NCAA T&F TV Schedule June 6-9

4,223 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Mitch Blood Green
GarlandBear84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
WED espn2 6:30-10
THU espn2 6-9:30
FRI espn 7:30-10
SAT espn 6-8:30
Lots more on ESPN3.
GarlandBear84

How about these highlights of the 1962 HJ? This was before my time, but setshot and Pale Rider will remember. These jumpers wish Dick Fosbury came along earlier.
Malbec
GarlandBear84 said:

How about these highlights of the 1962 HJ? This was before my time, but setshot and Pale Rider will remember. These jumpers wish Dick Fosbury came along earlier.
Mighty cool.
setshot
The old Western Roll...yes, indeed..
The first time I saw Dick Fosbury was at the Modesto Relays, a major meet back in the 1960s. I could not believe what I was seeing, but it actually made a lot of sense in terms of efficiency.

Two great Bay Area high jumpers back in the Fifties were Bill Russell and Johnny Mathis. Both were pretty good basketball players, as well, though Russell was a tad better than Mathis. Bill was thought at the time to have Olympic qualilty in the high jump. At 6'10", with a great wingspan, and great speed and leaping ability, he was a superior athlete, and until Wilt Chamberlain entered the NBA, Russell was far and away the most athletic big man in the league. He was quite possibly the smartest basketball player I have ever seen, though Larry Bird and now LeBron James are in the conversation. It is always difficult to determine such a thing or quantify it.
Malbec
I remember my dad telling me that Mathis was a pretty decent hurdler in his time too. Even though he grew up in San Francisco, he was born in Gilmer, TX. He qualified for the Trials in the HJ in '56, but skipped them to record in NYC. I know they used to have the Johnny Mathis Invitational at SF State, but I'm not sure if they still do since they dropped the men's program.
GarlandBear84
If any of you recorded the meet to watch later, you'll be pissed. Espn decided to switch the meet from espn2 to espn after the first hour. Originally they planned to show NCAA baseball on espn, but ran out of games to show. It looks like a replay will run at 11, so I'm going to record that to catch what I missed.
GarlandBear84
Max Willis ran 21.14 for last place in his heat. That's far from what he is capable of. He had the worst lane (1) and was in a loaded heat.
GarlandBear84
In the 4x4 the first heat was loaded with three teams that ran 3:01. Our heat two proved to be the slowest. Hurdler Antwan Musgrove put us in a huge hole in Next-to-last and way back. Trey Fields ran a good second leg as the field compressed, but only moved up one place I think. Then Caleb Dickson moved up at first, but handed off to the great Wil London in sixth and about 30 meters behind first. Until the homestretch the TV camera didn't even show him and the announcers didn't mention him until he blew past everyone except the winner and came within one hundredth of a second. Thanks to Wil and our top-two finish we automatically qualified for the final!
BCS Bear
4x4 qualifies by a couple of thousands of a second thanks to another great anchor leg coming from 6th to 2nd in the slow heat.
BCS Bear
Anyone catch Wil's Split?
GarlandBear84
Had to be 43 or low 44.
GarlandBear84
I'm thrilled we made it, but I doubt our time would've made it almost any other year. We were very fortunate to be in heat two.
BellCountyBear
I don't follow T&F that closely, but didn't Baylor used to have better teams than this?
GarlandBear84
Wil ran 44.98 in his heat for third place and ended up with the final qualifying spot in the final. Michael Norman who is favored to win said it'll take below 44 to win. Wil needs to run much faster just to get in the top three.
GarlandBear84
Yes, but at least our men will score in two events whereas last year we were shut out.
GarlandBear84

Here's an interview of Wil afterwards.
Pale Rider
GarlandBear84 said:

My first ever field event was the High Jump. I still think the Western role is the most efficient way to do it.

And yes, we landed on sawdust.
BCS Bear
https://www.facebook.com/olympics/videos/10156538040499216/

Just saw this....pole vaulting into a sand pit.
setshot
When I was ten years old I built my own vaulting pit in the backyard, sand and all. Shortly thereafter I did not plant the pole correctly in the indentation I had dug and broke my left arm just above the wrist. That ended my very promising career as a vaulter, but I always had a great affection for the event.
Malbec
GarlandBear84 said:

Had to be 43 or low 44.
44.97, next fastest split in the heat (32 legs) was 46.29.
Malbec
BTW, in the M4X100, it took 39.05 to make the final and 38.92 just to qualify on time. Northwestern State (LA) made the final with their 38.92, Southern Miss ran 38.91 to qualify and Western Kentucky made it in 38.94. TCU ran their fastest time of the year (39.36) and ended up 11th. Holy Hot Rod Batman!
Malbec
BU women about to run the W4X100. They will need to run in the top 2, or faster than 43.35 to make the final.

Their season best is 43.90.
Malbec
Lady Bears run 43.92 to get 5th in the heat and do not qualify. Texas and the rest of the B12 miss out also, and SEC takes 5 of the 8 qualifying spots. LSU broke the meet record with their 42.09 (Old record was 42.36 by A&M).
GarlandBear84
I'm nearly two hours behind on the recording, but saw the relay. I didn't notice Taylor Bennett who is our fastest. Can't conplain about nearly running your season's best.
Malbec
Taylor ran 23.11 in the W200, 17th best.
Malbec
Lady Bears run a very up and down 4X400, but get up for 2nd in their loaded heat behind USC, but ahead of LSU and run 3:30.03, a season-best and qualify for the finals. Texas got 7th in 3:37.45.
GarlandBear84
Aaliyah Miller ran 2:08 which might be her slowest time of the year and needed to run near her PR of 2:02. I can't imagine what happened as they didn't get out too fast with the first lap of 61 being the slowest of the heats.
GarlandBear84
Kiana Hawn ran 58.65 for fifth in her heat. She only ran better once or twice this season.

I've got to complain and whoever is directing the cameras. I understand that Sydney McGlaughlin is a camera-magnet as it is hard to keep your eyes off her, but to keep the camera on her for 1-2 minutes after the race and not even show who got the All-important second place in the heat is ridiculous. The announcers didn't even tell us who got second for a long time.
GarlandBear84
Not bad, but she can do better. Lane 8 is tough, but knowing she needed 22.7 to qualify what was she doing in last place coming off the curve halfway thru the race? She should've burned that curve and hope to hold on.
Malbec
GarlandBear84 said:

Aaliyah Miller ran 2:08 which might be her slowest time of the year and needed to run near her PR of 2:02. I can't imagine what happened as they didn't get out too fast with the first lap of 61 being the slowest of the heats.
Miller didn't get out on the exchange in the 4X400 and let USC pass her through the zone even though we touched off ahead. She ran 52.49, but looked "off" to me.
GarlandBear84
I noticed that though the camera work didn't help. It looked like Miller took the stick in first then the camera showed 20 meters later and she had been passed. Bennett and Horton finished their legs very strongly. Great job by our foursome!
GarlandBear84
Tonight begins at 7:30 and we have Wil in the 400 final and then the relay will conclude the men's meet. I'd like to see ten combined points.
Malbec
GarlandBear84 said:

Tonight begins at 7:30 and we have Wil in the 400 final and then the relay will conclude the men's meet. I'd like to see ten combined points.
10 won't be enough to catch Akron, but it's better than last year. Oh, I'm so depressed.
Pale Rider
Days gone by. We need to improve, big time.
GarlandBear84
The Houston Cougars obliterated the field in the 4x1 on a wet track with a steady rain to break the NCAA record held by TCU since 1988! It's hard to believe a 38.17 in the rain.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.