Trump Sings a Song of Sedition

4,735 Views | 123 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by fubar
Sam Lowry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Trump Sings a Song of Sedition
Tom Nichols
The Atlantic Daily

Almost 30 years after a cult leader caused a disaster in Waco, Trump rallied his own political cult--and the location cannot be a coincidence--in that same Texas city. The Waco tent revival featured the usual Trumpian cast of grifters, carnies, and misfits, including the fan favorites Mike Lindell and Ted Nugent. Most of the former president's speech was, of course, about himself and his many grievances, and the crowd reportedly began to thin out somewhat early.

And yet, in Waco--the first rally of Trump's 2024 campaign--Trump proved he is still capable of doing shocking things that once would have been unthinkable. As the Associated Press reported:

"With a hand over his heart, Trump stood at attention when his rally opened with a song called "Justice for All" performed by a choir of people imprisoned for their roles in the Jan. 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol. Some footage from the insurrection was shown on big screens displayed at the rally site as the choir sang the national anthem and a recording played of Trump reciting the Pledge of Allegiance."

In other words: A former president, a man once entrusted with the Constitution's Article II powers as our chief magistrate and the commander in chief of the most powerful military in the world, an elected official who held our survival in his hands with the codes to our nuclear arsenal, considered it an honor to be serenaded by a group of violent insurrectionists who are sitting in jail for offenses against the government and people of the United States.

Trump's voice was not only featured on this song; he actually volunteered to provide a recording for it. I know that many people, after years of this mad-king routine, simply do not want to process anything with the words Donald Trump in it. I don't blame you. But let's not look away: In Waco, Trump embraced a creepy mash-up of the national anthem, "USA" chants, and his own voice, and then proceeded for some 90 minutes to make clear that he is now irrevocably all in with the seditionists, the conspiracy theorists, the "Trump or death" fanatics, the Vladimir Putin fanboys--the whole appalling lot of them.

And yet, a day later, the story of Trump standing at attention for the January 6 choir has begun to fade from coverage. How, you might wonder, is this not still on every news site, every broadcast? To be fair, the AP called it "an extraordinary display." The New York Times called the playing of the song "a new twist." Perhaps ironically, one of the most candid reactions came from Fox's Brian Kilmeade, who called Trump's use of January 6 footage at the rally "insane." Many media outlets used a picture of Trump with his hand over his heart, as I have done here. None of that is enough.

A thought experiment might help. Imagine if, say, Barack Obama held a rally and stood at attention as a group of anti-constitutional rioters--perhaps people who had called for attacking police officers and lynching top officials of the United States--used his voice as a motif while singing from prison to honor him. You know exactly what would happen: That one moment would dominate the news cycle until the last star in the galaxy burned out. It would define Obama for the rest of his life. (If you doubt this, remember that Obama was caught on a hot mic telling then-Russian President Dmitry Medvedev that he'd have more flexibility to negotiate after the 2012 electiona completely ordinary if somewhat unwise thing to say--and we had to hear about it for years.)

In 2023...Trump is no longer a novelty. The man is a former president and a top candidate for his old job. Merely fact-checking him or tut-tutting about his "extraordinary" behavior would, I agree, "normalize" him, so let's not do that. Instead, both journalists and ordinary citizens should ensure that everyone knows exactly what Trump is doing and saying, in all of its fetid and vile detail.
fubar
Won't bother the usual suspects here at all.

Not. Even. A. Little. Bit.
Sam Lowry
fubar said:

Top 5 Responses:

5. The Atlantic, LOL!
4. Liberal spin, none of that is in the video.
3. So you prefer Biden?
2. Ray Epps.
1. But whatabout the Dems?
Mothra
He is such an embarrassing buffoon.
fubar
Sam Lowry said:

fubar said:

Top 5 Responses:

5. The Atlantic, LOL!
3. So you prefer Biden?
2. Ray Epps.
6. Hillary.
7. Deep State.
8. BLM Riots, financed by Harris, were worse.
9. Obama judges.
10. Dead by Tuesday*.

* This one is admittedly a stretch. It still makes me laugh though.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Joe Biden. The bestest President ever. I just hope we can change the Constitution so Joe can run again in 2028.

The house is burning down around us but ole Joe just says we are having a friendly barbecue. LOL!!! People get the government they deserve. Obviously we don't deserve much.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Mitch Blood Green
Mothra said:

Enough for you not to vote for him if he's the nominee?
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Mitch Blood Green said:

Mothra said:

You are kidding aren't you? The calling of the party bells call the faithful to their knees.
FLBear5630
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Joe Biden. The bestest President ever. I just hope we can change the Constitution so Joe can run again in 2028.

The house is burning down around us but ole Joe just says we are having a friendly barbecue. LOL!!! People get the government they deserve. Obviously we don't deserve much.

What does this have to do with nutcase Trump celebrating Jan 6th and doing his David Koresh routine?
Mothra
Mitch Blood Green said:

Mothra said:

If it's between him and someone like Biden, nope. I am not a fan of either party's candidates, but as an actual conservative (and not a pretend one like LIQR), I understand that Biden's policies are far worse for the country than Trump's. So while I will vote for anyone but Trump in the primaries, when it comes down to a binary choice, I will go with the lesser of the evils.

Of course, numnuts like LIQR will decry my lack of a "principled" stand, but anyone who's paid any attention to the country the last 2 years of the Biden admin realizes he has done far more damage to our country from a policy standpoint than anything Trump has done. So, if Biden doesn't get us into a nuclear war between now and 2024, right now I will still pull the lever for the Republican nominee. If Biden hadn't totally ****ed things up, that might not be the case, but here were are...
fubar
RMF5630 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

What does this have to do with nutcase Trump celebrating Jan 6th and doing his David Koresh routine?
I thought he was just trying to fill in all the boxes by responding with Sam's #3.
Mothra
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Given the complete lack of competence of the Biden admin at every single level, it's incredible to me that we have purported conservatives on this thread who continue to vote in a way that propagates such incompetence.

Let's hope that changes in 2024, if we aren't in a world war by then.
Mitch Blood Green
Mothra said:

Mitch Blood Green said:

Mothra said:

If it's between him and someone like Biden, nope. I am not a fan of either party's candidates, but as an actual conservative (and not a pretend one like LIQR), I understand that Biden's policies are far worse for the country than Trump's. So while I will vote for anyone but Trump in the primaries, when it comes down to a binary choice, I will go with the lesser of the evils.

Of course, numnuts like LIQR will decry my lack of a "principled" stand, but anyone who's paid any attention to the country the last 2 years of the Biden admin realizes he has done far more damage to our country from a policy standpoint than anything Trump has done. So, if Biden doesn't get us into a nuclear war between now and 2024, right now I will still pull the lever for the Republican nominee. If Biden hadn't totally ****ed things up, that might not be the case, but here were are...

Thank you for your answer.
FLBear5630
fubar said:

RMF5630 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

I thought he was just trying to fill in all the boxes by responding with Sam's #3.
Guess I misunderstood, thought it was a deflection from Trump. If I did, I stand corrected...

Just because Biden is a train wreck doesn't excuse Trump's Oswald Mosley from "Peaky Blinders" imitation...

RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Mothra said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Given the complete lack of competence of the Biden admin at every single level, it's incredible to me that we have purported conservatives on this thread who continue to vote in a way that propagates such incompetence.

Let's hope that changes in 2024, if we aren't in a world war by then.
The Bozos here that voted for Biden are nothing close to conservative, although many claim to be.

-- Barack Obama
Sam Lowry
fubar said:

RMF5630 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Looks like #3 is in the lead. I was counting on 4th and Inches for #5, but so far he's a no-show.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
RMF5630 said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

The point is that, yes, Trump hurts many people's feelings but he still has a functioning brain. Whenever Joe Biden steps up to the microphone, I am embarrassed for our country. Every single thing the man touches turns to s h I t!

-- Barack Obama
Mothra
It's always amusing when the Never Trumpers try to pretend like their protest vote indicates anything other than a preference for Biden over Trump. NT's are a hoot.
Osodecentx
Sam Lowry said:

fubar said:

Top 5 Responses:

5. The Atlantic, LOL!
3. So you prefer Biden?
2. Ray Epps.
6. Rowdy tourists
7. Capitol police
8. They weren't armed
9. Peaceful protest (if it wasn't peaceful, then Portland)
10. Harris bail bond effort made them do it
Osodecentx
Mothra said:

It's always amusing when the Never Trumpers try to pretend like their protest vote indicates anything other than a preference for Biden over Trump. NT's are a hoot.
Trump has a big bowl of stew for you, Esau ...
D. C. Bear
Mothra said:

Candidates have to earn my vote.
Trump and Biden haven't.
Mothra
D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

Trump and Biden haven't.

Not sure of the relevance of that statement to my comments, but thanks for letting me know!
Mothra
Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Trump has a big bowl of stew for you, Esau ...

I prefer a bowl of bad stew to a bowl of piss.
Wangchung
Osodecentx said:

Sam Lowry said:

fubar said:

Top 5 Responses:

5. The Atlantic, LOL!
3. So you prefer Biden?
2. Ray Epps.
1. But whatabout the far more violent Dems?
6. Rowdy tourists
7. Capitol police
8. They weren't armed
9. Peaceful protest (if it wasn't peaceful, the 568 BLM riots that spanned 7 months)
10. Harris bailing out rioters enabled them to do it
FIFY
Our vibrations were getting nasty. But why? I was puzzled, frustrated... Had we deteriorated to the level of dumb beasts?
contrario
I can sympathize with republicans that are forced to hold their noses to vote for Trump because he is the lesser of two evils in their eyes, but I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would fully support this buffoon. The thought experiment is spot on - if Obama did anything like this, the republican voters would be starting a civil war.
Mothra
contrario said:

I can sympathize with republicans that are forced to hold their noses to vote for Trump because he is the lesser of two evils in their eyes, but I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would fully support this buffoon. The thought experiment is spot on - if Obama did anything like this, the republican voters would be starting a civil war.
Yup. Never understood full-on MAGA. He has a cult of personality with some people.
D. C. Bear
Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

Trump and Biden haven't.

Not sure of the relevance of that statement to my comments, but thanks for letting me know!
My refusal to vote for Trump is not a preference for Biden any more than my refusal to vote for Biden is a preference for Trump.
Mothra
D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

Trump and Biden haven't.

My refusal to vote for Trump is not a preference for Biden any more than my refusal to vote for Biden is a preference for Trump.
Couldn't disagree more.
D. C. Bear
Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

Trump and Biden haven't.

Couldn't disagree more.
I refused to vote for Biden long before I refused to vote for Trump. Doesn't mean I have a preference for Trump.
Osodecentx
D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

Trump and Biden haven't.

You're exactly right.

Good luck explaining that nuance.
Mothra
D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

Trump and Biden haven't.

Couldn't disagree more.
I refused to vote for Biden long before I refused to vote for Trump. Doesn't mean I have a preference for Trump.
So your position is that as a "conservative," it doesn't matter who is president as between the two of them?
Mothra
Osodecentx said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

Trump and Biden haven't.

You're exactly right.

Good luck explaining that nuance.
LOL. "Nuanced."

Tell us, was your voting for woke Democrats the last election more of that "nuance"?

You guys are a hoot.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
contrario said:

Biden has made me utter the five words I thought I would never, ever say, - "I sure miss Barack Obama!"

-- Barack Obama
D. C. Bear
Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

Trump and Biden haven't.

Couldn't disagree more.
So your position is that as a "conservative," it doesn't matter who is president as between the two of them?
It is my position as an American that a candidate who wants my vote for president has to earn my vote for president.
sombear
Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

Trump and Biden haven't.

Couldn't disagree more.
I'm reluctant to jump into this debate b/c we'll never change others' minds. Views on Trump are too entrenched.

But . . . Mothra, I don't think it is as simple as binary choice and no-vote-helps Dems-so-have-to-vote Trump. My position has evolved. I despised Trump from the beginning. After the MSNBC tapes, I said I'd never vote for him. But I did . . . twice. It came down to what you now argue: If I didn't vote for Trump, I was giving up on issues I cared about for at least 4 years.

Now I can honestly say I will not vote for Trump under any circumstance. My view now is that there has to be a minimum threshold for candidate character. It's an exceedingly low threshold, but there is one. To me, Trump fails to meet it. Jan 6, the "rigged election" BS, and his bizarre attacks on longtime conservatives put me over the top.

As for the issues I care about, I think Trump will do more damage on those issues long term. He has tainted the GOP for the foreseeable future. If he's elected again, it might be irreversible. I am willing to take some near-term pain to avoid a long-term illness. Much of it has been unfair, much of it not, but Trump has damaged our Country and the conservative movement.

It pains me to say it, it really does, but the Never Trumpers were right. I'm not talking about the Never Trumpers who are no longer conservatives or who have "changed their minds" on core issues because . . . Trump.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.