Baseball
Sponsored by

Good article on college baseball scholarship limitations

5,640 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by STxBear81
ChipOC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/stretching-scholarship-dollars-key-college-success/?utm_content=buffercacc2&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer#DjV3uP7z5lm41hd8.97
BU84BEAR
I haven't read the article yet, but I will say this which I expect applies,

The absolute best hitter I have ever seen in person as a recruit was drafted # 500 and something out of high school. He received a 25% scholarship offer from Texas A&M that year. Because of the only partial scholarship, and the fact that he was not strong academically, he signed with the Twins. He made it to AA and at the time was listed by Twin's insider writers as the number one short stop prospect for the Twins, and I fully expected him to make it.to start in the majors.

Unfortunately he blew out his knee and ended his career.
BU84BEAR
I have read the article now and although I had understood the basics, I think the article really made it clear the uneven playing field schools face. I certainly didn't understand all the different ways that make that the case, or the ways schools use or have to maintain an advantage.
AustinCory
Steve Smith approves this message.
ChipOC
ValpoCory said:

And is quoted about the same things he was saying before in the article. He definitely had a point, but you can't let it hinder your recruitment by using it as an excuse if you want to be successful. You just have to find something else to sell and outwork the competition to overcome their advantages.
Ludwig von Missi
ValpoCory said:

I approve this message too. The inequity in college baseball is ridiculous.
ChipOC
Crash Davis said:

ValpoCory said:

Inapprove this message too. The inequity in college baseball is ridiculous.

And it all starts with the ridiculous limit on the number of scholarships that I've yet to hear a reason it exists.
90sBear
ChipOC said:

Crash Davis said:

ValpoCory said:

And it all starts with the ridiculous limit on the number of scholarships that I've yet to hear a reason it exists.
I think it's a mix of a few things.

First off with football having so many scholarships, it helps to balance things out money-wise in terms of Title IX

For many schools, especially small ones, it makes the sport less expensive to maintain as baseball isn't really a money maker.

For large state schools it gives them an advantage over successful private schools for the reasons in the article above.

Even successful private schools that have a large endowment (Rice, Vanderbilt) could see it as an advantage over the likes of TCU, Baylor, etc. as they have additional funds to help offset cost, again as mentioned in the article.

Basically there are too many NCAA member schools the rule benefits.
Ludwig von Missi
90sBear said:

ChipOC said:

Crash Davis said:

ValpoCory said:

I think it's a mix of a few things.

First off with football having so many scholarships, it helps to balance things out money-wise in terms of Title IX

For many schools, especially small ones, it makes the sport less expensive to maintain as baseball isn't really a money maker.

For large state schools it gives them an advantage over successful private schools for the reasons in the article above.

Even successful private schools that have a large endowment (Rice, Vanderbilt) could see it as an advantage over the likes of TCU, Baylor, etc. as they have additional funds to help offset cost, again as mentioned in the article.

Basically there are too many NCAA member schools the rule benefits.
Good summary.
SSadler
Cooter,

I've been AWOL for the past few years due to health.

Question: how recent has it been that Texas has been absent from Baseball America's Top 25 recruiting classes?

I could look it up, but you're acute intelligence is faster (and I'm lazy).
SSadler
Anybody other than Cooter or CT remember the last "full ride" scholarship guy at Baylor.

I THINK I do, but I've not been around lately.
beerman
I believe it was Jason Jennings.......
AustinCory
beerman said:

I believe it was Jason Jennings.......
It's unclear how much he got from this article: It might have been full.

Quote:

That was a good thing for Baylor. The following summer former Baylor head coach, Steve Smith, and company watched Jennings in a summer league game and immediately offered the stocky, hard-throwing pitcher/catcher combo a scholarship.

"Baylor came knocking, offered me a scholarship and told me as long as I passed, (the scholarship amount) wouldn't go down," Jennings said.

or this one:

Quote:

Drafted in the 54th round by the Arizona Diamondbacks, Jennings turned down the offer to turn pro and came to Baylor in the fall of 1996.

"I'd say I was about 95 percent dead set on coming to Baylor," he said. "It would have had to be a high-round draft pick for me to give up the scholarship that Coach (Steve) Smith offered me. I think mentally and physically, I wasn't mature enough yet for pro ball. And in hindsight, after those three years at Baylor when I got in drafted in 1999, I knew I was ready."

SSadler
Been enough time for educated memories to pass. I still don't know.

I recall (with and UNeducated memory) that Mark McCormick got a full ride. But don't quote that.
CTbruin
ChipOC said:

Crash Davis said:

ValpoCory said:

Title IX

....and that's the truth
BaylorGuy314
Josh Ford got a really hefty scholarship if memory serves. Not full ride though.
Nguyen One Soon
SSadler said:

DAnybody other than Cooter or CT remember the last "full ride" scholarship guy at Baylor.

I THINK I do, but I've not been around lately.
Trae Davis was either full ride or close to it.
STxBear81
In 2015 Smith was primarily against rising tuition costs for the student athlete....but it seems to me that at Baylor a student athlete could receive academic and athletic aid. was this true then? is this true today? According to the article a student need to have either a 105 ACT sum or 1200ACT or 3.5 GA or top 10% graduating class...to receive academic aid.. Is that still the case? for example if I have a 3.5 or better GPA and I am good enough to play baseball but only on academic aid...do I receive aid based on my 3.5 GPA ? I would receive what any student would qualify for with the same 3.5 GPA correct? or am I reading this wrong?
I know at Rice you get either academic or athletic support not both. Isnt there also some aid based on family income for all students?
JIVATY
BornAgain said:

In 2015 Smith was primarily against rising tuition costs for the student athlete....but it seems to me that at Baylor a student athlete could receive academic and athletic aid. was this true then? is this true today? According to the article a student need to have either a 105 ACT sum or 1200ACT or 3.5 GA or top 10% graduating class...>Vidmate iTunes Notepad++ to receive academic aid.. Is that still the case? for example if I have a 3.5 or better GPA and I am good enough to play baseball but only on academic aid...do I receive aid based on my 3.5 GPA ? I would receive what any student would qualify for with the same 3.5 GPA correct? or am I reading this wrong?
I know at Rice you get either academic or athletic support not both. Isnt there also some aid based on family income for all students?

STxBear81
I understand. What I do not understand are the questions I posed in the statement... does any one know the answers?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.