Baseball
Sponsored by

It was a good season

4,604 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Johnny Bear
Johnny Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wish we were still playing, but at least the team went down competitively battling against one of the best teams in the country and I'm proud of that Big 12 Tourney Championship. Lots of youth on the team which provides a lot of hope going forward (depending to some extent on who possibly leaves early for pro ball). Rod was a good hire and he has things going in the right direction - hopefully we can keep the guy long term.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
We were at the camp working yesterday and tried to follow the game as best we could. When Stanford got the 4th run I knew it was going to be a tough hill to climb. Most of the team returns and a few more additions to the mound will be welcome.
BellCountyBear
It was an ok season with some overachievement and some underachievement. Anything less than a super-regional appearance next year will be disappointing.
BUbackerinET
Brian Ethridge said:

We were at the camp working yesterday and tried to follow the game as best we could. When Stanford got the 4th run I knew it was going to be a tough hill to climb. Most of the team returns and a few more additions to the mound will be welcome.
Just hope we can keep them all...draft upcoming, and bonuses and paychecks are appealing
txrangers
Agreed. Expectations should be as high as ever possibly heading into next season. 95 percent of the roster is back with a potential of having every nine spots in the lineup back as well as all three starters.
pilgrim
This team made Baylor baseball fun to watch again, especially when they got it together. The performance in the Big 12 Tournament made the season very good. I look forward to next year.
Nguyen One Soon
We were picked to finish eighth in the conference, with no wins expected in OKC. Once we got some guys back from injuries, things started to click. We were sent to a super-tough region after winning in OKC, even without a winner take all game.

The two starters who concern me are Cunningham and Wendzel. I am not sure Rich is coming back, and if he does just how he will rehab from surgery. We missed him in CF this year. And if Davis gets drafted high enough, we lose him.
BellCountyBear
What was bad was the overall level of disinterest on this board even when the team started to click. Hopefully that continues to improve with more winning.
bunation
Agree with all comments.

We, Baylor sports fans, needed this success/boost to our sports-morale.

Salute to the staff and team.
KOKQB70
Who knows what high school seniors we signed for next year and scoop on each???
MrGolfguy
KOK QB 70 said:

The one i know of is Braxton Ashcraft, RHP, local kid from Robinson, 6'5"
He got drafted #51 by the Pirates tonight
Backporch
Fun to watch the late season run.

Hopefully next year we can pick up where we left off.

Sic Em!
JXL
First ever conference tournament championship, that's a pretty good season. Yes, let's pick up next year where we left off.
Johnny Bear
MrGolfguy said:

KOK QB 70 said:

The one i know of is Braxton Ashcraft, RHP, local kid from Robinson, 6'5"
He got drafted #51 by the Pirates tonight
I hope Rod is able to get some top notch left handed pitching help, particularly coming out of the pen next season. All in all we had a solid pen this season but really right handed loaded, at least per the more frequently used arms.
Nguyen One Soon
JXL said:

First ever conference tournament championship, that's a pretty good season. Yes, let's pick up next year where we left off.
Need to be a little more specific so we do not confuse the children. This was our first Big 12 tourney championship. We won SWC tourney titles in '77, '78 and '93.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
BellCountyBear said:

What was bad was the overall level of disinterest on this board even when the team started to click. Hopefully that continues to improve with more winning.
The premium side had over 300 posts and 20K hits on the game threads during the conference run and NCAA tourney. Game threads were usually 5K a game.
Texasjeremy
Nguyen One Soon said:

We were picked to finish eighth in the conference, with no wins expected in OKC. Once we got some guys back from injuries, things started to click. We were sent to a super-tough region after winning in OKC, even without a winner take all game.

The two starters who concern me are Cunningham and Wendzel. I am not sure Rich is coming back, and if he does just how he will rehab from surgery. We missed him in CF this year. And if Davis gets drafted high enough, we lose him.

Davis Wendzel is not draft eligible.
AustinCory
BellCountyBear said:

Yep. Comparing apples to apples, i.e. free board to free board, this Baseball board doesn't have the same numbers as the BaylorFans free Baseball Board did.

I hope this team can help bring the energy and enthusiasm back to the free Baylor Baseball message board.
Nguyen One Soon
Texasjeremy said:

Nguyen One Soon said:

Yes he was, based on age. Turned 21 on May 23. From MLB:

"Certain groups of players are ineligible for selection, generally because they are still in school. The basic categories of players eligible to be drafted are:

• High school players, if they have graduated from high school and have not yet attended college or junior college;
  • College players, from four-year colleges who have either completed their junior or senior years or are at least 21 years old; and
  • Junior college players, regardless of how many years of school they have completed"
Brian Ethridge
Staff
ValpoCory said:

BellCountyBear said:

Yep. Comparing apples to apples, i.e. free board to free board, this Baseball board doesn't have the same numbers as the BaylorFans free Baseball Board did.

I hope this team can help bring the energy and enthusiasm back to the free Baylor Baseball message board.
That's what I'm saying, the baseball guys are on premium. The site before wasn't conducive to game threads, but this site is, so they're over behind the wall on a game thread. We moved it out here and they started another game thread. We'd rather it be a whole site thread, but it didn't work out. Football has both threads going pretty well. Baseball, MBB, and WBB just don't seem to do well on both free and premium.
Johnny Bear
Nguyen One Soon said:

JXL said:

Need to be a little more specific so we do not confuse the children. This was our first Big 12 tourney championship. We won SWC tourney titles in '77, '78 and '93.
Funny how Mickey Sullivan could win some (SWC) conference tourney championships, but could never win the season championship, while Steve Smith won 3 regular season (Big 12) championships, but couldn't win the conference tourney title to save his life (went 0-6 in tourney championship games). Good to see Rod put an end to that miserable streak in just his 3rd season at the helm.
AustinCory
Brian Ethridge said:

ValpoCory said:

BellCountyBear said:

That's what I'm saying, the baseball guys are on premium. The site before wasn't conducive to game threads, but this site is, so they're over behind the wall on a game thread. We moved it out here and they started another game thread. We'd rather it be a whole site thread, but it didn't work out. Football has both threads going pretty well. Baseball, MBB, and WBB just don't seem to do well on both free and premium.
Hopefully one day the free baseball board will be able to have their own threads go pretty well too.
AustinCory
Johnny Bear said:

Nguyen One Soon said:

JXL said:

Funny how Mickey Sullivan could win some (SWC) conference tourney championships, but could never win the season championship, while Steve Smith won 3 regular season (Big 12) championships, but couldn't win the conference tourney title to save his life (went 0-6 in tourney championship games). Good to see Rod put an end to that miserable streak in just his 3rd season at the helm.
Regular Season Big XII champions get to host Regionals. I hope we see more of those.
MrGolfguy
Texasjeremy said:

Nguyen One Soon said:

Better tell the Red Sox, they drafted him today
Nguyen One Soon
MrGolfguy said:

Texasjeremy said:

Nguyen One Soon said:

This was a late round, most likely to establish contact for next year. He told more than one team he wasn't available once it got to the 5th round or so.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
ValpoCory said:

Brian Ethridge said:

ValpoCory said:

BellCountyBear said:

Hopefully one day the free baseball board will be able to have their own threads go pretty well too.

I'd be happy to see it
Texasjeremy
MrGolfguy said:

Texasjeremy said:

Nguyen One Soon said:

Was it an age deal that allowed him to be drafted after only 2 years of college?
Nguyen One Soon
Yes. He turned 21 the first day of the Big 12 tournament. I copied the requirements from MLB in my post just a couple past yours declaring him draft ineligible.
Johnny Bear
ValpoCory said:

Johnny Bear said:

Nguyen One Soon said:

JXL said:

Regular Season Big XII champions get to host Regionals. I hope we see more of those.
I agree - the regular season championship is always the greater accomplishment for obvious reasons, but it's still good to take home the conference tourney trophy when you can. Barring things like injuries, etc., I don't see why we won't have a team capable of at least making a strong run at the season championship next year.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.