Haley, DeSantis, Other?

16,715 Views | 416 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Cobretti
whiterock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sombear said:

Oldbear83 said:

sombear said:

Since when is Desantis a go-along conformist? Or Youngkin? Or Kemp for that matter? These are strong conservatives who have taken on establishments of all kinds. Being a decent human being who gets things done and who doesn't support wild conspiracy theories does not make you go-along or establishment.
Don't much like Kemp, he's a "conservative" in the same way Pelosi loves America, but I don't know why you brought up DeSantis and Youngkin, who both built support among MAGA voters.

You might want to take a step back before assuming everyone who supports Maga is into conspiracy theories or is locked in to Trump.

And looking at other posts, you also might want to hold off on forecasts of doom until the votes are all counted.
I have GA roots and have long followed GA politics. Kemp is a bona fide conservative and always has been. I mentioned Desantis and Youngkin b/c that is who Trump is now attacking.

I was not assuming or suggesting that. I'm a 2-time Trump voter and raised $ for him. I was making the point that the only reason MAGA folks think Kemp (and some others) is not conservative is b/c he did not buy into the election conspiracies. We have to be honest, Trump has made that a litmus test. I disagree with him on that.

Starting before the election, I have posted what my GOP sources have told me. They were correct before the election (unfortunately) and they have told me since Tues night that Masters, Laxalt, and Walker will lose. I still hope they are wrong. But I'll continue to post what I hear.
Trump's attacks appear to have done more collateral damage than I thought they would. MAGA-world has not crumbled, but there are some small cracks at the edges.

I do think he had to do something. He knows he will have challengers, and it's pretty obvious now who they'll be. Whether or not he has intel about WDC and fundraising establishments trying to crowd him out of the 2024 primary (as he alleges), it would be almost derelict for him not to assume those conversation are ongoing. So he lobs in some arty flares to let everyone know what is going on. To freeze people for a moment on that issue. And yes, to steal some limelight from others (he is running for office, so he is in an election....) That this whole issue is petering out I think tends to confirm that is what we've witnessed. He's trying to define from the outset all potential contenders as having been corrupted by "the establishment." I think that will work with Kemp and Youngkin. Don't think so with RDS.

If RDS can beat Trump, he may be unstoppable.
whiterock
Oldbear83 said:

RMF5630 said:

Canada2017 said:

J.R. said:

Again, you MAGA clowns.... I'm just a simple guy. Here is what Trumpy has deliver for you guys. He lost, the Presidency , lost the Congress, lost the Senate and presided over the Red Wave that wasn't and he gives you Lake (she cray) and Hershel (he dumb). Nice that this is what Trump has delivered! pathetic . Go away, Fat Orange!

Fat Orange is just getting warmed up .

As Trump fades into political obscurity…..he will do everything possible to 'revenge ' himself on the Republican Party .

Going to be epic .
Oh, Yeah, he is going to go Sherman's March to the Sea on the US. He is done. The best we can hope for is one of the charges against him to stick and eliminate him from running
Hell no. Charging Trump makes him a martyr and would embolden Democrats to get charges placed against anyone they feared.

Trump goes away when no one responds to him. Your plan is 'pour gas on fire'.
if we let Dems get by with defeating Trump by indicting him on all kinds of contrived charges, why would they not use the same tactic on Ron DeSantis in 2024? It's not like pushing back against wokeness isn't without legal risk.....

And why, if successful with Trump, would Garland not do the same to stop Glenn Youngkin from getting re-elected? Or Kemp from defeating Ossoff in a Senate race?

The threat to democracy is a sitting AG personally signing an order, after publicly reported pressure from the WH, to raid the personal residence of a former POTUS over a question of document custody....DURING an election, for the purposes of ensuring that unpopular former POTUS would be an issue in the election. It's a breath-taking breach of political ethos.

We are, after all, Republicans,. Therefore, we are obligated to sit and take it.

Sam Lowry
whiterock said:

Oldbear83 said:

RMF5630 said:

Canada2017 said:

J.R. said:

Again, you MAGA clowns.... I'm just a simple guy. Here is what Trumpy has deliver for you guys. He lost, the Presidency , lost the Congress, lost the Senate and presided over the Red Wave that wasn't and he gives you Lake (she cray) and Hershel (he dumb). Nice that this is what Trump has delivered! pathetic . Go away, Fat Orange!

As Trump fades into political obscurity…..he will do everything possible to 'revenge ' himself on the Republican Party .

Going to be epic .
Oh, Yeah, he is going to go Sherman's March to the Sea on the US. He is done. The best we can hope for is one of the charges against him to stick and eliminate him from running
Hell no. Charging Trump makes him a martyr and would embolden Democrats to get charges placed against anyone they feared.

We are, after all, Republicans,. Therefore, we are obligated to sit and take it.
That, or nominate someone who isn't a crook. Tough choice.
FLBear5630
whiterock said:

Oldbear83 said:

RMF5630 said:

Canada2017 said:

J.R. said:

Going to be epic .

if we let Dems get by with defeating Trump by indicting him on all kinds of contrived charges, why would they not use the same tactic on Ron DeSantis in 2024? It's not like pushing back against wokeness isn't without legal risk.....

And why, if successful with Trump, would Garland not do the same to stop Glenn Youngkin from getting re-elected? Or Kemp from defeating Ossoff in a Senate race?

The threat to democracy is a sitting AG personally signing an order, after publicly reported pressure from the WH, to raid the personal residence of a former POTUS over a question of document custody....DURING an election, for the purposes of ensuring that unpopular former POTUS would be an issue in the election. It's a breath-taking breach of political ethos.

At some point, the GOP has to take a stand. Do they back Trump and his crap or NOT. It is real simple and last week brought the question to a head. If the GOP goes into 24 like this, running these types of candidates. Dems will win again. Got to move to the center, not be in the center but move off of the ultra far right.
sombear
You and I have been aligned on most of this, but I have to diverge here. I don't think the issue is we've moved too far to the right. Conservative candidates continue to perform very well in battleground states. The issue is, don't nominate bad candidates - liars, idiots, nut jobs, hypocrites, conspiracy nuts, Trump sycophants. I truly think it's that simple. The Trumpers who lost in the key Senate, Gov, and House races badly underperformed compared to the general House vote in their respective states. And we've all discussed the Gov/Senate ticket splitting ad nauseum - NV, NH, OH, GA, KS, and AZ (even though both lost).

Virtually every election metric is coming back to one predominant factor, candidate quality. And Trumpers can say I'm oversimplifying and blaming the entire election on Trump, but all of the true battleground Gov and Senate races we lost involved Trump-picked candidates who won their primaries against conservative alternatives with higher candidate ratings, higher approvals, and less baggage. And many of the key house races, too - MI, WA, CO, NV, NC, PA, etc.

We of course will never know if these alternatives would have won, but the polling during their primaries had them on average at least 5-6% higher, and the post-election data shows our losing candidates were hurt badly by their strong Trump connection. All of this is just too compelling to disregard.
FLBear5630
sombear said:

You and I have been aligned on most of this, but I have to diverge here. I don't think the issue is we've moved too far to the right. Conservative candidates continue to perform very well in battleground states. The issue is, don't nominate bad candidates - liars, idiots, nut jobs, hypocrites, conspiracy nuts, Trump sycophants. I truly think it's that simple. The Trumpers who lost in the key Senate, Gov, and House races badly underperformed compared to the general House vote in their respective states. And we've all discussed the Gov/Senate ticket splitting ad nauseum - NV, NH, OH, GA, KS, and AZ (even though both lost).

Virtually every election metric is coming back to one predominant factor, candidate quality. And Trumpers can say I'm oversimplifying and blaming the entire election on Trump, but all of the true battleground Gov and Senate races we lost involved Trump-picked candidates who won their primaries against conservative alternatives with higher candidate ratings, higher approvals, and less baggage. And many of the key house races, too - MI, WA, CO, NV, NC, PA, etc.

We of course will never know if these alternatives would have won, but the polling during their primaries had them on average at least 5-6% higher, and the post-election data shows our losing candidates were hurt badly by their strong Trump connection. All of this is just too compelling to disregard.
Ok, I can go there. Candidate quality is the issue in many of those races. Take GA. I love Herschel as a RB and he was one of my favorites at UGA. But, his past is problematic as a US Senator. Lake is way out there and too bombastic. Breibert has alienated a lot of people with her behavior, she is playing to a small minority. Oz? It was ridiculous. Trump liking you is not a qualification

Attacking DeSantis, Youngkin is too much
Jack Bauer
Well, we know who the Dems are worried about...

Osodecentx
Jack Bauer said:

Well, we know who the Dems are worried about...

Apparently Dems and Trump have something in common.
whiterock
RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

Oldbear83 said:

RMF5630 said:

Canada2017 said:

J.R. said:

Going to be epic .

At some point, the GOP has to take a stand. Do they back Trump and his crap or NOT. It is real simple and last week brought the question to a head. If the GOP goes into 24 like this, running these types of candidates. Dems will win again. Got to move to the center, not be in the center but move off of the ultra far right.
With respect, you are completely off target. The biggest part of the problem we face has not been discussed in these threads. And there is plenty of blame to go around within our party.

I spoke yesterday with a long-time political friend who is Ex.Dir. for one of the largest conservative PACs in the country = 180m voter contacts this cycle. I had hoped to be able to speak with him while driving to DFW to catch a flight, but as things go...he was in a meeting, texted me back....and when he called back I was literally on the gangway boarding the plane, so we had a very compressed conversation. Given time constraints, I focused on what I thought were the key 2-3 issues.

Q: I am less concerned Biden or Fetterman or Katie Hobbs won their races than I am that they didn't even bother to campaign. Keeping Fetterman and Biden hidden had some justification, but Hobbs? In a hotly contested purple state? Is the Dem machine so good it can elect a notional candidate?
Answer: That is exactly it. Dems have built a machine of ostensibly non-partisan 501c3's organized around "get out the vote" activities, but in fact they only chase and organize key Democrat constituencies. Yes, we have such activities on the right (my friend's organization being one of them). But Dem efforts DWARF our own. They are spending nearly a billion dollars a cycle in just 7-8 states. They micro-target (a science invented by one K. Rove) very narrowly, just a few hundred thousand voters. Like "single, unmarried women." They use public data lists to find those voters, register them to vote. Then to talk to them, to make sure they get emails & texts on latest news that speaks to that voter's narrow concerns. Then, they help them get signed up to vote by mail, or reminded to vote early, or to vote on election day. $50m a year in GA, grinding a way to build up a bank of voters.
(remember what I said earlier...."you have to find your voters, talk to them, and mobilize them to vote.)
Dems raise the money to do this from mostly corporate donors: Google. Facebook, etc.... This money does not appear in published direct/indirect spending comparisons. (like below)

Q) So what's the hinderance to matching that on our side:
Most GOP donors want to give to candidates or McConnell, as a direct contribution. That gives them access for dialogue on legislation. When asked to direct some/all of their charitable donations to 501c3's to organize voters.....they just waive it off...."I've given enough." He mentioned one corporation in particular that gives most of its charity to the Girl Scouts. Fine cause, for sure. How many of us have had daughters who benefited from that organization? But Dems will routinely scale back the true charity for political activism. Not so Republicans. (comment: Republican businessmen are, as a rule, HORRIBLE at politics. There are exceptions, for sure, but they look at political capital the say way they look at financial capital, when in fact the two are wildly different things Cutting deals to get stuff done is good business, they think; standing on principle to fight for what you believe in is just not something a businessman can do. There is a balance sheet and an income statement that provide hard parameters for what is possible in business. The idea that the Overton Window is not set in concrete but is in fact a rubber thing that can be stretched and moved around is a concept they just wave off as nonsense.)

I could go on.....

Bottom line is, the case that Tuesday results were caused by MAGA is just wildly contrived. A primary endorsement is hardly the totality of a campaign. Trump's win/loss record outclasses that of any modern contemporary.

In being tough on Trump, we cannot spare the RNC. If, as sombear indicated, we really did hit the metrics the GOP machine in WDC thought we needed to hit, didn't the result clearly show the GOP machine was working inadequate metrics? (the Romney 2012 problem). And McConnell. Spending millions & millions in Alaska in a race where only a Republican could win, rather than dumping all that money into NV. Or into NH. Or into AZ..... You know, there can few better winks & nods to hard & soft money than to watch where the Leader spends and go thusly. So is it only Trump that starved off money from some of these campaigns?

We cannot get distracted with what we WANT the problem to be. (Trump or Establishment). We have to calm down and get granular repairs & constructions to win in 2024. That's what makes the Desantis win so intriguing. He's onto something.

My friend and I discussed Desantis a bit.
Q) Does Desantis understand that MAGA has to be wooed rather than cudgeled?
Answer: Indeed. Not only does he seem to be the only one who understands that, he's probably the only one who can do that.
Q) How good is his team? (consultants, etc.....)
Answer: The best, by far. Just as good as the candidate himself.

Q) Is Trump working the problem?
Answer: (Chuckle). Yes and no. He's always working. But he and his team see the task as one of brand identity. Everything serves that. And the poking & backstabbing he's gotten has only made him more distrustful of establishments not actually on his payroll.

whiterock
A word on candidate quality: There is no bigger piece of BS than that. It is total establishmentarian defense of a bad plan.

Dems can elect people who cannot speak in coherent sentences, and do not even bother to campaign.

Because they don't care about candidate quality. They just need a name on the ballot. The machine does the rest.

We can build that machine.
If we want to.

Or we can squabble about Trump v. McConnell.
but only losers will get caught up in that nonsense.
whiterock
Now, here's a guy who is definitely working the problem:

[url=https://twitter.com/greg_price11/status/1592261363606646784?s=46&t=7Bl4iQc8i1DUPXbDqiJmYA] [/url]

Remember that next time he's taking incoming flak.
They have a saying about taking flack in politics.
It usually means you're over the target.

Sam Lowry
whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

Oldbear83 said:

RMF5630 said:

Canada2017 said:

J.R. said:

Going to be epic .

With respect, you are completely off target. The biggest part of the problem we face has not been discussed in these threads. And there is plenty of blame to go around within our party.

I spoke yesterday with a long-time political friend who is Ex.Dir. for one of the largest conservative PACs in the country = 180m voter contacts this cycle. I had hoped to be able to speak with him while driving to DFW to catch a flight, but as things go...he was in a meeting, texted me back....and when he called back I was literally on the gangway boarding the plane, so we had a very compressed conversation. Given time constraints, I focused on what I thought were the key 2-3 issues.

Q: I am less concerned Biden or Fetterman or Katie Hobbs won their races than I am that they didn't even bother to campaign. Keeping Fetterman and Biden hidden had some justification, but Hobbs? In a hotly contested purple state? Is the Dem machine so good it can elect a notional candidate?
Answer: That is exactly it. Dems have built a machine of ostensibly non-partisan 501c3's organized around "get out the vote" activities, but in fact they only chase and organize key Democrat constituencies. Yes, we have such activities on the right (my friend's organization being one of them). But Dem efforts DWARF our own. They are spending nearly a billion dollars a cycle in just 7-8 states. They micro-target (a science invented by one K. Rove) very narrowly, just a few hundred thousand voters. Like "single, unmarried women." They use public data lists to find those voters, register them to vote. Then to talk to them, to make sure they get emails & texts on latest news that speaks to that voter's narrow concerns. Then, they help them get signed up to vote by mail, or reminded to vote early, or to vote on election day. $50m a year in GA, grinding a way to build up a bank of voters.
(remember what I said earlier...."you have to find your voters, talk to them, and mobilize them to vote.)
Dems raise the money to do this from mostly corporate donors: Google. Facebook, etc.... This money does not appear in published direct/indirect spending comparisons. (like below)

Most GOP donors want to give to candidates or McConnell, as a direct contribution. That gives them access for dialogue on legislation. When asked to direct some/all of their charitable donations to 501c3's to organize voters.....they just waive it off...."I've given enough." He mentioned one corporation in particular that gives most of its charity to the Girl Scouts. Fine cause, for sure. How many of us have had daughters who benefited from that organization? But Dems will routinely scale back the true charity for political activism. Not so Republicans. (comment: Republican businessmen are, as a rule, HORRIBLE at politics. There are exceptions, for sure, but they look at political capital the say way they look at financial capital, when in fact the two are wildly different things Cutting deals to get stuff done is good business, they think; standing on principle to fight for what you believe in is just not something a businessman can do. There is a balance sheet and an income statement that provide hard parameters for what is possible in business. The idea that the Overton Window is not set in concrete but is in fact a rubber thing that can be stretched and moved around is a concept they just wave off as nonsense.)

I could go on.....

Bottom line is, the case that Tuesday results were caused by MAGA is just wildly contrived. A primary endorsement is hardly the totality of a campaign. Trump's win/loss record outclasses that of any modern contemporary.

In being tough on Trump, we cannot spare the RNC. If, as sombear indicated, we really did hit the metrics the GOP machine in WDC thought we needed to hit, didn't the result clearly show the GOP machine was working inadequate metrics? (the Romney 2012 problem). And McConnell. Spending millions & millions in Alaska in a race where only a Republican could win, rather than dumping all that money into NV. Or into NH. Or into AZ..... You know, there can few better winks & nods to hard & soft money than to watch where the Leader spends and go thusly. So is it only Trump that starved off money from some of these campaigns?

We cannot get distracted with what we WANT the problem to be. (Trump or Establishment). We have to calm down and get granular repairs & constructions to win in 2024. That's what makes the Desantis win so intriguing. He's onto something.

Answer: Indeed. Not only does he seem to be the only one who understands that, he's probably the only one who can do that.

Answer: (Chuckle). Yes and no. He's always working. But he and his team see the task as one of brand identity. Everything serves that. And the poking & backstabbing he's gotten has only made him more distrustful of establishments not actually on his payroll.

Amazing how the Dems just invented this get out the vote system in 2022, the same year the GOP happened to run a historically poor set of candidates.
whiterock
Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

Oldbear83 said:

RMF5630 said:

Canada2017 said:

J.R. said:

Going to be epic .

I could go on.....

Amazing how the Dems just invented this get out the vote system in 2022, the same year the GOP happened to run a historically poor set of candidates.
I didn't say that.

They've been doing it since at least 2012 in Texas. Almost beat Cruz in 2018 with it. Thanks to in-migration of conservatives from other states, we've managed to offset it. But if we build a competing machine, we'll widen our margin of victory to where we can be a red-state again instead of a purple state.

Or, better yet, we can shine a light on what's happening. It is fraud, you know......
FLBear5630
whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

Oldbear83 said:

RMF5630 said:

Canada2017 said:

J.R. said:

Going to be epic .

I could go on.....

DeSantis does not alienate the middle. He embraced issues the middle care about.

He knows he has the Right. Florida now has more registered Republicans than Dems for the first time. That is because of the freedoms DeSantis ensured we had during the COVID mess.

DeSantis has wooed the moderates with education, health care and economy. The "kitchen table" items. He won not going more to the Right, but by being a reasonable adult and knowing what is worth fighting for. Taking on the Left on transgender in elementary school is not a huge risk! Lowering tolls. Keeping businesses open. All are not "far right" issues. He won because he is not Greene, Trump and Gaetz!

muddybrazos
RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

Oldbear83 said:

RMF5630 said:

Canada2017 said:

J.R. said:

Going to be epic .

I could go on.....

DeSantis does not alienate the middle. He embraced issues the middle care about.

He knows he has the Right. Florida now has more registered Republicans than Dems for the first time. That is because of the freedoms DeSantis ensured we had during the COVID mess.

DeSantis has wooed the moderates with education, health care and economy. The "kitchen table" items. He won not going more to the Right, but by being a reasonable adult and knowing what is worth fighting for. Taking on the Left on transgender in elementary school is not a huge risk! Lowering tolls. Keeping businesses open. All are not "far right" issues. He won because he is not Greene, Trump and Gaetz!

Florida is now solidly red bc 800-900k republican voters moved there from blue states. Yes, mostly bc of covid policies that were put in place by Desantis. Also, Scott Pressler is there working hard doing the type of things that Whiterock was talking about above. I do think the republicans cannot move to more moderate Romney type candidates if they want to win. The GOP of running a milquetoast establishment chump is over and is not a winning strategy. If they do go that route then good luck bc I'll just vote for governor and local elections like I used to do back in the Bush/Obama years.
FLBear5630
muddybrazos said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

Oldbear83 said:

RMF5630 said:

Canada2017 said:

J.R. said:

Going to be epic .

I could go on.....

Florida is now solidly red bc 800-900k republican voters moved there from blue states. Yes, mostly bc of covid policies that were put in place by Desantis. Also, Scott Pressler is there working hard doing the type of things that Whiterock was talking about above. I do think the republicans cannot move to more moderate Romney type candidates if they want to win. The GOP of running a milquetoast establishment chump is over and is not a winning strategy. If they do go that route then good luck bc I'll just vote for governor and local elections like I used to do back in the Bush/Obama years.
There is a difference between moving more middle than Trump or Greene and going to Romney & McCain type candidates! DeSantis is managing the middle and doing quite well, not going as far as MAGA (2022) wants to go. He understands he will chase the moderates and independents away if he is too far right. His policies are Regan-esque, but he does not have his warmth or vision of American as a beacon.
Canada2017
Dem power brokers are damned clever.

A. 'Bought' votes with tuition forgiveness . Thrilled not only the students involved but their extended families as well. Best part.......looks as though the funding itself won't actually occur. Brilliant gameplay. .

B. Intentionally financed the weakest potential Republican in key primary races. Worked like a charm.

C. Hammered home the bizarre fantasy that the collection of unarmed grandpa's and grandma's on January 6th constituted a legitimate 'threat' to our democracy . Media lapdogs ate it up and the weak minded with short attention spans bought into it.

D. Abortion. Convinced the perpetually stupid that the 'right' to abortion was threatened with a nation wide ban . Of course even 4 minutes of thought would reveal such a ban would be impossible to achieve.

E. Long term demographics. Dems accurately portray themselves as an illegals best buddy . Handouts galore....come one come all ! Children of illegals born in the United States can vote when 18 and this process has been going on for decades. Hispanics will be the dominant political force in the United states within 20 years at the latest.

Republicans lost because the Dems are smarter....more ruthless .....better organized ....and hungrier for power. Republicans only hope is to get far more women and Hispanics into positions of party leadership as the old White Boys Country Club days are finished .
muddybrazos
Canada2017 said:

A. 'Bought' votes with tuition forgiveness . Thrilled not only the students involved but their extended families as well. Best part.......looks as though the funding itself won't actually occur. Brilliant gameplay. .

B. Intentionally financed the weakest potential Republican in key primary races. Worked like a charm.

C. Hammered home the bizarre fantasy that the collection of unarmed grandpa's and grandma's on January 6th constituted a legitimate 'threat' to our democracy . Media lapdogs ate it up and the weak minded with short attention spans bought into it.

D. Abortion. Convinced the perpetually stupid that the 'right' to abortion was threatened with a nation wide ban . Of course even 4 minutes of thought would reveal such a ban would be impossible to achieve.

E. Long term demographics. Dems accurately portray themselves as an illegals best buddy . Handouts galore....come one come all ! Children of illegals born in the United States can vote when 18 and this process has been going on for decades. Hispanics will be the dominant political force in the United states within 20 years at the latest.

Republicans lost because the Dems are smarter....more ruthless .....better organized ....and hungrier for power. Republicans only hope is to get far more women and Hispanics into positions of party leadership as the old White Boys Country Club days are finished .
They can try that strategy but I dont see it working. You're going to get some hispanics but I just dont see them ever getting over half of them and the repubs cant even get 10% of blacks so they may as well quit there. Trying to get more whites is the best bet. Maybe actually promise whites something and then deliver rather than just carrot and stick them some more.
ATL Bear
whiterock said:

A word on candidate quality: There is no bigger piece of BS than that. It is total establishmentarian defense of a bad plan.

Dems can elect people who cannot speak in coherent sentences, and do not even bother to campaign.

Because they don't care about candidate quality. They just need a name on the ballot. The machine does the rest.

If we want to.

Just look at the break numbers from non Trump candidate and Trump candidate on common ballots. It broke an average of 10-20%, even in the reddest of red places. Candidates matter. You can blame spending and other impacts but it wasn't as big a factor as the elephant in the room. The reason Dems are united is that they don't have a giant dividing force within their own party pushing completely different candidates in mass scale at the primary level, which carries over into the general. At least not one like Trump.
Canada2017
muddybrazos said:

Canada2017 said:

They can try that strategy but I dont see it working. You're going to get some hispanics but I just dont see them ever getting over half of them and the repubs cant even get 10% of blacks so they may as well quit there. Trying to get more whites is the best bet. Maybe actually promise whites something and then deliver rather than just carrot and stick them some more.
Demographics don't lie.......Hispanics are going to be the dominant racial and political culture of the United States within another couple of generations .

Republicans either need to find a way to embrace this wave or get drowned by it .

Old White Boy Country Club is dead.
Harrison Bergeron
ATL Bear said:

whiterock said:

If we want to.

Just look at the break numbers from non Trump candidate and Trump candidate on common ballots. It broke an average of 10-20%, even in the reddest of red places. Candidates matter. You can blame spending and other impacts but it wasn't as big a factor as the elephant in the room. The reason Dems are united is that they don't have a giant dividing force within their own party pushing completely different candidates in mass scale at the primary level, which carries over into the general. At least not one like Trump.

Lost in the details was the amount of dark money Democrats spent on bad GOP candidates in the Republican primaries. For all the fake hysterics the Democrats funded a bunch of candidates they claim are THREATS TO DEMOCRACY.

Good candidates and money win elections. It is going to be difficult moving forward as the Democrats have become the part of the globalist uber-rich who continue to pour records amount of money on Democrat candidates. That's why the GOP needs to be in-line with clear messaging and good candidates.

It is going to be difficult to push back against virtually every institution, the regime media, and global billions.
FLBear5630
Harrison Bergeron said:

ATL Bear said:

whiterock said:

If we want to.

Lost in the details was the amount of dark money Democrats spent on bad GOP candidates in the Republican primaries. For all the fake hysterics the Democrats funded a bunch of candidates they claim are THREATS TO DEMOCRACY.

Good candidates and money win elections. It is going to be difficult moving forward as the Democrats have become the part of the globalist uber-rich who continue to pour records amount of money on Democrat candidates. That's why the GOP needs to be in-line with clear messaging and good candidates.

It is going to be difficult to push back against virtually every institution, the regime media, and global billions.
I'll be happy if we can get moderate Republicans elected in those areas.
Oldbear83
"Hispanics are going to be the dominant racial and political culture of the United States within another couple of generations .

Republicans either need to find a way to embrace this wave or get drowned by it ."

The sheer idea that Republicans should have a harder time than Democrats to win over people whose traditions and culture are based on Faith, Family and the Work Ethic, is absurd.

Yet men like McConnell and women like Cheney are working against that culture.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
whiterock
RMF5630 said:

muddybrazos said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

Oldbear83 said:

RMF5630 said:

Canada2017 said:

J.R. said:

Going to be epic .

I could go on.....

There is a difference between moving more middle than Trump or Greene and going to Romney & McCain type candidates! DeSantis is managing the middle and doing quite well, not going as far as MAGA (2022) wants to go. He understands he will chase the moderates and independents away if he is too far right. His policies are Regan-esque, but he does not have his warmth or vision of American as a beacon.

He's managing the middle by winning them over to conservative policies, not by adopting centrist/moderate positions.

And the immigration did not hurt. 3/4th or so if the in-migrants are conservatives. That's a third or more of his victory margin.

Not saying he is isn't talented.
Saying don't get out over our skis.
Primary is a long way off.
Slow down,
Watch.
Think.
whiterock
Oldbear83 said:

"Hispanics are going to be the dominant racial and political culture of the United States within another couple of generations .

Republicans either need to find a way to embrace this wave or get drowned by it ."

The sheer idea that Republicans should have a harder time than Democrats to win over people whose traditions and culture are based on Faith, Family and the Work Ethic, is absurd.

Yet men like McConnell and women like Cheney are working against that culture.

We've picked up double-digit gains the last two cycles and it will continue. It will continue and the old-establishment cannot stop it. GOP on its way to being a multi-racial working class party.

Ignore the title and focus on the details.
https://spectatorworld.com/topic/this-election-was-no-loss-for-trump/
whiterock
RMF5630 said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

ATL Bear said:

whiterock said:

If we want to.

I'll be happy if we can get moderate Republicans elected in those areas.

There is an old saying in foreign affairs…"things tend to move gradually, then suddenly."

The conventional wisdom that demographics are moving toward Democrats is static analysis that is being slowly disproven. Then it will suddenly boomerang on them. And along the way, institutions will change….gradually, or suddenly.
J.B.Katz
LIB,MR BEARS said:

For the sake of this thread, let's assume Trump isn't running. Who would get your vote (assuming you are still living) in a republican primary?

If you will be dead, what dem gets your vote?
This didn't age well.
FLBear5630
whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

muddybrazos said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

Oldbear83 said:

RMF5630 said:

Canada2017 said:

J.R. said:

Going to be epic .

I could go on.....

He's managing the middle by winning them over to conservative policies, not by adopting centrist/moderate positions.

And the immigration did not hurt. 3/4th or so if the in-migrants are conservatives. That's a third or more of his victory margin.

Slow down,
Watch.
Think.

He is winning them over by governing effectively. You guys keep overlooking that little tidbit. His fights are on family issues like education and impact of progressive policies on kids. He is not turning everything about him or about fear. MAGA is about rhetoric and a fear message of vote for me or else this will happen. Huge difference. You can talk demographics, PAC analysis and conservative i.migration all you like. Bottom line it will come down to freedom to live your life and ha ing a future. MAGA is not running in that platform, they are allowing themselves to be the restrictive ones.
Time to get back to the shining city onthe hill, Nota dark MAGA dystopia...
whiterock
RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

muddybrazos said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

Oldbear83 said:

RMF5630 said:

Canada2017 said:

J.R. said:

Going to be epic .

I could go on.....

Slow down,
Watch.
Think.

He is winning them over by governing effectively. You guys keep overlooking that little tidbit. His fights are on family issues like education and impact of progressive policies on kids. He is not turning everything about him or about fear. MAGA is about rhetoric and a fear message of vote for me or else this will happen. Huge difference. You can talk demographics, PAC analysis and conservative i.migration all you like. Bottom line it will come down to freedom to live your life and ha ing a future. MAGA is not running in that platform, they are allowing themselves to be the restrictive ones.
He is definitely governing efficiently.

So did Trump. The results speak for themselves. It's just Democrats and media created contrived scandald after the other. He didn't always react optimally. But his record of peace and prosperity is quite a legacy.

Yeah, the Freedom messaging is, for the GOP voter, an appeal to fear. People are so afraid of Democrats they're leaving blue states every year, literally by the millions. Trump and DeSantis are each making the appeal. The issue is, who makes that appeal more effectively. Voters will decide.

Concepts matter, for sure. I'm a big picture guy by nature. But when you run an election, your consultants have to come up with a quite long document planning out the roadmap to victory. Who are your voters. How will you speak to them. How will you win them over. How will you turn them out to vote. Included in that is an enormous spreadsheet of numbers. Not state level numbers. Not county level numbers. PRECINCT level numbers. WARD level numbers. Very, very slender slices of certain demographics, several of which nobody even thought of last election cycle. Micro Micro MIcro. That's how Democrats beat us this go around. They are in a different universe that we are. They turned out THEIR voters are a rate which defied all the polling. Not nationwide. Not statewide. They did it by hyperfocusing on small slivers of the electorate, like single unmarried women......with messaging that nobody on our side really thought made sense.

And if you ask careful, precise questions about that to Desantis next time you meet him, hopefully you can figure out what were his metrics. He did a LOT more than issue better platitudes than Crist. He had a machine that ground Democrats to fine bits.

But he also turned out his base...HIS voters...at a rate which swamped Democrats. We just did not do that anywhere else.

You cannot win without getting your base whipped up into more of a fervor than the other guy.
whiterock
RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

muddybrazos said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

Oldbear83 said:

RMF5630 said:

Canada2017 said:

J.R. said:

Going to be epic .

I could go on.....

Slow down,
Watch.
Think.

Did Democrats win on a positive platform of superior governance?

Or did they win on a platform of dark, dystopian nightmares?

Slow down.
Think…..
FLBear5630
whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

muddybrazos said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

Oldbear83 said:

RMF5630 said:

Canada2017 said:

J.R. said:

Going to be epic .

I could go on.....

Slow down,
Watch.
Think.

He is definitely governing efficiently.

So did Trump. The results speak for themselves. It's just Democrats and media created contrived scandald after the other. He didn't always react optimally. But his record of peace and prosperity is quite a legacy.

Yeah, the Freedom messaging is, for the GOP voter, an appeal to fear. People are so afraid of Democrats they're leaving blue states every year, literally by the millions. Trump and DeSantis are each making the appeal. The issue is, who makes that appeal more effectively. Voters will decide.

Concepts matter, for sure. I'm a big picture guy by nature. But when you run an election, your consultants have to come up with a quite long document planning out the roadmap to victory. Who are your voters. How will you speak to them. How will you win them over. How will you turn them out to vote. Included in that is an enormous spreadsheet of numbers. Not state level numbers. Not county level numbers. PRECINCT level numbers. WARD level numbers. Very, very slender slices of certain demographics, several of which nobody even thought of last election cycle. Micro Micro MIcro. That's how Democrats beat us this go around. They are in a different universe that we are. They turned out THEIR voters are a rate which defied all the polling. Not nationwide. Not statewide. They did it by hyperfocusing on small slivers of the electorate, like single unmarried women......with messaging that nobody on our side really thought made sense.

And if you ask careful, precise questions about that to Desantis next time you meet him, hopefully you can figure out what were his metrics. He did a LOT more than issue better platitudes than Crist. He had a machine that ground Democrats to fine bits.

But he also turned out his base...HIS voters...at a rate which swamped Democrats. We just did not do that anywhere else.

You cannot win without getting your base whipped up into more of a fervor than the other guy.
No, Trump did not. His whole Administration was a circus. He had good policies that were consistent with the MAGA of Reagan in 2016, which were 180 degrees opposite what he espoused most of his adult life (see Studio 54 Trump and his views).

He won against a bad Dem Candidate that was more unlikeable than him after coming off a successful TV show. Let's not make him some Statesman that was a depth of political thought before he woke up one day and said I want to be President. Talk to New Yorkers. He was an ******* that had good instincts, but also a self-destructive mess. If not for Hillary, he is never President.

Let's get into his Administration that Governed so well. How many people left? How many were considered respected professionals that were ultimately disparaged?
Brookings tracked at 92%, here is the quote:

"President Trump's "A Team" turnover is 92% as of January 20, 2021"

https://www.brookings.edu/research/tracking-turnover-in-the-trump-administration/

Yeah, I know it is all those people's fault, right? RINOs...

You can play the Demographic game all you want. Trump, runs. He loses. Why? There will be record turnout by Dems, Independents and Suburban Women (Rep, Dem, Ind, Green, and every other Party known to man) to make sure he doesn't win ever again. The guy is hated by most of the Nation.

4th and Inches
Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

RMF5630 said:

whiterock said:

Oldbear83 said:

RMF5630 said:

Canada2017 said:

J.R. said:

Going to be epic .

I could go on.....

lol, they didnt invent it in 2022.. they have been building it since 2008. 2016 was an off year for the system but the growth of the system(rule changes) in 2020 and the new targeting algorithm they are using proved itself in 2022.
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
whiterock
Interesting commentary from The Economist:

on november 8th someone won the $2bn Powerball, the biggest-ever lottery prize. On the same day Ron DeSantis, the governor of Florida, won a different sort of jackpot. Voters re-elected him by a nearly 20-point marginthe widest by a Republican candidate for governor in Florida's modern history, and a stunning improvement from 2018, when Mr DeSantis won by just 0.4%, thanks to an endorsement by Donald Trump. Mr DeSantis is also the first Republican governor to win heavily Hispanic Miami-Dade County in 20 years. Attention has already turned to what comes next for him: "Two more years!" chanted supporters at his victory rallyurging him to make a bid for the White House in 2024. Mr DeSantis smiled.If Mr Trump runs again for president in 2024 (he has strongly hinted he could announce as early as next week), he may find himself pitted against Mr DeSantis in the Republican primary. Who is the favourite? Among Floridians, at least, Mr DeSantis appears to have the edge: even before his midterm victory, Data for Progress, a think-tank, polled likely Republican voters in the state and found that 44% said they would vote for him if the presidential primary were held tomorrow. Some 42% said they would support Mr Trump (see chart). Only 60% had a "very favourable" opinion of Mr Trump, compared with 87% who gave Mr DeSantis top marks.

The polling was limited to Floridians; though Florida has historically been an important swing state in presidential elections, primary voters in Iowa and New Hampshire will have a bigger say in picking the Republican nominee for 2024. Still, Mr DeSantis's relative popularity is remarkable in a state that Mr Trump won just two years ago, and currently lives in. The former president appears rattled. On November 10th Mr Trump issued a lengthy statement, calling Mr DeSantis an "average" politician who was in "desperate shape" during his first campaign in 2017until Mr Trump "fixed his campaign". He accused Mr DeSantis of "playing games" by refusing to rule out a presidential bid and warned him off running. Many Republicans disagree. After his re-election Mr DeSantis was dubbed "DeFUTURE" of the party by the New York Post, a conservative paper that endorsed Mr Trump in 2020.

Mr DeSantis has presented himself as Trump without the baggage. He shot to national attention during the covid-19 pandemic for opposing mandates for masks and vaccines. He shares Mr Trump's populist tendencies, publicly attacking the media and "woke" companies like Disney, and taking on culture-war issues, including the teaching of sex education and gender identity in classrooms. But unlike Mr Trump he has mostly steered clear of election denialism. "Keep Florida Free" has been Mr DeSantis's campaign mantra. But a rivalry with Mr Trump is not likely to be free of drama.
whiterock
The Desantis numbers are what would expect to see for a guy who just win the state polled by 60/40.

The Trump favorability numbers are surprisingly high and temper the polling results we've seen out of Tx showing Desantis leapfrogging Trump.

Will be a horse race.

FLBear5630
whiterock said:

Interesting commentary from The Economist:

on november 8th someone won the $2bn Powerball, the biggest-ever lottery prize. On the same day Ron DeSantis, the governor of Florida, won a different sort of jackpot. Voters re-elected him by a nearly 20-point marginthe widest by a Republican candidate for governor in Florida's modern history, and a stunning improvement from 2018, when Mr DeSantis won by just 0.4%, thanks to an endorsement by Donald Trump. Mr DeSantis is also the first Republican governor to win heavily Hispanic Miami-Dade County in 20 years. Attention has already turned to what comes next for him: "Two more years!" chanted supporters at his victory rallyurging him to make a bid for the White House in 2024. Mr DeSantis smiled.If Mr Trump runs again for president in 2024 (he has strongly hinted he could announce as early as next week), he may find himself pitted against Mr DeSantis in the Republican primary. Who is the favourite? Among Floridians, at least, Mr DeSantis appears to have the edge: even before his midterm victory, Data for Progress, a think-tank, polled likely Republican voters in the state and found that 44% said they would vote for him if the presidential primary were held tomorrow. Some 42% said they would support Mr Trump (see chart). Only 60% had a "very favourable" opinion of Mr Trump, compared with 87% who gave Mr DeSantis top marks.

The polling was limited to Floridians; though Florida has historically been an important swing state in presidential elections, primary voters in Iowa and New Hampshire will have a bigger say in picking the Republican nominee for 2024. Still, Mr DeSantis's relative popularity is remarkable in a state that Mr Trump won just two years ago, and currently lives in. The former president appears rattled. On November 10th Mr Trump issued a lengthy statement, calling Mr DeSantis an "average" politician who was in "desperate shape" during his first campaign in 2017until Mr Trump "fixed his campaign". He accused Mr DeSantis of "playing games" by refusing to rule out a presidential bid and warned him off running. Many Republicans disagree. After his re-election Mr DeSantis was dubbed "DeFUTURE" of the party by the New York Post, a conservative paper that endorsed Mr Trump in 2020.

Mr DeSantis has presented himself as Trump without the baggage. He shot to national attention during the covid-19 pandemic for opposing mandates for masks and vaccines. He shares Mr Trump's populist tendencies, publicly attacking the media and "woke" companies like Disney, and taking on culture-war issues, including the teaching of sex education and gender identity in classrooms. But unlike Mr Trump he has mostly steered clear of election denialism. "Keep Florida Free" has been Mr DeSantis's campaign mantra. But a rivalry with Mr Trump is not likely to be free of drama.
Very consistent with what I am seeing living here. "Keep Florida Free" would be his T-Shirt/Hat, not MAGA.

Election stuff is perfect example, he has not gotten into the election denial, DeSantis is more pragmatic than Trump or Reagan. HIs view is it does not matter if he agrees, it is what it is. But, if you notice, Florida's elections are run tight, laws are in place and outcomes are known next day. That is great example of DeSantis. His taking on Disney and hitting them in their Reedy Creek weak spot, is also a good example. I have no complaints with him at the wheel, he handled Pandemic and Ian very well.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.