FIFA World Cup

2,434 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bubbadog
quash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
With the US out I was going to pick a fallback based on family history. The Muggas of Holland won't be going either, nor the Turrentines of Italy so no Hoops or Azzurri. The Irish Collas took a lap through either England or Wales which leaves only England. Is Wayne Rooney still a thing?

Girlfriend spent two years in Germany and I'd like to encourage her to watch but then she'll be cheering for the favorite. Could just cheer for everybody playing against Russia and Iran.

So who are y'all pulling for?
trey3216
I'll be interested to see what Mo Salah can do with Egypt. Dude is playing at an unbelievable level right now. So I'll be cheering on the Sphinx, and then see what happens from there. No USA, no Italy, no watching ancient Arjen Robben still put 5-7 in the net somehow, I'm horrified.
quash
Some really good games so far, esp Mex-Ger.
sahen
Statman would be proud of this thread

Russia has destroyed both of their foes
Iran won on an own goal against Morroco (we will see what happens today with Spain)
Salah couldn't play in the first game and got a goal in the game today, but Egypt is already eliminated with one left to play...

Who else are yall rooting for or against? I might head up to Vegas.
quash
If there is an own goal side bet make a bunch of them.
Chappers_Bear08
Dad's from England so been a fan of the three Lions since I was born, I'll be rooting for this new crop of English Players with harry Kane leading the way!

Been one of the best opening rounds of a tournament I've seen (I've watched every world cup since 94 in depth - over 75% of games) unfortunately with the US out and the difficult kick off times due to it being in Russia has made the interest in the States below par.

Most fun team to root for: Iceland/Australia
Darkhorse to win: Belgium
Surprise team to make Semis: Mexico
Winners: France
Who I want to win: England

bubbadog
quash said:

Some really good games so far, esp Mex-Ger.
If Mexico's coach is to be believed, they totally game-planned Germany. They had noticed that the Germans pushed their defenders pretty far upfield when they had the ball on the other end. The Mexicans figured they had the speed to beat them back down if they could win the ball, and they did.

Very happy for Mexico.
MrGolfguy
bubbadog said:

Very happy for Mexico.
Agree

VIVA MEXICO !!!!
quash
France.
Uruguay.

That was fun.
quash
And Spain just completed another hundred passes
bubbadog
quash said:

And Spain just completed another hundred passes
Would've been more without all the Russian fouling.
bularry
England v France final to settle 100 years war and Brexit!
bularry
France did their part. Excellent match today

England has to do their part tomorrow
quash
"It's coming home."

And hey Belgium, defend the ****ing post.
bubbadog
NYT sports section had an interesting article today about the evolution of English fan identity. Back in 1966, when they won their first and only World Cup (on home soil), all the fans displayed the Union Jack. But there is no union anymore when Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland have their own national teams, which is why the fans now all fly the original flag of England, white with the red cross. Worth a read.

Also, just imagine how good England would be if they had Gareth Bale and the pick of the best players from Northern Ireland and Scotland. They're playing with 3 arms tied behind their back.
quash
Duke of Wellington going to no-show Waterloo 2
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
quash
bubbadog
quash said:

Duke of Wellington going to no-show Waterloo 2
If he was going to show up, it would've had to involve Belgium, too.
bularry
bubbadog said:

NYT sports section had an interesting article today about the evolution of English fan identity. Back in 1966, when they won their first and only World Cup (on home soil), all the fans displayed the Union Jack. But there is no union anymore when Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland have their own national teams, which is why the fans now all fly the original flag of England, white with the red cross. Worth a read.

Also, just imagine how good England would be if they had Gareth Bale and the pick of the best players from Northern Ireland and Scotland. They're playing with 3 arms tied behind their back.
this English side wouldn't have been helped by Scotland or Northern Ireland. Sure, Bale is a good addition.

Midfield just didn't get it done.

Congrats to France, an emerging world power in soccer. Can't wait for Euros in 2 years to see how Germany responds and what the Spanish side looks like.
quash
Listening to an Okie radio station, DJ doing his World Cup duty. Mispronounces Croatia twice. Two different ways: Cryosha and Cro-oasha.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Chappers_Bear08
Chappers_Bear08 said:

Dad's from England so been a fan of the three Lions since I was born, I'll be rooting for this new crop of English Players with harry Kane leading the way!

Been one of the best opening rounds of a tournament I've seen (I've watched every world cup since 94 in depth - over 75% of games) unfortunately with the US out and the difficult kick off times due to it being in Russia has made the interest in the States below par.

Most fun team to root for: Iceland/Australia
Darkhorse to win: Belgium
Surprise team to make Semis: Mexico
Winners: France
Who I want to win: England

I mean I think I did ok in this respect.
Amelia
This World Cup is full of surprises yet so exciting!
bubbadog
quash said:

Listening to an Okie radio station, DJ doing his World Cup duty. Mispronounces Croatia twice. Two different ways: Cryosha and Cro-oasha.
One of my friends thought Croatia was the territory Russia took from Ukraine. But he did pronounce it right.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.