Softball without Rodoni and Walker.

885 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by setshot
longtimebear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Disappointed is the best description I have for this new season of softball. Gia and Kyla will be heavily missed this season but hopes will certainly be high next season if, God willing, the two ladies can come back safe and sound.

Ready to go for this season I subscribed to FloSports just to watch the first two games of this new season and though I'll spare my opinion of FloSports (for another day) , I'll would like to share my unprofessional opinion of the 2019 Lady Bears softball team I watched in action thursday. Plainly...it was a typical opening day, I think.

The Good:
Sydney Holman was a bright spot as she seemed to pitch with confidence. She has great potential. Stayed around the plate for the most part and kept the Gamecocks guessing.

Reliever, little 5 foot 5 inch freshman Madison Lindsey is a Spitfire of a pitcher that was somewhat impressive in her debut. I say somewhat because, for my money, she's way to quick between her pitches to the plate....she almost seemed to not wait on the catchers signals and just let it go. Certainly, the batter had better be ready.

The Bad:

Poor Reagan Green, she's either on her game or off. Yesterday she was off against BYU. Her pitches were all over the place. Coach Moore had to pull her early.

Goose McGlaun seemed to just take up a space in the batting order for both games. NO, she never struck out
or never looked bad swinging at pitches......that just it ! She hardly swung at pitches at all yesterday. I quit counting the number of walks she took. I expect more from this Junior. Her power at the plate needs to be utilized and I thought too often yesterday she came up to the plate, with ducks on the pond, and just waited for one single pitch she never got. Sure would like to see some aggression from her.

And Taylor Ellis.....bless her heart, still struggles at the plate at times. Though she had a critical sac fly in game one, she definitely has the plate aggression I like, but just can't seem to string hits together.

The Ugly:

Nothing was ugly really, just a typical first day for the Freshman that played and spreading of the new wings they have to get used to. All in all, this team may struggle a bit till things can get better. I'm optimistic.
HoustonBear15
longtimebear said:

Disappointed is the best description I have for this new season of softball. Gia and Kyla will be heavily missed this season but hopes will certainly be high next season if, God willing, the two ladies can come back safe and sound.

Ready to go for this season I subscribed to FloSports just to watch the first two games of this new season and though I'll spare my opinion of FloSports (for another day) , I'll would like to share my unprofessional opinion of the 2019 Lady Bears softball team I watched in action thursday. Plainly...it was a typical opening day, I think.

The Good:
Sydney Holman was a bright spot as she seemed to pitch with confidence. She has great potential. Stayed around the plate for the most part and kept the Gamecocks guessing.

Reliever, little 5 foot 5 inch freshman Madison Lindsey is a Spitfire of a pitcher that was somewhat impressive in her debut. I say somewhat because, for my money, she's way to quick between her pitches to the plate....she almost seemed to not wait on the catchers signals and just let it go. Certainly, the batter had better be ready.

The Bad:

Poor Reagan Green, she's either on her game or off. Yesterday she was off against BYU. Her pitches were all over the place. Coach Moore had to pull her early.

Goose McGlaun seemed to just take up a space in the batting order for both games. NO, she never struck out
or never looked bad swinging at pitches......that just it ! She hardly swung at pitches at all yesterday. I quit counting the number of walks she took. I expect more from this Junior. Her power at the plate needs to be utilized and I thought too often yesterday she came up to the plate, with ducks on the pond, and just waited for one single pitch she never got. Sure would like to see some aggression from her.

And Taylor Ellis.....bless her heart, still struggles at the plate at times. Though she had a critical sac fly in game one, she definitely has the plate aggression I like, but just can't seem to string hits together.

The Ugly:

Nothing was ugly really, just a typical first day for the Freshman that played and spreading of the new wings they have to get used to. All in all, this team may struggle a bit till things can get better. I'm optimistic.
I agree with just about everything you had to say except for the statement about Goose. She is the known power hitter on the squad so she won't be getting a lot of good pitches to swing at. Her walk numbers will probably be up and that's not a bad thing.
setshot
Thanks to both of you, Houston and longtime, for your comments on the softball team.

Growing up in a navy town during WW II, I saw the game played at the highest possible level, and played it myself for many years. It watched some fine women's teams back in that era, as well. To see Baylor play in such a beautiful setting and with a program of such quality is especially meaningful to me.

This year will be a test for Coach Moore, because the game is to oriented to pitching and he has arguably his two best sitting it out. The younger ones will have an opportunity to gain experience and improve their game, but the entire lineup now has to raise the performance level a notch or two. That makes for an interesting, even fascinating season for those of us who follow the game and root for those playing it.

The adjustments that Moore will have to make will be even more critical, and how defeats that otherwise might well have been victories will have some impact on the team, and how they handle that will go a long way to determine the outcome of the season. I had expected a very fine season for this year's version of the Lady Bear softball team, and they still may have a good one. I am excited at the prospect of seeing how they respond to this challenge.

Keep the information and the commentary coming, longtime and Houston, and any others who will come on board with this journey.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.