Interesting game tonight - Kim/LSU vs Iowa St

4,703 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BaylorBears_254
74Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just another person on this site that does not read what is printed and changes it for tgeir own pleasure.
Adriacus Peratuun
BaylorBears_254 said:

I always laughed when people said our style of offense was not winning and that we needed to shoot more "3's", when in reality the offense was never what held us back, it was the ability to stop teams from having career nights against us.

Not correct.

The data clearly shows that the Elite 8 and Sweet 16 flameouts [along with the regular season losses] were almost exclusively an Opportunity issue not an Efficiency issue.

Basketball at its basic level is:

[O efficiency x O opportunity] - [D efficiency x D opportunity] = result.

Mulkey's teams were rarely highly efficient [the "points per possession" metric]. They won because they created extra opportunities through offensive rebounding and limiting turnovers on O while limiting opponent's opportunities through turnovers and D rebounding. In addition, the turnovers lead to easy transition buckets which masked the "less than pedestrian" efficiency in half court O.

The losses came when opposing teams limited turnovers [especially live ball turnovers] and O boards for Baylor. If the losses were attributable to a team shooting lights out, the PPP metric would show a large bump in the games. It rarely did.

Mulkey's wins AND losses were opportunity driven.
BaylorBears_254
Adriacus Peratuun said:

BaylorBears_254 said:

I always laughed when people said our style of offense was not winning and that we needed to shoot more "3's", when in reality the offense was never what held us back, it was the ability to stop teams from having career nights against us.

Not correct.

The data clearly shows that the Elite 8 and Sweet 16 flameouts [along with the regular season losses] were almost exclusively an Opportunity issue not an Efficiency issue.

Basketball at its basic level is:

[O efficiency x O opportunity] - [D efficiency x D opportunity] = result.

Mulkey's teams were rarely highly efficient [the "points per possession" metric]. They won because they created extra opportunities through offensive rebounding and limiting turnovers on O while limiting opponent's opportunities through turnovers and D rebounding. In addition, the turnovers lead to easy transition buckets which masked the "less than pedestrian" efficiency in half court O.

The losses came when opposing teams limited turnovers [especially live ball turnovers] and O boards for Baylor. If the losses were attributable to a team shooting lights out, the PPP metric would show a large bump in the games. It rarely did.

Mulkey's wins AND losses were opportunity driven.

What game did we get blowm out in, in those Elite 8s and Sweet 16s? NONE OF THEM.

We lost due to career nights from the opposing teams players and us not being able to defend the long 3 ball, but what can you do when it's just another teams night.

We had dominant BIGS, i will agree that we did force the ball down low a lot, but the mismatches we had, 90% of the country could not match up with us and stop it.

Nonetheless, we ALWAYS scored efficiently, I never said to myself with a Mulkey team "omg we can't score".

Adriacus Peratuun
BaylorBears_254 said:

What game did we get blowm out in, in those Elite 8s and Sweet 16s? NONE OF THEM.

We lost due to career nights from the opposing teams players and us not being able to defend the long 3 ball, but what can you do when it's just another teams night.

We had dominant BIGS, i will agree that we did force the ball down low a lot, but the mismatches we had, 90% of the country could not match up with us and stop it.

Nonetheless, we ALWAYS scored efficiently, I never said to myself with a Mulkey team "omg we can't score".

2018 loss to OSU: Baylor shot 28 of 71
2016 loss to OSU: Baylor shot 25 of 65
2015 loss to Notre Dame: Baylor shot 29 of 69

the list goes on.

Your "ALWAYS" assertion is absurd. Baylor was rarely a high efficiency team under Mulkey. It was generally a high opportunity team. Limit the opportunities, win the game.

If you shoot the 2 at 40-45% and I shoot the 3 at 35% you have to have many more opportunities to win.
IowaBear
I'm shocked AP has arrived to make his usual arguments against Mulkeys greatness because he has a hard on for her success. I'd love to kno which team captain no it all coached or coaches
LTBear19
Man - Don't remind me about that 2016 Regional Final in Dallas (against Oregon State).

Sure - There were other tough tourney losses (2013 Louisville, 2011 Texas A&M, 2017 Mississippi State, etc.).

But that loss, in our own backyard, against a team we SHOULD have beaten, was as painful as it gets.

BaylorBears_254
Adriacus Peratuun said:

BaylorBears_254 said:

2018 loss to OSU: Baylor shot 28 of 71
2016 loss to OSU: Baylor shot 25 of 65
2015 loss to Notre Dame: Baylor shot 29 of 69

the list goes on.

Your "ALWAYS" assertion is absurd. Baylor was rarely a high efficiency team under Mulkey. It was generally a high opportunity team. Limit the opportunities, win the game.

If you shoot the 2 at 40-45% and I shoot the 3 at 35% you have to have many more opportunities to win.

2018, career game from Gulich, 2016, we were guard heavy, our bigs were young and inexperienced, 2015, we depended entirely on Nina Davis who did her job and that Notre Dame team was GOOD

I rather have an inside-out game over a outside-in game any day of the week.

We didn't get to see Mulkey adapt to the new style of play because she bolted, but she was definitely going with am entirely different style had she stayed
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.