Ministry of Truth

34,753 Views | 650 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Cobretti
LIB,MR BEARS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

For another example, think of red flag laws. As you probably know, they allow the government to temporarily confiscate a firearm if it's determined that the owner is a danger to himself or others. This raises some obvious concerns. How do they determine who's a danger? What if there's bias or prejudice? What if they use the determination as a pretext to disarm political enemies? These are valid questions because the government has the power to confiscate in some circumstances. We know that because the law says so.

Now suppose the DHS board has the power to censor your speech if and when it's determined that you're spreading Russian disinformation. Again, there are similar concerns. Who makes the determination? What if that person has a partisan bias? What if they use the determination as a pretext to silence political enemies? These are all valid questions if in fact the board has the power to censor. But no one can tell me where this power is. If it exists, shouldn't someone be able to identify it?
You're using an outdated concept of information control. Censorship is antiquated and difficult. Instead, this is targeting citizens directly in venues where organizations like Hamas, the Taliban, and dozens of others that function to undermine the US operate freely.

The power is the pulpit and trend manipulation that uses the same tools the aforementioned bad actors do. Without one use of legal action or order, we've seen how chosen voices are silenced with the support of government narrative. You think it's warranted. I think it's dangerous to freedom. This is one script of how populism destroys freedom, but instead of a ballot it's a like or share.
Why should we care if it's targeting enemy territory? It's not like they don't target us. That's all part of the game.

I do object to social media companies getting special treatment as free forums while acting as de facto publishers. Add the influence of a government fact arbiter, and I agree there could be a problem. But influence isn't control, much less censorship, and calling it that doesn't make it so. The solution isn't to unilaterally disarm ourselves in the information war.
Dads don't control us. They influence us.

Drunks don't control cars. They influence them.

Information doesn't control us. Information influences us

Publishers don't control information. They... oh wait. Yes they do.

Judas hung himself....

...Go , and do likewise

Publishers simply don't have that kind of power. /s
Whiskey Pete
Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

For another example, think of red flag laws. As you probably know, they allow the government to temporarily confiscate a firearm if it's determined that the owner is a danger to himself or others. This raises some obvious concerns. How do they determine who's a danger? What if there's bias or prejudice? What if they use the determination as a pretext to disarm political enemies? These are valid questions because the government has the power to confiscate in some circumstances. We know that because the law says so.

Now suppose the DHS board has the power to censor your speech if and when it's determined that you're spreading Russian disinformation. Again, there are similar concerns. Who makes the determination? What if that person has a partisan bias? What if they use the determination as a pretext to silence political enemies? These are all valid questions if in fact the board has the power to censor. But no one can tell me where this power is. If it exists, shouldn't someone be able to identify it?
Yeah, they probably won't lean on big tech (or flat out threaten) to censor conservative speech while labeling it Russian disinformation.

I mean, its not like the government has ever lied to us before
But can they censor conservative speech? Otherwise it would be an empty threat, would it not?
I guess you believe the government never oversteps its authority or targets groups of people
https://www.npr.org/2017/10/27/560308997/irs-apologizes-for-aggressive-scrutiny-of-conservative-groups
https://www.taftlaw.com/news-events/law-bulletins/breaking-supreme-court-halts-osha-mandate
https://www.americanbar.org/groups/business_law/publications/blt/2021/09/eviction-moratorium/

Doesn't matter if they "can", we know they will.

Sure, the dems won't admit it and they label it something innocuous like "disinformation" board. They'll convince you (looks like they already have) that's it's no big deal. That they just want to make sure we're fighting "foreign" disinformation, that there's nothing to see here. This board will start small then it will grow in size and power and will eventually look and act completely different than when it started out.

it's not like democrats want to regulate speech or anything
https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/01/us/nyc-illegal-alien-discrimination-guidance/index.html

Hell, you have a private citizen that agrees to buy a company in part to fight for freedom of speech, then you have democrats saying that regulation has to be part of the answer to fight disinformation online and now a new governance board will be formed - under the DHS no less, a enforcement arm of the federal gov't.

Only an idiot can't see what's going on here. So, I'm not surprised your compltely oblivious.
4th and Inches
Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

Yeah, they probably won't lean on big tech (or flat out threaten) to censor conservative speech while labeling it Russian disinformation.

But can they censor conservative speech? Otherwise it would be an empty threat, would it not?
I guess you believe the government never oversteps its authority or targets groups of people
https://www.npr.org/2017/10/27/560308997/irs-apologizes-for-aggressive-scrutiny-of-conservative-groups
https://www.taftlaw.com/news-events/law-bulletins/breaking-supreme-court-halts-osha-mandate
https://www.americanbar.org/groups/business_law/publications/blt/2021/09/eviction-moratorium/

Sure, the dems won't admit it and they label it something innocuous like "disinformation" board. They'll convince you (looks like they already have) that's it's no big deal. That they just want to make sure we're fighting "foreign" disinformation, that there's nothing to see here. This board will start small then it will grow in size and power and will eventually look and act completely different than when it started out.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/01/us/nyc-illegal-alien-discrimination-guidance/index.html

Hell, you have a private citizen that agrees to buy a company in part to fight for freedom of speech, then you have democrats saying that regulation has to be part of the answer to fight disinformation online and now a new governance board will be formed - under the DHS no less, a enforcement arm of the federal gov't.

Only an idiot can't see what's going on here. So, I'm not surprised your compltely oblivious.

sam is anything but oblivious..

Sam is smart. Sam is well read. Sam is.. Sam. I will let yall get back to it.
nein51
Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

cowboycwr said:

Sam Lowry said:

cowboycwr said:

Sam Lowry said:

cowboycwr said:

Sam Lowry said:

What exactly is this "ministry" going to be doing that you think is unconstitutional?
What do you think they will do when they determine something in the media, a social media post, a book, etc to be disinformation? Ban it? Require private companies to put a disclaimer on it?

How do you honestly not see an issue with the government regulating speech?
I would see an issue if that's what they were doing. Evidently it is not.
Then what will they do?

And I will ask again, how can you be ok with a government agency that will regulate speech?
They don't regulate speech. Maybe you have them confused with the FCC?
This new disinformation board will certainly try to regulate speech.
100%. That's its primary reason for existence - to reign in people or ideas that run afoul of the administration. They've already been working on expanding the definition of terrorist to include "people who don't agree with me."
And you know this because…
Because we have seen what makes democrats cheer. We have seen how leftists behave when they have censorship power, which led to needing the worlds richest man buying Twitter to stop them. All your "why don't you trust democrats with this power? They've done nothing to betray our trust" talk is just strange.
I'm glad you brought up this censorship "power" again, because that's what I'm trying to ask about. The government can only enforce something if there's something to enforce - a statute, regulation, order, or something of that nature. Can you point me to the authority on which this power is supposedly based?

Anyone?
If you cant point to anything to enforce then there is really no need at all for this government board. If they have no authority and no power then we should all agree that the last thing we need is another government employee on the payroll.

I think this simply boils down to how much do you trust the government to do the right thing. My trust is very low. If your trust is high then I think one could reasonably assume this is a big nothingburger.

I have two main issues:
1) anything that expands the government should not be so easily willed into existence in a week and I would argue that almost all expansion of government should a non-starter.

2) I cant look at a panel of people who are willing to pedal their own misinformation (Russia, Laptop, Men can have children...sorry can become birthing people) and assume that they will simply do the right thing. As it turns out people, from *both* parties, ALWAYS have their own self interest at heart and bias is very strong.

You have a test case right now. Overturning Roe does not end abortion. It does give power back to the states to choose. Go fire up Twitter and read the trending news, literally every story is about abortion becoming illegal. There is a very fine line between misinformation and slanted truth. For the CNNs of the world a headline that reads "Abortion to become illegal" is worth much more than a headline that reads "Overturning Roe would give power back to the states...". Both headlines are essentially true. It would become illegal in some states for sure...it would also give power back to the states which would make it illegal in some places.

I dont want anyone telling me which of those headlines is "true".

The sad part is that, at it's core most of this boils down to the fact that people are insanely stupid. Like unbelievably dumb. This is what happens when we tell people to live "their truth" and begin to allow a man to put on a dress and call himself a woman. If you can be whatever you want then there are no truths everything is malleable. Fiction becomes "fact".
Harrison Bergeron
nein51 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

cowboycwr said:

Sam Lowry said:

cowboycwr said:

Sam Lowry said:

cowboycwr said:

Sam Lowry said:

What exactly is this "ministry" going to be doing that you think is unconstitutional?
What do you think they will do when they determine something in the media, a social media post, a book, etc to be disinformation? Ban it? Require private companies to put a disclaimer on it?

How do you honestly not see an issue with the government regulating speech?
I would see an issue if that's what they were doing. Evidently it is not.
Then what will they do?

And I will ask again, how can you be ok with a government agency that will regulate speech?
They don't regulate speech. Maybe you have them confused with the FCC?
This new disinformation board will certainly try to regulate speech.
100%. That's its primary reason for existence - to reign in people or ideas that run afoul of the administration. They've already been working on expanding the definition of terrorist to include "people who don't agree with me."
And you know this because…
Because we have seen what makes democrats cheer. We have seen how leftists behave when they have censorship power, which led to needing the worlds richest man buying Twitter to stop them. All your "why don't you trust democrats with this power? They've done nothing to betray our trust" talk is just strange.
I'm glad you brought up this censorship "power" again, because that's what I'm trying to ask about. The government can only enforce something if there's something to enforce - a statute, regulation, order, or something of that nature. Can you point me to the authority on which this power is supposedly based?

Anyone?
If you cant point to anything to enforce then there is really no need at all for this government board. If they have no authority and no power then we should all agree that the last thing we need is another government employee on the payroll.

I think this simply boils down to how much do you trust the government to do the right thing. My trust is very low. If your trust is high then I think one could reasonably assume this is a big nothingburger.

I have two main issues:
1) anything that expands the government should not be so easily willed into existence in a week and I would argue that almost all expansion of government should a non-starter.

2) I cant look at a panel of people who are willing to pedal their own misinformation (Russia, Laptop, Men can have children...sorry can become birthing people) and assume that they will simply do the right thing. As it turns out people, from *both* parties, ALWAYS have their own self interest at heart and bias is very strong.

You have a test case right now. Overturning Roe does not end abortion. It does give power back to the states to choose. Go fire up Twitter and read the trending news, literally every story is about abortion becoming illegal. There is a very fine line between misinformation and slanted truth. For the CNNs of the world a headline that reads "Abortion to become illegal" is worth much more than a headline that reads "Overturning Roe would give power back to the states...". Both headlines are essentially true. It would become illegal in some states for sure...it would also give power back to the states which would make it illegal in some places.

I dont want anyone telling me which of those headlines is "true".

The sad part is that, at it's core most of this boils down to the fact that people are insanely stupid. Like unbelievably dumb. This is what happens when we tell people to live "their truth" and begin to allow a man to put on a dress and call himself a woman. If you can be whatever you want then there are no truths everything is malleable. Fiction becomes "fact".
This is exactly right. It is naive to think that the government suppresses information exclusively via formal channels. This just gives a false air of authority to what occurs to day. If the regime wants to suppress information unfavorable to its agenda, it can mark it as "disinformation" and its private sector partners will comply and suppress. It basically is cover for the regime media and social media to actively suppress unfavorable information under the guise of "disinformation."

The Hunter Biden laptop is the purest example. Komisar Poppins labeled it "Russian disinformation." #experts
Sam Lowry
They're acting under the Homeland Security Act of 2002, same as the rest of DHS. There's nothing in that law that gives them the power to do the things people are talking about here, so the question is whether any new law has been passed that would authorize such. Of course there hasn't been. What basically happened is that DHS formed a new committee to do the same old stuff, and people are freaking out over the name.

The left and the right are both saying flat out insane things these days. I don't completely trust either of them. But we do have a president, and he runs the executive branch. Presumably he at least tries to appoint people who can do their jobs. I think he's entitled to a modicum of trust in that respect, just as Trump was.
ATL Bear
Sam Lowry said:

ATL Bear said:

Sam Lowry said:

You're using an outdated concept of information control. Censorship is antiquated and difficult. Instead, this is targeting citizens directly in venues where organizations like Hamas, the Taliban, and dozens of others that function to undermine the US operate freely.

The power is the pulpit and trend manipulation that uses the same tools the aforementioned bad actors do. Without one use of legal action or order, we've seen how chosen voices are silenced with the support of government narrative. You think it's warranted. I think it's dangerous to freedom. This is one script of how populism destroys freedom, but instead of a ballot it's a like or share.
Why should we care if it's targeting enemy territory? It's not like they don't target us. That's all part of the game.

I do object to social media companies getting special treatment as free forums while acting as de facto publishers. Add the influence of a government fact arbiter, and I agree there could be a problem. But influence isn't control, much less censorship, and calling it that doesn't make it so. The solution isn't to unilaterally disarm ourselves in the information war.
We are far from disarmed in the information war. It's just unusual to turn those arms on our own citizens.

Influence is control in a marketplace of thousands claiming to be "social influencers". That's the new world, and how the tide of narratives is manipulated. It's not censorship in a traditional sense, but it is a way to control the distribution of information and ideas.
Canada2017
4th and Inches said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

Sam Lowry said:

sam is anything but oblivious..

Sam is smart. Sam is well read. Sam is.. Sam. I will let yall get back to it.
Sam likes to play twister and go fetch the bone .

No thanks .
Doc Holliday
Sam Lowry said:

When I say they're going to be a mouthpiece, that's not direct power over others. They're not shutting down free speech or silencing anyone through direct force. It's indirect power at hand.

Jen Psaki says the board will "prevent disinformation and misinformation from traveling around the country in a range of communities". My understanding of how the DGB will operate is them making public statements about topics they deem are misinformation.

Imagine that they existed last year and issued a statement saying Hunters laptop is Russian disinformation. Then the vast majority of media points to their statement and says "anyone claiming hunters laptop is real is pushing foreign disinformation per the DGB". In that scenario the actual truth gets shut down. It changes public perception and influences elections.

Boiled down, we can't have the federal government being an arbiter of truth that our society points to as factual.
nein51
Sam Lowry said:

They're acting under the Homeland Security Act of 2002, same as the rest of DHS. There's nothing in that law that gives them the power to do the things people are talking about here, so the question is whether any new law has been passed that would authorize such. Of course there hasn't been. What basically happened is that DHS formed a new committee to do the same old stuff, and people are freaking out over the name.

The left and the right are both saying flat out insane things these days. I don't completely trust either of them. But we do have a president, and he runs the executive branch. Presumably he at least tries to appoint people who can do their jobs. I think he's entitled to a modicum of trust in that respect, just as Trump was.
People are freaking out over the name because "truth" is a variable thing these days. DHS and most of Homeland are worthless organizations full of bloat. The TSA is part of DHS, for example. I dont want any expansion of DHS and you could make plenty of arguments that neither Homeland nor DHS should even exist.

He can have exactly as much trust as I gave Trump...just this side of zero.
Sam Lowry
Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

When I say they're going to be a mouthpiece, that's not direct power over others. They're not shutting down free speech or silencing anyone through direct force. It's indirect power at hand.

Jen Psaki says the board will "prevent disinformation and misinformation from traveling around the country in a range of communities". My understanding of how the DGB will operate is them making public statements about topics they deem are misinformation.

Imagine that they existed last year and issued a statement saying Hunters laptop is Russian disinformation. Then the vast majority of media points to their statement and says "anyone claiming hunters laptop is real is pushing foreign disinformation per the DGB". In that scenario the actual truth gets shut down. It changes public perception and influences elections.

Boiled down, we can't have the federal government being an arbiter of truth that our society points to as factual.
I don't think there was ever an official determination whether the laptop was Russian disinformation. There were just people giving first impressions and speculating on TV. If the board had existed at the time and made a determination, they would have used a specific set of criteria and been accountable for the results. I don't see that as a bad thing.
nein51
You cant unring a bell. When TV and social media spent 24 hour news cycles calling it disinformation or "fake news" the water was already poisoned. You can print a retraction on page 3 but you cant undo what you did. They will never be able to be out in front of a story so everything they do will be a reaction...at that point it's really too late.
Doc Holliday
Sam Lowry said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

I don't think there was ever an official determination whether the laptop was Russian disinformation. There were just people giving first impressions and speculating on TV. If the board had existed at the time and made a determination, they would have used a specific set of criteria and been accountable for the results. I don't see that as a bad thing.
Nina Jankowicz, who will head the DGB helped dismiss the Hunter Biden laptop in 2020 by saying "we should view it as a Trump campaign product."

She didn't use a specific set of criteria to make that determination and felt comfortable telling the public a lie. So I'm supposed to believe under the DGB her behavior will change and there will be checks and balances?

I don't buy that man. The fact that they could be wrong is enough for me to say they shouldn't exist.
Sam Lowry
Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sam Lowry said:

Nina Jankowicz, who will head the DGB helped dismiss the Hunter Biden laptop in 2020 by saying "we should view it as a Trump campaign product."

She didn't use a specific set of criteria to make that determination and felt comfortable telling the public a lie. So I'm supposed to believe under the DGB her behavior will change and there will be checks and balances?

I don't buy that man. The fact that they could be wrong is enough for me to say they shouldn't exist.
This goes back to the difference between fact and opinion. Jankowicz was asked for an opinion based on limited information. What she said, according to the AP article, is that there were multiple red flags, doubts about the emails' authenticity, and questions about whether the laptop actually belonged to HB. Saying it was a campaign product doesn't necessarily mean it was fake. It means that it came to light through the efforts of Giuliani and Bannon, and that was the context to keep in mind as the reports were evaluated. None of these were lies. They were all valid points. And we still don't know how much of the laptop's contents are authentic. There is evidence that some of the material may have been forged or tampered with. The real problems at the time were the mainstream media's slowness to investigate the laptop and social media's censorship of the topic. Those were far more troubling than anything Jankowicz said or did.
Cobretti
Cobretti
whitetrash
Cobretti said:

To be fair, Mayorkas doesn't know a lot of things, including the difference between his *ss and a hole in the ground.
Robert Wilson
whitetrash said:

Cobretti said:

To be fair, Mayorkas doesn't know a lot of things, including the difference between his *ss and a hole in the ground.
Hard to sort out what he does not know from what he just claims he does not know.

But Sam would say Mayorkas must do his job and be truthful (neither of which he's doing).
Sam Lowry
Robert Wilson said:

whitetrash said:

Cobretti said:

Hard to sort out what he does not know from what he just claims he does not know.

But Sam would say Mayorkas must do his job and be truthful (neither of which he's doing).
He couldn't have known those things because they're not true.

The disinformation reference was part of a series of live tweets reporting what Biden said during a presidential debate. The dossier reference was a tweet recommending a podcast featuring Steele, which she said "provides great historical context about the evolution of disinfo."
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

whitetrash said:

Cobretti said:

The disinformation reference was part of a series of live tweets reporting what Biden said during a presidential debate. The dossier reference was a tweet recommending a podcast featuring Steele, which she said "provides great historical context about the evolution of disinfo."
FormerFlash
Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

whitetrash said:

Cobretti said:

Same energy.
Sam Lowry
FormerFlash said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

whitetrash said:

Cobretti said:

Same energy.
I agree…the senator was twisting the facts every which way.
Cobretti
LIB,MR BEARS
Cobretti said:

they don't even try to disguise it anymore
Cobretti
Robert Wilson
100%

The fox is going to guard the hen house
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

FormerFlash said:

Sam Lowry said:

Robert Wilson said:

whitetrash said:

Cobretti said:

Same energy.
I agree…the senator was twisting the facts every which way.
You are an absolute clown.
Sam Lowry
Rand is making an ass of himself as usual.
Wangchung
Cobretti said:

It's always beautiful when all the rhetoric and lies get brought into the light in these moments and we get to watch leftists squirm and sweat. The only thing funnier are the people who deny what we ALL see and claim Mayorkus did anything but embarrass himself and all democrats.
Oldbear83
Sam Lowry said:

Rand is I am making an ass of himmyself as usual.
Corrected for accuracy
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Cobretti
Doc Holliday
Sam Lowry said:

He's the only politician I actually like.

Your opinions are straight up the same as legacy media. What's going on man?
Forest Bueller_bf
Cobretti said:

Wow, these people have completely jumped the rails.

Forest Bueller_bf
Cobretti said:

So what is illegal or even unusual about any of the above she is mentioning.

Is she so obtuse she ingnores the bull**** that comes out of her mouth and others of her ilk. As if everything she say or her ilk says is actually true.

How are you going to outlaw or censor opinions. Why would you do it? What is the profit? Shutting down dissent from "the movement"? Outlawing free speech?

This entire department is stupid and smacks of commies in charge.
Forest Bueller_bf
Sam Lowry said:

Actually Mayorkus was the one doing that.

What an ass clown to be in charge of anything.

This is bad stuff, the government needs to back off

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.