What Would You Do If You had The Power

2,284 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Golem
Oldbear83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Michigan judge fines a 72-year-old cancer patient $100 for not mowing lawn while going through Chemo, then yells at him that she would throw him in jail if she could.

If you had the power, what would you say should be done about Judge Alexis Krot?
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Porteroso
Oldbear83 said:

Michigan judge fines a 72-year-old cancer patient $100 for not mowing lawn while going through Chemo, then yells at him that she would throw him in jail if she could.

If you had the power, what would you say should be done about Judge Alexis Krot?

Without knowing the whole story, if it's as you framed it, I'd go through her cases for the past year or 2 and figure out if she has attempted to be fair or not. If not, she gets the boot, get someone who will be fair.
Oldbear83
Good answer, Porteroso. I tried looking up Judge Krot's history but could not find much, which indicates this may be a first-time thing.

4th and Inches
A regular judge doing their job would fine the person $100 for not mowing the yard but a great judge would fine them and then pay the fine out of their own pocket for the person going through chemo.

The law is the law but not always at the expense of humanity.
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
muddybrazos
Who mows their grass in January? Especially in Michigan bc you would think it would be covered by snow.
BearN
If I remember correctly, she was appointed to fill a vacant seat and then ran unopposed the next election. I'm guessing she will have some competition next time.

Her behavior was appalling.
GrowlTowel
I would have her write an essay about what is a judge's opinion verses what is a court's opinion.
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Forest Bueller
Listening sounds like the complaint was from August.

It looks terrible, but the way she handled this was bad. She went on a shaming rant. No purpose behind that.
cowboycwr
Welcome to the fascist state of Michigan where the length of your lawn is the concern of the government. (same for HOA)

It is your property. It may not look good but no one should be fined for not mowing their grass.
Canada2017
cowboycwr said:

Welcome to the fascist state of Michigan where the length of your lawn is the concern of the government. (same for HOA)

It is your property. It may not look good but no one should be fined for not mowing their grass.
Depends.

If a homeowner signed a document when they closed on the house declaring they would obey any and all homeowner associations rules and guidelines ...........

said homeowner needs to follow through and obey HOA rules and guidelines .
STxBear81
i would have the judge cut the grass as punishment, and then take the man to chemo and sit with him.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
I think most cities have rules designed to protect the property value of property owners. The old man should have had enough respect for his neighbors to hire someone to take care of it. I mowed my grandmothers yard several times.

The judge should have been more professional but she was right that the old man should have taken care of the problem.
Forest Bueller_bf
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

I think most cities have rules designed to protect the property value of property owners. The old man should have had enough respect for his neighbors to hire someone to take care of it. I mowed my grandmothers yard several times.

The judge should have been more professional but she was right that the old man should have taken care of the problem.
I mowed my In Laws yard at least 50 times when my Father In law was slowly dying after a massive stroke disabled him his last 4 years of life.

Mowed my next door neighbors yard without being asked when they went on vacation for about a month and a neighbor was grumbling.

I would have hoped he had a neighbor that would be kind enough to do it. Once a month would keep it from looking like total garbage. Detroit is far enough north, it is probably dormant grass 6 months of the year.

Not that difficult.

She went overboard though, lacked any empathy. We are missing that often today.
Jack Bauer
Find a neighbor, volunteer, Boy Scout, charity, etc that would do it.

Geez. If it was my 72 year old neighbor, I'd do it for him.
Canon
She seems like a miserable woman who doesn't take into account legitimate circumstances. She can rule according to the law without being miserable POS.
Porteroso
GrowlTowel said:

I would have her write an essay about what is a judge's opinion verses what is a court's opinion.

Which as we know is an interesting topic, from a basic knowledge of English. A judge can have many opinions that are not the court's opinion, however when in an official capacity, the judge actually is the court, so judge's opinion becomes the court's opinion.

No essay needed.
cowboycwr
Canada2017 said:

cowboycwr said:

Depends.

If a homeowner signed a document when they closed on the house declaring they would obey any and all homeowner associations rules and guidelines ...........

If they sign it then yes they should follow it. I don't believe/like HOA and an organization telling another person what they can or can't do with their property.
cowboycwr

I have always heard that is the argument and yet right across from my neighborhood are fields of unmowed grass and yet the value of homes keeps going up.

If the man is going through cancer treatments he may not have enough money to pay someone to mow his yard.

His neighbors could have been nice and mowed it for him knowing he was sick.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
If he can afford to own the property he can afford upkeep. If not he should sell it.

So your point is that surrounding property does have anything to do with property values?

The only houses I ever bought were in the country because I didnt want to have to meet others expectations. When you live among other property owners you should respect them.
Canada2017
cowboycwr said:

Canada2017 said:

cowboycwr said:

Depends.

I don't believe/like HOA and an organization telling another person what they can or can't do with their property.
There are plenty of neighborhoods without HOA guidelines.

I'd never invest in any of them .
Porteroso
cowboycwr said:

I have always heard that is the argument and yet right across from my neighborhood are fields of unmowed grass and yet the value of homes keeps going up.

If the man is going through cancer treatments he may not have enough money to pay someone to mow his yard.

It actually would be more fair to fine the neighbors for not helping out their cancer ridden friend. Although who knows, maybe this guy is the devil and it's some sort of OJ situation. Getim for anything you can.
cowboycwr

If he can afford to own the property he can afford upkeep. If not he should sell it.

So your point is that surrounding property does have anything to do with property values?

The only houses I ever bought were in the country because I didnt want to have to meet others expectations. When you live among other property owners you should respect them.
That would depend. If he is done with mortgage payments, going through chemo, etc. then he might not have $40 + per week or two weeks to upkeep his lawn.

I still think the point is the judge ruled unfairly and crossed a line by saying she would put him in jail. A better option would be helping him get his yard cut.
cowboycwr
Canada2017 said:

cowboycwr said:

Canada2017 said:

cowboycwr said:

Depends.

I don't believe/like HOA and an organization telling another person what they can or can't do with their property.
There are plenty of neighborhoods without HOA guidelines.

I'd never invest in any of them .
And I am the opposite. I avoided neighborhoods with HOA when looking for my home.
cowboycwr
Porteroso said:

cowboycwr said:

It actually would be more fair to fine the neighbors for not helping out their cancer ridden friend. Although who knows, maybe this guy is the devil and it's some sort of OJ situation. Getim for anything you can.
Agreed. Seems like there could have been a lot of fixes. Neighbors helping out, boy scouts, another volunteer group, someone talking to a lawn company to see if they could "donate" services" or other solutions.
Oldbear83
I worked on my HOA board as Vice-President for a couple years. It's important to our neighborhood that the board is made up of people who live in the community and personally know the residents.
Canada2017
Oldbear83 said:

I worked on my HOA board as Vice-President for a couple years. It's important to our neighborhood that the board is made up of people who live in the community and personally know the residents.
Was the president of 2 home owner associations and served on the board of still another .

5-10% of homeowners are dysfunctional morons .

Oldbear83
Canada2017 said:

Oldbear83 said:

Was the president of 2 home owner associations and served on the board of still another .

It's the management companies which cause most problems.
Wangchung
Hopefully this judge and everyone that sided with her has to go through exactly what this man is going through. They deserve it.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Wangchung said:

Hopefully this judge and everyone that sided with her has to go through exactly what this man is going through. They deserve it.
You wish cancer on all those that side with the law?
Wangchung
It's the only way heartless *******s will ever understand what he is going through all over the length of his lawn. Absolutely.
Canada2017
Oldbear83 said:

Canada2017 said:

Oldbear83 said:

It's the management companies which cause most problems.

Sometimes manage companies are inept . I've dealt with a few .

However selfish homeowners are not uncommon either .

And renters are often the worst offenders.
contrario
muddybrazos said:

Who mows their grass in January? Especially in Michigan bc you would think it would be covered by snow.
One would assume if the case is being heard in January the event probably happened some time ago…
Romen635
If you have the power to save someone. So which one do you prefer to choose? If you can erase everyone's memory. Then you can start from https://www.college-paper.org/custom-term-paper.html So you can target anyone. I definitely hope you get success in this. If you can too, then you have the ability to reach success easily.
LIB,MR BEARS
cowboycwr said:

"Who is my neighbor?"
Golem
Romen635 said:

If you have the power to save someone. So which one do you prefer to choose? If you can erase everyone's memory. Then you can start from https://www.college-paper.org/custom-term-paper.html So you can target anyone. I definitely hope you get success in this. If you can too, then you have the ability to reach success easily.

I give many greats thank you for interwebs click link to page of glorious term paper writings help. Proofesur will be glad happy with my superior English writings.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.