Should a law be passed banning the N word from music etc?

1,095 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Proud 1992 Alum
Fre3dombear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Movies, etc
Proud 1992 Alum
No. The government should do nothing. Freedom of speech and the bill of rights generally is an essential part of what makes America exceptional.
BusyTarpDuster2017
Ironically, it would be viewed as an act of white supremacy since it would suppress black rapper expression.
Coke Bear
Username doesn't check out.

In all seriousness, no. This is not the same as yelling "fire" in a theater. I'm 53, but I'd still fight for the rights of someone even if I didn't agree with them.
Fre3dombear
Isn't it time to let that reference to prior oppression die off with the olds? Move on to a more advanced, evolved culture?

I don't see anyone fighting for people to
Be able to say ruhtard or f** or pick any of countless other examples.

Isn't it time? We've come too far.

Interesting
OsoCoreyell
Fre3dombear said:

Isn't it time to let that reference to prior oppression die off with the olds? Move on to a more advanced, evolved culture?

Interesting
Good gracious, what a horrible take. NO, we don't need the government telling anyone what they can and can't say. The law you ask for would be patently unconstitutional, AND IT SHOULD BE!

It's like people don't want to be free or something.

Limited IQ Redneck in PU
No. What Coke Bear said.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
Oldbear83
OK, i will take a crack at this:

What makes our nation different, these United States of America, is ideas.

And we believe that ideas should stand or fall on their merit. If an idea is worthless, we prove that through debate, just as if an idea has worth, that also is proven through inspection and testing.

Words are tools used in that testing of ideas, and words establish the character of those ideas. While the language can be offensive at times, the words chosen to express ideas are part of the argument, and in the end a word is no longer used because it proves worthless in advancing the idea. Censoring a word may salve the emotions of some, but at the cost of appearing to concede we cannot defeat the idea any other way.

Let those who use vulgar epithets bear the cost of those words through their failure. Let's defeat the idea of Racism - however expressed - so soundly that such words are abandoned not by the proscription of some government, but by the clear futility of embracing the failure of their concept.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
LIB,MR BEARS
Fre3dombear said:

Interesting
I think the point your trying to make has everything to do with making blacks look like hypocrites, less to do with "we've come to far" and, nothing to do with freedom.

But go ahead and keep trying.
LIB,MR BEARS
Oldbear83 said:

And we believe that ideas should stand or fall on their merit. If an idea is worthless, we prove that through debate, just as if an idea has worth, that also is proven through inspection and testing.

Words are tools used in that testing of ideas, and words establish the character of those ideas. While the language can be offensive at times, the words chosen to express ideas are part of the argument, and in the end a word is no longer used because it proves worthless in advancing the idea. Censoring a word may salve the emotions of some, but at the cost of appearing to concede we cannot defeat the idea any other way.

Let those who use vulgar epithets bear the cost of those words through their failure. Let's defeat the idea of Racism - however expressed - so soundly that such words are abandoned not by the proscription of some government, but by the clear futility of embracing the failure of their concept.

Dang! Very well said.
Canada2017
Coke Bear said:

Username doesn't check out.

In all seriousness, no. This is not the same as yelling "fire" in a theater. I'm 53, but I'd still fight for the rights of someone even if I didn't agree with them.

You are a good man .

Respect
Oldbear83
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Oldbear83 said:

Dang! Very well said.
Thank you sir. Hope this topic gets some discussion, there is ground for some good thought here.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Porteroso
It is a way for blacks to take back control of a word used to demean them for centuries. I don't think anyone should use the word, but some do use it in a friendly way rather than a pure hatred way. There is some redeemimg value in that.

Talking about regulating words at the federal level is beyond the pale.
Fre3dombear
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Fre3dombear said:

Interesting
I think the point your trying to make has everything to do with making blacks look like hypocrites, less to do with "we've come to far" and, nothing to do with freedom.

Well that's a perspective I guess.

In a day and age where pronouns are more important than ever before, and a single word can destroy careers and lives, this should be a legitimate discussion.

What value or positive is this allowing for people to profit off this? Compared with the negative costs?

An advanced, evolved, highly educated society would consider such things. Did 2020 and that carnage teach us nothing?
LIB,MR BEARS
Fre3dombear said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Fre3dombear said:

Interesting

Well that's a perspective I guess.

In a day and age where pronouns are more important than ever before, and a single word can destroy careers and lives, this should be a legitimate discussion.

What value or positive is this allowing for people to profit off this? Compared with the negative costs?

An advanced, evolved, highly educated society would consider such things. Did 2020 and that carnage teach us nothing?
I was against the thought police before the election and I'm still against it. Thoughts are best expressed with words so I don't want words policed either.
J.R.
NO! If you don't want to hear it don't listen to it. Kinda like Yacht Rock!
4th and Inches
Just remember we enjoy freedom of, not freedom from..
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
LIB,MR BEARS
If the N-word can be outlawed, so can the word Jesus. Coincidentally, it would be for the same reason, offensiveness.
Fre3dombear
LIB,MR BEARS said:

If the N-word can be outlawed, so can the word Jesus. Coincidentally, it would be for the same reason, offensiveness.

That's a non sequitur.
LIB,MR BEARS
Fre3dombear said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

That's a non sequitur.
No. No, I don't think it is. I'm following the logic that "etc" allows.
Proud 1992 Alum
Banning the n word is a terrible idea. First, it is almost certainly unconstitutional. Second, once a word is banned, there will be groups who want additional words banned. Finally, the government needs to do a better job protecting its citizens from violent crime. Let's not add policing speech to the list of offenses that the police and courts have to deal with.
Fre3dombear
Proud 1992 Alum said:

Banning the n word is a terrible idea. First, it is almost certainly unconstitutional. Second, once a word is banned, there will be groups who want additional words banned. Finally, the government needs to do a better job protecting its citizens from violent crime. Let's not add policing speech to the list of offenses that the police and courts have to deal with.

We already have that. So why is this word so protected? Most common sensical people are for free speech but some people aren't really for free speech. They want speech that is free but only punishes some and not others and then hid behind a veneer of being for "free speech"

It is quite an interesting thought exercise though as to why some will defend this or that or not defend other speech

Eventually they'll even slip in the words "free market"
Proud 1992 Alum
Fre3dombear said:

Proud 1992 Alum said:

We already have that. So why is this word so protected? Most common sensical people are for free speech but some people aren't really for free speech. They want speech that is free but only punishes some and not others and then hid behind a veneer of being for "free speech"

It is quite an interesting thought exercise though as to why some will defend this or that or not defend other speech

Eventually they'll even slip in the words "free market"

Obviously, you can make a great argument that no one should use the n word, as well as other words. I certainly have no desire to use the n word. But I don't see a good argument for a government ban on any words, including the n word. What is your reasoning for doing so?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.