I agree with the trend or am against it. You are naive if you don't think this will be used against us and other schools for top talent. Think how much publicity the difference in perks and amenities from men's women's tournament received. Political arguments over men women equal pay issues. National soccer team pay controversy. The younger women are much more plugged in and outspoken these days so yes it makes a difference.
BUatbirth
I agree with the disparity in women's vs men's sports. That was the point of my statement concerning what a recruit SEES. Your statement was specific to a coach's salary used against Baylor in recruiting. Again, is there disparity? Yes. However, Baylor is near the top of what universities spend on WBB specifically. That is a fact.
Eball
They were but to outside WBB world looking in they see us letting a top2 at the time HOF salaried coach walk. Replacing her with a coach who they can pay a lot less. That hurts us in recruiting maybe overall for BU it was the right call but the fact that it happened and the facts afterward can and will be used against us
BUatbirth
Ok, that may be the case for some on the outside looking in. However, I don't see a university letting a HOF coach walk. I see a coach who walked,,,and it wasn't a salary issue for either side. Here is interesting data on D1 universities, and what their WBB budgets are. Spoiler alert,,,no university out spent Baylor.

https://www.diycollegerankings.com/much-colleges-spend-d1-womens-basketball-programs/7504/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=SocialWarfare
Eball
Great information to share but it is past tense since Mulk's salary now drops out. To some it looks like we taking a step back in our commitment to WBB. Will and is being used against along with the whole how we treat women referenced to TitleIX issues and perceived negative perception of of how baptists view women.
blackie
Eball said:

Great information to share but it is past tense since Mulk's salary now drops out. To some it looks like we taking a step back in our commitment to WBB. Will and is being used against along with the whole how we treat women referenced to TitleIX issues and perceived negative perception of of how baptists view women.
Whenever Mulkey left or retired, and every coach has to at some point, whoever you could bring in is extremely likely going to get a lower salary. Same would likely be at UConn, SC, etc. That doesn't mean you are lessening the support of the program. There are not that many out there that would warrant the same salary as the one they are replacing, and likely none would change schools where they made their mark without the extremely unusual tie to another place such as was/is the case with KM.
Eball
Don't have to convince me! I am just talking perception not necessarily reality. You look at how Dawn Staley using this as a social media platform for commitment of University and her doing it for not herself but others who are deserving. Recruits snd parents eat that up.
fredbear
It's simple, you pay a coach their market value. KM is a proven commodity, earning a top salary. NC must prove herself and will one day make, perhaps even more. But until then, it would be a irresponsible to pay a coach, male or female, money they cannot yet command on the market. Dawn has won a natty and coached the olympics and is out recruiting anyone not named Geno. NC has not yet accomplished those things. I hope she does. But the AD has a fiduciary responsibility to be a good steward of athletic dollars and disperse funds based on the market forces in each individual sport. No good AD spends more on a coach just to say he did for recruiting purposes.
BUatbirth
Unfortunately, perception does trump reality. I think CNC is trying to improve some of the negatives.
Eball
Not disagreeing but just pointing out that Dawn using her salary to her advantage and coaches will use our loss of Kim to their advantage. How does it look from the outside and what is being said about us.
BUatbirth
Agree, there is definitely negative recruiting going on that CNC and staff have to overcome,,,as well as the late start.
fredbear
I'm sure negative recruiting occurs over any and everything. But bu has proven our willingness and ability to invest heavily in wbb.
blackie
I'm sure there was negative recruiting against KM because of her style of play, that some say did not match the game at the next level. Probably some truth to that. Outside of Griner (unusual situation) for all the championships and Elite 8s, etc. that we have had we really have basically no real star-power in the WNBA outside of her. You know that is a negative recruiting tactic against KM. All coaches/schools have some weaknesses that can be used against them....even Geno (are you really going to get to play or just sit on the bench?).
Eball
Absolutely
historian
BUatbirth said:

Coaches salary used against us in recruiting? Is that really what your saying? If so, no way.
Ask a recruit what a coaches salary is and you'll get a blank stare. I say you would get the same
stare if you ask how much a university invests in their WBB program. The difference here is that a recruit
can SEE how much is invested in WBB,,,facilities, etc. I believe that does matter. Baylor is near the top of what a university puts into women's athletics, and WBB specifically.

All that is true but a recruit sees the banners hanging from the rafters & the trophies in the display case. Mulkey cannot show off those because they remain in Waco & Collen cannot point to them as her accomplishments because they aren't. Maybe in a few years she'll have a few of each to add to her resume & stick with Baylor.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
BUatbirth
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.