Baseball
Sponsored by

Thoughts on BU now?

5,005 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Jorkel
MrGolfguy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
After opening weekend it was pretty much doom & gloom in here. Since then the Bears have gone 6-2 while winning a series over a ranked Duke team, beating top 10 LSU, battling with top 10 Tennessee before losing, and beating a decently good UCLA team. Has anybody changed their tune on this BU squad or or y'all still thinking:
"We are trash"
"...lost home series...haven't been competitive...we know where this is going"
"Pitiful"

?????
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
IowaBear
They're still just 6-5 on the season. I'd wait to pass judgement until 25-30 games in.
MrGolfguy
So, not impressed with who they've beaten to get to 6 wins? I think it's clear they are not the sad sacks some on here thought they were. Where are these people who were quick to criticize when they lost the first series? They should be just as quick to congratulate after the big wins they've had recently. You're either a Baylor fan or not.
CTbruin
I was at the game last night.

We didn't look like the same team that started the season. We were better than LSU last night in all phases.

Got to give the coaches and players credit.
Johnny Bear
Agree with Iowa - the sample size is too small at this point. I will say it appears we at least have a scrappy bunch that is going to battle people and our ace Tyler Thomas may well be as good as any other starter in college ball, but let's not kid ourselves - overall as a team we don't have the talent level of the top teams out there like UT as an example. Perhaps (hopefully) this team will over achieve over the course of the season and (hopefully) the post season.
MrGolfguy
So if they make a Regional its because they over achieved - not because they are just better than you thought?
Interesting.
Johnny Bear
MrGolfguy said:

So if they make a Regional its because they over achieved - not because they are just better than you thought?
Interesting.

To me the terms are pretty synonymous - over achieving equals being better that one thinks. Again, not a large enough sample size yet. Let's see what happens over the next several weeks and we get well into conference play. And by the way, I seriously hope they do prove they're better than I'm thinking they are.
CTbruin
To me, it's simple...

If they play like they did vs. Maryland - no regionals

If they play like they did in the Shriner's tourney - they will make regionals
MrGolfguy
The Big12 is really strong; could be they finish 5th in conference yet have a really good team.
BellCountyBear
I'm pleasantly surprised, esp. beating a brand like LSU. Still awfully early though.
william
6 - 4 win at acu.

- KKM

>>Carve away the stone (Sisyhpus)
Carve away the stone
Make a graven image
With some features of your own<<
OldDominionBear
Kinda weird to be super reactionary when we are 12 games into the season.

There are a few things I don't particularly think are smart, like playing basically everything in Texas and not traveling. This team can without a doubt make a regional as a 3 seed maybe one of the last 2 seeds but how will they play outside of the state?
Jorkel
MrGolfguy said:

After opening weekend it was pretty much doom & gloom in here. Since then the Bears have gone 6-2 while winning a series over a ranked Duke team, beating top 10 LSU, battling with top 10 Tennessee before losing, and beating a decently good UCLA team. Has anybody changed their tune on this BU squad or or y'all still thinking:
"We are trash"
"Pitiful"

?????

Nope still bad baseball
MrGolfguy
smh
william
tcu is a good squad.

if we dont blow the lead in the 9th in game 2 - we take the series.

glass half full

- KKM

host utsa.

@sooners this weekend.

{ sipping coffee }

{ eating donut }

>>Carve away the stone (Sisyhpus)
Carve away the stone
Make a graven image
With some features of your own<<
Oldbear83
Since the last post, our bullpen has shown we are nowhere near ready for NCAA competition.

Fielding is OK, starting pitching good, but we can't hold a lead to save our lives.

For the second series in a row, we lost the middle game because we couldn't close a door. Today we literally gave up 8 straight runs and could not get even one out in the 9th.

And we are in grave danger of being swept tomorrow.

If this team wins, they will have to find relief pitching really soon.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
El Oso
This is a bad baseball team. Either the players are dumb or the coaches are. Hopefully, it ain't both.

Down 7-0 to DBU we have bases loaded and 1 out. Double to the gap scores three, but somebody thought it would be a good time to try and stretch a double into a triple. Out by a mile at third. Rally killed down 7-3.

Next inning, maybe two later, leadoff double. Next batter hits a ground ball right at the shortstop. *** was the runner thinking going to third? It was super obvious the ball wasn't getting through. Ground ball in front of you don't move until the throw goes to first.

It could have easily been 7-7 or 7-6.

But alas, ****ty pitching made it all irrelevant.

You can have off nights and still have an okay/good season, but if you aren't baseball smart, you aren't going anywhere.
CTbruin
El Oso said:

This is a bad baseball team. Either the players are dumb or the coaches are. Hopefully, it ain't both.

Down 7-0 to DBU we have bases loaded and 1 out. Double to the gap scores three, but somebody thought it would be a good time to try and stretch a double into a triple. Out by a mile at third. Rally killed down 7-3.

Next inning, maybe two later, leadoff double. Next batter hits a ground ball right at the shortstop. *** was the runner thinking going to third? It was super obvious the ball wasn't getting through. Ground ball in front of you don't move until the throw goes to first.

It could have easily been 7-7 or 7-6.

But alas, ****ty pitching made it all irrelevant.

You can have off nights and still have an okay/good season, but if you aren't baseball smart, you aren't going anywhere.

Obviously you know baseball. I was thinking of both instances making that out at third. Bad base coaching or did runner run through coaches signs.

I remember back in the day I was taught....."don't make the third out at third". We did it twice.
IowaBear
And this is why the sample size was too small. Yes we beat two pretty good teams early in the year. But this team isn't good at all. They aren't sniffing a regional
El Oso
It's tough to tell if it was players, coaches are both. In fairness, this was my first BU game this year. I coached baseball for 12 years and umpired for 20. Last night was one of the worst games I've ever seen a team play. I'll be in Austin for that series, but I am not hopeful. Friday night game for sure, plans with a friend on Saturday, maybe catch the noon game Sunday and get out of town.

Last night just seemed like more than a bad night though. You're going to have a SS and LF miscommunicate and drop a routine(ish) fly ball. You're going to just have a bad night pitching (but all 6 pitchers?). You're going to have players run through signs. It's part of the game, but when it all happens in the same game...

And that doesn't count all the pickoff moves to first. Seriously. ***. He probably threw more times to first than actual pitches in the second inning. Then a pickoff throw to either second or third gets away from the base and kid ends up scoring. It's middle school baseball by kids who probably came up through select. There are a few ways to keep a guy on a base without actually throwing the ball to that base.

I get it. One game sample size for me plus what I read here, so it's all a grain of salt.

I had the DBU runner safe at first in the second inning. The call wasn't upheld due to lack of video evidence. I saw it that way in real time.

Forgot what the second review was, but I had it the way it was called on the field too.

I thought or runner left early from second in the 8th? but that was a lot closer. The review happened because the second base umpire didn't get a good line with him, the runner, and the CF. I thought we left early, but it's super hard to make that call when you have a bad line and the fielder crashes into the wall while catching the ball.

The only super bad call last night was the DBU check swing in bottom of 7th or 8th. I think 1B umpire was sleeping and plate umpire blinked. It really should have been 1Bs call though. He was definitely sleeping.

Jorkel
MrGolfguy said:

"We are trash"
"Pitiful"

?????

Soooooo do you want me to say it again? Bad bad bad baseball still being played and I stand by that
Jorkel
MrGolfguy said:

"We are trash"
"Pitiful"

?????

Now that we are getting trounced by Texas …by almost a football score. Do you think we are good or are we trash? I'm still leaning towards trash
MrGolfguy
I think they're better than the results show.
Oldbear83
MrGolfguy said:

I think we're roadkill hoping the oncoming semi changes lanes.
Jorkel
Oldbear83 said:

MrGolfguy said:

I think we're roadkill hoping the oncoming semi changes lanes.

The oncoming semi UT truck just did a real number on our buttholes
MrGolfguy
When you have bad pitching it makes things seem worse than they are. This team is not devoid of talent.
IowaBear
46-9 says otherwise. This team just took an all time series beating. Spin it however you'd like this team sucks
MrGolfguy
The obvious worst series of the year doesn't define this team. Esp. when the top 2 pitchers either got injured or just came back from injury and pitched 2 innings combined.
Oldbear83
MrGolfguy said:

The obvious worst series of the year doesn't define this team. Esp. when the top 2 pitchers either got injured or just came back from injury and pitched 2 innings combined.
the plain, grim fact is we are 4 and 11 in conference play,

Whatever happens the rest of the season, we're not going to win an at large berth in the playoffs.

Jorkel
MrGolfguy said:

When you have bad pitching it makes things seem worse than they are. This team is not devoid of talent.

Just because a team is not devoid of talent doesn't mean they aren't bad this year. If I'm not mistaken, pitching is a large portion of the game. If I'm not mistaken hitting is as well and we were 3-23 with runners in scoring position this weekend. I'm sure the Kansas football team isn't completely devoid of talent either but they still suck.
BellCountyBear
They suck.
Jorkel
We are a good team, just don't have a good record…..
Oldbear83
Jorkel said:

Sorry but no, we are what our record says we are.

MrGolfguy
Oldbear83 said:

Jorkel said:

Sorry but no, we are what our record says we are.

Right, a good team with poor pitching
CTbruin
And hitting…..
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.