Tariffs !!!!

8,110 Views | 108 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by quash
corncob pipe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My president... this is dangerous !!!
80sBEAR
corncob pipe said:

Agreed!
"This is not an institution of football."
-- Dr. David Garland
cBUrurenthusism
corncob pipe said:

Wherever quash is right now you just gave him at least a semi
quash
Lot of pushback within the administration, didn't stop him. Bad for markets.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
cBUrurenthusism
I'm kinda sorta kinda maybe not really starting to ease into the thought that this might indeed be a clown show
blackie
Beyond dumb. People are not going to like what this does to their 401(k).
Ludwig von Missi
Protectionism is one of those things that always sounds better during a speech than it does when it is put into policy.

corncob pipe
cBUrurenthusism said:

I'm kinda sorta kinda maybe not really starting to ease into the thought that this might indeed be a clown show

Jezus H CRISTO !!!

when you are contemplating jumping.... THEN I KNOW THERE IS SMOKE IN THIS TEE PEE

fk me
ATL Bear
One of several reasons why I didn't and can't vote for Trump. The tariffs and protectionism are an absolute disaster.
cBUrurenthusism
corncob pipe said:

cBUrurenthusism said:

Jezus H CRISTO !!!

when you are contemplating jumping.... THEN I KNOW THERE IS SMOKE IN THIS TEE PEE

fk me
Have you fully studied this and appreciated it??????

He would have to disembowel Hillary with a rusty deer antler on PPV to make up for that...and then maybe

I mean even a wuss like Cornyn is going W TEE F
corncob pipe
I'm at a loss... I'm emotional... he's a fking NY bigshot DEMOCRAT ... we've been HAD
corncob pipe
Take a close look at Feinstien in that GIF... REMEMBER IT

that body lingo is what the rulers are going to be doing when they line our Grandkids up next to a big track ho DITCH..,. to take the FINAL PILL
cBUrurenthusism
corncob pipe said:

Take a close look at Feinstien in that GIF... REMEMBER IT

that body lingo is what the rulers are going to be doing when they line our Grandkids up next to a big track ho DITCH..,. to take the FINAL PILL
Yup and she'll still be alive then too. And McCain will still be limping around battling his terminal brain tumor
And Pelosi will be there holding her great great grandkids that she painted brown

And the worst part is it will be bubba and jinx's grandkids pulling the trigger....let that marinate
corncob pipe
80sBEAR
Prices of most steel product groups are at six year highs. Many of the mills are putting their customers on allocation. Lead times are way out and the supply is tightening. The U.S. can't supply all the steel we need.

Should imports be shut out, steel prices will rise rapidly. Think about everything that steel goes into. This includes roads, bridges, and The Wall!
-- Dr. David Garland
DaveyBear
I am free trade as anyone on this board.

That being said, many of us also understand that negotiations are essentially won or lost before anyone sits at the table.

Reagan had Gorbachev bent over the table before Air Force One had even landed, he did it through strong will and scaring the **** out of the US Media and KGB - essentially the same group.

Kennedy took Kruschev to the woodshed as well, we were going to get out Turkey in 6 years anyway.

Ol Chuck DeGaulle convinced Truman to forgo two separate meetings with Ho Chi Minh in the name of peace and solidarity among allies. Ol Ho Chi went to the Soviets instead. Great job to Chuck to have us do their bidding.

Stalin took Truman the woodshed as well.

Unions took Truman to the outhouse and ensured that his administration was completely under their control.

Hitler made Stalin and paper waiving Neville look like fools. He desperately needed more slave labor to ramp up that vaunted killing machine and both uncle Joe and weak kneed Neville granted him that.

So many examples of negotiating through strength or deception that its foolish to assume any signal is going to be long term policy.
quash
Nothing this president says can be assumed to be a long term policy.

Having said that, tariffs will never bring back jobs lost to automation.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
bubbadog
DaveyBear said:

Kennedy took Kruschev to the woodshed as well, we were going to get out Turkey in 6 years anyway.

Don't let me stop you, but we're, um, still in Turkey.
Incirlik Air Base says hey.
We also have another air base at Izmir on the Adriatic.
bubbadog
quash said:

Nothing this president says can be assumed to be a long term policy.

Having said that, tariffs will never bring back jobs lost to automation.
Agree on both statements.
Nguyen One Soon
80sBEAR said:

Prices of most steel product groups are at six year highs. Many of the mills are putting their customers on allocation. Lead times are way out and the supply is tightening. The U.S. can't supply all the steel we need.

Should imports be shut out, steel prices will rise rapidly. Think about everything that steel goes into. This includes roads, bridges, and The Wall!
So Trump tells whoever is supposedly holding his money to buy American aluminum and steel stock and sell everything else, then "Watch what stupid sh*t I am going to say." The man is a loose cannon. Someone needs to hide his cannon balls.
william
orange hair giveth.
orange hair taketh away.

absalom absalom absalom.

- LFS

{ sipping kombucha }
J.R.
ATL Bear said:

One of several reasons why I didn't and can't vote for Trump. The tariffs and protectionism are an absolute disaster.
Shut up. and yes, you are correct!
corncob pipe
He needs to reconsider this asap

Didn't he castigate the ABC reporter for causing the market to lose some 300 pts, suggesting possibly that there might be a legal case against ABC...

he said tariffs and we are off 800

what am I missing here ?

Bona Fide Bear
This is terrible policy. If he doesn't change his mind on this, he will cost republicans in the mid-terms and he will likely lose in 2020. A lot of the positivity he injected into the stock market and economic expectations are erased with this proposal. At best, government gives businesses opportunies to succeed, and this will accomplish the opposite.
bubbadog
Begin countdown until we hear from Fox commentators that the Dow is part of the Deep State...
cBUrurenthusism
False Alarm!

I let out a little squirt of tinkle and panicked yesterday
I'm back on board for more of the roller coaster ride

But I will never forgive him for giving Feinstein a chance to become a living Nazi propaganda poster squirming in her chair and rubbing her hands together over disarming Americans
80sBEAR
Fascinating that this is one of the few topics on the R & P board I have seen that most everyone here seems to be in agreement.
-- Dr. David Garland
bubbadog
cBUrurenthusism said:

False Alarm!

I let out a little squirt of tinkle and panicked yesterday
I'm back on board for more of the roller coaster ride

But I will never forgive him for giving Feinstein a chance to become a living Nazi propaganda poster squirming in her chair and rubbing her hands together over disarming Americans
Feinstein was already a Nazi propaganda poster. She's a Jew.

All that Trump changed was to improve Feinstein's rank on the neo-Nazi mental list of who goes first into the gas chamber when der Revolution kommt.
cBUrurenthusism
Interesting that a lot of the rhetoric surrounding Trump Tariff Talk is that it's economic war against China

China isn't even in our top 10 steel importers

Leafcucks are #1

corncob pipe
why am I, all the sudden, humming Gordon Lightfoot's Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald ?????????
quash
National security threat from the great white north.
cBUrurenthusism
quash said:

National security threat from the great white north.
Handled

80sBEAR
Bona Fide Bear said:

This is terrible policy. If he doesn't change his mind on this, he will cost republicans in the mid-terms and he will likely lose in 2020. A lot of the positivity he injected into the stock market and economic expectations are erased with this proposal. At best, government gives businesses opportunies to succeed, and this will accomplish the opposite.
Good post, Bona Fide. I have been in the steel industry my entire working career. I am afraid that this will be a repeat or worse of what happened in 2001 when George W. Bush implemented Section 201 which levied extremely high tariffs and duties on imported steel. At the time, imported steel was coming in cheaper than the domestic mills' cost. Something had to be done. It did save the mills but there were unintended consequences. When Section 201 was put in, the U.S. mills raised prices rapidly. Many large fabrication shops and contractors that had jobs went bankrupt as a result. Mill jobs were saved but MANY downstream jobs were lost.

Once pricing reaches certain levels, many companies may decide to delay large projects and a lot of the building activity stops. Gonna be interesting.
-- Dr. David Garland
Mitch Blood Green
NRA put him back in the box. This could change by Monday, too.
quash
Wondering if NAFTA complications result.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/23/news/economy/trump-tariff-power/index.html
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.