Jimmy Walker 2020 season

13,398 Views | 283 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by MrGolfguy
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jimmy is teeing it up at the Greenbrier tomorrow in West Virginia. He has a 7:45 tee time. He's coming in with 100/1 odds. Jimmy has been in the Top 5 three times in 7 starts there since 2010.

Here's hoping he has a nice start to this season. Sic'em Jimmy!
boognish_bear
Jimmy off to a fast start this morning he's -3 through 7 holes and tied for 3rd. Hopefully he can stay hot.
MrGolfguy
1 hole to go, Jimmy is at -4 (2 behind leaders at -6).
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
CTbruin
Finished-5.

Nice opening round.
MrGolfguy
Tied 2nd place currently, leader shot -8
Booray
Very nice. Hopefully a sign of things to come.
boognish_bear
Kind of a wild round....he got it to -4 on the front...and the had some bogeys to drop back to -1....then rallied to finish -5 and put himself right in the thick of it.

Nice recovery
GarlandBear84
Three bogeys yet -5.
boognish_bear
Jimmy is just now teeing off on his second round. The leader stands at -12 right now.

Hopefully Jimmy has another good day.
GarlandBear84
Thru 8 he's fallen way back with two bogeys and no birdies.
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
Jimmy is sitting at -2 with two holes to go and the cut is projected at -4
boognish_bear
GarlandBear84
74 today. Yikes.
MrGolfguy
Out of the blue bad round today, this is a course that Jimmy has had good success on in the recent past. Scratching my head after his +4 round today.
boognish_bear
Jimmy is +1 after round one and in 109th place. He's going to need to catch fire in the second rd
MrGolfguy
Jimmy shot two 73's and missed the cut by 5 shots.
boognish_bear
Not sure what happened....but JW has withdrawn from the Safeway Open.

Check out Romo putting himself in position to make a cut

boognish_bear
Anyone know if JW is hurt or something? Hasn't been in the last few tournaments. Maybe just taking some time off....
boognish_bear
JW was recently inducted to the Texas Golf Hall of Fame. In this article he makes it sound like he's taking a break until the Sony.

Looks like he might be coming to the UT game on Saturday.

https://www.wacotrib.com/sports/college/baylor/baylor-ex-jimmy-walker-inducted-into-texas-golf-hall-of/article_6f2cc2c1-7411-5613-b597-3ebe1918387e.html

Jimmy Walker, with 45 career top 10 finishes on the PGA Tour, including six victories, was inducted into the Texas Golf Hall of Fame.
Associated Press Charles Krupa

SAN ANTONIO Former Baylor All-America Golfer Jimmy Walker was inducted into the Texas Golf Hall of Fame Monday, the first BU golfer ever so honored, but said while he has struggled with Lyme Disease over the last two years, he has put his time away from golf to good use.
"Man, Baylor football has been fun to watch on TV this year," Walker said before the afternoon induction ceremony at historic Brackenridge Park Golf Course, Texas' first public golf course.
Walker has had the illness since winning the PGA Championship in 2016, his first major championship and the only BU golfer to win one of golf's four majors. While the illness has affected his play, Walker said he is looking to a career renewal in 2020 as he feels as healthy as he has in years.

"This is a nice honor to be recognized by your home state for golf, along with being recognized by Baylor University for their athletic hall of fame, but I have really done it all in my career," he said.
"I've got my (PGA Tour) card, I've lost my card, I've won at every level, I've played Ryder Cup, President's Cup, made big putts, won big events. I was ranked as high at 9th in the world and at age 40, I still want to do it again."
With most of the major golf tournaments over for the year and Walker not qualified for the season-ending President's Cup in Australia, he said he hasn't missed many BU football wins via TV, including every second of the thrilling double OT homecoming win over Texas Tech last weekend.
"I haven't been back to campus yet, but we're talking about coming back for the Baylor-Texas game if we can work it out. When I was there, beating Texas in football always made it a good year."
Walker recently started with a new golf teacher Matt Killen, who has worked with Tiger Woods, Justin Thomas and J.B. Holmes among others, to get ready for the 2020 season and has stayed in close contact with Baylor golf coach Mike McGraw.
"We text a lot back and forth and I keep up to date on the program. They have a lot of good players now and that leads to good results. They just need to finish it out at the end. I'm sure college golf has changed a lot since I was there."
Among the changes he has yet to see is the new and modern Billy Williams golf practice center on campus, possible another side trip during the Baylor-Texas weekend.

Judging by on-course performances, 2019 was his worst PGA Tour performance in more than a decade with lows in top ten finishes (zero) and top 25 finishes (three), his lowest numbers since 2008.
"Everything happens for a reason; I really believe that. I got sick right after I won the PGA Championship, but that gave me a five-year exemption. If I hadn't done that, I might be out of a job right now," Walker said.

"Golf beat me up pretty good last year and the end of 2018, so I'm taking it easy now, working with Matt, resting and getting healthy. I may not play anymore this fall, but I will be ready to play in Sony (Hawaii) and all the West Coast tournaments I love in the winter and go from there."

Walker is the 40th Texas PGA Tour player to be inducted into the TGHOF located at Brackenridge Park and the 11th PGA Championship winner, by far the most of any major golf championship.
"I know I can get back because I've done it before. I've been on a real strict diet and I've lost 10-20 pounds and I've added it back with muscle," he added.
Walker said he will likely watch some of the President's Cup this winter from Australia on TV, but a big motivation for his renewed game would be to return to the U.S. Ryder Cup team next fall at Whistling Straits Golf Resort, in Kohler, Wisconsin.
He attended Rickie Fowler's wedding recently and was reunited with many of his previous President's Cup and Ryder Cup teammates, further fueling his competitive desire.
"I've played in two Ryder Cup teams and one President's Cup and I love the team game. I've played some really good golf in the past and that's what I know I can do again. I'm taking is easy for now, but that's a huge goal of mine."
Besides there is plenty of Baylor football to watch.
MrGolfguy
Good read, thanks for posting
GarlandBear84
Good to hear he feels better and is connected with our golf program.
boognish_bear
Jimmy tees it up tomorrow at the Sony in Hawaii! He won this tourney back to back in 2014/2015.

Odds on Jimmy are 150/1
MrGolfguy
Very early on day 1 so far, but Jimmy shot even par 70 today and is currently T15th. He'll fall considerably as the day goes on, however.
boognish_bear
Morikawa played great and is in first place at -5.

But after that it's a slew of players at -2 and -1 as the morning group is finishing.

Jimmy may not drop too far back....the wind is rough today

boognish_bear
boognish_bear
R1 almost complete....a handful of players didn't finish because of darkness. Morikawa still in the lead at -5.

JW tied for 31sr at even now.
boognish_bear
JW is -1 on his round through 11 holes and -1 for the tourney. The 2 current leaders are at -6.

The cut score sits at +2.

I think if Jimmy can get it to -2 he will still have himself well positioned headed to the weekend
MrGolfguy
Jimmy shoots +1 (71) today; drops to T54th with his 1 over total thru 2 rounds.
boognish_bear
Looks like he's got a new putter....happy to see him make the cut after his time off
MrGolfguy
Jimmy ended up making the cut on the number at +1 (T57th). He'll be in the final group going off #10 today at 5pm Waco time.
boognish_bear
MrGolfguy said:

Jimmy ended up making the cut on the number at +1 (T57th). He'll be in the final group going off #10 today at 5pm Waco time.

Why do they have guys starting on the backside? Are they expecting bad weather?
MrGolfguy
Not sure, they are playing in 3somes and going off both nines. Has to be weather related i guess (only 66 guys made the cut).
MrGolfguy
Jimmy shoots a good 3 under (67) today, jumping all the way up to T30th at -2 overall. The leader is running away a bit at -12, 3 shots ahead of 2nd (-9).
boognish_bear
MrGolfguy said:

Jimmy shoots a good 3 under (67) today, jumping all the way up to T30th at -2 overall. The leader is running away a bit at -12, 3 shots ahead of 2nd (-9).

That's got to be a confidence builder for Jimmy. Would love to see him get a top 20 finish tomorrow.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.