Baseball
Sponsored by

Field of Dreams becomes reality

1,526 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by blackie
TXSVT
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/randy-peterson/2019/08/08/new-york-yankees-chicago-white-sox-field-of-dreams-mlb-game-dyersville-iowa-movie-site-2020/1955560001/
Oldbear83
And Kevin-Costner free. Maybe it is heaven.
blackie
The movie reminds me of a time in my youth. At that point I could tell you the manager and at least 10 players on every team on all 16 major league teams (I was an Orioles fan because of Paul Richards). Right now, I couldn't tell you the manager of any team in the entire league outside of the Rangers, and only that because I hear him on the sportscast on TV or see him mentioned on the sports page in the paper. I couldn't tell you any players anywhere. I just don't care anymore.

When I was growing up baseball was a boy's life in the summer. Even 50 years after graduating from high school in my one-school relatively small town I can remember the teams all my friends played on. Even if you weren't athletic, if you were a boy you played baseball. We could look up to major league players and didn't have to worry about one of our heroes jumping to another team....traded yes, but not jumping from one to team to another on a frequent basis just because of money. The players were loyal to their fans. Now, it is nothing more than a money grabbing business.

It is truly sad to me and probably most people of my generation (early Baby Boomer) that we have lost what is the nostalgia depicted in this movie and its times. For those that didn't grow up in the 1950s and 60s and are baseball fans, I feel sad that you never got to experience this. But this is true of many of the things I remember growing up when times were simpler and people were respectful of each other and cared for each other. I doubt the world will ever get that back.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.