40 Dead

10,244 Views | 270 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Canada2017
OsoCoreyell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Booray said:

OsoCoreyell said:

Booray said:

The answers I am getting are: (1) we have an open border and (2) people have to be smuggled across the open border. There seems to be a conflict between those two things.

Go at it a different way: what policies need to change to stop the flow of illegal immigration and specifically, to prevent episodes like yesterday's?
Catch and release, specifically. Too much incentive to risk it and slip through the cracks.
Thank you for a real answer.

Seems like that would require a huge investment in detention facilities, the health and human services structure to go with them and the immigration courts so that we can move cases faster.

Are you saying that: (1) people are disappearing after being released in numbers sufficient to justify the investment; (2) the ability to live and work in the United States until adjudication and deportation is enough incentive so that if we invest the money and end opportunity, the investment will be justified; or (3) both or something different?
Probably both, though I think your answer assume that the alternative to "release" is "incarcerate." The "wait in place" policy, I think does provide enough incentive to prevent waves of hopeful immigrants, and it also incentivizes Mexico to do a better job on their own borders.
cowboycwr
Booray said:

The answers I am getting are: (1) we have an open border and (2) people have to be smuggled across the open border. There seems to be a conflict between those two things.

Go at it a different way: what policies need to change to stop the flow of illegal immigration and specifically, to prevent episodes like yesterday's?
IF a person simply walks across the border they will most likely be stopped by border patrol to be put in a holding facility. Then they have to wait until being sent to somewhere else in the country. There is also the chance they will get deported.

if they are sent to another location they could be sent to Denver when they were trying to reach family in Dallas. Or Atlanta, Chicago, etc.

So they pay to get smuggled in so they reduce the chance of being deported, they reduce the probability of being sent to a location they don't want to be and can reach their intended destination.
midgett
Booray said:

Rawhide said:

Booray said:

Yes, we have a more open border under biden.

As far as policy, The biden administration could enforce the damn immigration laws we have now instead of shipping them all across the country
As I understand it, "enforcing the laws we have" means that arrestees must be kept in detention center until trial. That is logistically impossible currently and would take a huge investment and years of building to get there.

We had a wall being built at one point. Not sure who stopped it or why? Would it halt illegal immigration? No. Would it substantially slow illegal immigration? Likely. Would it discourage people from all over the world from traveling to and through Mexico to enter the US illegally? Yes. Would it save untold tax dollars? Yes.
OsoCoreyell
What happens to those caught is not only a matter of humanity, ethics, economics and immigration policy, but also of incentives. We need a policy that causes potential illegal immigrants to NOT head to the US border in droves to be outside in dangerous conditions. There needs to be an aggressive PR campaign that rushing to the border will not increase your chances of getting in. I think one of the problems is that rumors and even public statements about "sanctuary cities' and free college for "dreamers" and a general reticence on the part of Democratic administrations and politicians to convey a message that disfavors illegal immigration for fear of being accused of being a racist have led to an assumption that the border is open by many who'd like to immigrate here for financial reasons.
Whiskey Pete
Booray said:

Rawhide said:

Booray said:

As far as policy, The biden administration could enforce the damn immigration laws we have now instead of shipping them all across the country
As I understand it, "enforcing the laws we have" means that arrestees must be kept in detention center until trial. That is logistically impossible currently and would take a huge investment and years of building to get there.
Sorry, but "it's inconvenient and costs money" is not a good reason not to follow the law.

Or better yet, deport them insteading putting them on buses headed to an American city near you.

This on Biden
Booray
Rawhide said:

Booray said:

Rawhide said:

Booray said:

Sorry, but "it's inconvenient and costs money" is not a good reason not to follow the law.

Or better yet, deport them insteading putting them on buses headed to an American city near you.

This on Biden

"Just deport them" is also not following the law. Detaining them without appropriate facilities is also not following the law..
Whiskey Pete
Booray said:

Rawhide said:

Booray said:

Rawhide said:

Booray said:

This on Biden

"Just deport them" is also not following the law. Detaining them without appropriate facilities is also not following the law..
Putting them on buses so they can head to a city near you is most certainly not following th law.
LIB,MR BEARS
Booray said:

Rawhide said:

Booray said:

Rawhide said:

Booray said:

This on Biden

Any fool can smell a rotten egg. So what is your solution for a new egg, chicken?

Or

Any fool can smell a rotten egg. So what is your solution for a new egg? Chicken?
Proud 1992 Alum
The U.S. should tell Mexico that they must place their military on the U.S. border to stop the flow of people and drugs. If they don't, the U.S. should start targeting the cartels as terrorists with drone surveillance and special forces operations in Mexico. All cartel members should be targeted, particularly the leadership.

The wall should be completed and a network of border patrol stations, cameras, sensors, and roads should be set up.

This latest tragedy should be highlighted in PR campaigns throughout Mexico and Central and South America.

A law should be passed that if you are caught entering the country illegally then you can never obtain U.S. residency or citizenship.

Texas and the other border states deserve better. America already has one of the most generous legal immigration programs in the world. Illegal immigration is unacceptable, stupid and deadly. It must be stopped.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Now 50 confirmed dead. Everything Joe Biden touches either turns to s h ! t or dies.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Doc Holliday
Booray said:

Rawhide said:

Booray said:

I've seen it firsthand and have actually been inside the consulate in Juarez. Immigration is backlogged to the 1990s.

One of the major reasons immigration is a problem is because our federal government is full of bureaucrats and federal employees making stupid decisions and working the bare minimum. They don't get fired, they're not disciplined and there's no ramifications for not meetings numbers or quotas.

We have a major accountability problem in our government.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
What Doc said. We need immigration reform. Make it easier for good people to get here and work.

Other countries use strong visas to control.immigration. no transactions or services without a valid visa. Cut welfare. People that are here and people that want to come.need to work.

Immigrants must behave. DWI, expelled from school or any drug offense send the whole family back. Let families work toward citizenship.

Most of those people on in the truck.were desperate people looking for a better life for.their families. They risked their lives to be able to work. The border was not open. Anyone who has travelled knows they aren't open. America as a whole both sides has done a poor.job..

Canada2017
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

We need immigration reform. Make it easier for good people to get here and work.

For once will you finally tell me exactly where the US has an additional 2-3 million jobs ANNUALLY for people who can't read, write or speak English ?
Wangchung
Trump tried to secure the border but you leftists called him racist and xenophobic. His failing was not being able to overcome the media, democrats and spineless conservatives.
Our vibrations were getting nasty. But why? I was puzzled, frustrated... Had we deteriorated to the level of dumb beasts?
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Canada2017 said:

We need immigration reform. Make it easier for good people to get here and work.

For once will you finally tell me exactly where the US has an additional 2-3 million jobs ANNUALLY for people who can't read, write or speak English ?
There are lots of jobs for those that want to work. They can learn English faster than some Americans. I know you don't like stats. My brother owns two restaurants in Waco. He has a hard time keeping workers at $13 an hour.. I see help wanted signs here in NC. Its hard to find people that want to work imo.
Canada2017

Canada2017 said:

There are lots of jobs for those that want to work. They can learn English faster than some Americans. I know you don't like stats. My brother owns two restaurants in Waco. He has a hard time keeping workers at $13 an hour.. I see help wanted signs here in NC. Its hard to find people that want to work imo.
Vague....wayyyyyy too vague .

WHERE are there 2-3 MILLION jobs every year for people who can not READ, WRITE, and speak English ?

There are not enough schools in the entire North American continent to educate such numbers . There are not enough teachers to educate such numbers.

And that is even assuming someone with a 5th grade education from Mexico would even bother to stay in such a school . And you know darned well most of these illegals don't even have a 10th grade education to begin with .

Each and every year.....another 2 MILLION plus illegals .
Each and every year another 2 million jobs are going magically open up ?

WHERE ?

What job sector (s) ?

Lets get down to specifics finally .

ATL Bear
Canada2017 said:

Fry cooks, dish washers, janitorial/housekeeping, lawn staff, construction, warehouse, agriculture. The jobs we've become too good for, or are getting out of whack to incentivize to the value.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Drop outs will negate the families visa and trigger deportation. Mexicans can learn English. Most of the Mexican kids I have worked with speak better English than I speak Spanish.

There are low level.entry jobs our poor won't do.because of our overly generous welfare. I am tired of sullen incompetent workers doing bad work. Get people that want to work. People are risking their lives for those jobs. I know men that work all day, sleep in shack and send most of their money home to support wife and kids.

With all.the conservatives home schooling there should be plenty of desks for.kids that are eager to learn and earn a better life. Isn't that the idea America was founded upon?

I know there is a fear about the Browning of Texas and the culture may keep.changimg. maybe tacos will.become.more popular than burgers.

Canada2017
ATL Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

Fry cooks, dish washers, janitorial/housekeeping, lawn staff, construction, warehouse, agriculture. The jobs we've become too good for, or are getting out of whack to incentivize to the value.
2 million such jobs.......added each and every year ?

Reading, writing English not needed for any such jobs ?

Not a chance in the world .
ATL Bear
Canada2017 said:

ATL Bear said:

Canada2017 said:

2 million such jobs.......added each and every year ?

Reading, writing English not needed for any such jobs ?

Not a chance in the world .
Upward mobility and transitive job nature keeps many of these positions constantly open. Also, 2 million is an arbitrary number as many come but don't stay. Better labor/job access might actually mean more stay, or the flow of people would reach some sort of set equilibrium. You see it in many nations that better manage labor flow,
Canada2017

Drop outs will negate the families visa and trigger deportation. Mexicans can learn English. Most of the Mexican kids I have worked with speak better English than I speak Spanish.

There are low level.entry jobs our poor won't do.because of our overly generous welfare. I am tired of sullen incompetent workers doing bad work. Get people that want to work. People are risking their lives for those jobs. I know men that work all day, sleep in shack and send most of their money home to support wife and kids.

With all.the conservatives home schooling there should be plenty of desks for.kids that are eager to learn and earn a better life. Isn't that the idea America was founded upon?

I know there is a fear about the Browning of Texas and the culture may keep.changimg. maybe tacos will.become.more popular than burgers.

You still have not provided anything other than super broad generalities .

Where are all these English schools going to magically appear ? Where are all the teachers going to come from ?

Are these teachers going to work for free....if not who is going to pay them ?

Even if these millions of illegals were willing to go to school for 3-6 months , even if magically thousands of teachers showed up, who is going to feed and shelter 2-3 MILLION new illegals every year while they are in SCHOOL ?

4th try

Where are these 2 million plus NEW jobs every year ? Jobs that don't require even a high school degree ?

Millions of new jobs every single year where the ability to read , write and speak English is not needed.

Which job sector is going to create these millions of low skill NEW jobs EVERY year ?

Come on big guy ......finally educate me with specifics .
LIB,MR BEARS

Hmmmm, What-a-chalupa?
william
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Hmmmm, What-a-chalupa?
casa ole used to make a pretty spicy chalupa.

ammiwrongboys?

- hank hill

{ sipping coffee }

{ eating donut }
>>Carve away the stone (Sisyhpus)
Carve away the stone
Make a graven image
With some features of your own<<
william

What Doc said. We need immigration reform. Make it easier for good people to get here and work.

Other countries use strong visas to control.immigration. no transactions or services without a valid visa. Cut welfare. People that are here and people that want to come.need to work.

Immigrants must behave. DWI, expelled from school or any drug offense send the whole family back. Let families work toward citizenship.

Most of those people on in the truck.were desperate people looking for a better life for.their families. They risked their lives to be able to work. The border was not open. Anyone who has travelled knows they aren't open. America as a whole both sides has done a poor.job..

the border is open - access to it controlled by the cartels, however.

- kkm

imagine some dude in a serape saying: 'none shall pass'.

except w/o the implied mirth of a MP sketch.

Carve away the stone
Make a graven image
Canada2017
william said:

the border is open - access to it controlled by the cartels, however.

Absolutely 100% right .

The situation in Mexico ( and most of Central America ) is so fundamentally different from that in the United States ....many Americans have an incredibly difficult time accepting it .

The drug cartels control access to the Mexican side of the border ....and make billions providing that access.
whiterock
Booray said:

Rawhide said:

Booray said:

yes and no. No, we do not have jail capacity to store hundreds of thousands of illegals for weeks on end waiting for a deportation hearing. But most illegals facing imminent deportation waive deportation because deportation is a permanent statutory bar against ever entering the USA again legally, meaning even if they came back illegally, they could never have a pathway to legal status. So lawyers always advise, and illegals usually accept, voluntary departure once deportation becomes inevitable. That's not what's causing the back up. the refugee process is the problem now.

Refugees and their support NGOs and the cartels and the nations involved, know that our processing capacity for asylum requests is quite limited. So everyone crossing the river knows exactly one word of English - "asylum." That diverts them from the deportation process, effectively forever. They can't be deported until their asylum hearing, and our asylum process is set up for a 5-digit number per year, not a 6-digit number per month. We could ramp up, deputize, etc....more asylum officers, but we don't want to. (because we WANT the inflow of people to keep the demographics looking right).

The solution to this is obvious: USBP, immediately upon apprehending illegals in the pasture, takes those illegals to the nearest US Port of Entry (POE) for those illegals to present their application for entry to the USA to an immigration control officer. That officer will refuse them (because the law in front of an immigration control officer says "no visa, no entry.") Then the illegals are released to walk back across the bridge to Mexico. That is what happens at an airport when someone gets off a plane and is refused entry to the USA. They are physically on USA soil, but not legally in the USA until they are admitted by immigration control. So anyone refused entry at an airport does not get deported. They get put on the next plane out (at airline expense). That's why the airlines check your visa. They are liable to bring you back should you be refused entry. The premise is that one is not in the jurisdiction of US courts until the immigration control officer stamps one's passport. Well, 99% of those illegals do not even HAVE a passport, much less a visa.

The moment that word gets out that the word "asylum" doesn't get you released into the USA, the illegals will quit giving cartels money to bring them here. The whole flow is predicated on a moral hazard - there is no risk of getting returned whence they came. If they get caught, they say "asylum" and they get released with a future date for a hearing they will never attend. If they don't get caught, well, they don't get caught. So the odds of success are 100% assuming they don't die or physically fall out somewhere along the line. So that means a $5-10k investment is a pretty good investment. The moment failure is perceived to be 100% if caught, the number of people willing to give their life savings to the USBP will plummet.

I held a consular commission for 8 years and have worked the process. Have an in-law who is currently an immigration judge (and BU grad) working southern border. We talk shop. Illegals and the NGOs/cartels supporting them know our law well and are exploiting loopholes. We close the loopholes, the flow stops. Admins (R and D) know this full well, but are not really interested in stopping the flow. Illegal immigration is good for demographics and the economy. But rule of law gets trashed, as it's a de facto end-run around restraints on legal immigration.

That's the outrage here. Rule of law. Our bureaucracy is being intentionally abused by elected & appointed officials to execute policy they know full well the American people do not support. Yet they do it anyway. That creates the moral hazard which entices the flow.
muddybrazos
Very sad incident but this just shows how brutal the cartels are. It's clear that they bring people across then they shake them down for more money. If they dont pay they get left in a truck to send a message to the others that are coming behind them.
Golem
A car thief dies in a car wreck…zero sympathy.
A murderer accidentally shoots and kills himself…zero sympathy.
A burglar falls from the window he's breaking into and dies…zero sympathy.
An illegal violates our borders and sovereignty and dies committing that crime…zero sympathy.

If you want to live with less risk, don't violate the law.
muddybrazos
Golem said:

An illegal violates our borders and sovereignty and dies committing that crime…zero sympathy.

Well, we aren't even enforcing our own laws and the cartels are in complete control of the border. These people coming are being sent a message by our government and NGO's that are helping fund their journey that if they can get here then they can stay. The cartels are exploiting this and these poor people are just being caught in the crossfire.
Golem
muddybrazos said:

Golem said:

Well, we aren't even enforcing our own laws and the cartels are in complete control of the border. These people coming are being sent a message by our government and NGO's that are helping fund their journey that if they can get here then they can stay. The cartels are exploiting this and these poor people are just being caught in the crossfire.

They are choosing to break the law. Certainly democrat politicians are complicit, but it doesn't change the fact that these people are knowingly violating our laws. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.
william
muddybrazos said:

Very sad incident but this just shows how brutal the cartels are. It's clear that they bring people across then they shake them down for more money. If they dont pay they get left in a truck to send a message to the others that are coming behind them.
there is no 'shake down'. they pay up front.

this is a business. a well run highly profitable business.

a many billion $ a year business.

- kkm

{ sipping coffee }

{ eating toast }
Carve away the stone
Make a graven image
muddybrazos
william said:

muddybrazos said:

- kkm

{ sipping coffee }

{ eating toast }
Well, this is the cartel so they make their own rules. You pay up front and there can be a shake down at the point of delivery.
whiterock
muddybrazos said:

william said:

muddybrazos said:

- kkm

{ sipping coffee }

{ eating toast }
Well, this is the cartel so they make their own rules. You pay up front and there can be a shake down at the point of delivery.
finding dozens of illegals abandoned in trucks is not a rare thing. Finding them dead happens every year, just usually not so many in one truck. The mass death event only happens a few times a decade.

When such does happen, it's usually because the driver fled, abandoning the truck rather than getting arrested for human trafficking. The drivers are usually citizens and cannot escape long-term jail sentences by being deported.

Forest Bueller_bf

Canada2017 said:

This I don't get, so I could have spending money growing up, since mom and dad had scarce money to spend on any extras, I had summers I would work all week in the fields chopping cotton for less than minimum wage and on the weekends work at the Falls Hotel restaurant as a dishwasher.

LIB,MR BEARS
Golem said:

who is your neighbor?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.