Ukraine invaded by Putin

67,859 Views | 1093 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by HuMcK
KOKQB70
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How long will this last, # people killed, and what will Biden do?
FLBear5630
KOKQB70 said:

How long will this last, # people killed, and what will Biden do?

Ask Goldmind, Mothra and the ilk, after all it is all a bluff and really doesn't matter anyway. It is only Ukraine, afterall. Any agreements in writing or implied weren't binding. Isn't that a nice logo to live by!
Whiskey Pete
So honest question, do y'all think this is the start of what will eventually turn into WWIII?
FLBear5630
Rawhide said:

So honest question, do y'all think this is the start of what will eventually turn into WWIII?

Always starts this way. Take something not worth fight for. Consolidate allies. I would bet this expands.

I would say next test case for us to fail is the Baltics. Will we actually go to war over the Baltics? Watch, you will start to hear the cries is it really worth fighting over Latvia or Lithuania? Watch Lithuania, Russian Kalingrad is surrounded by Lithuania and Poland. Next stop on the Putin tour for us to say really go to war over that?

China moved on Taiwan, it us on. Watch South Korea. Watch India/Russian border. South China Sea. Phillipines. Arctic.

It could go quick if Putin and Xi decided the calculus says this is the time and get what they want.

Are there any trips wires outside of US space that would prompt a response? Not according to.many here.
Doc Holliday
Canon
Rawhide said:

Ask Kaiser Von Wilhelm. Smaller events have precipitated greater calamities.
muddybrazos
None of this would be happening if the US under Obama and at the behest of Soros didn't do a color revolution in Ukraine to install their puppet lap dog. So BIden and Co can just look in the mirror to place blame.
ShooterTX
This is so ridiculous.
Putin takes Crimea under the weak Obama.
Putin invades Ukraine under the weak Biden.
Yet there are morons who believe that Trump was weak??

In a few months, Xi will begin his move on Taiwan. Then he will look at Indonesia and Malaysia. He will claim to be going there to bring stability to the chaos.

I doubt Putin will directly invade a NATO ally, but that really depends upon how sleepy Joe responds to Ukraine. If he continues to project weakness, then Putin might go after the Czech Republic, Serbia, and some other eastern block nations.

It won't be a World War if Biden just rolls over like Chamberlain did in the 1930s... which sounds like the most likely scenario.

This is what happens when you eject a moron who claims that white supremacy and climate change are the greatest threats to America. Biden is either a fool, or evil... take your pick. Either he was too stupid to recognize the true threats, or he is an evil ******* who lied about the true threats.
Either way, democrats have given us this disaster when they voted for this idiot.
ShooterTX
FLBear5630
ShooterTX said:

This is so ridiculous.

In a few months, Xi will begin his move on Taiwan. Then he will look at Indonesia and Malaysia. He will claim to be going there to bring stability to the chaos.

I doubt Putin will directly invade a NATO ally, but that really depends upon how sleepy Joe responds to Ukraine. If he continues to project weakness, then Putin might go after the Czech Republic, Serbia, and some other eastern block nations.

It won't be a World War if Biden just rolls over like Chamberlain did in the 1930s... which sounds like the most likely scenario.

This is what happens when you eject a moron who claims that white supremacy and climate change are the greatest threats to America. Biden is either a fool, or evil... take your pick. Either he was too stupid to recognize the true threats, or he is an evil ******* who lied about the true threats.
Either way, democrats have given us this disaster when they voted for this idiot.

Yeah Putin owned Trump? Didn't see tanks roll on his watch.
I think Putin will challenge NATO commitment in a lithuania and then other Baltic states. Poland i think is a bridge too far.
BearFan33
Although appeasement has been a historical mistake, I don't think this turns into WW3.

If China starts aggressively attacking its neighbors it would be appropriate to revisit the WW3 question.

Ukraine may go relatively quick, but I have read that anyone with a complaint against Russia may have already flocked there to disrupt/stymie Russia's plan. If Russia takes over and is a prolonged occupying force, things could get ugly.
Jack Bauer
This aged well...

Doc Holliday
BearFan33 said:

Although appeasement has been a historical mistake, I don't think this turns into WW3.

If China starts aggressively attacking its neighbors it would be appropriate to revisit the WW3 question.

Ukraine may go relatively quick, but I have read that anyone with a complaint against Russia may have already flocked there to disrupt/stymie Russia's plan. If Russia takes over and is a prolonged occupying force, things could get ugly.
China is absolutely going to take advantage of Russia-Ukraine and the current administration.

There's already reports of Chinese military aircraft in Taiwan.

Europe is 40% dependent on Russian gas. Russia will halt it and Europe will have an economic crisis due to insane energy prices.

Joe Biden is going to fail every step of the way just like he already has, Buckle up.
HuMcK
Doc Holliday said:

BearFan33 said:

China is absolutely going to take advantage of Russia-Ukraine and the current administration.

The current admin isn't the one that handed leadership of the TPP (a deal originally designed to constrain China) over to China, and boy wouldn't that be a pretty useful tool to have right about now or at any point during the failed trade war we got nothing out of...
DancinBear09
I think it's going to be really, really bad.

Couple scenarios:

1) Russia smashes Ukrainian infrastructure (political, military) and chooses to maintain a military presence. Then an insurgency develops a la Iraq for us. Quagmire. Massive loss of life.

2) Russia smashes and gets to the negotiating table. Withdraws. Ukraine under Russian umbrella. Insurgency develops. Less loss of life.
Jack Bauer
Robert Wilson
RMF5630 said:

Rawhide said:

Always starts this way. Take something not worth fight for. Consolidate allies. I would bet this expands.

I would say next test case for us to fail is the Baltics. Will we actually go to war over the Baltics? Watch, you will start to hear the cries is it really worth fighting over Latvia or Lithuania? Watch Lithuania, Russian Kalingrad is surrounded by Lithuania and Poland. Next stop on the Putin tour for us to say really go to war over that?

China moved on Taiwan, it us on. Watch South Korea. Watch India/Russian border. South China Sea. Phillipines. Arctic.

It could go quick if Putin and Xi decided the calculus says this is the time and get what they want.

Are there any trips wires outside of US space that would prompt a response? Not according to.many here.
IMO, Russia would have to go further west before we would have the appetite to do anything. Baltics wouldn't get us moving. Now, if Putin heads to Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary ... maybe.

Hopefully we can get Biden out of there before anything escalates that far. The only thing worse than Biden doing nothing is Biden doing something. He could fk up a 2 car funeral procession.

That, of course, is why Putin and Xi are hot to trot now. They've witnessed that we have become a silly nation fully of silly people and led by a silly leader. They've got a nice 3-year window before we can even marginally fix it.
Jack Bauer
Doc Holliday
HuMcK said:

Doc Holliday said:

BearFan33 said:

The current admin isn't the one that handed leadership of the TPP (a deal originally designed to constrain China) over to China, and boy wouldn't that be a pretty useful tool to have right about now or at any point during the failed trade war we got nothing out of...
Naive.

I'm not a big Shapiro fan, but he's right.
BearFan33
Where is Joe Biden's announcement and plan?
ShooterTX
DancinBear09 said:

I think it's going to be really, really bad.

Couple scenarios:

1) Russia smashes Ukrainian infrastructure (political, military) and chooses to maintain a military presence. Then an insurgency develops a la Iraq for us. Quagmire. Massive loss of life.

2) Russia smashes and gets to the negotiating table. Withdraws. Ukraine under Russian umbrella. Insurgency develops. Less loss of life.

If Russia occupied Ukraine, it will be with brutality unknown in Iraq or Afghanistan. He won't attempt to create a locally lead police force, democracy and economy. There will be zero liberty. It will be just like it was in the Soviet days.
One thing that worked in those days was the ability to squash ALL uprisings.
It is foolish to try and compare Iraq to Ukraine. The levels of control and brutality will be unlike anything seen by Americans. Anyone who wants individual liberty in Ukraine has either fled, or is in their car right now trying to get to Poland. There won't be anyone left behind to create anything resembling an armed resistance.

If you were correct, then Crimea would be a quagmire for Russia.. which has not happened.
ShooterTX
DancinBear09
RMF5630 said:

ShooterTX said:

This is so ridiculous.

I think Putin will challenge NATO commitment in a lithuania and then other Baltic states. Poland i think is a bridge too far.

I think Putin saw somewhat of ally in Trump (in a way unbeknownst to Trump). I feel Putin' plan was to play into Trump's narcissistic pathology by providing complements and "buddying up" to Trump in an effort to manipulate Trump's influence on NATO and the rest of the European PMs to get them to cool down or kill discussions about Ukraine joining NATO. That never ended up happening, Biden became president, and I imagine he saw Biden as somewhat of a weak enough leader to where he could flex his military might with little to no military reprisal from the West. Make no mistake about it though, this is 30 years in the making. Ukraine has slowly been gravitating towards Western influence for years. The have been begging to join NATO, they ousted a Russian loyalist PM out of office, and the West has not denied The possibility of Ukraine's admittance into NATO. Putin sees this as a huge threat and feels this is is last option.
ShooterTX
BearFan33 said:

Where is Joe Biden's announcement and plan?

Don't interrupt nap time.
ShooterTX
Jacques Strap
I think we know who he is talking to. Good thing our power grid, banking technology etc. is 100% bullet proof.

Doc Holliday
Joe Biden needs to wake the **** up.

Jacques Strap
Doc Holliday said:

Rest assured Joe Biden and staff are working on a sternly-worded letter right now.
Jack Bauer
White supremacist invades white country....

ScruffyD
this does not have to be such a d!ck measuring contest.

a lot of things brought us to today, plenty of "blame" to go around, for lack of a better word.

what we should do is be unified as a country in our support for another democracy.

that didn't used to be so hard.
Jack Bauer
Jacques Strap said:

Doc Holliday said:

Rest assured Joe Biden and staff are working on a sternly-worded letter right now.
I guess Putin did not read this tweet?

Doc Holliday
ShooterTX
DancinBear09 said:

RMF5630 said:

ShooterTX said:

This is so ridiculous.

I think Putin saw somewhat of ally in Trump (in a way unbeknownst to Trump). I feel Putin' plan was to play into Trump's narcissistic pathology by providing complements and "buddying up" to Trump in an effort to manipulate Trump's influence on NATO and the rest of the European PMs to get them to cool down or kill discussions about Ukraine joining NATO. That never ended up happening, Biden became president, and I imagine he saw Biden as somewhat of a weak enough leader to where he could flex his military might with little to no military reprisal from the West. Make no mistake about it though, this is 30 years in the making. Ukraine has slowly been gravitating towards Western influence for years. The have been begging to join NATO, they ousted a Russian loyalist PM out of office, and the West has not denied The possibility of Ukraine's admittance into NATO. Putin sees this as a huge threat and feels this is is last option.

Revisionist history.
The closest Ukraine came to joining NATO was before Trump. By the time Trump came to office, Putin already had Crimea. Trump was doing all he could to keep Putin contained, but by that time Ukraine was split on the idea of joining NATO. Many in Ukraine believed joining would antagonize Russia, and lead to a full invasion and full war. Many in Ukraine didn't want their nation to become the battle front for WW3... they would rather hope for peaceful coexistence with Russia. That worked for a few years, until America "elected" one of the weakest presidents in history.
Now Putin faces no resistance, and can easily gain ground & resources. He also gains a huge bargaining chip for the next round of negotiations with the west.
Obama made it possible to take Crimea and now Biden makes it possible to take Ukraine. Trump was a deterrent while he was in office. The idea that Putin liked Trump is stupid. Putin gained nothing under Trump... how was that good for him?
ShooterTX
DancinBear09
ScruffyD said:

this does not have to be such a d!ck measuring contest.

a lot of things brought us to today, plenty of "blame" to go around, for lack of a better word.

what we should do is be unified as a country in our support for another democracy.

that didn't used to be so hard.

Yep, that's what Patriotism used to look like before it turned into a bumper sticker slogan on a F-250 w/ truck nuts.
BellCountyBear
Rawhide said:

I honestly hope so. Let's wrap it up.
HuMcK
ShooterTX said:

DancinBear09 said:

RMF5630 said:

ShooterTX said:

This is so ridiculous.

Revisionist history.
The closest Ukraine came to joining NATO was before Trump. By the time Trump came to office, Putin already had Crimea. Trump was doing all he could to keep Putin contained, but by that time Ukraine was split on the idea of joining NATO. Many in Ukraine believed joining would antagonize Russia, and lead to a full invasion and full war. Many in Ukraine didn't want their nation to become the battle front for WW3... they would rather hope for peaceful coexistence with Russia. That worked for a few years, until America "elected" one of the weakest presidents in history.
Now Putin faces no resistance, and can easily gain ground & resources. He also gains a huge bargaining chip for the next round of negotiations with the west.
Obama made it possible to take Crimea and now Biden makes it possible to take Ukraine. Trump was a deterrent while he was in office. The idea that Putin liked Trump is stupid. Putin gained nothing under Trump... how was that good for him?

Trump's first campaign manager, that he pardoned to conceal the substance of that man's contact with a Russian spy, was Russian puppet Viktor Yanukovyich's top adviser. Trump's idea of "containment" was to relieve pressure on Russia by handing them back Syria (I wonder how many of those forces that were once tied down in Syria are now in Ukraine?) and withholding military aid from Ukraine as part of an extortion plot.

Has Trump even criticized the latest invasion yet? He had no problem whining about Hillary while the Russian buildup made it obvious what was about to happen. I've heard him call Putin a genius and praise the move, but I haven't heard him condemn anything yet. That conspicuous silence, while saying so much else, speaks volumes.
DancinBear09
ShooterTX said:

DancinBear09 said:

RMF5630 said:

ShooterTX said:

This is so ridiculous.

Revisionist history.

The annexation of Crimea was a direct response to the ouster of Yanukovych after he refused to sign a very popular trade agreement w/ the EU in Feb of 2014. As for Trump, he is pathologically susceptible to manipulation through flattery. It's been shown time and time again he will do things for you if you shower him w/ praise. Putin was hopeful that Trump would help him w/ the EU/NATO on Ukraine and Trump didn't press the issue.
Cobretti

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.