school shootings and what may be amiss

6,437 Views | 143 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by whiterock
joseywales
How long do you want to ignore this user?
19 Countries with the Most School Shootings (total incidents Jan 2009-May 2018.

I firmly believe in the right to own a firearm, however the freedom in this country that basically has no gun laws in many states will result in the above. The far right will tell you the government wants to take away your guns, propaganda pure and simple. This is what has kept common sense out of any legislation that might have saved lives. If any of us watches CNN or MSNBC or Fox news on a regular basis then be aware of the BS you are filling your mind with, you may as well live in Russia or China because it is pure non factual biased propaganda that is poisoning the minds of Americans on many issues. There is no black and white to any issue the answer is always in the middle somewhere. WE NEED BETTER GUN LAWS. Can you imagine if it were your child. Bad people kill others, guns don't, however as you look at facts like the above statistics there is a correlation between lax gun laws and school shootings. It is undeniable.

side note : why is this country as a whole getting less educated about the world and the universe instead of more informed thus changing mindsets away from superstitions and the beliefs we were brainwashed with as children. There is so much science out there that is amazing to discover, yet we wallow in our daily small and narrow scopes of the world. In the distant past I could find friends, coworkers strangers, that you could talk to about science, new positive stuff and have really intellectual conversations about important topics. In the last 8 years I can find no one who wants to talk about these things because they don't spend any time learning about them, so when you bring soemthing up about quantum physics or DNA discoveries that remove ignorance and superstition from our lives I just get a blank stare. Even on here I have had private conversations with people and they go back to belief systems and refuse to educate themselves. Just saying we live in an amazing time and maybe if we really made a daily effort to inform ourselves of who we are and where we came from and how amazing this world and all the billons of worlds out there are, it could help our own perspective and help us talk to each other instead standing staunchly with our belief systems and being so intolerant of others. I venture to guess the average American spends more time in one day watching BS on the internet or tv than they do in a year trying to educate themselves with the vast amount of discoveries we make each day in the world of science, medicine, quantum physics etc.
I'll leave you with a Mark Twain quote:

From LIFE magazine, March 22, 1883
When even the brightest mind in our world has been trained up from childhood in a superstition of any kind, it will never be possible for that mind, in its maturity, to examine sincerely, dispassionately, and conscientiously any evidence or any circumstance which shall seem to cast a doubt upon the validity of that superstition

Doc Holliday
Have you considered how they're tabulating school shootings in the US compared to other countries?

You might wanna do that because the data you've listed is extremely misleading.
Forest Bueller_bf
This is terrible, no doubt about it. Some common sense things can be done.

1) Schools are too easy to access for the most part. Both my brothers and sisters in laws are or were teachers, my wife was for about 5 years, never once did I go on a campus and even get a second glance.

Yes it is a pain and inconvenience to be more restricted, but accessing a school campus is too easy, this is the first line of defense. It needs to be more difficult to get onto school campuses.

2) The age of gun ownership should be raised to 21. All guns.

3) There should be a short waiting period to access a purchase so a complete background check can be made, including a mental health profile. If there are red flags on the mental health profile, then an in person mental evaluation should be done. The waiting period should be long enough for all these to be completed.

4) Reg flag laws, if a family member knows you are dangerous then they should be able to report this. Authorities need to take them seriously.

5) No private citizen needs a machine gun, or actual automatic rifle. I'm not talking about semi-auto here, there is a world of difference. There should be no loopholes to be able to make a rifle automatic.

Type of gun, beside a true automatic, is being made to be a bigger issue than it is. An AR-15 is just another rifle, there are plenty of semi-auto rifles more powerful. In this case, it's not the gun, but the person with the gun that is the issue.

GrowlTowel
End public schools. Several problems solved.
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
cowboycwr
That 288 number is flawed. It accounts for any and all shootings that happen on or near school property. A shooting in the middle of the night, on a weekend or in summer that happens in the street out front of a school is a school shooting.

Or the shooting last Thursday in Alabama where a school resource officer confronted a man trying to open car doors in the parking lot and trying to enter the building got into a physical fight with him and then shot him. It may have prevented children from getting harmed but is used as another tally in the school shooting category above.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Mexico has some of the toughest gun control laws in the world.

There were 19,384 homicide deaths from firearms in the U.S. in 2021. The population is about 332 million people.

There were 33,308 homicide deaths in Mexico in 2021. Mexico's population is around 125 million people.

If this doesn't convince you that strict gun control laws don't work, I'm not sure what will.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
JL
Forest Bueller_bf said:

This is terrible, no doubt about it. Some common sense things can be done.

1) Schools are too easy to access for the most part. Both my brothers and sisters in laws are or were teachers, my wife was for about 5 years, never once did I go on a campus and even get a second glance.

Yes it is a pain and inconvenience to be more restricted, but accessing a school campus is too easy, this is the first line of defense. It needs to be more difficult to get onto school campuses.

2) The age of gun ownership should be raised to 21. All guns.

3) There should be a short waiting period to access a purchase so a complete background check can be made, including a mental health profile. If there are red flags on the mental health profile, then an in person mental evaluation should be done. The waiting period should be long enough for all these to be completed.

4) Reg flag laws, if a family member knows you are dangerous then they should be able to report this. Authorities need to take them seriously.

5) No private citizen needs a machine gun, or actual automatic rifle. I'm not talking about semi-auto here, there is a world of difference. There should be no loopholes to be able to make a rifle automatic.

Type of gun, beside a true automatic, is being made to be a bigger issue than it is. An AR-15 is just another rifle, there are plenty of semi-auto rifles more powerful. In this case, it's not the gun, but the person with the gun that is the issue.

How about, no.

We're a world away from "shall not be infringed."
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Good luck. I brought pretty much the same data last week. The lives of others are not worth a gun nut not getting to sleep with, clean and ppkish it every day. Hiding it in his pocket while attending football games and parks. Its a compensation thing.

Other countries have cut their gun violence significantly by not letting every swinging dick with money buy one. Some men think they need it to feel manly i guess.

I agree with most of whst you say but no amount of dead students will change their need.. they will suggest schools with one door. (A school with 3000 students and locked door) they will suggest a set number of officers per student ( most complain about their taxes now) or they will want to arm teachers on one and call them groomers oth.j

Anything but limit guns and the people that can buy them. Which is the only thing that will work
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
GrowlTowel
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

Good luck. I brought pretty much the same data last week. The lives of others are not worth a gun nut not getting to sleep with, clean and ppkish it every day. Hiding it in his pocket while attending football games and parks. Its a compensation thing.

Other countries have cut their gun violence significantly by not letting every swinging dick with money buy one. Some men think they need it to feel manly i guess.

I agree with most of whst you say but no amount of dead students will change their need.. they will suggest schools with one door. (A school with 3000 students and locked door) they will suggest a set number of officers per student ( most complain about their taxes now) or they will want to arm teachers on one and call them groomers oth.j

Anything but limit guns and the people that can buy them. Which is the only thing that will work
Dang that Constitution. . .
JL

Gun rights are human rights, you bigot. How dare you assume gender; just because you have ***** doesn't make you a man anymore.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
I had someone tell me its a God given right. I have read the Bible through several times but havent found it yet.
BusyTarpDuster2017
joseywales said:

side note : why is this country as a whole getting less educated about the world and the universe instead of more informed thus changing mindsets away from superstitions and the beliefs we were brainwashed with as children..... so when you bring soemthing up about quantum physics or DNA discoveries that remove ignorance and superstition from our lives.....
Could you elaborate on the part above? What "superstitions' and "brainwashing" are you referring to, and exactly how do you think quantum physics or discoveries about DNA should remove them?
Harrison Bergeron
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

joseywales said:

side note : why is this country as a whole getting less educated about the world and the universe instead of more informed thus changing mindsets away from superstitions and the beliefs we were brainwashed with as children..... so when you bring soemthing up about quantum physics or DNA discoveries that remove ignorance and superstition from our lives.....
Could you elaborate on the part above? What "superstitions' and "brainwashing" are you referring to, and exactly how do you think quantum physics or discoveries about DNA should remove them?
I would appreciate the explication, but I suspect this is the line that "everyone who disagrees with me does not believe T'SCIENCE."

I agree with have the largest collection of highly educated idiots in the history of the world. I mean we have PhD's that cannot define what is a woman or believe a "sexy mama" mask from Wal-Mart can stop a virus. I think we've all seen online there is a group of people that believe they own T'SCIENCE ironically they generally tend to be opposed to data and results.
D. C. Bear
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

joseywales said:

Doesn't think there is a god, so any religion is "superstitions" and "brainwashing." OP cannot conceive that there might be something true outside of his or her own conclusions.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
GrowlTowel said:

Are yiu talking about the same constitution that supported slavery, outlawed liquor and allows abortions?
Harrison Bergeron
Bill Maher hits another home run.
BearN
joseywales said:

19 Countries with the Most School Shootings (total incidents Jan 2009-May 2018.

I firmly believe in the right to own a firearm, however the freedom in this country that basically has no gun laws in many states will result in the above. The far right will tell you the government wants to take away your guns, propaganda pure and simple. This is what has kept common sense out of any legislation that might have saved lives. If any of us watches CNN or MSNBC or Fox news on a regular basis then be aware of the BS you are filling your mind with, you may as well live in Russia or China because it is pure non factual biased propaganda that is poisoning the minds of Americans on many issues. There is no black and white to any issue the answer is always in the middle somewhere. WE NEED BETTER GUN LAWS. Can you imagine if it were your child. Bad people kill others, guns don't, however as you look at facts like the above statistics there is a correlation between lax gun laws and school shootings. It is undeniable.

side note : why is this country as a whole getting less educated about the world and the universe instead of more informed thus changing mindsets away from superstitions and the beliefs we were brainwashed with as children. There is so much science out there that is amazing to discover, yet we wallow in our daily small and narrow scopes of the world. In the distant past I could find friends, coworkers strangers, that you could talk to about science, new positive stuff and have really intellectual conversations about important topics. In the last 8 years I can find no one who wants to talk about these things because they don't spend any time learning about them, so when you bring soemthing up about quantum physics or DNA discoveries that remove ignorance and superstition from our lives I just get a blank stare. Even on here I have had private conversations with people and they go back to belief systems and refuse to educate themselves. Just saying we live in an amazing time and maybe if we really made a daily effort to inform ourselves of who we are and where we came from and how amazing this world and all the billons of worlds out there are, it could help our own perspective and help us talk to each other instead standing staunchly with our belief systems and being so intolerant of others. I venture to guess the average American spends more time in one day watching BS on the internet or tv than they do in a year trying to educate themselves with the vast amount of discoveries we make each day in the world of science, medicine, quantum physics etc.
I'll leave you with a Mark Twain quote:

From LIFE magazine, March 22, 1883
When even the brightest mind in our world has been trained up from childhood in a superstition of any kind, it will never be possible for that mind, in its maturity, to examine sincerely, dispassionately, and conscientiously any evidence or any circumstance which shall seem to cast a doubt upon the validity of that superstition

We need some better laws on background checks and some age restrictions, and we need to find some middle ground, but I disagree when you say it's "propaganda" to say there are those in power and those seeking power that want to talk away guns.

And your obsession with hating on those with faith is unhealthy.
Wrecks Quan Dough

I had someone tell me its a God given right. I have read the Bible through several times but havent found it yet.

It is a God given right to defend yourself from violent men and tyrants. You might spend more time in the law. The right to self defense is a concept grounded in Torah.
Wrecks Quan Dough

GrowlTowel said:

Are yiu talking about the same constitution that supported slavery, outlawed liquor and allows abortions?

And put Japanese in camps showing us all the need for weapons to protect ourselves against tyrants.
bearhouse
Amal Shuq-Up said:

It is a God given right to defend yourself from violent men and tyrants. You might spend more time in the law. The right to self defense is a concept grounded in Torah.
Before or after you've turned the other cheek?

"Teachers of my
early youth
Taught forgiveness
stressed the truth
Here then is my
Christian lack:
If I'm struck then
I'll strike back."

Maya Angelou
LIB,MR BEARS

GrowlTowel said:

I've read the constitution several times and cannot find any of those things. Will you point them out to me please?
Wrecks Quan Dough
bearhouse said:

Amal Shuq-Up said:

"Teachers of my
early youth
Taught forgiveness
stressed the truth
Here then is my
Christian lack:
If I'm struck then
I'll strike back."

Maya Angelou

Maya is not too sharp about self defense or the basis therefore. Her poetry is lackluster as well.
Canada2017
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Mexico has some of the toughest gun control laws in the world.

There were 19,384 homicide deaths from firearms in the U.S. in 2021. The population is about 332 million people.

There were 33,308 homicide deaths in Mexico in 2021. Mexico's population is around 125 million people.

If this doesn't convince you that strict gun control laws don't work, I'm not sure what will.

It is amazing how some people are determined to ignore this little piece of Mexican reality .

Bottom line.

Gun laws do not keep weapons out of the hands of the most dangerous, most violent, elements of society.

bearhouse
Amal Shuq-Up said:

bearhouse said:

Amal Shuq-Up said:

"Teachers of my
early youth
Taught forgiveness
stressed the truth
Here then is my
Christian lack:
If I'm struck then
I'll strike back."

Maya Angelou

Maya is not too sharp about self defense or the basis therefore. Her poetry is lackluster as well.
Perhaps Jesus should have studied to Torah more.
J.B.Katz
Arming teachers is not a good answer.

They are already social workers.

They have low pay versus the education required to do their job + the stress level of dealing with large numbers of children all day long, thousands of critics and no champions.

Many teachers I know spend their own money on classroom supplies.

They function as social workers and counselors-both guidance and personal-in additon to providing classroom instruction, without help, training or extra pay.

For many, including my mother-in-law, teaching is a vocation. Even after she retired, she taught English to recent immigrants for years as a volunteer, helping several Asian businessmen in her community learn to read, write and speak English.

They deserve to feel safe in the classroom without having to arm themselves with equipment they must buy and pay for (and the potential of liability if, God forbid, something goes wrong and a child in their classroom gets the gun and hurts himself or others). This is one of many reasons I think guns in classrooms are a very, very, very bad idea.

Reasonable gun regulations are not prohibited by the 2nd Amendment.

More guns do not = more safety.

Schools should be gun-free zones.

Most schools cannot offer a single entrance, thanks to years of under-investment. Many depend on temporary classrooms. Hell, my high school had those way back in 1970, when we had snowball fights on the way to geometry.

At some point, common sense needs to prevail over absolutist ideology that values gun rights far more than the lives of children and teachers (not to mention the high numbers of Americans who died by suicide each year).

America's leaders are willing to let schoolchildren live in fear and be routinely massacred rather than make a serious effort to address our problem with gun violence. We should all be ashamed of that.
J.B.Katz
GrowlTowel
J.B.Katz said:

They have low pay versus the education required to do their job + the stress level of dealing with large numbers of children all day long, thousands of critics and no champions.

They function as social workers and counselors-both guidance and personal-in additon to providing classroom instruction, without help, training or extra pay.

For many, including my mother-in-law, teaching is a vocation. Even after she retired, she taught English to recent immigrants for years as a volunteer, helping several Asian businessmen in her community learn to read, write and speak English.

They deserve to feel safe in the classroom without having to arm themselves with equipment they must buy and pay for (and the potential of liability if, God forbid, something goes wrong and a child in their classroom gets the gun and hurts himself or others). This is one of many reasons I think guns in classrooms are a very, very, very bad idea.

Most schools cannot offer a single entrance, thanks to years of under-investment. Many depend on temporary classrooms. Hell, my high school had those way back in 1970, when we had snowball fights on the way to geometry.

At some point, common sense needs to prevail over absolutist ideology that values gun rights far more than the lives of children and teachers (not to mention the high numbers of Americans who died by suicide each year).

America's leaders are willing to let schoolchildren live in fear and be routinely massacred rather than make a serious effort to address our problem with gun violence. We should all be ashamed of that.
Don't forget about the 4 months vacation and phat pensions.

99% of gun violence has nothing to do with schools. If you really cared about gun violence, you would not focus on the 1%. To do so would require you to look deep within yourself and admit everything you believe is wrong, is part of the problem, and must be changed.

But I am sure you will going on blaming those that actually focus on the 99% as evil and not worthy of your time.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Teachers get contracts to work for 9 momths and most choose to have their pay divided into 12ths so they get paid every month. The 3 months without pay is not really a paid vacation.
.we could try to something about it or just hope it doesnt happened to our kids or grandkids
J.B.Katz
GrowlTowel said:

J.B.Katz said:

99% of gun violence has nothing to do with schools. If you really cared about gun violence, you would not focus on the 1%. To do so would require you to look deep within yourself and admit everything you believe is wrong, is part of the problem, and must be changed.

But I am sure you will going on blaming those that actually focus on the 99% as evil and not worthy of your time.
Anyone who thinks teachers get "4 months of vacation and phat pensions" isn't living in the real world.

My mother-in-law doesn't get Social Security. She gets a state pension for the 30 years she spent teaching. The amount the state would have paid into Social Security went into that pension fund. I don't know if the payout is better than SS, but the state only paid 6% of her income into that fund, not even the 6.2% they should have paid to SS, and her pension is hardly "phat." I made more than she did after 15 years of work in my first year at a corporate job I took at age 28. I still feel a little sick when I remember the expression on her face when I told her what I made with 4 years of work experience.

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/04/20/texas-teachers-employee-benefits-dead-last-retirement-funding/#:~:text=Texas%20is%20in%20the%20minority,Security%20benefits%20when%20they%20retire.

A childhood friend my daughter went all the way from first grade through high school with got a degree in math from University of San Diego and a graduate degree and taught for 5 years. She was making $40K and working more than 12 hours a day coaching math teams, debate teams, prepping for classes, etc., when she decided that making minimum wage with a master's degree and never seeing her husband, a computer engineer who made real money, just wasn't worth it. She quit--a big loss to the school where she taught.

We don't pay talented teachers b/c guys like you think their skills are worthless.
Harrison Bergeron
J.B.Katz said:

We could solve the problem by making shooting kids illegal?
J.B.Katz
Harrison Bergeron said:

J.B.Katz said:

We could solve the problem by making shooting kids illegal?
On ignore. I can deal w/ people with whom I disagree about almost everything

But I don't have time or patience for stupid.
Forest Bueller_bf
GrowlTowel said:

J.B.Katz said:

Bill Mauer took this topic on the other day. Pointed out the incredible hypocrisy of Hollywood, who glorifies incredibly graphic gun violence and he had a graph that showed the affects of mental health, Hollywood type violence and video games, smart phones and gun availability in the equation.

Activist focus mostly on the gun, although the gun has always been there. I have seen nobody protesting to get rid of glorified Hollywood gun violence or similar video games.

It is more a culture of accepting death, that is the problem, much more than an inanimate object the gun. In a society that doesn't even value preborn children, how can we expect the criminals among us to value actual children.

JL
J.B.Katz said:

The worst thing about gun control advocates is their use of hyperbole. Rational people are turned off by this emotional language.
Wrecks Quan Dough
bearhouse said:

Amal Shuq-Up said:

bearhouse said:

Amal Shuq-Up said:

"Teachers of my
early youth
Taught forgiveness
stressed the truth
Here then is my
Christian lack:
If I'm struck then
I'll strike back."

Maya Angelou

Perhaps Jesus should have studied to Torah more.
He wrote it. It is Maya who misses the point.
J.B.Katz
JL said:

J.B.Katz said:

The worst thing about gun control advocates is their use of hyperbole. Rational people are turned off by this emotional language.
Rational people are turned off by gun regulations that allow troubled 18-year-olds to buy an assault weapon better than anything the police have available to defend the kids he then murders in their classroom along with their teacher while the police--in theory the good guys with the guns--are outside the room wringing their hands.

Whoever sold that kid an assault rifle and all that ammo should be brought up on accessory to murder charges.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.