Story Poster
Photo by Todd Nickle
Baylor Baseball

Baylor's Big 12 title hopes still alive despite cancellation against OSU

May 18, 2019

STILLWATER, Okla. – The Bears’ regular season finale at Oklahoma State set for Saturday, May 18 at 2 p.m. CT has been cancelled due to inclement weather. It will not be made up. 

The Bears finish the regular season with an overall record of 33-15, 14-8 in the Big 12. The winning percentage in the conference is .636 and the Bears will await the winner of tonight’s game, TCU at Texas Tech to see how they finish in the Big 12 regular season. Per winning percentage, a Texas Tech loss tonight means the Bears will win the regular season conference title, while a Texas Tech win means the Bears will finish second in the conference.

The Bears will resume action on Wednesday, May 22 at the Phillips 66 Big 12 Baseball Championship in Oklahoma City. Game time and opponent are to-be-determined on conference finish.

Discussion from...

Baylor's Big 12 title hopes still alive despite cancellation against OSU

8,300 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Johnny Bear
Oldbear83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Weird thought; Since the standings are determined by percentage, if TCU beats Tech, the Bears can win the regular season title by beating OSU today, or if today's game is rained out.
richnet12
Was the game rained out?
Richnet12
richnet12
The starting time has been moved from 2pm to 5:30pm.
Richnet12
Oldbear83
richnet12 said:

Was the game rained out?
In a weather delay now. I figure we want to play to have a chance at ending a 3-game conference losing streak and bump up our RPI, but the idea that we could win without playing is something I had not thought about until now.
Johnny Bear
Oldbear83 said:

richnet12 said:

Was the game rained out?
In a weather delay now. I figure we want to play to have a chance at ending a 3-game conference losing streak and bump up our RPI, but the idea that we could win without playing is something I had not thought about until now.
Given that we need TTech to lose in any case, with the way things have been going so far in this series combined with the fact that we don't have a bonafide 3rd starter, I'm really tempted to root for a cancellation at this point.
CTbruin
Brice Cherry, Waco Trib, is reporting on twitter that game is cancelled. If true, we could still win title of TT loses.

Johnny Bear
Come on TCU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BellCountyBear
I hate relying on frogs for anything other than warts.
Stefano DiMera
TCU just tied it up 2-2 in 4th
Bgleaton
Where can you find the game?
Oldbear83
Bgleaton said:

Where can you find the game?
ESPNU
KOKQB70
Dang, 3 unearned runs for Tech, 5-2 in 5th.
Oldbear83
6-2 Tech now
bunation
Never trust one of these:

No Longer Gold
TCU is throwing this game.
Mahan1979
Oldbear83
8-4 final Tech wins the title.

TCU played well, in my opinion.
lookin4awin
Mahan1979 said:

I wouldn't put it past them. They despise seeing Baylor as Champions in anything.
Gosh, I don't think they are that stupid (well, that's something hard to say about Frogpond), because they are struggling to get into the NCAA. Beating TT would have been a big win for them. I think they and Okies are fighting to be the last Big 12 team.
Johnny Bear
Oldbear83 said:

Are you kidding? Their defense was terrible and they gifted Tech most of their runs. They may well have ultimately lost anyway, but no, they didn't play well.
Johnny Bear
lookin4awin said:

Mahan1979 said:

I wouldn't put it past them. They despise seeing Baylor as Champions in anything.
Gosh, I don't think they are that stupid (well, that's something hard to say about Frogpond), because they are struggling to get into the NCAA. Beating TT would have been a big win for them.
Exactly. True, they hate us, but does anybody think they wanted Tech to win it? They didn't "throw" the game - they just played really bad at a really inopportune time.
Oldbear83
Johnny Bear said:

Oldbear83 said:

Are you kidding? Their defense was terrible and they gifted Tech most of their runs. They may well have ultimately lost anyway, but no, they didn't play well.
Agree to disagree. Anyway, if the Bears had been their best Thursday and Friday, the Bears would be champs.

Not going to blame TCU for not giving us what we could not earn.
Johnny Bear
Oldbear83 said:

Johnny Bear said:

Oldbear83 said:

Agree to disagree. Anyway, if the Bears had been their best Thursday and Friday, the Bears would be champs.

Not going to blame TCU for not giving us what we could not earn.
I'm not blaming TCU either, and as indicated they may've ended up losing anyway - but they were sure never going to beat a team like TTech by making multiple defensive miscues and spotting them runs. Agree that it was obviously there for BU's taking and although I think a lot of it was the impact of all of the injuries finally kicking in, the bottom line is we didn't get it done and it shouldn't have come down to having to depend on TCU.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.