Kneeling on a public field and Jesus' piety

2,984 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Forest Bueller_bf
Waco1947
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If Jesus were to read today's SCOTUS decision allowing a public school coach to pray on field after a game, Jesus wouldn't recognize the religion at issue, given that Jesus taught this (Matthew 6:5-7):
"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."
#hypocrites #scotus #prayer
In addition, Jesus went in private to pray.
He He taught the lords prayer in private. He prayed in private at the garden of Gethsemane. Coach is simply being a Showboat for Jesus rather than a disciple
Waco1947
Harrison Bergeron
Okay. Why do you care? Maybe reach out to him and share your counsel. (I agree, but I am a live and let live guy)
BearN
Ignore the thumbs up emoji. The OP is a hack.

Here is an article that also incorporates other scriptures instead of cherry picking one out of context and judging the thoughts and intentions of the coach's heart.

https://www.gotquestions.org/public-prayer.html
Waco1947
Harrison Bergeron said:

Okay. Why do you care? Maybe reach out to him and share your counsel. (I agree, but I am a live and let live guy)
I care because I am a Christian who does not like a public piety that Jesus, clearly, dictates again.
Waco1947
contrario
It's amazing the OP is able to know the intentions of the coach. It's even more amazing he knows how Jesus would react to this Supreme Court decision.
Doc Holliday
Waco1947 said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

I care because I am a Christian who does not like a public piety that Jesus, clearly, dictates again.
You assume he prays for show,

He's praying for what's about to unfold in the next 4 quarters.

Why do you keep twisting everything to align with democrat cultism?
Waco1947
BearN said:

Here is an article that also incorporates other scriptures instead of cherry picking one out of context and judging the thoughts and intentions of the coach's heart.

The OT passages doesn't support your support your premise because Jesus supersedes the OT. Public prayer in worship is OK and even commended by Paul. No, I am not hack and name calling is not helpful to dialogue and contrary to the Christian principles that you profess, So, would you like to try, again? Thank you.
Waco1947
Harrison Bergeron
Waco1947 said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

That's why I suggested rather than put on your Pharisee Pants reach out to him and share your POV and advice in Christian Love.
Waco1947
Harrison Bergeron said:

Waco1947 said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

That's why I suggested rather than put on your Pharisee Pants reach out to him and share your POV and advice in Christian Love.
As you reached to me in Christian love? I can still criticize his public piety as out of line with Jesus clear teaching.
Waco1947
ScruffyD
as long as everyone's cool with a coach asking to read/pray from the Koran at midfield too.
Waco1947
ScruffyD said:

as long as everyone's cool with a coach asking to read/pray from the Koran at midfield too.
So very true but public pray still goes against Jesus' clear teaching.
Waco1947
Doc Holliday
Waco1947 said:

ScruffyD said:

No.

Matthew 6:58 has nothing to do with whether we should pray in public or not. This passage is related to the reason we are praying.

What it's saying is don't pray for appearances. If you think this coach is praying for appearances, assert that, don't make up a false interpretation of where one can and can't pray.
BearN
Waco1947 said:

BearN said:

The OT passages doesn't support your support your premise because Jesus supersedes the OT. Public prayer in worship is OK and even commended by Paul. No, I am not hack and name calling is not helpful to dialogue and contrary to the Christian principles that you profess, So, would you like to try, again? Thank you.

Jesus endorsed all of the Law and the Prophets. Try again.

You don't like hack? That WAS me being nice. Scripture has much harsher words for those like you who worship at the altars of Moloch, Gaia, Eros, and Baal.
BusyTarpDuster2017
Waco1947 said:

If Jesus were to read today's SCOTUS decision allowing a public school coach to pray on field after a game, Jesus wouldn't recognize the religion at issue, given that Jesus taught this (Matthew 6:5-7):
"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."
He He taught the lords prayer in private. He prayed in private at the garden of Gethsemane. Coach is simply being a Showboat for Jesus rather than a disciple
Maybe the coach has a different interpretation.
Wangchung
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

Waco1947 said:

Maybe the coach has a different interpretation.

Our vibrations were getting nasty. But why? I was puzzled, frustrated... Had we deteriorated to the level of dumb beasts?
TechDawgMc
Waco1947 said:

ScruffyD said:

And yet Jesus prayed in public. So maybe it's your interpretation that's wrong.
BaylorJacket
As long as people are also okay with a Coach leading a Satanic Temple chant post-game I'm cool with it
ABC BEAR
BaylorJacket said:

As long as people are also okay with a Coach leading a Satanic Temple chant post-game I'm cool with it
I think you are wearing your jacket inside-out.
BaylorJacket
The Jacket is actually in relation to Georgia Tech - realized after I made it how dumb it sounds lol.
OsoCoreyell
Waco1947 said:

BearN said:

I guess the coach interprets scripture differently than that. As you've said in the past, scripture is authoritative, but no one besides each believer is competent to interpret - it's between that believer and Christ, correct?

I'm just confused because your post above seems to imply that some weight should be given to the clear meaning of scripture no matter what interpretation the individual believer is using.
Canada2017
contrario said:

It's amazing the OP is able to know the intentions of the coach. It's even more amazing he knows how Jesus would react to this Supreme Court decision.
The OP also believes Jesus would approve of abortions .
Harrison Bergeron
Waco1947 said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Waco1947 said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

As you reached to me in Christian love? I can still criticize his public piety as out of line with Jesus clear teaching.
What value does criticizing a brother in Christ's personal decision bring to you, him, or the faith community?
contrario
So let me get this straight, the coach shouldn't have prayed in public, because Jesus wouldn't approve, but we should publicly shame the person on a public message board, because that's what Jesus would do? I'm confused.
TechDawgMc
BaylorJacket said:

I'm not 100% sure I like the decision, but, yes, it has to apply to any religious practice equally.
Canada2017
Harrison Bergeron said:

Waco1947 said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Waco1947 said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

What value does criticizing a brother in Christ's personal decision bring to you, him, or the faith community?
Brings much desired attention to an old man desperately attempting to fill his empty hours.
SIC EM 94
Waco1947 said:

Do you share your idiocy with those who you claim to lead in your so-called church? With each and every post you are a "showboat" for dumbassery, rather than a disciple.
Waco1947
Doc Holliday said:

Waco1947 said:

ScruffyD said:

No.

Matthew 6:58 has nothing to do with whether we should pray in public or not. This passage is related to the reason we are praying.

What it's saying is don't pray for appearances. If you think this coach is praying for appearances, assert that, don't make up a false interpretation of where one can and can't pray.
The coach is praying for appearances.
Waco1947
Waco1947
SIC EM 94 said:

Waco1947 said:

Do you share your idiocy with those who you claim to lead in your so-called church? With each and every post you are a "showboat" for dumbassery, rather than a disciple.
So, name calling is an example of your discipleship?
Waco1947
Waco1947
TechDawgMc said:

BaylorJacket said:

I'm not 100% sure I like the decision, but, yes, it has to apply to any religious practice equally.
True and apoplexy posters need to calm down and read.
Waco1947
Waco1947
TechDawgMc said:

Waco1947 said:

ScruffyD said:

Show me an example
Waco1947
Waco1947
OsoCoreyell said:

Waco1947 said:

BearN said:

I guess the coach interprets scripture differently than that. As you've said in the past, scripture is authoritative, but no one besides each believer is competent to interpret - it's between that believer and Christ, correct?

I'm just confused because your post above seems to imply that some weight should be given to the clear meaning of scripture no matter what interpretation the individual believer is using.
Especially when Jesus says it.
Waco1947
TechDawgMc
Waco1947 said:

TechDawgMc said:

Waco1947 said:

ScruffyD said:

Show me an example
He prays in front of the disciples, he prays on the cross, he does some kind of blessing of food regularly (though that might not have been an actual prayer), he stops to give thanks to God before doing things.
Mothra
Waco1947 said:

So I take it as a pastor you don't pray in church and don't approve of pastors praying in front of the congregation?
Doc Holliday
Waco1947 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Waco1947 said:

ScruffyD said:

No.

The coach is praying for appearances.
You think Jesus would be ok with you assuming that?
Waco1947
TechDawgMc said:

Waco1947 said:

TechDawgMc said:

Waco1947 said:

ScruffyD said:

Show me an example
He prays in front of the disciples, he prays on the cross, he does some kind of blessing of food regularly (though that might not have been an actual prayer), he stops to give thanks to God before doing things.
All those are worship or meals and ostentatious like this coach
Waco1947
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.