Time for USA Divorce?

4,508 Views | 87 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Married A Horn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Should it happen? Arent both sides completely sick of each other? We are closer to civil war than we are getting along with each other. Splitting up into red & blue is so much netter than war.

Would you be fore or against?

I vote yes, separate. The alternatives are ugly. And this way everyone gets what they want.
Married A Horn

Hutto Hippo
Trinity Trojan
Redbrickbear
Lincoln destroyed that chance for peaceful separation in 1861.

No one gets out of this Union alive.
BearN
How about just let the states decide? Will Dick's pay to relocate employees to a pro-death state?
bear2be2
No, people in this country need to learn how to disagree and coexist. We all do this pretty well already until you introduce stupid tribal dividing lines and politics.
Married A Horn
I expect liberals to say no. They want to rule everyone with an iron fist.
Conservatives? Time for divorce so everyone can get what they want?
Married A Horn

Hutto Hippo
Trinity Trojan
Sam Lowry
Totally unrealistic. There's no geographic boundary between red and blue, no line upon which to split.
ABC BEAR
Who gets the nukes in this amicable split?
fubar
Married A Horn said:

How old ARE you?
Gunter gleiben glauchen globen
nein51
Sam Lowry said:

Totally unrealistic. There's no geographic boundary between red and blue, no line upon which to split.

That is the practical problem yes. In theory I think the idea has merit, probably more than most of us would prefer to admit. In practice there's no reasonable way to make it happen.
DioNoZeus
Married A Horn said:

Canada2017
Married A Horn said:

Should it happen? Arent both sides completely sick of each other? We are closer to civil war than we are getting along with each other. Splitting up into red & blue is so much netter than war.

I vote yes, separate. The alternatives are ugly. And this way everyone gets what they want.
There is going to be another civil war . But it is not going to have clean geographical lines like in 1861 .

Will be far more like the Spanish Civil War of 1936 where the battle lines were initially blurred .....neighborhood to neighborhood . And if you were caught in the 'wrong section' one had to keep a very low profile in order to survive .

Or like the India - Pakistan Partition of 1947....where millions of people fled from one region to another to avoid being massacred by the ethnic majority .
OsoCoreyell
I know this seems like an unprecedented level of national strife, but that is far from the case. The sad truth is, the nation has been in a pretty high state of conflict over various issues since the founding. Heck, the entire model of our republic is to make sure that it is really hard for anyone group for states to gang up on any other group of states and boss them around. The Senate is quite intentionally not a proportional representative body. The process to amend the Constitution is arduous and requires very broad consensus that has only been achieved 23 times since the founding of the Republic (16 if you "bundle" the amendments that passed at the same time). Heck, we've even had physical violence on the floors of both chambers of Congress.

The good ole days weren't always so happy and peaceful as we'd like to think.
Wrecks Quan Dough
ABC BEAR said:

Who gets the nukes in this amicable split?

Bermond.

College Station is responsible for paying the entire national debt.
Married A Horn
If they did it, I would think the west coast and the northeast be blue and the rest be red. Will dis-locate some of course - like everyone in Austin would need to move.
Nukes & Military split. Bases keep what they have and stay where they are.

Adjustments would be made naturally, but nothing compared to war (see ukraine and/or our independence). Those are much more painful adjustments.
Married A Horn

Hutto Hippo
Trinity Trojan
Porteroso
Threads like this are so 2 centuries ago. But sure, go ahead and indulge in your war fantasies.
Canada2017
Porteroso said:

Threads like this are so 2 centuries ago. But sure, go ahead and indulge in your war fantasies.
There are many examples of such internal chaos over the last 50 years .

And the US is not immune.

Golem
Porteroso said:

He mentioned divorce, not war. You seem to be the one interested in promoting violence.

Adriacus Peratuun
Forget splitting the military or nukes, try splitting the National Debt and the heads of the Left will explode. The concept of paying your bills is beyond their comprehension.
LIB,MR BEARS
Married A Horn said:

If they did it, I would think the west coast and the northeast be blue and the rest be red. Will dis-locate some of course - like everyone in Austin would need to move.
Nukes & Military split. Bases keep what they have and stay where they are.

Adjustments would be made naturally, but nothing compared to war (see ukraine and/or our independence). Those are much more painful adjustments.
Neither side wants Austin. It is best to try and work things out or risk getting stuck with them
Porteroso
Golem said:

Porteroso said:

He mentioned divorce, not war. You seem to be the one interested in promoting violence.

You're talking out the dark end son. Or find me a place where I promoted violence.

Read the rest of the replies if you want to see who brought up violence.
whiterock
Sam Lowry said:

Your statement is correct, but only in a binary context.
Osodecentx
Married A Horn said:

I vote no
Canada2017
Osodecentx said:

Married A Horn said:

I vote no
What are your reasons ?

Really believe this country have avoid a cultural blood bath down the road ?
Osodecentx
Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Married A Horn said:

I vote no
What are your reasons ?

The calls for a war or a division of states comes from a loud but very, very small group with a social media megaphone. Call 10 of your acquaintances today and ask them if the country should separate into 2 of more countries. I have and nobody I know even understands the question.
The USA has always had regions that were different economically and socially. A few examples come to mind.
Before the Civil War the NE was the population and financial center of the country. The regions were very different
After the Civil War the South was in a Depression for decades. The NE prospered. The regions were very different.
Now the population is moving south and southwest. The NE is socially very different from the south and SW. I won't be telling NYC residents how to live. I think their choices are destructive in the long run, but c'est la vie.

My long term view of the country is pessimistic. I think the country is in irreversible decline because of financial and societal decisions. I just don't believe we divide up before we augur in. See what happens when the grid goes down or the financial system crashes.
Married A Horn
See, I'm suggesting we try something before any of the crash & burn scenarios take place.
Married A Horn

Hutto Hippo
Trinity Trojan
Canada2017
Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Married A Horn said:

I vote no
What are your reasons ?

My long term view of the country is pessimistic. I think the country is in irreversible decline because of financial and societal decisions. I just don't believe we divide up before we augur in. See what happens when the grid goes down or the financial system crashes.
Thank you for your response .

Agreed...at this point very few Americans would support a division of the country . Very few countries have ever split up peacefully . Usually results in a horrific blood bath as the have nots don't want to lose the financial support of the haves .

Agreed......when ( not if ) the financial collapse occurs ....when food is in short supply......then we will see.
It is unfortunate states can not legally leave the union . Would avoid a lot of senseless killing .
Osodecentx
Married A Horn said:

See, I'm suggesting we try something before any of the crash & burn scenarios take place.
I think it is too late. There is going to be a Reset.
whiterock
Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Married A Horn said:

I vote no
What are your reasons ?

The calls for a war or a division of states comes from a loud but very, very small group with a social media megaphone. Call 10 of your acquaintances today and ask them if the country should separate into 2 of more countries. I have and nobody I know even understands the question.
The USA has always had regions that were different economically and socially. A few examples come to mind.
Before the Civil War the NE was the population and financial center of the country. The regions were very different
After the Civil War the South was in a Depression for decades. The NE prospered. The regions were very different.
Now the population is moving south and southwest. The NE is socially very different from the south and SW. I won't be telling NYC residents how to live. I think their choices are destructive in the long run, but c'est la vie.

These questions have been polled from time to time and the numbers, depending on the way the question is worded range between 20-40%.
drahthaar
Shoving the decision-making process (i.e. "governance") down to the state level will probably accomplish some of the "dividing" the OP mentions. That's where it belongs anyway.
Wrecks Quan Dough
drahthaar said:

Shoving the decision-making process (i.e. "governance") down to the state level will probably accomplish some of the "dividing" the OP mentions. That's where it belongs anyway.

Exactly. National elections would be less contentious had we not departed from our federalist principles.
Osodecentx
whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Married A Horn said:

I vote no
What are your reasons ?

These questions have been polled from time to time and the numbers, depending on the way the question is worded range between 20-40%.
I'm not saying my friends & acquaintances are a representative sample of the US population.

Do you have a link to the polls handy. I'm curious how they asked the question
bularry
Adriacus Peratuun said:

Forget splitting the military or nukes, try splitting the National Debt and the heads of the Left will explode. The concept of paying your bills is beyond their comprehension.
right, R's don't believe in debt
bularry
Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Canada2017 said:

Osodecentx said:

Married A Horn said:

I vote no
What are your reasons ?

Thank you for your response .

Agreed...at this point very few Americans would support a division of the country . Very few countries have ever split up peacefully . Usually results in a horrific blood bath as the have nots don't want to lose the financial support of the haves .

Agreed......when ( not if ) the financial collapse occurs ....when food is in short supply......then we will see.
It is unfortunate states can not legally leave the union . Would avoid a lot of senseless killing .
why do you want states to leave the union? how is that feasible?
bularry
Canada2017 said:

Porteroso said:

There are many examples of such internal chaos over the last 50 years .

And the US is not immune.

I"m ready for all the examples that are applicable to the United States.
Thee University
Osodecentx said:

Your 10 acquaintances most likely do not get involved nor really care about the growing division in our country. If they are paying attention they understand the question.

Before the Civil War the NE was taxing the p!ss out of the South.
After the Civil War reconstruction, at the hands of the North, made certain the South was depressed and the North prospered.

The North has screwed themselves so those with any sense at all are moving South.

We need a Civil War. Amicable if possible. I'm sure there will be the usual limp-wristed Antifa/BLM/liberal pukes stirring it up but I think it is the only way to solve our division unless we experience a catastrophic event that wipes out millions of Americans.

I'll help move some of the trash out of Austin/Central Texas.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.