Story Poster
Baylor Volleyball

No. 6 Volleyball Rolls Over Texas State, 3-0

March 11, 2021

SAN MARCOS, Texas – No. 6 Baylor volleyball cruised to a 3-0 victory Wednesday evening at Texas State, 25-20, 25-18, 25-19.

Hannah Sedwick propelled the offense to a .398 efficiency, collecting 45 assists and spreading the ball around as four Bears reached double digits in kills.

Baylor (16-4) bounced back after last week’s loss at No. 2 Texas, improving its record to 3-1 in matches following a loss, while the Bobcats (27-6) fell for the third match in a row.

BU hit .350 in the first set, jumping out to 4-1, 10-6 and 15-9 leads. Preslie Anderson and Kara McGhee combined for eight kills in the set on 13 swings out of the middle. Sedwick found the floor with a sneaky kill at 24-19 before Yossiana Pressley picked up her fifth putaway of the set, giving the Bears a 1-0 match lead.

In the second frame, BU fell behind 4-1 and 8-5, but scratched back to even the score at 11-11 following a Bobcat attack error. That sparked an eight-point run by the Bears, swelling the lead behind Shanel Bramschreiber’s service run. Kills by Marieke van der Mark and McGhee paved the way for three-consecutive Lauren Harrison smashes that ended the set and sent the match to the third with Baylor leading 2-0.

The two sides traded points for the majority of the third set with a whopping 14 tie scores, but BU hit a massive .515 in the frame and pulled away late. Pressley’s kill at 18-16 gave Baylor all it needed, as the Bobcats were never within two points again. An Anderson kill put the exclamation point on the contest, sending BU home with its 11th sweep of the season.

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor volleyball, follow the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: @BaylorVBall.

HIGHLIGHTS

• BU is now 3-1 this year in matches following a loss.
• Baylor collected its 11th sweep of the season.

• Baylor hit .398 in the match, it’s fifth-highest output of the 2020-21 campaign.

• Hannah Sedwick collected a season-high 45 assists in the three-set victory.

• Four Bears recorded double-digit kills in Yossiana Pressley (14), Lauren Harrison (11), Marieke van der Mark (11) and Kara McGhee (10).
• It was Pressley’s 19th double-digit outing of the season, Harrison’s 12th, van der Mark’s ninth and McGhee’s sixth.
• Shanel Bramschreiber tallied 15 digs, her 16th match in double figures this season.

STAT OF THE MATCH
45 – Hannah Sedwick’s assist total, a season-high.

TOP QUOTES

Head coach Ryan McGuyre

On tonight’s match…
“Great offensive performance for sure tonight. I feel like it’s been a long time to have four people with double-digit kills in a three-set sweep. I thought Hannah [Sedwick] did a good job running the show, that’s something that’s been missing for us a little bit this year. I really appreciated Shanel [Bramschreiber]’s maturity, great job from the service line and also digging. I thought whenever the game got a little close, our tough serves were able to break some things open and create a little space.”

On Sedwick’s performance…

“I think because she connected with the middles early, that’s the run game in football which makes the play action pass good, so it just opens up all the other hitters so much more rather than trying to force it when it’s not there. I loved that they were able to dial in.”

Senior Hannah Sedwick

On running the offense tonight…
“I feel like the team was just playing great, we had great synergy and we were very cohesive. I think that the passers were digging well and they made it really easy for me. The hitters were just awesome, it didn’t matter how I set them they were going to be aggressive and smart, use their shots and hit hard. All credit to the hitters and passers because they are amazing. The communication tonight was great.”

Sophomore Kara McGhee

On the connection with Sedwick in the middle…
“I think it was good to see the middles connect, finding a set that we both [McGhee and Preslie Anderson] felt confident in. It was obviously exciting and created momentum throughout the match. Continuing to work on the connection between the setters and all hitters, and just finding joy in playing volleyball is huge for us.”

WHAT'S NEXT
No. 6 Baylor (16-4) heads north to Denton to rematch with North Texas (6-9) on Friday, March 12, at 6 p.m. CT.

Discussion from...

No. 6 Volleyball Rolls Over Texas State, 3-0

1,376 Views | 0 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SicEm365 Staff
There are not any replies to this post yet.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.