Story Poster
Baylor Baseball

Baseball Drops Sunday Game Versus WVU, 8-4

April 12, 2021

WACO, Texas – Baylor baseball was unable to complete the series sweep as West Virginia took the 8-4 win on Sunday at Baylor Ballpark. The Bears (21-11, 3-6 Big 12) led early before the Mountaineers (12-14, 4-5 Big 12) came back to secure the victory.

Newcomer Jack Pineda and second-year freshman Jared McKenzie got things started in the first with a single and double to put runners on second and third. Second-year freshman Tre Richardson and fifth-year senior Andy Thomas used back-to-back sacrifice flies to make it 2-0 in favor of the Bears.

Later in the fourth and following two walks, fourth-year junior Davion Downey roped a double to right field to score one and make it 3-0.

West Virginia started its comeback in the fifth, after tying the game up with a three-run shot. The Mountaineers put up another three-spot in the sixth to take control of the game 6-3. WVU continued to put on the pressure by scoring a run apiece in the seventh and eighth innings.

In the home-half of the eighth and down 8-3, McKenzie doubled for the second time and was brought home after an RBI-triple from Richardson to trim the deficit to 8-4. However, West Virginia used impressive defense to slow the Bears and hold on for the win.

Baylor fifth-year senior Hayden Kettler (3-2) was tabbed with the loss, while WVU starter Ben Hampton (3-0) remained undefeated in 2021.

NOTES

• Baylor is now 19-3 at Baylor Ballpark.

• BU finished its home stand at 8-1.

• The Bears are 4-4 in Sunday games.

•  McKenzie tied his career-high for the third time in his career with two doubles.

•  Richardson hit his second triple of the season and third of his career.

QUOTE FROM COACH ROD
“Hats off to their starter, he had four pitches against our guys. I’ll be honest I told our guys after the game that I think their outfield won the game for them. They went out and made some unbelievable plays in center field and in right field, left field late in the game robbed another hit. We had about four or five extra base hits that they took away from us. To their credit, that’s what it takes to win a baseball game. I’m proud of our guys for competing throughout the whole time, putting pressure on them, we just couldn’t get that hit.” 

WHAT’S NEXT
Baylor will begin its seven-game road trip with a non-conference midweek against Sam Houston on Tuesday, April 13 at 6:30 p.m. CT in Huntsville, Texas.

Tags: Baseball, Baylor
Discussion from...

Baseball Drops Sunday Game Versus WVU, 8-4

1,338 Views | 0 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by SicEm365 Staff
There are not any replies to this post yet.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.