Baseball
Sponsored by

Baylor baseball suspensions

7,071 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BluesBear
txrangers
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Brutal coming with the season starting next week. Disappointed these are upperclassmen.
https://www.kwtx.com/content/sports/BU-Baseball-team-announces-suspension-of-14-students-linked-to-hazing-incident-567669461.html

David Smoak (@DavidSmoak) Tweeted:
#Baylor baseball has suspended 14 players over a period of time for a hazing incident. Press release from @BaylorAthletics. https://t.co/jGnJnPK43O

MrGolfguy
Terrible; did the kid(s) that got hazed just now say something after a year?
pilgrim
Will we hear what the nature and extent of the hazing was?
jdrs
Disappointed more bad news from a Baylor sports team.
Nguyen One Soon
MrGolfguy said:

Terrible; did the kid(s) that got hazed just now say something after a year?
Supposed hazing was February of 2019. Athletic officials became aware of it last May, and notified appropriate university officials, who started a long investigation
BearlySober
Great football season, great volleyball season, great MBB season (so far), great WBB season (so far)....of course we have 14 players on the baseball team suspended.
BellCountyBear
Twenty years ago this would be a non-issue. What nutty times we live in!
CTbruin
Over reaction

Freshman initiation is not hazing
CTbruin
Just go read former player reaction on Facebook
BosqueBard
Baylor does not know who did what. Some of the players suspended were actually on the being hazed side. Only Baylor would suspend a kid for being hazed.
ICT-Bear
Where on FB can we find this?
CTbruin
Well, it's not showing up now. I saw it about an hour ago

Zach Dillon made the comment I saw
BosqueBard
A player who did not make the roster told his parents about the tradition. They complained. Judicial affairs investigation ensued because the allegation was hazing. They learn a little about what but almost nothing about who. So they blanket suspend upperclassmen even those not present. Even those who were on the "being hazed" side on the night in question. AD Mack R. In turn does nothing to call out the crazy. So now players who were not even present on the night of the incident are suspended as well as some of the alleged hazed players. Legal action is possible. BU should not call an event hazing then suspend the alleged victims of the hazing.
Brownbw
Hazing is wrong and not consistent with the values we are to uphold as Christians. When i was at Baylor a young man lost his life in a fraternity hazing incident. My reaction is different i guess. I am hoping these boys learned a valuable lesson. It is not like they are kicked out of school. A two game suspension is a small punishment and i say learn and move forward.
2023 ADOPT-A-BEAR
KADEN SIERACKI #74
6’8’’ 315 RF WOODLANDS
Big boy is going to put some hurt on big 12 foes
BosqueBard
Brownbw. While I agree about the values, I don't think it's that simple. Is it right to suspend kids who were not even present? What about the "victims" who were suspended for being hazed. Would we also suspend victims of violence? Sexual assault?
Brownbw
2023 ADOPT-A-BEAR
KADEN SIERACKI #74
6’8’’ 315 RF WOODLANDS
Brownbw
I know nothing about suspension of those not involved. My comment is a general one on hazing and punishment. I am not involved in investigation, probably very few of us know the whole story and certainly not me.
2023 ADOPT-A-BEAR
KADEN SIERACKI #74
6’8’’ 315 RF WOODLANDS
CTWallace
Heard a rumor that players were forced to do a slip and slide in their underwear.

Hopefully, it's something relatively minor like that but that just sounds stupid.

Standard Internet Message Board Disclaimer - This is just a rumor I heard. Not saying it's true or not.
ICT-Bear
CTWallace said:

Heard a rumor that players were forced to do a slip and slide in their underwear.

Hopefully, it's something relatively minor like that but that just sounds stupid.

Standard Internet Message Board Disclaimer - This is just a rumor I heard. Not saying it's true or not.
This is what I keep hearing as well. Supposedly a team tradition every year in February as part of "initiation" for new freshmen players. If this is all it is, then it's more embarrassing they are getting any kind of suspension at all.
BosqueBard
When I was a freshman English major, the upperclassmen forced us to read Ginsberg's Howl in our underwear. Even today, I can barely read Ginsberg fully clothed.
STxBear81
I agree. Very lame. Almost like you need a waiver of protection once you commit to a school that initiations are part of tradition and the tradition is discussed prior to getting a scholarship or walking on. That tradition or initiation is explained and understood by parents player and coaching staff. How dumb does that sound? I believe this is overblown. There are hundreds of baseball schools in the country that have harsher traditions than this.
Pablo Fanque
Suppose that players not present and those being "hazed" refused to cooperate with the investigation, so that the university can't find out what happened. Is it still inappropriate to suspend them?
Brownbw
I heard, you heard, they heard, and my friend heard this rumor. Somefolks that love Baylor and have values like yours investigated this for 9 months. Give them a little respect please. They decided on a very small punishment. Two games at start of season that they might not even be scheduled to play. I thank these folks for their service to Baylor. Big punishment for big offences, small ones for small offenses. That is how i handled my kids didnt you?
2023 ADOPT-A-BEAR
KADEN SIERACKI #74
6’8’’ 315 RF WOODLANDS
DanaDane
Just what we need: another negative headline and black eye for the media and everyone else to feed off. Every time things die down with our image, another boneheaded move happens. Good grief. Nice going Rodriguez.
Nguyen One Soon
DanaDane said:

Just what we need: another negative headline and black eye for the media and everyone else to feed off. Every time things die down with our image, another boneheaded move happens. Good grief. Nice going Rodriguez.
This is for a "tradition" that goes back long before Coach Rod. The only difference is a player did not get invited back for this year. If it was so bad, why did he wait from February until May to report it? Of course, once reported, BU had to do something.
Brownbw
It was not so bad if it had been bad they would have been suspended from baylor university instead of 2 games
2023 ADOPT-A-BEAR
KADEN SIERACKI #74
6’8’’ 315 RF WOODLANDS
KIA
CTWallace said:

I heard that this 'tradition' was started by Coach Smith and that he borrowed it from the Aggies - but A+M's hazing also included livestock.

Smith never had the tradition approved by the Chamber or the Administration.

Same disclaimer
STxBear81
I heard baseball team been doing it for 40 years. That would be 1980 ( I know I can add!) so that would be coach Sullivan.
CNC
What BU is best at - making a mountain out of a mole hill.

If the rumors posted above are true, I have no problem with the "hazing". Heck, sounds like a summer camp activity. As long as it's not physical abuse or involving farm animals (like many think of when they hear hazing), I don't see it as a big deal. It sounds like a chance to hang out and not take yourself too seriously.

I'd have given no suspensions. If it is one player upset about not being invite back, I'd tell him intramural softball tryouts are next Thursday, and that Chi O and Kappa look really solid this year.

Until something else is released, this is a non-issue.
CHP Bear
BosqueBard said:

A player who did not make the roster told his parents about the tradition. They complained. Judicial affairs investigation ensued because the allegation was hazing. They learn a little about what but almost nothing about who. So they blanket suspend upperclassmen even those not present. Even those who were on the "being hazed" side on the night in question. AD Mack R. In turn does nothing to call out the crazy. So now players who were not even present on the night of the incident are suspended as well as some of the alleged hazed players. Legal action is possible. BU should not call an event hazing then suspend the alleged victims of the hazing.
Legal action possible? Get ready for the go-fund-me!
BluesBear
Geez. Next thing we know they will need to install private showers.

What a *****.
CastleBear
DanaDane said:

Jump to conclusions much? Please tell us exactly what happened.

BluesBear
This is why you do not initiate ANY team traditions until AFTER a teams roster is in place. What a snowflake type move - and the parents should be ashamed. Sliding down a side in your underwear is not big deal. If you had to run through a line and they were hitting you will objects - maybe a different story. Oh brother.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.