Story Poster
Baylor Women's Basketball

No. 5 Baylor Women’s Basketball Flies Past Morehead State

November 30, 2021

WACO, Texas — No. 5 Baylor Women’s Basketball (7-1) easily handled Morehead State 73-28 Tuesday night in the Ferrel Center.

“The word for today was dominate,” coach Nick Collen said after the game. The Bears did just that holding the Eagles to under 10 points in each quarter and 20% shooting from the field. 

Offensively, the Bears were led by Sarah Andrews who tallied 20 points and four assists while shooting 6-8 from 3-point land.

Ja’Mee Asberry added 14 points and four assists while the forward duo of Queen Egbo and NaLyssa Smith booth recorded double-doubles. Egbo finished with 11 points and 116 boards, topping Smith’s mark of 10 and 11. 

Coach Collen was resting Jaden Owens all night with a lower leg issue. After the game, Collen said that she wants Owens back to full health for the majority of the season rather than risking a lingering issue through the whole year.

Despite the tightened guard rotation with Owens’ absence, the Bears ran more in transition as the game wore on. Collen mentioned that Andrews is someone who is learning to play through fatigue, and she did well with that tonight. 

The whole team will need to be good at playing through fatigue if they are going to reach their ceiling this year.

For the opponents, Morehead State’s leading scorer was sidelined for the game so the Eagles played a “stall game” all night, using every last second of the shot clock many times. 

It was a fun and easy game to watch for Bears fans, but Collen wants to clean up the turnovers, force the opposition into more, and play faster earlier moving forward. 

Next up for Baylor is a visit from a 7-0 Missouri team as part of the Big 12/SEC Challenge on Saturday, December 4th at 7 PM. 

Discussion from...

No. 5 Baylor Women’s Basketball Flies Past Morehead State

2,650 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by canoso
bearmission8
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Good game.
“If anyone wants to come after Me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow Me." Luke 9:23
Baylor University Class of 93-94
ChapBear
I love this coach. She knows what she is doing. This team is twice as good as they were the first game and still can get a lot better.
"As a man thinketh, so is he"
canoso
Flys?
bearmission8
I agree. You can see the growth with each game. I can't wait to see how we do in conference play
“If anyone wants to come after Me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow Me." Luke 9:23
Baylor University Class of 93-94
slimecap
Thank you for your post, Jack !
canoso
canoso said:

Flys?
Thanks very much for the appropriate correction to the original thread title. It's important.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.