Baseball
Sponsored by

Should BU have gotten in after all?

3,394 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by MrGolfguy
MrGolfguy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know how badly our season ended but after seeing that both Michigan & Alabama got in, it makes one wonder. Baylor's resume is better than both of those two. Example: Michigan's RPI is 88 (BU is 44) while Bama won only 3 conf series all year (vs the bottom 3 conf teams); Baylor won a road series vs the #8 National seed.

Discuss
Oldbear83
No. We had our chances but crapped the bed 3 straight weeks. We do not belong in the tournament.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Johnny Bear
We know there's always a double standard and as a "non-blue blood" no committee in these situations is ever going to give us the benefit of the doubt, or give us a "gift" simply based on our name. We always have to earn it. In any event, this team was in good shape to get it done going into the last conference series, which was a home series against a struggling, barely average opponent and they didn't get it done - and then promptly crashed and burned in the B12 Tourney. It's usually a splitting hairs kind of thing for the last teams that get in and the first teams that get left out. All things considered, it's hard for me to fault the committee for this.
Oldbear83
Keep in mind as well that we not only went o and 2 in the conference tournament, we were routed in both games.

There's no rational argument that we should be in. That happens, we just have to accept reality.
MrGolfguy
Despite that Baylor's resume is still better than Michigan & Alabama; so my point being BU still could/should have gotten in. Sorry you missed that in my OP.
Jack Bauer
Bring on football season!!!
MrGolfguy
As long as they can "get 6" or better
Oldbear83
MrGolfguy said:

Despite that Baylor's resume is still better than Michigan & Alabama; so my point being BU still could/should have gotten in. Sorry you missed that in my OP.

You should have watched the selection show. The NCAA rep said how teams finished was critical to their chances. RPI is not enough, never has been.
MrGolfguy
I did watch it; he basically said Alabama got in because they played a bunch of good teams
Oldbear83
MrGolfguy said:

I did watch it; he basically said Alabama got in because they played a bunch of good teams
He said what I reported, that late season results matter just as much as RPI.

Guess you only hear what you want to hear.
MrGolfguy
The in-studio analyst (former MLB player) was dumbfounded that Alabama got in, he stated it 2 or 3 times; i heard that.
Oldbear83
MrGolfguy said:

The in-studio analyst (former MLB player) was dumbfounded that Alabama got in, he stated it 2 or 3 times; i heard that.
Too bad neither of you was on the selection committee.
MrGolfguy
Too bad there's SEC bias in baseball also, not just football
DanaDane
The SEC has either won or finished runner up in every championship but one since 2010. Meanwhile, the Big 12 hasn't even sniffed the championship game in 12 years. But, yeah, there's a SEC bias in baseball.
MrGolfguy
So that's reason to stick one of their bottom feeder teams in tourney? That's comical & ridiculous.
IowaBear
He's one of those conspiracy posters believing SEC bias. Baylor has no one to blame but themselves. Lost 2/3 to UTRGV, unable to sweep poor WV/KU teams, lost 2/3 to a bad OU team. Win those and Baylor's safely in.
DanaDane
No, what's comical and ridiculous is your continual infantile bellyaching and crying over a mediocre program that didn't deserve to get in this year.
Oldbear83
DanaDane said:

No, what's comical and ridiculous is your continual infantile bellyaching and crying over a mediocre program that didn't deserve to get in this year.
Yup.

Look MrGolfGuy, I would have loved Baylor to have earned a regional bid, and they played well enough at times to give us hope. The problem is that they also were horrible enough times that we were on the bubble on month for good reason. We needed, desperately, to win at least one of our last 2 series, but could not do it. I'm not sure one win in the Big XII Tournament would have helped us by the time we got to that point, but we not only went 0 and 2, we were outscored by twelve runs in those two games.

We just didn't make the grade when it counted.
STxBear81
Iowa Bear sums it up. We peaked at wrong time. We didn't have enough starting pitching to overcome 2 SP in rotation being out all season and 2 SP being out the last 3 weeks of season (Thomas ) and last two weeks (Helton)
MrGolfguy
DanaDane said:

I posted this on 5/27- "very poor results to finish the season, if they get in now it will be a gift from God" "Stick a fork in them, they're done"

You are clueless; the whole point of this thread just soared completely over your head, which is not surprising considering your very limited intelligence.
Oldbear83
MrGolfguy said:

DanaDane said:

I posted this on 5/27- "very poor results to finish the season, if they get in now it will be a gift from God" "Stick a fork in them, they're done"

You are clueless; the whole point of this thread just soared completely over your head, which is not surprising considering your very limited intelligence.
Well, you have wrapped up the race for 'most bitter about the end of the season, and takes it out on everyone else'.
MrGolfguy
IowaBear
Don't you think it's hypocritical to call Dana clueless considering you failed to mentioned Bama has not 1 not 2 but 3 wins better then any win BU got.... by a large margin. You can sit here and pout and throw your conspiracies around. Fact is Baylor didn't deserve to be in. They crapped the bed when it mattered most. As well as losing several early season games they should have won easily
STxBear81
i count 7 games we gave away

i wonder how invested mack is in the baseball program
ScottS
We were robbed
Oldbear83
ScottS said:

We were robbed
Only by how we played the last 8 games
Wichitabear
Oldbear83 said:

No. We had our chances but crapped the bed 3 straight weeks. We do not belong in the tournament.

Maybe next year. We were not good enough in the end.
Wichitabear
DanaDane said:

The SEC has either won or finished runner up in every championship but one since 2010. Meanwhile, the Big 12 hasn't even sniffed the championship game in 12 years. But, yeah, there's a SEC bias in baseball.
I'm yelling for Texas tonight over Miss. St. I 'm tired of the SEC.
Oldbear83
Wichitabear said:

Oldbear83 said:

Maybe next year. We were not good enough in the end.
... or at the plate.
PartyBear
I thought Texas was going to blow it in the 8th. But they pulled it off. Bizarre weather delay until about 1:30 am CDT.
Oldbear83
Tough break for NC State, not being allowed to play against Vanderbilt and ending their season bc of COVID
PartyBear
DanaDane said:

Thanks to little Vandy who has been there more than any other SEC school in that time period.

I think in terms of the history of the National Title game of the CWS it is actually Texas and Southern Cal who have historically been dominant in making it to that game despite SEC success there in recent years.

As to us. I don't see a reason we can't have a top flight program. It seemed like we were at the cusp of having one at one time under Smith but then we dropped off.
Wichitabear
PartyBear said:

I thought Texas was going to blow it in the 8th. But they pulled it off. Bizarre weather delay until about 1:30 am CDT.
I fell asleep when they called the delay. I woke up this morning to make sure they held on to the lead. I don't know if they can beat em a second time but I will be yelling for them.
Wichitabear
Oldbear83 said:

Tough break for NC State, not being allowed to play against Vanderbilt and ending their season bc of COVID
The team has to be so disappointed. I feel sorry for them.
DanaDane
More proof of that SEC "bias" again tonight..

An All SEC Championship game in the CWS and total domination by that conference in college baseball for more than a decade now. But, yeah, SEC "bias."

Easily the deepest baseball conference every year.

OP and several others in this thread look like clowns, yet again.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.