Cambridge Analytica Unraveling

4,118 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by fadskier
HuMcK
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CA got Project Veritas'd, except Channel 4 seems to know more about what they're doing than that idiot O'Keefe. This is shaping up to be quite the scandal in it's own right, notwithstanding the overlap with the Russia scandal, so predictably the Trumpists on this forum are treating it as if it is radioactive waste and not touching it. Also, has anyone heard from Steve Bannon lately?

Quote:

Senior executives at Cambridge Analytica the data company that credits itself with Donald Trump's presidential victory have been secretly filmed saying they could entrap politicians in compromising situations with bribes and Ukrainian sex workers.

In an undercover investigation by Channel 4 News, the company's chief executive Alexander Nix said the British firm secretly campaigns in elections across the world. This includes operating through a web of shadowy front companies, or by using sub-contractors.

In one exchange, when asked about digging up material on political opponents, Mr Nix said they could "send some girls around to the candidate's house", adding that Ukrainian girls "are very beautiful, I find that works very well".

In another he said: "We'll offer a large amount of money to the candidate, to finance his campaign in exchange for land for instance, we'll have the whole thing recorded, we'll blank out the face of our guy and we post it on the Internet."

Offering bribes to public officials is an offence under both the UK Bribery Act and the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. Cambridge Analytica operates in the UK and is registered in the United States.

The admissions were filmed at a series of meetings at London hotels over four months, between November 2017 and January 2018. An undercover reporter for Channel 4 News posed as a fixer for a wealthy client hoping to get candidates elected in Sri Lanka.

Mr Nix told our reporter: "we're used to operating through different vehicles, in the shadows, and I look forward to building a very long-term and secretive relationship with you."

Along with Mr Nix, the meetings also included Mark Turnbull, the managing director of CA Political Global, and the company's chief data officer, Dr Alex Tayler.

Mr Turnbull described how, having obtained damaging material on opponents, Cambridge Analytica can discreetly push it onto social media and the internet.

He said: " we just put information into the bloodstream of the internet, and then, and then watch it grow, give it a little push every now and again like a remote control. It has to happen without anyone thinking, 'that's propaganda', because the moment you think 'that's propaganda', the next question is, 'who's put that out?'."

Mr Nix also said: "Many of our clients don't want to be seen to be working with a foreign company so often we set up, if we are working then we can set up fake IDs and websites, we can be students doing research projects attached to a university, we can be tourists, there's so many options we can look at. I have lots of experience in this."

In the meetings, the executives boasted that Cambridge Analytica and its parent company Strategic Communications Laboratories (SCL) had worked in more than two hundred elections across the world, including Nigeria, Kenya, the Czech Republic, India and Argentina.

The company is at the centre of a scandal over its role in the harvesting of more than 50 million Facebook profiles.

Chief executive Mr Nix has also been accused of misleading a parliamentary select committee, which is now asking him to provide further information. He has denied the allegations.

Tonight, a Cambridge Analytica spokesman said: "We entirely refute any allegation that Cambridge Analytica or any of its affiliates use entrapment, bribes, or so-called "honey-traps" for any purpose whatsoever We routinely undertake conversations with prospective clients to try to tease out any unethical or illegal intentions"

They said: "Cambridge Analytica does not use untrue material for any purpose."

And they insisted that opposition research and intelligence gathering, the use of subcontractors and working discreetly with clients are all common practice and legitimate.

https://www.channel4.com/news/cambridge-analytica-revealed-trumps-election-consultants-filmed-saying-they-use-bribes-and-sex-workers-to-entrap-politicians-investigation
HuMcK
British authorities have already been granted warrants to seize servers, so this will probably get even bigger. Channel 4 is also saying the next part (this is part 2, the facebook profile harvesting was part 1) in their investigative series will deal with the US election.
HuMcK
2014 would have been the same timeframe that CA was meeting with sanctioned Russian oil company Lukoil executives. The whistleblower says Lukoil was interested in targeting American voters. Also, one of the guys who concocted the foundational psychological theories that CA uses and co-founded CA is a Russian who worked at St Petersburg University and conducted research into psychological profiling with Russian state grants.

fadskier
HuMcK said:

"Trumpists" as you say will probably treat this the same way liberals did about the "baby-harvesting" videos.

It will be interesting to see (and see proven) what is fact and what is fiction. Unfortunately, you can't believe anything anymore.
HuMcK
fadskier said:

HuMcK said:

"Trumpists" as you say will probably treat this the same way liberals did about the "baby-harvesting" videos.

It will be interesting to see (and see proven) what is fact and what is fiction. Unfortunately, you can't believe anything anymore.
Those videos sparked multiple congressional investigations (that found no wrongdoing last I heard) and the passage of new laws in some states. And yet, for some reason the HPSCI has already signaled they don't care to investigate CA and they still plan to end the Russian meddling investigation on Thursday. Almost as if they're scared of what they might find if they go looking.
ABC BEAR
Funny how libs see scandal and doom when others who do not share their worldview engage in legal activity.
HuMcK
ABC BEAR said:

Funny how libs see scandal and doom when others who do not share their worldview engage in legal activity.

Once upon a time we used to care about ethics too. That said, the bribes and honey-pot prostitute stings they talk about in the video are in fact illegal acts. Taking Ukrainian prostitutes to other countries for sex work (which Nix said they had previous success with) is actually human-trafficking, a very serious crime.
JusHappy2BeHere
ABC BEAR said:

Funny how Republicans see scandal and doom when others who do not share their worldview engage in legal activity.
I see.... you mean like the crazy right screamed at the rain over:

Benghazi
IRS
Emails
Fast and Furious

You know how to tell a real scandal from faux outrage?

indictments and convictions

the only one O'Keefe ever got indicted was himself.... Watergate came with indictments and convictions... Iran-Contra came with indictments and convictions... Valarie Playme outing came with indictments and convictions... Russia has already come with indictments and convictions with more to come....

we will see over the next few months if CA is guilty of actual crimes... you will know when they come down on them with indictments and convictions.
"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Mahatma Gandhi
riflebear
Guarantee the media won't report on this. Everyone uses data analytics in politics.

cBUrurenthusism
Doc Holliday
Dems are hypocrites. Every last one of them.
Canada2017
Doc Holliday said:

Dems are hypocrites. Every last one of them.

There are sincere Democrats/leftists .

However many are 'educated' to a job limited reality and are royally pissed off. They discover too late those 'degrees' in English, Sociology, etc from online or little liberal arts schools don't pay squat.

Others have never been or spent limited time in central and South America .....so they really don't comprehend the negative results of their ideology .

cinque
JusHappy2BeHere said:

ABC BEAR said:

Funny how Republicans see scandal and doom when others who do not share their worldview engage in legal activity.

Benghazi
IRS
Emails
Fast and Furious

You know how to tell a real scandal from faux outrage?

indictments and convictions

the only one O'Keefe ever got indicted was himself.... Watergate came with indictments and convictions... Iran-Contra came with indictments and convictions... Valarie Playme outing came with indictments and convictions... Russia has already come with indictments and convictions with more to come....

we will see over the next few months if CA is guilty of actual crimes... you will know when they come down on them with indictments and convictions.
Cogent, persuasive response. CA just suspended its CEO. More to come.
cinque
riflebear said:

Guarantee the media won't report on this. Everyone uses data analytics in politics.

Not the same thing. Let me know if you need me to explain how they are different.
corncob pipe
fadskier
cinque said:

riflebear said:

Not the same thing. Let me know if you need me to explain how they are different.
We already know what's different...race.
fadskier
Poor Cinque...another narrative busted...another lie

https://www.dailywire.com/news/28455/narrative-fail-cbs-drops-bomb-trump-cambridge-james-barrett
corncob pipe
LOL!! it's back to Stormy D... !?!?!
cinque
fadskier said:

cinque said:

riflebear said:

Au contraire, my funny little dotard. There could not be a more stark difference in the content of the character of these two presidents.
fadskier
cinque said:

fadskier said:

cinque said:

riflebear said:

Au contraire, my funny little dotard. There could not be a more stark difference in the content of the character of these two presidents.
You're right. Trump is far and above Obama. Glad we finally agree on something.
william
this is nothing new... read the ted white books on the elections of 60,64,68, 72......

technology leverages things GREATLY - but in the end it's the same basic pattern.

- BUmma

{ sipping 44 oz beverage* of my own choosing }

* - w/ a custom meted amt of ice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodore_H._White

BTW - these are a good read** if you are posting on a Politics forum.

** esp if in the nude. alone. in the deep night.

BID.

Fetterman2024
bubbadog
fadskier said:

cinque said:

fadskier said:

cinque said:

riflebear said:

Go ahead and make your case. I'll take you off Ignore to see your brief for how the content of Trump's character is far and above that of Obama.
fadskier
bubbadog said:

fadskier said:

cinque said:

fadskier said:

cinque said:

riflebear said:

Go ahead and make your case. I'll take you off Ignore to see your brief for how the content of Trump's character is far and above that of Obama.
I don't have to make my case. You wouldn't believe it anyway. Please put me back on ignore. It was better not listening to your garbage.
bubbadog
fadskier said:

bubbadog said:

fadskier said:

cinque said:

fadskier said:

cinque said:

riflebear said:

I don't have to make my case. You wouldn't believe it anyway. Please put me back on ignore. It was better not listening to your garbage.
I accept your surrender.
cinque
This is a chilling account of the villainy of CA and explains in detail how they manipulate unsuspecting voters.

ABC BEAR
JusHappy2BeHere said:

ABC BEAR said:

Benghazi
IRS
Emails
Fast and Furious

.....all of which will need to be revisited because of disclosures of DOJ, FBI and DOS involvement in manufacturing cover-ups at the behest of the Obama White House.

Just for old times sake, let's take another look at the IRS treatment of conservative groups seeking non-profit status during the Obama years.
cinque
ABC BEAR said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

ABC BEAR said:

Benghazi
IRS
Emails
Fast and Furious

.....all of which will need to be revisited because of disclosures of DOJ, FBI and DOS involvement in manufacturing cover-ups at the behest of the Obama White House.

Just for old times sake, let's take another look at the IRS treatment of conservative groups seeking non-profit status during the Obama years.
Liberal groups were treated in a similar fashion. You have nothing.
JusHappy2BeHere
cinque said:

ABC BEAR said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

ABC BEAR said:

Benghazi
IRS
Emails
Fast and Furious

Liberal groups were treated in a similar fashion. You have nothing.
and It was all done by a GW Bush appointee who was struggling to find her way through a brand new set of rules with tons of groups asking for tax free status for their group....

these people can't see facts... only their own hate for their fellow Americans
"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Mahatma Gandhi
fadskier
bubbadog said:

fadskier said:

bubbadog said:

fadskier said:

cinque said:

fadskier said:

cinque said:

riflebear said:

I accept your surrender.
Wow. How can I be more clear? I don't care what you think.
fadskier
Again, I don't get why this is important. Every time you login to the internet or social media, you are being tracked. If you don't like it, don't log in. Anyone who expects privacy while on the internet is an uniformed idiot.
Canada2017
The Russian-Trump propoganda is basically finished.......the public simply isn't buying it.

So leftists are merely switching 'controversies ' to see which ....if any.....has a chance of hurting Trump in 2020.

This mud slinging will never end.
Doc Holliday
Canada2017 said:

The Russian-Trump propoganda is basically finished.......the public simply isn't buying it.

So leftists are merely switching 'controversies ' to see which ....if any.....has a chance of hurting Trump in 2020.

Thats all they have.

The DNC is broke. They have no candidates. Their solutions require you to lose loads of money and give up freedoms.

The only thing they can run on is hatred. Hatred of hard working people, gun owners, white males, Christians and conservatives.
cinque
Doc Holliday said:

Canada2017 said:

MThe Russian-Trump propoganda is basically finished.......the public simply isn't buying it.

Thats all they have.

The DNC is broke. They have no candidates. Their solutions require you to lose loads of money and give up freedoms.

The only thing they can run on is hatred. Hatred of hard working people, gun owners, white males, Christians and conservatives.
Does Trump sling mud?
Doc Holliday
cinque said:

Doc Holliday said:

Canada2017 said:

MThe Russian-Trump propoganda is basically finished.......the public simply isn't buying it.

Thats all they have.

Does Trump sling mud?
Trump got me a bonus and a tax cut. What can your party offer me financially?
cinque
Doc Holliday said:

cinque said:

Doc Holliday said:

Canada2017 said:

Thats all they have.

Does Trump sling mud?
Trump got me a bonus and a tax cut. What can your party offer me financially?
Would it help if I asked the question differently?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.