Softball

2,791 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MrGolfguy
CTbruin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bears are beating the absolute snot out of cowettes today in austin.

11-3 in 7th
CTbruin
Final.

Bears 17
cowettes 3
cowach
This must be fake news! There is no way that the State University could lose big to a scrubby little church school?
MrGolfguy
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
SSadler
17 = a new UT record for most runs allowed in the history of the UT softball program.
BluesBear
Thanks for posting the link to the highlights - enjoyed the enthusiasm of the announcer each time we scored!!

UT needs to rethink the SEC move - - outside of Diving/Swim and Rowing....where do they expect to compete?

Football? Nope...
Baseball? Marginal at best
Basketball? Maybe....
Softball? Ouch..

The AD department operates like our US Gov't....Spends a whole lot of money but get nothing in return...
Iron Claw
UT softball made the tourney, BU softball made the 12-team NISC. UT was also the only team to beat OU in the regular season.

I'm no fan of the horns. I've watched the bears play softball more than the other sports combined over the last few years. I'm ready for these bruins to return to their consistent post season selves.
MrGolfguy
womensnisc.com/news/12-team-field-announced-for-2022-nisc-may-20-26
IowaBear
Softball has been declining at a pretty alarming rate. This team was a regular in the supers not long ago. Now they're playing in softballs version of the NIT. Pretty steady fall the last 5 years to the bottom of the B12
Iron Claw
I'm not advocating for Moore's departure, but if there is an opening in the next year or two I think we should look to the Oregon coach that was former OU assistant.
MrGolfguy
Won their 1st game today in the Lesser PostSeason tourney; will likely play UNLV tomorrow for a berth in the
final 4
MrGolfguy
Won their 2nd game 18-8; in the final 4 now. Will play winner of Kansas/Virginia for a berth in the Championship game
HoustonBear15
IowaBear said:

Softball has been declining at a pretty alarming rate. This team was a regular in the supers not long ago. Now they're playing in softballs version of the NIT. Pretty steady fall the last 5 years to the bottom of the B12

2017: 48-15, (13-5) WCWS
2018: 38-18, (12-6) Texas A&M Regional
2019: 18-31, (2-16), NA
2020: 19-5, COVID
2021: 27-23, (8-9) Florida Regional
2022: 30-24, (6-13) NISC

I would say Coach Moore still has at least another season or two. He took us to the WCWS just 5 seasons ago and then battled in a tough regional the very next season. The 2019 season was a down one, but the team was without Kyla Walker, one of the best players in BU history, and starting OF Maddison Kettler due to injury. They bounced back strong in 2020, and were on track for a very solid season until COVID hit. 2021 was an up and down season, but was affected by another injury to Kettler and an injury to starter Nicky Dawson. 2022 was the first real off year that wasn't impacted by prominent injuries, though there were some throughout the year. A young team, that lost an experienced Lou Gilbert right before the season started.

Since 2011, Baylor has only missed the post season twice (2019, 2022), with 3 trips to the WCWS in that span. The recruiting seems to have dropped off a bit, especially in the circle. Also keep in mind that they lost their longtime hitting coach in Mark Lumley during this span as well. If Moore can use the transfer portal to his advantage a little more, he may have the pieces to put together a better season next year but if not, I'm sure there are conversations being had about expectations.
MrGolfguy
Come from behind 7th inning rally as the Bears beat KU 5-4 to take a spot in the Championship game tomorrow vs UNLV
MrGolfguy
Championship game
Bears lead 2-0 in the 4th
MrGolfguy
Bears push the lead to 4-0 middle 5th
Binford pitching great thru 4; nailing them down so far
MrGolfguy
Binford has allowed 1 hit & recorded 7 K's thru 5 innings

MrGolfguy
BEARS WIN!!! BEARS WIN!!! 4-0
Binford gets 9 K's, just 2 hits
MrGolfguy
Championship game highlights

Walker22
Any thoughts on the fact that the hitting coach hired is a baseball guy? That right there showed what the AD thought of the program. Don't get me wrong I like Hoot. He is a standard in athletics for the Bears, but he is not a softball hitting coach.
IowaBear
Interesting hire for sure. What I think is hurting the Bears is the offensive philosophy is becoming outdated. Moore has long been a proponent of small ball. That worked for the Bears for a good decade while we enjoyed the WS runs. Softball seems to be trending towards power hitting. More and more teams are full of HR hitters and XBH machines. BU is not. We have no pure power hitters in the lineup. We're simply relying on multiple hits per inning to score runs, the recruiting has slipped up big time as well
Walker22
Agreed. Both softball and baseball at Baylor need to get into the 21st century. Power hitting is where it is at at all levels.
Jack Bauer
Softball Final Four - has 3 Big12 teams.

OU vs. UCLA
Ok State vs. Texas
PartyBear
And now down to the final 2. Texas v OU.
Jack Bauer
Holy moly - OU destroys Texas 16-1 in Game of the WCWS Finals.

beardoc
It was over after the first inning. did not realize there is no run-rule in the championship game. UT's spring sports roll just ended, hate that OU won tho.
setshot
The second game of the two out of three series occurs this evening. OU has a powerhouse program. Jocelyn Alo is a Hawaiian girl, and I am not sure that I have seen a better hitter in the women's game. She hits for a ridiculously high average, and her home run power is the best we have seen. This is a lineup with no weaknesses and they defend well.

The transfer from North Texas (by way of Pfugerville) has been an asset on the mound. Her parents graduated from Texas, and she grew up a Longhorn fan, but they did not recruit her until she hit the Portal, and by that time she was OU bound. OU has used the Portal to good effect in all their sports programs. I grew up in softball country and enjoy seeing the women play at such a high level. The Big 12 is the strongest conference in the sport right now, though the pendulum swings in that regard, with the Pac 12 and the SEC normally up there with our conference. Baylor has a lot in place to compete, but without outstanding work from the mound we will continue to struggle. It is a pitcher's game.
blackie
setshot said:

It is a pitcher's game.
Without a doubt. I coached competitive softball for 25 years at the 12U - 18U levels There was a saying that held true. Because of the less wear on the arm compared to baseball, two pitchers are not enough, but three are too many. Meaning that the third pitcher is always looking for another team. Kind of like having 3 really good QBs. Someone is not going to be satisfied with mop-up duty. Problem is if injuries occur and you only have two good ones as BU has had several years, you end up in a hole. Only the truly elite teams get away with it because there are always some good players that are willing to sit for a ring.

Bottom line....if you don't have a pitcher, you don't have a team in this sport. Great hitters can be negated enough by a great pitching performance, to have their team loose. OU has got both. Several times in BU's recent history those WCWS runs were benefited because of a really good BU pitcher have a truly career game against a team that we probably should have not beaten.

One last note. I don't think the effect of the loss of Mark Lumley to the team can be over estimated. I got to know both he and Coach Moore well when they first arrived at Baylor, meeting them at summer 18U tournaments when they were recruiting. I think the way Mark was lost was devastating to both the players and Coach Moore that had a lasting and lingering effect.
StatMan
Overall, a down year for Baylor Softball, but only losing 2 seniors, so the 2023 team will be more experienced. The challenge in Big XII Conference play will be trying to finish either 2nd or 3rd in the league standings. Glenn Moore and his coaching staff will have this program trending up the next few years.
MrGolfguy
StatMan said:

The challenge in Big XII Conference play will be trying to finish either 2nd or 3rd in the league standings.
The top 3 in conference made the World Series with OU continuing to dominate the sport; cracking that top 3 is a lot easier said than done.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.