Baseball
Sponsored by

It's been a long time

2,244 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Johnny Bear
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Great Baylor Merchandise -> https://bit.ly/2M8DuHk
Stranger
a lot of water under the bridge, or is it over the dam?
I'm a Bearbacker
parch
By now I think the dam burst and the flood broke the bridge.
Johnny Bear
With all of the talented, capable teams Smith had during his time at BU (at least prior to his last 3 seasons) it's hard to believe we only got to the CWS that one season in '05.
MrGolfguy
Yep, 1999 and 2012 still really sting.
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
parch
The 2012 super regional loss to Arkansas was probably the most crushing result in any Baylor sport that I can ever remember.

Up 1-0 in the series with (IMO) the best top-to-bottom roster we've ever had, you go into the B9 in Game 2 with a 4-3 lead and choke it away, then lose Game 3 in the 10th inning to end the season. Oh, and both game-winning runs scored with two outs, and Game 3 ended with Josh Ludy on 2nd base. Absolutely brutal.

It also kind of broke our program. Since 2013, as a program we are a middling 263-223, have won two NCAA postseason games total and have missed the postseason entirely five times - probably about to be six. It is by far our worst run since the 80's.
Johnny Bear
MrGolfguy said:

You can also add in 2000 - Smith's first B12 Championship team - that as a National Top 8 seed went 2 and que in the regional at own ballpark. Plus there isn't enough time to go through all of his CWS capable teams that choked away late inning leads to blow both regionals and super regionals (his teams were especially cursed if it involved playing at Rice).
Nguyen One Soon
Johnny Bear said:

MrGolfguy said:

You can also add in 2000 - Smith's first B12 Championship team - that as a National Top 8 seed went 2 and que in the regional at own ballpark. Plus there isn't enough time to go through all of his CWS capable teams that choked away late inning leads to blow both regionals and super regionals (his teams were especially cursed if it involved playing at Rice).
You mean the Wayne Graham Invitational Regionals?
Fre3dombear
Didn't we also blow a super regional to University of Dallas?
MrGolfguy
Nope
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
Bear8084
MrGolfguy said:

The 2012 Super Regional has to be one of the most baffling and frustrating moments in Baylor Baseball. I have never been that angry about a Baylor Baseball series. Well maybe that one regional elimination game we blew after being up like 12-1. I think that one was the Summer of 2011.
STxBear81
Are we celebrating the 2012 team
In two weeks ?
CTbruin
April 30
Alf
Bear8084 said:

MrGolfguy said:

The 2012 Super Regional has to be one of the most baffling and frustrating moments in Baylor Baseball. I have never been that angry about a Baylor Baseball series. Well maybe that one regional elimination game we blew after being up like 12-1. I think that one was the Summer of 2011.

Ugh, I was at the 2012 super. Room service dp ball hit to short that if converted would've sent us to the ws. Alas, it was booted Arkansas came from behind to win the game and then also won game 3. Hated all those hog fans celebrating at our expense.
Stefano DiMera
Was that when Smith pinch hit a pitcher in game 3?

Also..there was a debacle with Rice we lost some crazy way in the 9th.

And 2011 we were up on Cal in the final of the Houston Regional 7-1:and lost 9-8.
Robert Wilson
Alf said:

Bear8084 said:

MrGolfguy said:

Ugh, I was at the 2012 super. Room service dp ball hit to short that if converted would've sent us to the ws. Alas, it was booted Arkansas came from behind to win the game and then also won game 3. Hated all those hog fans celebrating at our expense.
I was at all 3 games. Still not over that series.

Smith also subbed out our shortstop late in one of those games for either a pinch runner or a pinch hitter. When it happened, I said we are gonna regret that. Then the backup SS couldn't make a play that cost us the game. Brutal. Smith out-thunk himself.
parch
Unless it's a different moment you may be misremembering.

The error that cost us Game 2 in the 9th inning was on starting SS Jake Miller, who ended his BU career 3rd all time in double plays initiated and was one of the best defensive infielders we've ever had. That actually makes it worse than a backup making a mistake if you ask me. We ended up with two HBP to end the game in the following two ABs after that E which would've ended the game.

Game 3 did end with a single past DalPorto at SS in the 10th, but it wasn't an error. Just a seeing-eye single through a gap that would've been unreasonable for anyone to get to. And even if he had gloved it, no way he could've gotten it to 1st on time. Just a good piece of hitting.
Robert Wilson
parch said:

Unless it's a different moment you may be misremembering.

The error that cost us Game 2 in the 9th inning was on starting SS Jake Miller, who ended his BU career 3rd all time in double plays initiated and was one of the best defensive infielders we've ever had. That actually makes it worse than a backup making a mistake if you ask me. We ended up with two HBP to end the game in the following two ABs after that E which would've ended the game.

Game 3 did end with a single past DalPorto at SS in the 10th, but it wasn't an error. Just a seeing-eye single through a gap that would've been unreasonable for anyone to get to. And even if he had gloved it, no way he could've gotten it to 1st on time. Just a good piece of hitting.
I'm talking about the game 3 play. Miller had great range. I thought taking him out was a mistake. I thought Miller could've gotten to that ball. I agree it was a hit.
parch
Fair enough, either way pretty wild that both losses turned on a play not made from the hole from two different players.
Robert Wilson
parch said:

Fair enough, either way pretty wild that both losses turned on a play not made from the hole from two different players.
No kidding. Brutal. FTR I don't blame Dalporto at all. Like I said, it was a hit.
whitetrash
Stefano DiMera said:

And 2011 we were up on Cal in the final of the Houston Regional 7-1:and lost 9-8.
Rice in 2001(?) I saw us lose game 1 on Friday afternoon. We were down 9-0 going to the 8th in game 2, but rallied to win 11-10 in 10 to force game 3. I missed that one celebrating my engagement with my now wife. We continued the celebration the next afternoon at game 3

In game 3, we were up 4-2 going to the bottom of the 9th. Rice had 1st and 3rd no outs, but Matt Williams threw wide of 1st on a grounder that scored one. Ground out left runners at 2nd & 3rd with one out, so we intentionally walk the next guy, but on ball 3 Zane Carlson throws it 10 feet over Schoppach's head to the backstop. If the net hadn't been there I would have caught it. Game now tied, runners 1st & 3rd, and the next guy hits a line drive to left about 18 inches inside the line to win 5-4. I saw the swing but didn't wait to see the guy cross the plate; I was already halfway to the car by then.
GShack
Robert Wilson said:

Alf said:

Bear8084 said:

MrGolfguy said:

I was at all 3 games. Still not over that series.

Smith also subbed out our shortstop late in one of those games for either a pinch runner or a pinch hitter. When it happened, I said we are gonna regret that. Then the backup SS couldn't make a play that cost us the game. Brutal. Smith out-thunk himself.

Smith pinch hit Turley for Miller in Game 3. Turley, who was a great pitcher but had all of 7 AB for the season, struck out. Miller was out of the game and I knew it was coming too. Bonehead decision.
Johnny Bear
Alf said:

Bear8084 said:

MrGolfguy said:

I can still see that tailor made double play ball heading for Miller's glove and thinking that's it - we're headed for the CWS - only to frustratingly see him boot it and open the door for an "L". It was probably a similar feeling to what Red Sox fans felt when Bill Buckner blew a routine softly hit ground ball right at him that would've won the World Series against the Mets in that infamous Game 6 back in the 80's.
Johnny Bear
whitetrash said:

Stefano DiMera said:

Rice in 2001(?) I saw us lose game 1 on Friday afternoon. We were down 9-0 going to the 8th in game 2, but rallied to win 11-10 in 10 to force game 3. I missed that one celebrating my engagement with my now wife. We continued the celebration the next afternoon at game 3

In game 3, we were up 4-2 going to the bottom of the 9th. Rice had 1st and 3rd no outs, but Matt Williams threw wide of 1st on a grounder that scored one.

I thought Williams caught a double play ground ball and sailed the throw to second into center field which would've left Rice down to their last out with nobody on, still trailing by 1, had the play been converted. Smith's teams were just so cursed in the post season when playing at Rice.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.