OFFICIAL ELECTION THREAD, 11-8-22

43,201 Views | 1063 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by whiterock
Wrecks Quan Dough
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pam Manhart said:

Doc Holliday said:

PA just elected an incompetent vegetable.

They'll get what they voted for.
And then move here

It is what locusts do. Destroy a healthy field and move to the next.
Mothra
Booray said:

In the same way, the Democratic Party needed a wake-up call it did not get last night. The results increase the chance that Joe Biden will lead the ticket against Ron Desantis. If that happens you will get your red wave two years late.

Perhaps, but I fear that both parties are so entrenched in their ideology, nobody has learned anything from last night. I hope I am wrong, but I fully expect Trump to be the nominee if he runs. It would be great if the Trump sycophants realized they are backing a self aggrandizing narcissist who only cares about himself.

Likewise it would be nice if Democrats realize that woke policies are very bad for the country. But of course the Democrats are calling scoreboard after last night, with the White House declaring it a resounding Democrat victory. I'm sure this will further emboldened Democrats to continue on their woke path.

Hope I'm wrong.
whiterock
Mothra said:

Booray said:

In the same way, the Democratic Party needed a wake-up call it did not get last night. The results increase the chance that Joe Biden will lead the ticket against Ron Desantis. If that happens you will get your red wave two years late.

Perhaps, but I fear that both parties are so entrenched in their ideology, didn't nobody has learned anything from last night. I hope I am wrong. It would be great if the Trump sycophants realized they are backing a self aggrandizing narcissist who only cares about himself. Likewise it would be nice if Democrats realize that woke policies are very bad for the country.
Booray is correct.
Mothra
In other nuttiness, California, a state that legalized recreational marijuana use, has banned the sale of flavored tobacco products. So California voters and politicians are cool with a recreational drug that lowers the IQ, increases the risk of depression, psychosis and suicide, and generally has an ill effect on mental health, but a product that causes lip cancer is beyond the pale. SMH.
JXL
whiterock said:

EX: Exit polling is clear that Threat To Democracy and Abortion were huge issues with thoe who voted.

Are those key issues with voters at large? Was all the polling about inflation and economy wrong?

no.

Remember what I said many times: a pollster has to poll the people who actually vote.

A majority of voters think inflation and the economy ARE the big issues.
but those voters didn't show up and vote.

A smaller number of voters think abortion and threats to democracy are the big issues.
but those voters are who showed up and voted.

Every election is a base election.
If you do not turn out your own base, the independents don't matter a damned bit.

You can't win elections with just your base. Nominating Trump might fire up his base of support, but he would be unlikely to pull enough support from outside of his base to win.
Mothra
whiterock said:

Mothra said:

Booray said:

Perhaps, but I fear that both parties are so entrenched in their ideology, didn't nobody has learned anything from last night. I hope I am wrong. It would be great if the Trump sycophants realized they are backing a self aggrandizing narcissist who only cares about himself. Likewise it would be nice if Democrats realize that woke policies are very bad for the country.
Booray is correct.

Just to be clear, you no longer think it's going to be Trump but instead DeSantis that's the republican nominee?
Canada2017
Dems are far more clear sighted and ruthless than Republicans.

Biden will get the boot by Dem power brokers ( along with a golden parachute of overinflated speaking fees and book deals ).

The governor of California will be Dem nominee for president in 2024.

Count on it .
BaylorGuy314
If Trump runs, just go ahead and give the election to the Democrats in 24. That's the worst idea ever.
Doc Holliday
Booray said:

these elections are a precursor to what the future holds. A Voting populace that doesn't care about results, but cares about what they're fed by the media. The media that's increasingly leaning hard left.

If you've ever studied radical leftism from last century, communists blamed the opposition all the way to them starving to death, in the face of their leftist leaders causing all the problems. Gulag prisoners were blaming their political opposition all the way to be taken out and shot in the back of the head by their leftist government.

This is what happens to the human psyche when you believe in people claiming they can create Utopia by destroying an evil boogeyman.

The American left is going to eat up what they're told in the face of economic destruction and won't budge, so long as the left continues to control big tech and information.
whiterock
Mothra said:

whiterock said:

Mothra said:

Booray said:

Booray is correct.

Just to be clear, you no longer think it's going to be Trump but instead DeSantis that's the republican nominee?
Too early to tell. DeSantis REALLY helped his case.

Trump's mistake was not going out balls to the wall on the campaign trail. It's not like the outcome could have been any worse. All it did was leave the door open for DeSantis to shine. And boy did he.
J.R.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

J.R. said:

Cobretti said:

That Lake is one crazy biatch.
You Sir, don't seem to have a conservative bone in your body.

Were you taken aback at all by your President's shut down the coal industry and no more drilling comments this past week? I would think most oil and gas people would not be happy with them. But not you.
I am very conservative on fiscal issues. However, this crazy women is part of the "lunatic fringe" via Trump. How'd that all work out last night? Trumpians and Trump got their ass kicked.
J.R.
Mothra said:

ATL Bear said:

And people want Trump to be a powerful PAC force in the party. Maybe the die hards will realize he drives the independents away, and promotes difficult to elect candidates. This red wave turned into a potential Senate step back and a modest pick up in the house.

Yup. The Trump effect backfired, as many predicted. He's toxic outside of his sycophants and base. Independents hate him and they're what win or lose elections.
this we can agree on!
Canada2017
whiterock said:

Mothra said:

whiterock said:

Mothra said:

Booray said:

Booray is correct.

Trump's mistake was not going out balls to the wall on the campaign trail. It's not like the outcome could have been any worse. All it did was leave the door open for DeSantis to shine. And boy did he.

Trump is political poison to all but his hard core base.

After last nights results…..it could not be any clearer .

Mothra
whiterock said:

Mothra said:

whiterock said:

Mothra said:

Booray said:

Booray is correct.

Trump's myriad of mistakes began long before the last few months. His candidates performed terribly last night, and this is an indictment against him. Even Lake, who some were saying just yesterday was going to replace DeSantis as the golden boy candidate and be a potential presidential contender, is likely going to lose the governorship of AZ. Pretty much all of the major candidates that Trump enthusiastically endorsed performed poorly. And his failure to go balls to the wall is just a further indictment of his character, proving he only cares about himself, and not the good of the country or party.

It seems independent and blue collar workers who supported him in 2016 are done with him as a candidate. So, while he maintains a large following among the base (albeit, eroding support), he's toxic outside of his base, as I have been saying for months now.

If I recall, you've been saying for months that it would be a Trump-DeSantis ticket. Still think that? Still think Trump can win a general election, with or without DeSantis?

Mothra
Canada2017 said:

whiterock said:

Mothra said:

whiterock said:

Mothra said:

Booray said:

Booray is correct.

Bingo.
Jack Bauer
J.R. said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

J.R. said:

Cobretti said:

Were you taken aback at all by your President's shut down the coal industry and no more drilling comments this past week? I would think most oil and gas people would not be happy with them. But not you.
I am very conservative on fiscal issues. However, this crazy women is part of the "lunatic fringe" via Trump. How'd that all work out last night? Trumpians and Trump got their ass kicked.
Kari Lake is now 11k votes behind Katie Hobbs with 68% of the vote in. There is a still a good chance she wins.
Married A Horn
Using Fox's Map:

The 4 races still not called are:

Wisconsin - Johnson (R) ahead by 27,000, 98.91% reported

Nevada - Laxalt (R) ahead by almost 3 points with 72% reported

Arizona - why is this not called? Masters (R) seems to have made up a lot of ground overnight, but still a long way to go. Down 5 points but only 64% reporting.

Georgia - runoff?

50 (R) vs 49 (D)? with GA runoff to come. Or is there hope for Masters to get to 51?
Harrison Bergeron
Canada2017 said:

whiterock said:

Mothra said:

whiterock said:

Mothra said:

Booray said:

Booray is correct.

100%. In addition to his personality, Trump's inability to learn and adapt with new information is his downfall. His inability to move on from the 2020 election steal story should be his ultimately downfall.

I think there will be enough Republicans that will see that and move on from him, especially with DeSantis in the wings.

He cost the Republicans the Senate in 2020.
He cost the Republicans the Senate in 2022.

The clear results from last night:
Republicans did well with good candidates in strong Biden districts.
Republicans did poorly with bad candidates in slight Biden or Trump districts.

Unlike Democrats, Republicans will vote the candidate. Remember that.

whiterock
JXL said:

whiterock said:

EX: Exit polling is clear that Threat To Democracy and Abortion were huge issues with thoe who voted.

Are those key issues with voters at large? Was all the polling about inflation and economy wrong?

no.

Remember what I said many times: a pollster has to poll the people who actually vote.

A smaller number of voters think abortion and threats to democracy are the big issues.

If you do not turn out your own base, the independents don't matter a damned bit.

You can't win elections with just your base. Nominating Trump might fire up his base of support, but he would be unlikely to pull enough support from outside of his base to win.
The results from last night directly refute that conclusion.

SOME elections are choice elections, where wooing independents is the key.
SOME elections are base elections, where there isn't much middle ground and victory lies in turning out your base.

As long as we remain an evenly divided electorate, building a strategy of chasing 3% of the voting public least likely to vote is the road to oblivion. If you cannot fire up your own base to come boiling out to vote, you are not going to inspire independents to come boiling out to vote either.

Democrats campaigned solely within their base. They spoke primarily to the J6 faithful and the abortion on demand faithful....and they got a bigger turnout of their base than Republicans did.

whiterock
The exception is.....FL.

DeSantis did not moderate his position to appeal to moderates. He pounded his opponent into a greasy spot on the ground. "....where woke comes to die....." And who was his opponent? Exactly the type of shape-shifting moderate that the GOP base is told we must have.

You build a coalition by defeating your opponent.
Mothra
JXL said:

whiterock said:

no.

Exactly. That's what the Trumpists completely miss. One would have thought the last election would have clued them in that Trump is toxic outside his base. But for some reason, they view his rabid following among a large segment of Republicans as proof that he can win a general election. It makes absolutely no sense, and has no logic to it.
Jack Bauer
Looks like Senate is now 48-48 with 4 to go

NV: R with 2 pt lead with 80% in
WI: R with a slight edge
AZ: D up by 5 but still a lot left to count
GA: Looking like a runoff
cowboycwr
What I don't get and never had about elections is how we can spend millions or billions of dollars for bridges to nowhere, to send to other countries, etc. but we can't spend money to solve long election lines.

I never made it to vote early and went yesterday. The place had 6 machines. 6. In a polling location intended to serve several thousand voters. And I know the last place I lived it was always similar. Maybe 10 machines max at that location. It seems there should be a lot more machines at every location.

And better ones than the stupid dial to highlight what you want.
whiterock
Mothra said:

JXL said:

whiterock said:

no.

Exactly. That's what the Trumpists completely miss. One would have thought the last election would have clued them in that Trump is toxic outside his base. But for some reason, they view his rabid following among a large segment of Republicans as proof that he can win a general election. It makes absolutely no sense, and has no logic to it.
It has to it exactly the logic DeSantis used to win his race 60-40. He did not meet anyone in the middle. His acceptance speech was defiant, combative, in-your-face "we fought for our ideas, destroyed yours, and will carry on that good work...." And I loved it.

DeSantis does not prove Trumpism wrong.
DeSantis proves Trumpism is right.

It's just that he might be a more effective spokesman for Trumpism than Trump himself.
Mothra
whiterock said:

JXL said:

whiterock said:

no.

The results from last night directly refute that conclusion.

SOME elections are choice elections, where wooing independents is the key.
SOME elections are base elections, where there isn't much middle ground and victory lies in turning out your base.

As long as we remain an evenly divided electorate, building a strategy of chasing 3% of the voting public least likely to vote is the road to oblivion. If you cannot fire up your own base to come boiling out to vote, you are not going to inspire independents to come boiling out to vote either.

Democrats campaigned solely within their base. They spoke primarily to the J6 faithful and the abortion on demand faithful....and they got a bigger turnout of their base than Republicans did.

That's not entirely accurate either. A number of Dems that won last night ran from the woke policies their party embraced. In other words, they moderated their positions in order to woo independents who didn't subscribe to the wokeism that has infected their side.

I generally agree with you that you have to fire up the base to turn out. The problem is, Trump is so toxic outside of his base, he inspires people to vote against him.
Mothra
whiterock said:

Mothra said:

JXL said:

whiterock said:

no.

It has to it exactly the logic DeSantis used to win his race 60-40. He did not meet anyone in the middle. His acceptance speech was defiant, combative, in-your-face "we fought for our ideas, destroyed yours, and will carry on that good work...." And I loved it.

DeSantis does not prove Trumpism wrong.
DeSantis proves Trumpism is right.

It's just that he might be a more effective spokesman for Trumpism than Trump himself.
All of the polls suggest that DeSantis had a large segment of independents who voted for him, and not just his base. The question is why? I believe it's because DeSantis was a very effective communicator who was able to effectively point out the dangers of wokeism run amok. DeSantis was able to characterize his election as a fight against wokeism, not Crist, who is a moderate Dem. And that resonated not just with his base, but independents and moderate Dems who have seen their party go way too far to the left. DeSantis greatly benefited from the Dems turn to wokeism.

I agree with you he was combative, which I loved as well, and wished I would see more from Republican candidates. But I wouldn't call that Trumpism. DeSantis wasn't petty in his political battles. They had a purpose. That's because DeSantis is much smarter than the doofus, Trump, and lacks the toxicity that Trump possesses. Trump lacks the ability to control his worst impulses, and was needlessly combative with anyone who he deemed to have crossed him. And that has turned off Americans in large numbers.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
J.R. said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

J.R. said:

Cobretti said:

I did not ask you about Trump. I asked you your opinion on Biden's war on oil & gas and the coal industry. You need to let Trump go.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
LateSteak69
Associating with Trump is a horrible idea, and never ends well. This goes back years, but people tend to just ignore it for some reason. Hopefully this weeds out the MTGs of the party that have made it a joke, and it can get back to what i know it can be.
whiterock
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

J.R. said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

J.R. said:

Cobretti said:

I did not ask you about Trump. I asked you your opinion on Biden's war on oil & gas and the coal industry. You need to let Trump go.

It's almost like JR thinks the Dems have no lunatic fringe of their own.
J.R.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

J.R. said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

J.R. said:

Cobretti said:

No you said "I didn't have a conservative bone in my body", which. is very inaccurate . As, I have said repeatedly up in here that I am an Independent and am very conservative on fiscal issue, but progressive on social issues. Actually, the war on the Oil and Gas Industry from the dems is real. However, as I have always said, we make a whole lot more $ under dems as their agenda without a plan drives up oil and gas prices that translated to inflation on most everything we use! How did Trump work out for you last night? Would you vote for him? As far as I can tell, Trump has single handedly lost the Senate, Congress, Presidency and topped it off with backing absolutely horrible candidates. He needs to disappear. I have been telling you Trumpians that he is a cancer and is toxic. I believe that has been borne out! Drop mic.
LIB,MR BEARS
TenBears said:

The answer is staring the Republicans in the face with Desantis. I hope they are smart enough to ditch the orange blimp and go with him. He would get my vote.

Trump has provided enough Look At Me sound bites that a ballsy republican organization could blast the airwaves with it allowing others to fill his shoes. They would find plenty of willing participants in MSM. Each potential candidate if asked about it could simply say, " I'll let my words speak for me and his words speak for him."
Jack Bauer
It's Wed morning and AZ has only counted 70% of the votes. Are they using a nursing home review board?

I believe that Florida counted 70% of the vote in the first hour. Amazing that sometimes government can do things right.
Brazos Place
Doc Holliday said:

PA just elected an incompetent vegetable.

They'll get what they voted for.

When you have two awful choices, you end up with a bad decision. This is unfortunately becoming a pattern throughout much of the country.
Jack Bauer
And honestly, only in government can the Secretary of State oversee her own election results for Governor.

You can't even have your brother work with you at Walmart for worries of corruption/nepotism in the private sector.
muddybrazos
Mothra said:

In other nuttiness, California, a state that legalized recreational marijuana use, has banned the sale of flavored tobacco products. So California voters and politicians are cool with a recreational drug that lowers the IQ, increases the risk of depression, psychosis and suicide, and generally has an ill effect on mental health, but a product that causes lip cancer is beyond the pale. SMH.
I think this is a big corporate money thing. I know a guy in my state that owns 20 vape shops and the dems have thrown all kinds of red tape at this industry to weed out these mom and pop places in favor of big tobacco controlling the vape game.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.