Legalized Drugs

881 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Redbrickbear
OsoCoreyell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In the past, I've been pretty libertarian about certain drugs - e.g. weed. My default position is that we should err on the side of freedom in this country. I certainly saw folks using weed in high school - I never did, but it didn't seem that much more dangerous than alcohol.

But I've been doing a good bit of pro bono legal work for high school kids and young adults charged with minor drug crimes like possession of small amounts of weed, etc. The stories from some of these kids is really making me reassess. The weed sold today is VERY potent, and I've seen some young adults who I've watched go from engaged, pretty normal people to something very different in a short amount of time - like 3 months. Its been eye opening and scary. That stuff is not like what I remember.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Fentanyl is a game changer. It is combined with a wide variety of illicit drugs. One bad pill, and you're dead.

Anyone wanting to legally use dangerous drugs should move to Pennsylvania.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Redbrickbear
OsoCoreyell said:

In the past, I've been pretty libertarian about certain drugs - e.g. weed. My default position is that we should err on the side of freedom in this country. I certainly saw folks using weed in high school - I never did, but it didn't seem that much more dangerous than alcohol.

But I've been doing a good bit of pro bono legal work for high school kids and young adults charged with minor drug crimes like possession of small amounts of weed, etc. The stories from some of these kids is really making me reassess. The weed sold today is VERY potent, and I've seen some young adults who I've watched go from engaged, pretty normal people to something very different in a short amount of time - like 3 months. Its been eye opening and scary. That stuff is not like what I remember.

Yep,

1985 level weed should probably be legalized.

The stuff they are growing and making today is literally causing mental breakdowns it's so strong.

[Is Marijuana Really Stronger Than Ever? The answer is yes. The potency of marijuana, indeed, has increased over time. A study that analyzed over 38,000 illicit marijuana samples provided by the DEA from 1995 to 2014 determined that its potency had approximately tripled in that period.]

https://www.livescience.com/53644-marijuana-is-stronger-now-than-20-years-ago.html

Doc Holliday
Redbrickbear said:

OsoCoreyell said:

Yep,

1985 level weed should probably be legalized.

The stuff they are growing and making today is literally causing mental breakdowns it's so strong.

[Is Marijuana Really Stronger Than Ever? The answer is yes. The potency of marijuana, indeed, has increased over time. A study that analyzed over 38,000 illicit marijuana samples provided by the DEA from 1995 to 2014 determined that its potency had approximately tripled in that period.]

https://www.livescience.com/53644-marijuana-is-stronger-now-than-20-years-ago.html

Cannabis is no joke.

People get hooked on it now because the potency is ridiculous. It causes all sorts of digestive issues and anxiety problems. Prevents you from getting to REM sleep as well. One the biggest issues is people chasing highs they're never going to have again because tolerance to THC is extremely fast.

Cannabis hyperemsis syndrome is dangerous too.

I know a few people who rip the bong 10+ times a day and they're just not the same people they used to be.

I've used it before and it can make you feel euphoric, but it can also make you feel complete dread and terror like you're about to die.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
I have never used it beyond half a brownie 2 years ago. I felt fine and friends said i was friendier than usual. I have chosen not to smoke it and will probably never use it again. I make that choice for me. I would never make a choice for you. Doesnt the government have better ways to spend our money than protectingyou from you?

Btw alcohol is much stronger and addictive. I choose to frink a few beers once or twice a month. I guess i should thank you for letting me.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
Harrison Bergeron
Very good point. I think there is a holdover mentality of 70s pot smoking that a little weed is fun from time to time, but like you have shared, I too know young people that went from motivated leaders to effectively drop outs driven only by chronic marijuana use. The idea that "weed is harmless" is dangerous and incorrect.

Not to mention the dangers of fentanyl. We buried two family members recently whose "innocent" night of recreational drug use led to tragic death because of fentanyl-laced drugs. With gummies and other ways to take marijuana, it is too easy to lace it with killer drugs.

I am not optimistic there is an easy solution because like everything else there quickly will emerge two camps neither wanting a solution but just attacking the other.
OsoCoreyell
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

I have never used it beyond half a brownie 2 years ago. I felt fine and friends said i was friendier than usual. I have chosen not to smoke it and will probably never use it again. I make that choice for me. I would never make a choice for you. Doesnt the government have better ways to spend our money than protectingyou from you?

Btw alcohol is much stronger and addictive. I choose to frink a few beers once or twice a month. I guess i should thank you for letting me.
No. Thank the strawman you made. He's the one that believes your right to drink is dependent upon his approval. Its such an obviously bad position for him to hold its a wonder he ever thought of it.
ron.reagan
If you think weed is addictive you should try Oreos
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
I was talking to the man that thinks it ok for the gov. to condone some drugs but condemn others. He wants to dictate my drug of choice. It was dos ex's for a while.

Was that the man you were referring to?
OsoCoreyell

I was talking to the man that thinks it ok for the gov. to condone some drugs but condemn others. He wants to dictate my drug of choice. It was dos ex's for a while.

Was that the man you were referring to?
I wouldn't know. He's your strawman. He tends to say whatever you make him say. But I agree it is confusing when you keep making him say different stuff.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
So i thought you wanted pot to remain ilegal. I assume you are ok with alcohol. Sorry if i misunderstood your post.

I believe you should have the right to enjoy either or both.
boognish_bear
OsoCoreyell said:

I've never smoked and still would not if it were legalized. But, I've never had a big issue with it potentially being legalized.

Would legalizing it potentially mean it would be better regulated and safer and possibly not as dangerous as some of the variants out there now? Like states that have ABV laws for alcohol content for beer being sold.

Osodecentx
Should be illegal
muddybrazos
I used to smoke all the time but these days I dont smoke near as much. I do like the gummies and eat them regularly. I actually prefer todays super dank buds compared to the crap from the the olden days. Nobody wants to pick out seeds and stems then get a headache.
J.R.
muddybrazos said:

I used to smoke all the time but these days I dont smoke near as much. I do like the gummies and eat them regularly. I actually prefer todays super dank buds compared to the crap from the the olden days. Nobody wants to pick out seeds and stems then get a headache.
ha! As a part time Colorado resident....I feel ya!
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Osodecentx said:

Should be illegal

What about alcocol?
TechDawgMc
I'm inclined to believe we should treat alcohol, tobacco and weed all the same -- basically the way we treat tobacco. Legal, restricted to adults, taxed, but with the stigma that it's not a good idea so no advertising and generally negative societal response to all of them.

The caveat to that is that the comments about weed becoming more dangerous are disconcerting. Could it be regulated in a way to keep the potency relatively low? If the plants themselves are more potent, I'm not sure how that would work.

Of course, that idea would never get by the rather powerful alcohol lobby.
D. C. Bear
There are two active ingredients in marijuana, THC and CBD. From what I have read, and newer variants of the drug have much higher levels of THC relative to CBD than those in years past. Instead of the anti nausea effect that was commonly seen before, you can get "scromitting." Just search "scromiting" for the rather unpleasant description. I am not sure if the changes in the drug was a known cause was known or speculative since it has been a long time since I read it. In any event, the potency of newer variants is much higher and the ratio of active ingredients in the drug has changed.
D. C. Bear

Osodecentx said:

Should be illegal

What about alcocol?

If alcohol or MJ or tobacco was invented today it would probably not be legalized.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
America did ban alcohol once. It didnt go well. The war on pot hasnt gone well either.many lives have been ruined not because thedrug was too string but because of the legal ramifications.

Everyone here should be free to make their own decisions. I dont like pot. Luckily thats my choice toake. I should try to make uour choice.
Redbrickbear
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.