Just as FYI with storm headed in...

4,766 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Wrecks Quan Dough
Bexar Pitts
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Governor has said no major worries with power grid itself..Ice may cause localized outages from lines/tree limbs down.Just putting this back up for anyone who gets curious tomorrow. .https://www.ercot.com/gridmktinfo/dashboards/gridconditions
Sam Lowry
Bexar Pitts said:

Governor has said no major worries
Okay, now I'm worried.
timetraveler
Abbot has agreed to turn off the great southern electric fence for a few days
Bexar Pitts
Sam Lowry said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Governor has said no major worries
Okay, now I'm worried.
Roger that! :-) Wonder if the Crypto miners in Rockdale are up and running?
Mothra
Bexar Pitts said:

Governor has said no major worries with power grid itself..Ice may cause localized outages from lines/tree limbs down.Just putting this back up for anyone who gets curious tomorrow. .https://www.ercot.com/gridmktinfo/dashboards/gridconditions
You in the power industry? Just curious, since you post about this quite a bit.
Wrecks Quan Dough
Are we expecting any falling iguanas?
midgett
Amal Shuq-Up said:

I've heard they are quite tasty if cooked properly.
Wrecks Quan Dough
midgett said:

Amal Shuq-Up said:

I've heard they are quite tasty if cooked properly.
And even if the dish does not turn out as planned, you still have material for a belt.
Bexar Pitts
Mothra said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Nope. Did work "underground" service during summers attending Baylor..Had family members that were "lifers" for TP&L / TU Electric years ago. After last Feb grid failure, I just find it to be an interesting topic, and hoping a few others here do too.
ABC BEAR
Relax. Biden just announced he is sending Kamala to hand-crank the electric grid.
Jack Bauer
I'll base the severity on whether Ted is going to Cancun or not...
Whiskey Pete
I guess Abbott has people aiming hairdryers at the Windmills?
cowboycwr
This year can we get all the business, schools, etc to turn off lights when NO ONE is there instead of leaving everything on and using so much electricity?
4th and Inches
cowboycwr said:

This year can we get all the business, schools, etc to turn off lights when NO ONE is there instead of leaving everything on and using so much electricity?
that sounds sensible so we are definitely not doing that
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Wrecks Quan Dough
Rawhide said:

I think the good news is the wind will blow this year. Of course, the windmills might freeze and be unable to move. I love natural, reliable energy--------

----

Nuclear, oil, natural gas, coal.
Bexar Pitts
An article out today, for anyone interested. https://www.kwtx.com/2022/02/02/winter-storm-is-heading-texas-heres-what-that-means-power-grid/
Mothra
Bexar Pitts said:

Mothra said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Nope. Did work "underground" service during summers attending Baylor..Had family members that were "lifers" for TP&L / TU Electric years ago. After last Feb grid failure, I just find it to be an interesting topic, and hoping a few others here do too.
Understood. Thanks.
Osodecentx
Amal Shuq-Up said:

Rawhide said:

I think the good news is the wind will blow this year. Of course, the windmills might freeze and be unable to move. I love natural, reliable energy--------

----

Natural gas froze at the wellhead and had to shut down 50% of the capacity were were expecting.
Some coal plants had their piles coal freeze and had to shut down.

Do we have any oil fired generation in Texas?

Last year we were expecting less than 10% of our needed generation from renewables and we got about 5%. If nathan hadn't shut down there would have been no rolling blackouts.
Wrecks Quan Dough
Osodecentx said:

Amal Shuq-Up said:

Rawhide said:

----

Natural gas froze at the wellhead and had to shut down 50% of the capacity were were expecting.

Last year we were expecting less than 10% of our needed generation from renewables and we got about 5%. If nathan hadn't shut down there would have been no rolling blackouts.

It is easier to prepare a wellhead than it is to make wind blow or unstuck a windmill.
Bexar Pitts
This article from last year..it addresses "preparing" politicians ,not wellheads. :-) https://www.texastribune.org/2021/08/04/texas-energy-industry-donations-legislature/
Mitch Blood Green
Last year, stocked up on foods and couldn't cook. This year? Chips and charged backup batteries.
Wrecks Quan Dough
tommie said:

Last year, stocked up on foods and couldn't cook. This year? Chips and charged backup batteries.
Get a charcoal and wood grill. You will never be disappointed.
cowboycwr
Amal Shuq-Up said:

tommie said:

In most cases that is a great idea. Last year (and I know that was extreme weather) it didn't help me. The back patio was completely iced over, with the ice even on our back door (under the patio covering), the grill cover was iced to the ground and there was ice on the grill. Not to mention I did not want to stand outside even for a few seconds to cook.

We used the fireplace and a small camp stove in the garage. It wasn't the safest thing using it inside a closed garage but it was actually only one time because i forgot the small can was almost out of fuel.
Wrecks Quan Dough
cowboycwr said:

Amal Shuq-Up said:

tommie said:

In most cases that is a great idea. Last year (and I know that was extreme weather) it didn't help me. The back patio was completely iced over, with the ice even on our back door (under the patio covering), the grill cover was iced to the ground and there was ice on the grill. Not to mention I did not want to stand outside even for a few seconds to cook.

We used the fireplace and a small camp stove in the garage. It wasn't the safest thing using it inside a closed garage but it was actually only one time because i forgot the small can was almost out of fuel.

Coleman is cool. And underrated.
Canada2017
Back from Florida to find over a foot of snow in our backyard. Front yard looks like Siberia .

Heck with it .......off to the Wynn come Tuesday .
Wrecks Quan Dough
Canada2017 said:

Heck with it .......off to the Wynn come Tuesday .

Bachhanal Wednesday, Hospital Thursday...
Osodecentx
Amal Shuq-Up said:

Osodecentx said:

Amal Shuq-Up said:

Rawhide said:

----

It is easier to prepare a wellhead than it is to make wind blow or unstuck a windmill.
and that is the Railroad Commission. Neither ERCOT noe PUC regulate natgas.
Wrecks Quan Dough
Osodecentx said:

Amal Shuq-Up said:

Osodecentx said:

Amal Shuq-Up said:

Rawhide said:

----

Uhh, nobody said otherwise.
Bexar Pitts
Osodecentx said:

Amal Shuq-Up said:

Osodecentx said:

Amal Shuq-Up said:

Rawhide said:

----

Oso, I know you're well informed in this area..This article was from late last year on RRC actions on natgas ... https://www.texastribune.org/2021/11/30/texas-natural-gas-winter-storm-pow/#:~:text=Texas%20regulators%20pass%20rule%20aimed,off%20during%20future%20winter%20storms&text=Those%20gas%20companies%20will%20be,as%20a%20severe%20winter%20storm.
Osodecentx
Amal Shuq-Up said:

Osodecentx said:

Amal Shuq-Up said:

Osodecentx said:

Amal Shuq-Up said:

Rawhide said:

----

You seem to blame renewable energy for the rolling blackouts of 2121
Osodecentx
Bexar Pitts said:

Osodecentx said:

Amal Shuq-Up said:

Osodecentx said:

Amal Shuq-Up said:

Rawhide said:

----

Oso, I know you're well informed in this area..This article was from late last year on RRC actions on natgas ... https://www.texastribune.org/2021/11/30/texas-natural-gas-winter-storm-pow/#:~:text=Texas%20regulators%20pass%20rule%20aimed,off%20during%20future%20winter%20storms&text=Those%20gas%20companies%20will%20be,as%20a%20severe%20winter%20storm.
Good article. I had not seen it
GrowlTowel
Osodecentx said:

Amal Shuq-Up said:

Osodecentx said:

Amal Shuq-Up said:

Osodecentx said:

Amal Shuq-Up said:

Rawhide said:

----

I always suspected you were a time traveler.
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Wrecks Quan Dough
Osodecentx said:

Amal Shuq-Up said:

Osodecentx said:

Amal Shuq-Up said:

Osodecentx said:

Amal Shuq-Up said:

Rawhide said:

----

It didn't help. When we needed energy most, renewables never left the sideline.
Osodecentx
Amal Shuq-Up said:

Osodecentx said:

Amal Shuq-Up said:

Osodecentx said:

Amal Shuq-Up said:

Osodecentx said:

Amal Shuq-Up said:

Rawhide said:

----

It didn't help. When we needed energy most, renewables never left the sideline.
We counted on renewables for about 10% of the energy wended; they delivered 5%. We counted on gas to deliver about 55% of the energy we needed; they delivered about 30%. We even had a nuke trip offline and coal plants whose coal froze solid and tripped offing.
Osodecentx
GrowlTowel said:

Osodecentx said:

Amal Shuq-Up said:

Osodecentx said:

Amal Shuq-Up said:

Osodecentx said:

Amal Shuq-Up said:

Rawhide said:

----

I always suspected you were a time traveler.
Wait til you see what happens in November, 2024...
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.