Baseball
Sponsored by

Wayne Graham leaving Rice after the 2018 season

2,751 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by RioRata
RioRata
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://www.fox26houston.com/sports/wayne-graham-leaving-rice-after-the-2018-season

Quote:

HOUSTON (FOX 26) - Rice baseball coach Wayne Graham told FOX 26 Sports his career with the Owls will end at the conclusion of this season.

"The athletic director (Joe Karlgaard) has informed me that my contract will not be extended at the end of the 2018 season," Graham said. "I am totally committed to this year's team and will give everything I have to place this team in the postseason. I love teaching and coaching and have no plans to retire.

Graham, who has been the Owls baseball coach since 1991, is in the final year of his contract at Rice.

"Multiple sources have informed me that a former player has been campaigning for my job, and has solicited the aid of other former players," Graham said. "This has been extremely hurtful to my wife and I since we have loved and supported all these players."

Good luck coach.

NoBSU
Who is the former player? Is it Berkman?
RioRata
NoBSU said:

Not sure. Sounds like something Roger Clemens would do. Clemens played for Graham at San Jac.
BellCountyBear
Dude is 82 - time to hang up the cleats!
NoBSU
BellCountyBear said:

Dude is 82 - time to hang up the cleats!
Maybe or maybe not. My dad at 72 could give you the book on 90% of the hitters in the major leagues. He retired at 60 with cancer. Recovered and watched baseball from Noon to 10pm everyday. I have known 85 year-old men and women with minds sharp as a tack.

Taken out by your own former player is a rough way to go.
Ludwig von Missi
NoBSU said:

Yep. Definitely Berkman.
RioRata
Crash Davis said:

NoBSU said:

Yep. Definitely Berkman.

Screw him. Rice should let the old man leave on his own terms. After all, he brought them their only team NC in school history.
DaveyBear
Ol Graham is meaner than a snake. I really never understood how he recruited so many great players.
JaMycal Hasty through 9/22
Rush 29 att 182 yds 6.3 ypc
Rec 9 rec 80 yds 8.9 ypc
Johnny Bear
DaveyBear said:

Ol Graham is meaner than a snake. I really never understood how he recruited so many great players.
On the one hand I get your point, but on the other hand some unique coaches are able to somehow, some way be total a$$hats and still recruit/develop fantastic players. How else do you explain the obvious successes of former coaches like Bobby Knight and Woody Hayes?
RioRata
Rice introduces Tennessee Tech Matt Bragga as Graham's successor.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Bragga
MrGolfguy
Did i mention that i'm a huge Tennessee Tech fan?
RioRata
MrGolfguy said:

Did i mention that i'm a huge Tennessee Tech fan?

I kinda saw your thread.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.