On the Passing of Ray Stoker Jr

881 Views | 0 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Chibears2
jumpinjoe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My brother asked that I post this on the message boards for him since he has not been a part of our fan community. Jumpinjoe.

I am saddened to hear of the passing of Ray Stoker, Jr. My heart goes out to Carol and her family. May God's peace comfort you.

Ray was my teammate, and leader of one of the greatest teams in Baylor sports history (obviously biased). Our finish in the 1961 NCAA tournament in Colorado Springs has stood as a Baylor record for 54 years. The record was broken a couple of years ago by another outstanding Baylor Golf team.

We are proud of our achievements and I was very fortunate to have played with some fantastic and gifted individuals. Ray was a natural leader and the unofficial quarterback and captain of our teams. He constantly encouraged me and, when necessary and frequently, kicked my butt. Ray & I were simply two dry land West Texas golfers brought together through a love for Baylor and a desire to achieve/win. My memories of him and my teammates are flowing today.

My time at Baylor was clearly enriched by being part of the life of my teammates, especially Ray, Bruce Bangert and Johnny Arreaga. Bruce was my doubles partner and we are very proud of going undefeated in match play during the 1961 play.

With the passing of Ray, our 1961 NCAA team is almost gone. Coach Odis Beck, Ray, Johnny, and Don Prigmore have passed. Bruce is still with us. I've lost track of Tom Langston and Randy Meeks.

In Ray, Baylor and Baylor Golf lost a great friend and ambassador. RIP, my friend.

Adair Ratliff
Baylor '62
Joined BaylorFans in 1999 under username jumpinjoe. Have always been Jumpinjoe. Proud 4 Year Baylor letterman and 1968 graduate and charter member of Quartermiler U, produced school record in 400 IH.
Chibears2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Heartfelt sentiments that honor his teammates' memories. Your brother does the team, himself and Baylor proud. Respect.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.