"Mostly peaceful" protester/tourist sentenced to 5 years for visiting the Capitol

24,100 Views | 443 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Oldbear83
Osodecentx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Fla. man sentenced to 5 years for attacking police, the longest Jan. 6 riot sentence yet
Robert S. Palmer watched and cheered rioters, then joined front of mob and hurled fire extinguisher, plank and long pole at police.
A man who watched and cheered the Capitol riot, then moved to the front of the mob and hurled a fire extinguisher, a plank and a long pole at officers, was sentenced Friday to more than five years in federal prison, the longest sentence given so far to someone charged in the Jan. 6 attack.
Robert S. Palmer, 54, of Largo, Fla., pleaded guilty in October to assaulting law enforcement officers with a dangerous weapon, and his original plea agreement called for a sentencing range of 46 to 57 months. But after his plea, and his entry into the D.C. jail, Palmer arranged to make an online fundraising plea in which he said he did "go on the defense and throw a fire extinguisher at the police" after being shot with rubber bullets and tear gas.
That was a lie, Palmer admitted Friday. He had thrown a fire extinguisher twice a large plank and then a four- to six-foot pole at police before he was struck with one rubber bullet. The lie indicated a failure to accept responsibility for his actions, prosecutors argued, and when U.S. District Judge Tanya S. Chutkan agreed, she increased his sentencing range to 63 to 78 months, ultimately imposing a 63-month term.
"Look behind you," Chutkan instructed Palmer in the courtroom. "Those are U.S. marshals. They ran from this courthouse. They put themselves in danger to protect the occupants of the Capitol. That's what they're sworn to do. They're the patriots. The people working in the Capitol that night, they are patriots. Doing what they get paid to do, they didn't know if they were going to come out of there alive that night."
Palmer said, "I'm really, really ashamed of what I did."
He said that while in jail he saw footage of himself on an MSNBC news program.
"I was horrified, absolutely devastated to see myself on there," Palmer said.
In a letter to the judge last month, he wrote, "I realize that we, meaning Trump supporters, were lied to by those that at the time had great power, meaning the sitting president as well as those acting on his behalf."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2021/12/17/palmer-sentenced-fire-extinguisher-jan-6/
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Dayum!! I guess in his next life he wants to come back as a Chicago or San Francisco smash and grabber! Great to see our DOJ cracking down and getting tough on crime.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Redbrickbear
Man the Feds are putting more people away for a 4 hour rowdy boomer party at the Capitol than they are for months of rioting and murder.

4+ months of riots, 140+ cities, 40+ deaths, 2+ billion in damages.

But I guess we just have to accept that politically motivated justice is here to stay.

If you are part of the correct tribe you can riot and the ruling class will drop the charges...if you are part of the wrong tribe that will send you to jail for years.
Osodecentx
Just a tourist

A man who watched and cheered the Capitol riot, then moved to the front of the mob and hurled a fire extinguisher, a plank and a long pole at officers,
Redbrickbear
Osodecentx said:

Just a tourist

A man who watched and cheered the Capitol riot, then moved to the front of the mob and hurled a fire extinguisher, a plank and a long pole at officers,
yep criminal behavior.

Also called just another day at a BLM "protest"

Yet DA's across the country dropped thousands of charges for exactly the same activity.

Why not give this guy a break? I heard he was actually at the Capitol to protest racial injustice...shouldn't that get him off like the others?
ATL Bear
People who assault law enforcement officers deserve criminal punishment. It's not that hard to understand.
Canon
ATL Bear said:

People who assault law enforcement officers deserve criminal punishment. It's not that hard to understand.
True. It would be nice if leftists didn't virtually always escape this punishment entirely.
Osodecentx
Canon said:

ATL Bear said:

True. It would be nice if leftists didn't virtually always escape this punishment entirely.
I agree
ATL Bear
Canon said:

ATL Bear said:

Apparently the "political character" of your projected intent plays a part here. What a country!
Jack Bauer
If only he had claimed he was Antifa, he would have been out in 24 hours.
Sam Lowry
Redbrickbear said:

Man the Feds are putting more people away for a 4 hour rowdy boomer party at the Capitol than they are for months of rioting and murder.

But I guess we just have to accept that politically motivated justice is here to stay.

If you are part of the correct tribe you can riot and the ruling class will drop the charges...if you are part of the wrong tribe that will send you to jail for years.
And they should send the leftist barbarians away too. Unfortunately there's at least one party in this country that likes to make excuses and doesn't hold its own scum accountable.

Imagine that.
BylrFan
Are you questioning Trump's executive order Oso? What side are you really on?

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-signs-executive-order-punish-vandalism-against-federal-monuments-n1232322

Osodecentx
BylrFan said:

Are you questioning Trump's executive order Oso? What side are you really on?

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-signs-executive-order-punish-vandalism-against-federal-monuments-n1232322

I liked the EO. Which side am I on?
Porteroso
Redbrickbear said:

It's true. Several cities were holding rioters for a few hours, releasing them in the morning, rinse and repeat the next night.

But this guy worked himself into a longer sentence. Maybe he shouldn't try to milk money out of his part in the assault on the Capitol. And getting hit with a fire extinguisher is no joke.
EatMoreSalmon
Nor is being hit by commercial fireworks, iron bars, bricks, or any other items typically brought to a riot. Put them all on trial and sentence the guilty to jail time and community service like roadside trash pick up.
TrojanMoondoggie
Canon said:

ATL Bear said:

Their selective outrage is so obvious now they can't go back. Luckily for them they have the JSN/Jussie Smollett Network, er CNN, to keep the crickets chirping louder when the narratives aren't going their way, or the hypocrisy becomes too big to ignore. So they stay the twisted course. And they've been given carte blanche to do so. I just hope the ballot boxes next year are this country's response to that.

Very sad indeed that these liberals will cheer on these results, but nary a word when it happens with liberal perpetrators.

I guess I'm just different. I want accountability when LEOs are harmed, and worse. I want accountability, period, no matter who is involved. And that goes for all perpetrators regardless of their political history. If LEOs do wrong, they need to have consequences. But so does everyone else.

If this guy was guilty he deserves everything he gets.

But why is it that when a building is lit on fire and barricaded with LEOs inside...crickets from the left.

Then there are months and months of destruction and riots, over the death of a man by a LEO (who was later found guilty by the way!), and not a word. Heck, one of their leaders even wanted to bail them out. What kind of crap is that?

The Capitol Hill event was wrong. But by comparison to other things that, as someone on here already pointed out, went on for months, paled in comparison. That was a quite a long period of silence from the left. And a lot of crickets. But one situation erupts over a period of a few hours, and it becomes the crime of the century.

And, by the way, whatever happened to the dude with the MAGA hat who they later found out was really an anti-DT person who was right in the middle of all the riots the summer before? And a huge instigator in both settings. And who's to say there weren't more in there just like him? Just to make DT look bad.
Waco1947
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Dayum!! I guess in his next life he wants to come back as a Chicago or San Francisco smash and grabber! Great to see our DOJ cracking down and getting tough on crime.
What would be your punishment for attacking a police officer?
Waco1947
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Waco1947 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

I have better sense than to attack a police officer. You should ask Ashley Babbitt what the penalty is for attempting to crawl through a window.

-- Barack Obama
Waco1947
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Waco1947 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

I have better sense than to attack a police officer. You should ask Ashley Babbitt what the penalty is for attempting to crawl through a window.
I missed seeing an answer to my question. My apologies.
What was your answer?
Waco1947
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Waco1947 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Waco1947 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

What was your answer?
i missed seeing your response to my Ashley Babbitt question. My apologies. So Ashley Babbitt deserved to die?

-- Barack Obama
Waco1947
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Waco1947 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Waco1947 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

What was your answer?
i missed seeing your response to my Ashley Babbitt question. My apologies. So Ashley Babbitt deserved to die?

"Deserved to die?" No. But she was guilty of invasion of the House. She took a chance and paid dearly for a lie.
Does someone deserve to die who breaks into your house?
Waco1947
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Waco1947 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Waco1947 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Waco1947 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

What was your answer?

"Deserved to die?" No. But she was guilty of invasion of the House. She took a chance and paid dearly for a lie.
That all depends on whether or not they were armed or not. Did you realize Ashley Babbitt was unarmed?

So people that break in to private homes and businesses deserve to die?

-- Barack Obama
Mothra
Osodecentx said:

Fla. man sentenced to 5 years for attacking police, the longest Jan. 6 riot sentence yet
Robert S. Palmer watched and cheered rioters, then joined front of mob and hurled fire extinguisher, plank and long pole at police.
A man who watched and cheered the Capitol riot, then moved to the front of the mob and hurled a fire extinguisher, a plank and a long pole at officers, was sentenced Friday to more than five years in federal prison, the longest sentence given so far to someone charged in the Jan. 6 attack.
Robert S. Palmer, 54, of Largo, Fla., pleaded guilty in October to assaulting law enforcement officers with a dangerous weapon, and his original plea agreement called for a sentencing range of 46 to 57 months. But after his plea, and his entry into the D.C. jail, Palmer arranged to make an online fundraising plea in which he said he did "go on the defense and throw a fire extinguisher at the police" after being shot with rubber bullets and tear gas.
That was a lie, Palmer admitted Friday. He had thrown a fire extinguisher twice a large plank and then a four- to six-foot pole at police before he was struck with one rubber bullet. The lie indicated a failure to accept responsibility for his actions, prosecutors argued, and when U.S. District Judge Tanya S. Chutkan agreed, she increased his sentencing range to 63 to 78 months, ultimately imposing a 63-month term.
"Look behind you," Chutkan instructed Palmer in the courtroom. "Those are U.S. marshals. They ran from this courthouse. They put themselves in danger to protect the occupants of the Capitol. That's what they're sworn to do. They're the patriots. The people working in the Capitol that night, they are patriots. Doing what they get paid to do, they didn't know if they were going to come out of there alive that night."
In a letter to the judge last month, he wrote, "I realize that we, meaning Trump supporters, were lied to by those that at the time had great power, meaning the sitting president as well as those acting on his behalf."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2021/12/17/palmer-sentenced-fire-extinguisher-jan-6/

You described him as "mostly peaceful," but I don't see that in the article, nor did I see anyone describe hum as such. In fact, it would appear otherwise - this guy was violent and needed to be locked up.

Are you using this one case to try and make a larger point that January 6th wasn't mostly peaceful? If so, can you explain the logic behind your logical fallacy?
Osodecentx
Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

You described him as "mostly peaceful," but I don't see that in the article, nor did I see anyone describe hum as such. In fact, it would appear otherwise - this guy was violent and needed to be locked up.

Are you using this one case to try and make a larger point that January 6th wasn't mostly peaceful? If so, can you explain the logic behind your logical fallacy?
The "mostly peaceful" was meant as irony. It is quoting some on this board who made the same logical fallacy as those who characterized Portland riots as mostly peaceful.

He wasn't peaceful all, nor were the rioters in Portland
Mothra
Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

The "mostly peaceful" was meant as irony. It is quoting some on this board who made the same logical fallacy as those who characterized Portland riots as mostly peaceful.

The facts disagree with you on this. The vast majority of the protestors were peaceful. We can see this in the charges brought against the protestors, and in the videos. Relatively speaking, there was only a small percentage that got violent. One case doesn't prove your point (which was my point).

I can't believe you are actually disputing these facts. May need to check your sources.
Osodecentx
Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

The facts disagree with you on this. The vast majority of the protestors were peaceful. We can see this in the charges brought against the protestors, and in the videos. Relatively speaking, there was only a small percentage that got violent. One case doesn't prove your point (which was my point).

I can't believe you are actually disputing these facts. May need to check your sources.
Are you speaking of Portland or DC?
Mothra
Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

DC of course. No clue about Portland.

Do you have some evidence regarding the Portland protests you would like to share?
Osodecentx
Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Do you have some evidence regarding the Portland protests you would like to share?
The arguments defending or explaining away riot in Portland are the same used to defend or explain away the insurrection in DC
Waco1947
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Waco1947 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Waco1947 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Waco1947 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

What was your answer?

That all depends on whether or not they were armed or not. Did you realize Ashley Babbitt was unarmed?

Again, my answer to "deserve to die" is no but she is responsible for her decision to participate and her decision led to her death. Self responsible is a key factor. My advice is "don't attack the Capitol."
Waco1947
SIC EM 94
Waco1947 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Waco1947 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Waco1947 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Waco1947 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

What was your answer?

Again, my answer to "deserve to die" is no but she is responsible for her decision to participate and her decision led to her death. Self responsible is a key factor. My advice is "don't attack the Capitol."

So George Floyd and Daunte Wright are both responsible for their own deaths. My advice…don't commit crime and resist arrest.
Mothra
Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

The arguments defending or explaining away riot in Portland are the same used to defend or explain away the insurrection in DC
Ah, so you were trying to be ironic again. Bless your heart.

I recall some commentators and media pundits calling the BLM protests mostly peaceful. Of course, given the millions in damages property, injuries, and murders over the course of a several month period, that claim remains questionable, though I suppose that if most of the protestors were peaceful, technically it was a mostly peaceful protest.

It's interesting you think the months long BLM protests were comparable to Jan. 6th. It's almost as if you have a narrative to uphold.
Osodecentx
Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

I recall some commentators and media pundits calling the BLM protests mostly peaceful. Of course, given the millions in damages property, injuries, and murders over the course of a several month period, that claim remains questionable, though I suppose that if most of the protestors were peaceful, technically it was a mostly peaceful protest.

It's interesting you think the months long BLM protests were comparable to Jan. 6th. It's almost as if you have a narrative to uphold.
No, it's interesting to me that you both (BLM and 1/6 apologists) use the same argument
Mothra
Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

No, it's interesting to me that you both (BLM and 1/6 apologists) use the same argument
Am I a 1/6 "apologist" for not believing the narrative - as you do - that January 6th was a violent insurrection?

Using the same argument as BLM supporters would be a lot more ironic if 1/6 and the BLM protests were remotely comparable.
Osodecentx
Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Am I a 1/6 "apologist" for not believing the narrative - as you do - that January 6th was a violent insurrection?

Using the same argument as BLM supporters would be a lot more ironic if 1/6 and the BLM protests were remotely comparable.
yes
They are
Canon
Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

yes
They are

You are an imbecile.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.