Kneeling on a public field and Jesus' piety

2,988 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Forest Bueller_bf
Waco1947
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Rather than a civil debate this thread has turned into hate on Waco
Waco1947
Proud 1992 Alum
Waco1947 said:

Well you started this thread by assuming to know the coach's heart and mind regarding prayer and his reasons for praying publicly. Maybe he wants to send a message to the kids who look up to him that faith is important. Criticizing him when you don't know his motives rubbed me the wrong way.
SIC EM 94
Waco1947 said:

Well Satan, that's what happens when you repeatedly start threads such as this one.
Fre3dombear
Proud 1992 Alum said:

Waco1947 said:

Well you started this thread by assuming to know the coach's heart and mind regarding prayer and his reasons for praying publicly. Maybe he wants to send a message to the kids who look up to him that faith is important. Criticizing him when you don't know his motives rubbed me the wrong way.

Exactly. Odd premise of this thread. When Jesus fed the 5,000, he should have been mumbling to himself in a mud hut instead of being all showy about it.

Interesting logic
Forest Bueller_bf
Golem said:

Waco1947 said:

Golem said:

Waco1947 said:

Proud 1992 Alum said:

Waco1947 said:

Proud 1992 Alum said:

Waco1947 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Waco1947 said:

ScruffyD said:

as long as everyone's cool with a coach asking to read/pray from the Koran at midfield too.
So very true but public pray still goes against Jesus' clear teaching.
No.

Matthew 6:58 has nothing to do with whether we should pray in public or not. This passage is related to the reason we are praying.

What it's saying is don't pray for appearances. If you think this coach is praying for appearances, assert that, don't make up a false interpretation of where one can and can't pray.
The coach is praying for appearances.

How would you know ass**le?
Name calling flies in the face of the love commandment. I suggest a deeper pray life.

Aren't you in effect name-calling by stating that the coach is praying for appearances? I ask again, how would you know?
Name calling would "the Pharisaical coach." I am sure he is a faithful man but he is a poor witness to his faith because he flies in the face of Jesus' clear command. The Supreme Court says that it is ok but Jesus does not.

Stop lying. Jesus specifically said don't pray like the Pharisees. For an example of a public prayer of thanks, see Jesus' prayer of thanksgiving in front of the 5,000.

Matt 14:19 And he directed the people to sit down on the grass. Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then he gave them to the disciples, and the disciples gave them to the people. 20 They all ate and were satisfied, and the disciples picked up twelve basketfuls of broken pieces that were left over. 21 The number of those who ate was about five thousand men, besides women and children.

A prayer of thanksgiving after God meets the needs of your group is not only appropriate, it's exactly mimicking Christ.
I am not lying. Stop accusing of lying. Again, Jesus is praying over a meal just like I do over countless potluck dinners in churches but in each setting believers are assenting to a common faith in Jesus. Jesus did condemn pray with fellow or potential disciples.

You are lying. Jesus prayed in public. He prayed publicly in exactly the same way the coach did. He thanked God. To suggest He doesn't want us to pray in public at all, ever, is a lie. He demonstrated that public prayers of thanksgiving are acceptable.

Stop lying.
This is it.

The pharisee prayed in public for one reason, to be seen and revered by men. They wanted the best places at the table, the wanted to be the honored person in the crowd, Jesus knew their heart. Just as the people in the Bible who did their giving to be seen and revered by men, Jesus, being God knew their heart. We do not know this mans heart.

But, getting past that aspect of it. He prayed after the contest was over by himself starting in 2008, then a few kids started joining him, then more kids started joining with him as well as some parents and spectators. What a first was an individual man praying alone on the field after the game, became then a few people joining him, then a bunch of people joining him.

If he in any way coerced people to pray along with him, or coerced players to pray with him, as a kind of unspoken requirement, that would be wrong.

If it is a totally optional act, and you can stay, go, totally ignore him, leave with friends or parents or girlfriend and it is not required to pray, I don't see the issue.

If a muslim coach after the game knelt and prayed by himself, he has that right, if a few kids join in, voluntarily, they have that right.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.