How will gay "marriage" ever effect you?

10,707 Views | 182 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Waco1947
Redbrickbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
[A Canadian law banning so-called conversion therapy is poised to go into effect on Friday, making it a crime to provide or promote services intended to change or repress a person's sexual orientation or gender expression.

With the new law, Canada's criminal code will prohibit forcing someone to undergo conversion therapy; taking a minor abroad to take part; and profiting from, promoting or advertising the practice. Violations can draw sentences of up to five years' imprisonment.]

It was rammed through parliament last month, and went into effect earlier this month. You would never know from the Times story how radical this law is.

Canada's new law declares that you are guilty of "conversion therapy" and subject to five years in prison if you ever counsel your biological male child to accept his male identity.

It is expressly NOT a crime in this bill to change a child's orientation from straight to gay. It's only a crime if the orientation goes from gay to straight. It's also not a crime to foist transgenderism on a child. The crime only applies the other way around.

There are no carve outs for religious liberty or clergy or parental protection. Anyone can face prosecution.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/06/world/canada/canada-conversion-therapy-law.html
4th and Inches
Well, i counseled my child who was born with male body parts to identify as a female lesbian who cross dresses as male
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Canon
Leftists are evil.
jupiter
Did conservatives try to make this a Federal issue?
STxBear81
that sucks
Jack Bauer
Osodecentx
Just another sign of the decrepitude of our culture.
We're rolling downhill like a snowball headed for hell.

Redbrickbear
Jack Bauer said:

"repress or reduce a person gender expression"

How would the State even determine such a thing?

How is the government even qualified to judge it?

But you can bet the left will control how this is applied and by whom.

Imagine telling your child that you do not want them cross dressing while they live under your roof...and then getting arrested by the State (facing 5 years) for a violation of this act.
Mitch Blood Green
This affects me about as much as two Canadian teams skating for the Stanley Cup.

Go Leafs! Beat the Flames!
Harrison Bergeron
This doesn't feel like something the government should be focused on.
quash

Near as I can tell I have never been affected by gay marriage.

That Canadian law suxxors, but it is not an effect of legalizing gay marriage. It is an effect of government overreach. That pre-exists gay marriage rights.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Mothra
tommie said:

This affects me about as much as two Canadian teams skating for the Stanley Cup.

So we should only care about the things that affect us? Interesting.
Mothra
quash said:

That Canadian law suxxors, but it is not an effect of legalizing gay marriage. It is an effect of government overreach. That pre-exists gay marriage rights.

Perhaps, but on the other hand, one could argue that issues like gay marriage helped usher laws like this in.
Mitch Blood Green
Mothra said:

tommie said:

I didn't start the thread or it's theme. You are free to get up in arms about Canadian policies if you choose to.
Wangchung
The "slippery slope" thesis can be used righteously in many cases, but not here. Two legal aged adults in love wanting to get married has nothing to do with anyone but those two poor misguided souls who think monogamy and familiarity are going to make for a happy existence. Have at it. Lol
quash
Mothra said:

quash said:

Perhaps, but on the other hand, one could argue that issues like gay marriage helped usher laws like this in.

No, the mindset of using government like this pre-exists gay marriage. That's why I said exactly that.

Terrible law. Almost as bad as conversion therapy itself.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
4th and Inches
Wangchung said:

The "slippery slope" thesis can be used righteously in many cases, but not here. Two legal aged adults in love wanting to get married has nothing to do with anyone but those two poor misguided souls who think monogamy and familiarity are going to make for a happy existence. Have at it. Lol
biggest problem in modern marraige is the need to be happy. God doesnt promise 24/7 happiness when married. He doesnt promise happiness at all, that is a selfish thing.

In ever growing numbers, People today are driven by their own "needs" at the expense of others including spouses and children.
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Malbec
Now we are going to have a run on our Northern border too? Sheeeesh!
Canon
Wangchung said:

Without a usurpation of the religious institution of marriage by the state and then those governments applying vile redefinition of that religious institution to include gay sex, this would never have occurred. This is a precise example of the slippery slope in action.
Wangchung
Canon said:

Wangchung said:

Without a usurpation of the religious institution of marriage by the state and then those governments applying vile redefinition of that religious institution to include gay sex, this would never have occurred. This is a precise example of the slippery slope in action.
But marriage, legal marriage, cannot be the sole discretion of the church. I'm also fine with private religious entities being free to deny anyone from using their services or property for any reason they see fit. I've yet to see any churches forced to host a gay wedding. Might have happened, I simply have l not read about it.
Canon
Wangchung said:

Canon said:

Wangchung said:

But marriage, legal marriage, cannot be the sole discretion of the church. I'm also fine with private religious entities being free to deny anyone from using their services or property for any reason they see fit. I've yet to see any churches forced to host a gay wedding. Might have happened, I simply have l not read about it.

It's a religious institution, in every culture. Only in recent history have governments usurped it. The push to call gay relationships 'marriage' was to usurp the religious and thus social validation of a time valued institution and apply it to a degraded relationship so as to normalize homosexuality. Civil unions would have achieved all legal parity.
Wangchung
Canon said:

Wangchung said:

Canon said:

Wangchung said:

It's a religious institution, in every culture. Only in recent history have governments usurped it. The push to call gay relationships 'marriage' was to usurp the religious and thus social validation of a time valued institution and apply it to a degraded relationship so as to normalize homosexuality. Civil unions would have achieved all legal parity.
Meh, it's merely a word. "Marriage". The only meaning behind that word is what the two people locked into it make of it. I wasn't put on this earth to be a goalie.
BearN
Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a reproach to any people.

Proverbs 14:34

Mothra
tommie said:

Mothra said:

tommie said:

I didn't start the thread or it's theme. You are free to get up in arms about Canadian policies if you choose to.

I'm not sure what starting the thread has to do with anything. It's just a very odd sort of reasoning. Because it doesn't affect you personally you don't care about it. Seems like that's kind of the textbook definition of selfish.
Mitch Blood Green
Mothra said:

tommie said:

Mothra said:

tommie said:

I'm not sure what starting the thread has to do with anything. It's just a very odd sort of reasoning. Because it doesn't affect you personally you don't care about it. Seems like that's kind of the textbook definition of selfish.

To better answer your questions. I don't need to worry about many things that don't effect me.

There's right. Wrong and differently than I would do it.

Maturity says, just because I wouldn't do it doesn't mean it's not right for someone else.

I would never attend First Baptist Dallas, should I start threads about them and march outside their church?

Or should I let them worship as they please and just not attend?

The thread is about the effect of gay marriage on me.

It's none. If you and dude want to cross swords, (IN CANADA) have at it.
J.R.
Gay Marriage has not effected my in the least!
Mitch Blood Green
Mothra said:

tommie said:

Mothra said:

tommie said:

So, I should care about EVERYTHING that doesn't effect me personally in order to not be selfish?

Must be hard being you. Caring about whether a tall is a small or venti is large. Or counting licks to get to the center of a tootsie pop.

Have you found the beef?
Forest Bueller_bf
Canon said:

Leftists are evil.
Of course when it first past the powers that be said, they just wanted "acceptance" and to be "acknowledged".

You knew that was a lie at the time and that has been proven out.

In fairness the average gay person probably does just want acceptance and to be treated fairly, the progressives of the movement want revolution, and a fundamental change in the structure of our society.

Unfortunately the latter gets all the press clippings.
muddybrazos
I've only known one dude who was gay married and he is now gay divorced. He was a cool guy/coworker and was pretty open about things. From what I gathered from him being gay married just meant you lived with a dude but you had a pretty open relationship otherwise.
Mothra
tommie said:

Mothra said:

tommie said:

Mothra said:

tommie said:

To better answer your questions. I don't need to worry about many things that don't effect me.

There's right. Wrong and differently than I would do it.

Maturity says, just because I wouldn't do it doesn't mean it's not right for someone else.

I would never attend First Baptist Dallas, should I start threads about them and march outside their church?

Or should I let them worship as they please and just not attend?

The thread is about the effect of gay marriage on me.

It's none. If you and dude want to cross swords, (IN CANADA) have at it.
Actually this thread is not about the effect of gay marriage on you. Sure, that's the provocative thread title, but if you read the substance of the OP, this thread is instead about a new law in Canada that, as quash correctly points out, constitutes govt. overreach and authoritarianism. I know you're sharp enough to realize this.

Am I losing sleep over this law? No, because of the reasons you stated. This law will have no effect on me. But for people who value freedom and Western democracy, it should be a concern that a Western democracy is enacting these kind of tyrannical, anti-Democratic statutes, which interfere with parents ability to raise their kids. We have seen too much erosion of our freedoms the past few years, and this is just another drop in the bucket.
Mothra
tommie said:

Mothra said:

tommie said:

Mothra said:

tommie said:

So, I should care about EVERYTHING that doesn't effect me personally in order to not be selfish?

Must be hard being you. Caring about whether a tall is a small or venti is large. Or counting licks to get to the center of a tootsie pop.

Have you found the beef?
That's a straw man. I never said that. I am merely commenting on your not caring about something because it has no effect on you. Those were your words.
timetraveler
There isn't anything more gay than marriage. I'm surprised straight marriage ever became a thing
Jack Bauer
Gay marriage really doesn't effect straight people. I haven't had to change my life.

But the "T" in LGBT tagged along right after gay marriage and now it does effect people's lives.

Biological men competing against women
Biological men in women's restrooms
Teaching pronouns, nonbinary lessons to 6 year olds
Gender neutral language taking away traditions
-homecoming king/queen are now "Homecoming court"
-Father/daughter dances
-"pregnant people" and "people with vaginas" replace the word women
curtpenn
Wangchung said:

Canon said:

Wangchung said:

Canon said:

Wangchung said:

Meh, it's merely a word. "Marriage". The only meaning behind that word is what the two people locked into it make of it. I wasn't put on this earth to be a goalie.
"It's merely a word"... Stupid assertion.
Redbrickbear
Jack Bauer said:

Gay marriage really doesn't effect straight people. I haven't had to change my life.

But the "T" in LGBT tagged along right after gay marriage and now it does effect people's lives.

Biological men competing against women
Biological men in women's restrooms
Teaching pronouns, nonbinary lessons to 6 year olds
Gender neutral language taking away traditions
-homecoming king/queen are now "Homecoming court"
-Father/daughter dances
-"pregnant people" and "people with vaginas" replace the word women

But that is the thing....you can't just stop the sexual revolution at Gay and not include Trans.

Indeed simply follow the logic of sexual liberty far enough, and you will quite naturally arrive eventually at a place where age of consent laws are just another form of tyranny, a transgression on the natural sexual autonomy of children.

You have two choices get off the train totally or ride it to where it ends.....

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.