California hospitals find that Omicron causes fewer hospitalizations and shorter stay

1,059 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Osodecentx
Osodecentx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
California hospitals find that Omicron causes fewer hospitalizations and shorter stays.

A new study of nearly 70,000 Covid patients in California demonstrates that Omicron causes less severe disease than other coronavirus variants, results that align with similar findings from South Africa, Britain and Denmark, as well as a host of experiments on animals.
Compared with Delta, Omicron infections were half as likely to send people to the hospital. Out of more than 52,000 Omicron patients identified from electronic medical records of Kaiser Permanente of Southern California, a large health system, the researchers found that not a single patient went on a ventilator during that time.
"It's truly a viral factor that accounts for reduced severity," said Dr. Lewnard, an epidemiologist at the University of California, Berkeley who was an author of the study, which was posted online on Tuesday and has not yet been published in a scientific journal.
In recent weeks, Britain and several other countries have reported that Omicron has a lower risk of hospitalizations. When the variant hit the United States last month, Dr. Lewnard and his colleagues began analyzing electronic health care records maintained by Kaiser Permanente of Southern California, which serves 4.7 million people.
They analyzed 69,279 symptomatic patients who tested positive for the coronavirus from Nov. 30 to Jan. 1. Three-quarters of the positive samples contained the Omicron variant, and the rest were Delta.
The researchers then followed the people who tested positive to see whether they ended up in the hospital. They excluded the so-called incidental Covid patients who showed up at hospitals for other complaints and tested positive for the coronavirus after arriving.
Compared with Delta, Omicron cut the risk of hospitalization in half, the study found, and the people who came to the hospital with Omicron stayed for a shorter period. The variant cut hospital stays by more than three days, a reduction of 70 percent compared with Delta.
Fourteen of the Delta-infected patients died, while only one Omicron patient did.
As scientists have gathered evidence that Omicron is less severe, they have struggled to understand why. One reason is that the people infected with Omicron have more immune defenses than in previous waves.
In other countries, researchers have found that earlier infections with other variants reduce the chances that people end up severely ill with Omicron. Vaccination also offers protection.
"Vaccines are quite helpful," Dr. Lewnard said. He and his colleagues found that Californians who were vaccinated were 64 to 73 percent less likely to be hospitalized than unvaccinated people.
Even among unvaccinated people, however, Omicron was less likely to lead to hospitalizations than Delta.
Dr. Lewnard said that this extra analysis showed that Omicron was fundamentally less severe. Studies on animals suggest that Omicron readily infects cells in the upper airway but works poorly in the lungs, which could explain its milder effects.
https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/01/11/world/omicron-covid-testing-vaccines#california-omicron-hospitalizations
4th and Inches
Biggest take away is Omicron doesnt damage the lungs like Delta
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Osodecentx
4th and Inches said:

Biggest take away is Omicron doesnt damage the lungs like Delta
Yep, good news
cowboycwr
But that doesn't spread fear like the media and dems want... hence the lack of comments on this thread from the fear posters on the site.
Osodecentx
cowboycwr said:

But that doesn't spread fear like the media and dems want... hence the lack of comments on this thread from the fear posters on the site.
You fear vaccine and choose to spread that fear. Those of us who are vaccinated don't fear the virus or the jab
Harrison Bergeron
This is good news. Glad we are seeing outcomes consistent with other countries.
4th and Inches
Osodecentx said:

cowboycwr said:

You fear vaccine and choose to spread that fear. Those of us who are vaccinated don't fear the virus or the jab
psst, dont look at the latest data that shows the jab dont do a thing against Omicron.. have a great day!

Israel, the only quadruple-vaxxed country in the world (also using mask mandates and Covid passports), just broke global record for daily Covid cases.
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Osodecentx
4th and Inches said:

Osodecentx said:

cowboycwr said:

psst, dont look at the latest data that shows the jab dont do a thing against Omicron.. have a great day!

Israel, the only quadruple-vaxxed country in the world (also using mask mandates and Covid passports), just broke global record for daily Covid cases.
I understand your fears. I don't share them
4th and Inches
Osodecentx said:

4th and Inches said:

Osodecentx said:

cowboycwr said:

I understand your fears. I don't share them

–Horace

ATL Bear
Coronavirus gonna coronavirus.
D. C. Bear
4th and Inches said:

Osodecentx said:

cowboycwr said:

If they have omicron in Switzerland, the idea that "the jab dont do a thing against Omicron" is not supported by data.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/switzerland-covid-19-weekly-death-rate-by-vaccination-status?country=~All+ages

It is also noteworthy that nearly all of the deaths are among elderly.
4th and Inches
D. C. Bear said:

4th and Inches said:

Osodecentx said:

cowboycwr said:

If they have omicron in Switzerland, the idea that "the jab dont do a thing against Omicron" is not supported by data.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/switzerland-covid-19-weekly-death-rate-by-vaccination-status?country=~All+ages

It is also noteworthy that nearly all of the deaths are among elderly.
noteworthy? Since the beginning of the pandemic almost all the deaths are among the elderly.

–Horace

Forest Bueller_bf
Here is an actual reasonable article about Covid from Axios.

Quote:

The U.S. Omicron wave may be peaking, but now COVID deaths are climbing as cases continue to soar in most of the country.

The big picture: Omicron's stranglehold in the U.S. started about a month ago. Its death toll while almost certain to be smaller than previous waves of the pandemic is only now starting to take hold, and deaths will likely continue to rise for several weeks.

By the numbers: The U.S. is now averaging just under 1,900 deaths per day a 42% increase over the past two weeks.
  • The Omicron wave is already receding in the places where it first took hold: New cases are slowing down significantly in and around Boston, New York and Washington, D.C.
  • But it hasn't yet run its course in the rest of the country. While cases are declining on the East Coast, they've continued to climb just about everywhere else.
  • Nationwide, the U.S. is averaging almost 760,000 new cases per day up 30% over the past two weeks.
Where it stands: This phase of the pandemic will probably end relatively soon. The Omicron wave swept through South Africa and the U.K. quickly, and now appears to be following a similar trajectory in the U.S.
  • Omicron is far less deadly than its predecessors. A smaller proportion of infected people become severely ill, and a smaller proportion die from the virus.
  • But skyrocketing cases will still translate into some increase in deaths. Now we're beginning to see that happen. And deaths may continue to rise, trailing consistently behind a surge in cases that's still going on.
The bottom line: This will not last forever, but for now, vulnerable people are still at risk especially if they're unvaccinated.

This is not all gloom and doom, just telling us what is actually happening.

cowboycwr
Osodecentx said:

cowboycwr said:

False. I do not fear the vaccine. I have never said anything close to that.

Then why do you and so many others care if others don't get it? If you don't fear the vaccine or the virus why do you care what someone else does?

D. C. Bear
cowboycwr said:

Osodecentx said:

cowboycwr said:

Then why do you and so many others care if others don't get it? If you don't fear the vaccine or the virus why do you care what someone else does?

Why would I care if someone else gets the vaccine?
The disease is a serious risk for many people. A number of people I personally know have died or experienced serious long term health consequences from the disease. The vaccine does a great deal to prevent this. If I have any concern at all about the wellbeing of others, why would I not care and why would I not encourage them to talk with their personal physicians about whether they should be vaccinated?

No man is an island entire of itself; every man
is a piece of the continent, a part of the main;
if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe
is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as
well as any manner of thy friends or of thine
own were; any man's death diminishes me,
because I am involved in mankind.
And therefore never send to know for whom
the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

-John Donne
Osodecentx
cowboycwr said:

Osodecentx said:

cowboycwr said:

You accuse those who receive the vaccine of being fearful. I think you're afraid of the jab.
Harrison Bergeron
Natural immunity works (as if this has ever been controversial).

https://ijr.com/cdc-study-natural-immunity-significantly-protection-covid/

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7104e1.htm
Osodecentx
Harrison Bergeron said:

Natural immunity works (as if this has ever been controversial).

https://ijr.com/cdc-study-natural-immunity-significantly-protection-covid/

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7104e1.htm
Are you endorsing a CDC memo?
cowboycwr
Osodecentx said:

cowboycwr said:

Osodecentx said:

cowboycwr said:

You accuse those who receive the vaccine of being fearful. I think you're afraid of the jab.
Not what I said at all. I got my vaccine so no not afraid of it.

But go on and keep spreading lies and misinformation about what I said or believe.
Osodecentx
cowboycwr said:

Osodecentx said:

cowboycwr said:

Osodecentx said:

cowboycwr said:

Not what I said at all. I got my vaccine so no not afraid of it.

But go on and keep spreading lies and misinformation about what I said or believe.
You're saying the same thing I am, but I'm spreading lies?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.