Baseball
Sponsored by

Are we now back to being a bubble team?

3,448 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Stefano DiMera
Johnny Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm hearing the max number of teams the B12 is getting into the Tourney is 5 and we're limping into the conference tourney as a 6 seed having lost our last two series. Does this mean we're likely toast if we flop in the B12 Tourney?
MrGolfguy
I don't think its that cut & dried; the Bears still have a solid chance of being selected.
BUbackerinET
Early last week, projections were a 2-seed regardless of OU outcome, not sure that will hold, but don't think we have dropped out entirely. We need to do well in the B12 tourney, however.
Johnny Bear
BUbackerinET said:

Early last week, projections were a 2-seed regardless of OU outcome, not sure that will hold, but don't think we have dropped out entirely. We need to do well in the B12 tourney, however.

That's the real point of the question (i.e. what level of success in the B12 Tourney is now needed before we're likely to be in trouble?). I realize there are multiple factors in play including what happens with other conference tournaments and/or other bubble teams, but if we for example win at least a couple are we relatively safe in spite of everything else?
CTbruin
Our RPI has dropped to 40. 2 and Q in the tournament would put us on the bubble if not out.
SSadler
CTbruin said:

Our RPI has dropped to 40. 2 and Q in the tournament would put us on the bubble if not out.
that's why you and Cooter need to get up there and renew an old tradition of sacrificing some chicken parts!
CTbruin
I still go to games and support Baylor baseball. But not hooked up like I used to be. When "they" killed Burgers on the Berm, the Diamond Girls and shrunk HOTO, my interest waned.
BUbackerinET
I dont think we are on the bubble now. I don't think we're in trouble either way, but I think any wins in the tournament will help secure our seed.
BUBBFAN
I think we are on the bubble. Before this weekend D1 baseball had already dropped us from a 2 seed to a 3 seed in their projections.Tournament is going to be important, can't go 2 and Q. Need to win at least 2.
BellCountyBear
We don't completely suck, but we're close.
Oldbear83
We have three engines on fire ... and we only have two engines.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
SSadler
CT cites "Burgers on the Berm".

Was proud to be one of the original architects of that fine tradition.

Man, what great times.
Oldbear83
We're down 4-0 in the first game of the B XII tournament, and look like crap.

Oldbear83
The season is dead.
MrGolfguy
Not having your Ace pitcher is crushing for any team; really need to see some fight & a win against KSU? tomorrow then a much better showing after that vs TT or Tcu.
guadalupeoso
guadalupeoso
ScottS
CTbruin said:

I still go to games and support Baylor baseball. But not hooked up like I used to be. When "they" killed Burgers on the Berm, the Diamond Girls and shrunk HOTO, my interest waned.

Why were these things eliminated?
CTbruin
They ended with the firing of Steve Smith and the hiring of Coach Rod. I'm not sure who was responsible. I can only speak for HOTO. It was obvious that Rod didn't care about HOTO. I attended a couple of meetings after his hiring and he did not want to be there. Acted like he did not want to be there. Didn't want to take questions, etc. I resigned shortly thereafter.
StatMan
With the loss today, Baylor drops from #41 to #43 in the RPI. They are clearly an NCAA Tournament bubble team, and will need to wait for results from several conference baseball tournaments, then hope their name is called on Selection Monday.
CizzLark
We out
MrGolfguy
Very poor results to finish the season, if they make the field now it truly will be a gift form God.

i.e. - Stick a fork in them, they're done
william
spread the marmalade on us, grandma. we're toast.

- dave niehaus

BID.

KajunKarlsdad
Crashed and burned when it counted the most. Maybe next year.
Johnny Bear
KajunKarlsdad said:

Crashed and burned when it counted the most. Maybe next year.

Pretty much at best a Jekyll and Hyde team over the course of the season, with the Mr. Hyde side showing back up at exactly the wrong time.
SIC EM 94
Time for Baylor Baseball to step up...there is no excuse for how poorly they've finished for many years now! Is it coaching? Recruiting? Both?
CTbruin
Once again, private schools are at a big time disadvantage in partial scholarship sports. We get 11.7 ships for 40 roster spots. That means each player has to come up with about $40k a year to play.

IMO, the rules need to be changed
Johnny Bear
CTbruin said:

Once again, private schools are at a big time disadvantage in partial scholarship sports. We get 11.7 ships for 40 roster spots. That means each player has to come up with about $40k a year to play.

I don't disagree, but why is it TCU seems to be doing just fine?
Tylerbear
Johnny Bear said:

CTbruin said:

I don't disagree, but why is it TCU seems to be doing just fine?
Vanderbilt doing ok also
CTbruin
Vanderbilt probably has the endowment to offer aid available to the entire student body. That is legal.

TCU? No clue
ScottS
Can we get in?
Oldbear83
D1 has us the 5th team outside looking in right now

https://d1baseball.com/postseason/projected-field-of-64-may-28/
Johnny Bear
Oldbear83 said:

D1 has us the 5th team outside looking in right now

https://d1baseball.com/postseason/projected-field-of-64-may-28/

Ain't happening barring an out and out gift from the Committee - and how often does that sort of thing happen to a school like Baylor? Sad thing is all we probably had to do was take a home series from a struggling mediocre at best OU squad and win at least one game in the B12 Tourney and it would've most likely been a done deal.
KellerOso
What's the point of RPI? Is it a metric that matters, or not? If it does matter, it must not matter too much if we're in the 40s even after limping to the finish.

What about the streak of conference series wins, including Tech's only home series loss of the season?

If the Big 12 is, in fact, the second best league then 5 teams should get in. Logically, we should be the 5th team since we won the K-State series and OU finished below .500 at 27-28.

Definitely didn't help ourselves with the OU series loss and tourney debacle, but the full body of work should be what matters, not the last two weeks.

Not holding my breath, though.

Oldbear83
I believe the NCAA is using the Quadrant system in all major sports now, but the losses to OU and KSU are considered "bad" losses in that context. We were a bubble team by any definition and screwed the pooch.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.