"One thought Scares Me"

820 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Titus and Titus
FLBear5630
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Richard Dreyfus gave up acting, went to Oxford for four years to study civility & civics to teach kids about Civics.

Have not read it all the way through yet, but so far I agree. We need to teach civics to the youth of America or we will lose.

"Teach our kids how to run our country, before they are called upon to run our country…if we don't, someone else will run our country." ~ Richard Dreyfuss

The Dreyfuss Civics Initiative Prioritizing Civics Education (thedreyfussinitiative.org)

Don't know if he is liberal or conservative, but I agree with this movement. Much more respect for Dreyfus.

STxBear81
I'd say he is conservative if he wants to bring our culture back and get rid of chaos
FLBear5630
BornAgain said:

I'd say he is conservative if he wants to bring our culture back and get rid of chaos
Me too. But, his site says it is non-partisan. I respect the knowledge that if it is going to work, you got to teach both sides.
EatMoreSalmon
Thanks, RMF.

Sounds like a good thing to look into.
cowboycwr
So many people have no clue how government or taxes work. Especially the younger generations. But even a lot of older people don't. They get confused when you start talking about powers of the government, branches, or talking in large numbers when discussing budgets/taxes. They don't know how to budget their income so trying to explain it in amounts using millions or billions is beyond their comprehension or understanding. They don't understand where money comes from, why it has value or why just printing more is bad. Too many have gotten so used to "free" handouts from the government without understanding where the money comes from for those programs.

A good example of the misunderstanding of math/money is a tweet that was incorrect but was flying around once about how Bezos could give every American $10MIL (I think that was the value) and still have money left but it was more like $10 for each American.
Canada2017
Founding Fathers possessed a fear and loathing of the 'mob'.

Which is why they reserved the right to vote ( in most states ) to men who owned real estate within their communities.

The thought was if the individual didn't have the intelligence, discipline and work ethnic to acquire property ….they didn't have the abilities required to select our nation's leadership .

Events have certainly proven the Founding Fathers to be correct .
Porteroso
It is ultimately up to us to make sure we have an informed and educated electorate. Lots of respect to anyone putting effort into this type,or any type of education. Politicians sure won't make sure voters are informed and educated.
Oldbear83
Porteroso: "Politicians sure won't make sure voters are informed and educated."

Agreed. I think keeping the masses dumb was a thing even back when Machiavelli was writing the Primer on Politics for the future Clintons.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Titus and Titus
We need to teach our children about Christ and those whom hate Christ.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.